Application Fee Waiver from Virginia Law?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Kronk

Re: Application Fee Waiver from Virginia Law?

Postby Kronk » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:34 pm

I feel like I am the only human in the 09-10 cycle that didn't get a UVA fee waiver. Maybe because I took the LSAT in February? Which address do people generally send emails requesting those (from any school--i.e. admissions office, dean of admissions, etc.)

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:36 pm

CE2JD wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:
napolnic wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Don't get too excited. If last cycle is any indication, UVA is just trying to drive up application volume. I wouldn't feel like I was overstepping by saying most UVA fee waivers turned into WL/reject or straight up reject.

Well, you could also say that about the entire applicant pool. As for the first part, if this were a new strategy unique to UVA, sure, but seeing as this has been going on for quite a while, I doubt it's the reason that UVA received a record number of applicants for the last cycle.

Most schools don't send them to people with no chance of admission. UVA gave me a waiver last cycle with a 159/3.6.

That's funny because I had a 170/3.5 and they didn't give me one.

I meant most schools don't do what UVA did. If you receive a waiver from Notre Dame/Wake/Penn State/etc (other than need based) its probably because you have a great shot at gaining acceptance. My highest fee waiver last cycle was UVA (rejected), the second highest fee waiver came from Wake Forest which was ranked 30 spots lower (accepted). I knew and they knew my 159 was not getting me in but a 12 dollar lottery ticket was worth it for me.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:40 pm

VoidSix wrote:I feel like I am the only human in the 09-10 cycle that didn't get a UVA fee waiver. Maybe because I took the LSAT in February? Which address do people generally send emails requesting those (from any school--i.e. admissions office, dean of admissions, etc.)

lawadmit@virginia.edu

If they say no you will be the first I heard of.

letsgojayhawks

Postby letsgojayhawks » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:41 pm

I don't see it as a suspect practice at all. It should not cost $60-100 to apply to a law school. Grabbing the money of twenty-somethings with low-paying jobs and undergrad debt who are essentially signing up for 10 more years of debt by choosing to go into law is unethical. As if paying for the LSAT, LSDAS, and law tuition wasn't bad enough.

I never considered UVA, but I also just got their fee waiver, and hey, if it's free, and equally or better ranked than another one of my picks, why not...

Postby 02082010 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:44 pm

letsgojayhawks wrote:I don't see it as a suspect practice at all. It should not cost $60-100 to apply to a law school. Grabbing the money of twenty-somethings with low-paying jobs and undergrad debt who are essentially signing up for 10 more years of debt by choosing to go into law is unethical. As if paying for the LSAT, LSDAS, and law tuition wasn't bad enough.

I never considered UVA, but I also just got their fee waiver, and hey, if it's free, and equally or better ranked than another one of my picks, why not...

I think you missed what was being argued about. Not the cost, but sending them to people who numerically have no chance of admission.

wadeny

Postby wadeny » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:51 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:Don't get too excited. If last cycle is any indication, UVA is just trying to drive up application volume. I wouldn't feel like I was overstepping by saying most UVA fee waivers turned into WL/reject or straight up reject.

+1 to this. Regardless of who UVA is sending them to, it's not like a fee waiver is an indication of automatic acceptance. If you send in an app and get in, great. But fee waivers often work to the advantage of law schools as well, particularly with app volume. FWIW, I was one of the "lucky" people who got a fee waiver last cycle (from UVA and other schools), but either ended up on WLs for 8+ months or got rejected.

iamlife1001

Postby iamlife1001 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:59 pm

the
Last edited by iamlife1001 on Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iamlife1001

Postby iamlife1001 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:04 pm

iamlife1001 wrote:
rondemarino wrote:Man, it sure would be nice if USNWR stopped pretending that acceptance rate is somehow a metric worthy of consideration in ranking law schools. Isn't 'purchase intent' measured by where the top scores/GPAs go?

p.s: I wonder how much the UCLA and Boalt are paying USNWR to keep that in the rankings.

boalt doesn't award random fee waivers soo if you want to talk about gaming the rankings....

Boalts and uclas lower 25th does increase their apps however over the last 2 years many other t14s have lowered their 25th as well despite overall rising LSAT scores. I.e duke 165 from 167 etc. Fwiw; Also boalt gives little hope to those with lower gpas and unlike the aformentioned schools gives them no fee waiver . It's douchy giving waiver to people you know will have little to no chance .

I do agree that acceptance rate it largely bull; however it pays schools who selectively admit their applicants instead of those who run a pure numbers game and there are many more bullshit criteria to eliminate that are even more worthless than acc rate

iPhone posting :)

gossipgirl

Postby gossipgirl » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:27 pm

VoidSix wrote:I feel like I am the only human in the 09-10 cycle that didn't get a UVA fee waiver. Maybe because I took the LSAT in February? Which address do people generally send emails requesting those (from any school--i.e. admissions office, dean of admissions, etc.)

I took it in February and got it yesterday. Sorry.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:47 pm

Pfft, fine. Don't want UVA anyway ;).

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:35 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:I think you missed what was being argued about. Not the cost, but sending them to people who numerically have no chance of admission.

You mean people who have a statistically small or insignificant chance of admission. There's a difference, since UVA is sending them to people who have some miniscule chance of being admitted.

