Application Fee Waiver from Virginia Law?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
chicagocubsrule

Application Fee Waiver from Virginia Law?

Postby chicagocubsrule » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:42 pm

I just received an email from UVA that said:
You have an impressive record and we'd like you to apply, so we've waived your $75 application fee. The fee waiver will be applied automatically when you submit the LSAC e-app.

Has anyone else received this email? Is it just a marketing piece they use to send all potential applicants?

mizzoutigers88

Re: Application Fee Waiver from Virginia Law?

Postby mizzoutigers88 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:42 pm

cubs suck buddy

Foozle

Postby Foozle » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:43 pm

I just got one too.

I'm excited because I was going to ask them for one anyway.

babaghanouj

Postby babaghanouj » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:59 pm

Charleston2010

Postby Charleston2010 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:38 pm

I got a UVA fee waiver today but I figured it was because I visited them yesterday. Have they sent waivers to people who didn't visit? Not sent waivers to people who did visit? Wondering if I should get excited or not.

dynamic180

Postby dynamic180 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:45 pm

I didn't visit and just got one. looks like they send our randomly, they didn't even mention my name in the email . I am wondering if anyone did't get one.
Charleston2010 wrote:I got a UVA fee waiver today but I figured it was because I visited them yesterday. Have they sent waivers to people who didn't visit? Not sent waivers to people who did visit? Wondering if I should get excited or not.

babaghanouj

Postby babaghanouj » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:56 pm

babaghanouj wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79774

Charleston2010

Postby Charleston2010 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:01 pm

I was mostly wondering if they send waivers to everyone who signs up and takes a tour there.. that thread doesn't say anything about that sort of thing

babaghanouj

Postby babaghanouj » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:50 pm

Unless we're to assume that all those people posting about receiving the same UVA waiver today were on your tour yesterday, then, yes, that thread pretty much answers your question (as well as others in this thread).

catharsis

Postby catharsis » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:51 pm

ive never even been to virginia and i got one haha. super excited about it though!

Oe.Maas

Postby Oe.Maas » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:53 pm

I've never visited and got one a few hrs ago. Did the LSAT in Feb so it looks like they are just going down the list of all potential applicants. I was kind of pumped at first but now i am :cry:

Charleston2010

Postby Charleston2010 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:09 pm

What was running through my head