UVA does appear to be a school that at least gives some weight to letters and statements and makes some unusual admissions decisions to pad out their class once they've made their numbers. I was a low-GPA splitter with only a median (for UVA) LSAT and almost every law school predictor says UVA would reject me, but here I am in my first week at the UVA C/O 2012.

And I would never have even applied if they hadn't sent me a fee waiver.

So, I completely fail to understand people complaining about getting fee waivers for a school they're not likely to get into. If you don't like it, hey, you can just not use the fee waiver! Don't knock the whole system, because sometimes it benefits applicants who don't have money to apply everywhere but wouldn't mind making an app to a T14 school for free.

Postby 02082010 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:45 pm

I didn't get one. I'm not complaining. I'm just pointed out what happened last cycle and this is what the conversation became. Congrats on your acceptance. I will be EDing to UVA or Chicago this coming cycle so it's not like I have some vendetta against the school or anything.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:39 pm

letsgojayhawks wrote:I don't see it as a suspect practice at all. It should not cost $60-100 to apply to a law school. Grabbing the money of twenty-somethings with low-paying jobs and undergrad debt who are essentially signing up for 10 more years of debt by choosing to go into law is unethical. As if paying for the LSAT, LSDAS, and law tuition wasn't bad enough.

You do realize it costs the school money to hire people to read your application, answer your phone calls, and respond to the billion e-mails from applicants, right? If you're really that destitute, get an LSAC waiver.

Postby 02082010 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:04 pm

worldtraveler wrote:

You do realize it costs the school money to hire people to read your application, answer your phone calls, and respond to the billion e-mails from applicants, right? If you're really that destitute, get an LSAC waiver.

haha I didn't realize how funny it was to call someone destitute.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:34 pm

chicagocubsrule wrote:I just received an email from UVA that said:
You have an impressive record and we'd like you to apply, so we've waived your $75 application fee. The fee waiver will be applied automatically when you submit the LSAC e-app.

Has anyone else received this email? Is it just a marketing piece they use to send all potential applicants?

UVA doesn't accept law students anymore.

Nietzsche_NYU

Postby Nietzsche_NYU » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:38 pm

worldtraveler wrote:

Fee waivers to people who are most likely auto-rejects, to cut down on the costs you mentioned and still maintain the USNWR ranking, seems like a pretty smart practice to me.

letsgojayhawks

Postby letsgojayhawks » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:09 pm

worldtraveler wrote:

It has nothing to do with being destitute, I just see it as unethical. Doesn't it seem a little odd that we pay money either to be rejected or to have the privilege of paying $40k+? Of course there's administrative overhead, but law schools have massive endowments, especially the top 20 or so. Not to mention tuition often includes odd little fees that cover administrative costs (at least my undergrad one does).

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:17 am

letsgojayhawks wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:

It has nothing to do with being destitute, I just see it as unethical. Doesn't it seem a little odd that we pay money either to be rejected or to have the privilege of paying $40k+? Of course there's administrative overhead, but law schools have massive endowments, especially the top 20 or so. Not to mention tuition often includes odd little fees that cover administrative costs (at least my undergrad one does).
But you have no qualms about the 40k tuition?

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:46 am

letsgojayhawks wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:

Sigh...You are paying for a service. You pay them to make a decision on your app. If you don't like it, you don't have to apply, or can apply only places that let you do it for free. If you go to law school, get used to paying money for stuff. If this bothers you, perhaps pursue a different career.

etwake

Postby etwake » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:56 am

heh.... welcome to TLS people. I feel like I was in your exact situations a year ago (I was) constantly checking TLS and my e-mail to see if I recieved a fee waiver and if other people did. Its the first step in the application process, and is relatively exciting, as this is your first step after the LSAT towards law school!!!!!

I don't know if anyone's started one yet, but I think its time someone with a little bit of patience and responsibility started a 'Fee Waivers 09-10' thread, so people can keep track of whether or not they've received waivers from certain schools.

Congrats!!

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:19 am

^ that exists already. 2 of them i believe.

ashkenazy

Postby ashkenazy » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:17 pm

I just got a fee waiver today. I'm asian with a 167, 3.51 and I don't see myself being competitive at all.

Along with what another person posted already, they included some minority statistics in their email to me. I don't see why they'd send a fee waiver to a 25th percentile applicant, especially to an applicant of a ethnicity that's usually reverse discriminated!

I could definitely see them just throwing out waivers to increase app volume. But that doesn't mean I won't give it a shot.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:19 pm

CE2JD wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:
napolnic wrote:

Well, you could also say that about the entire applicant pool. As for the first part, if this were a new strategy unique to UVA, sure, but seeing as this has been going on for quite a while, I doubt it's the reason that UVA received a record number of applicants for the last cycle.

Most schools don't send them to people with no chance of admission. UVA gave me a waiver last cycle with a 159/3.6.

That's funny because I had a 170/3.5 and they didn't give me one.

ditto but i gave them 75 bucks or whatever 2 days ago lol

Jockin Jay-Z

Postby Jockin Jay-Z » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:55 pm

Hey, it's a $12 app to a T14. Why complain?

mjpyeatt

Postby mjpyeatt » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:52 am

Do you still have that extra fee waiver??? I'd love it!

spiffypyro wrote:I got that email and haven't visited. Actually, I'd emailed them for a fee waiver about a week ago and got it then, so I received it twice haha. Anyone else want one? ;)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”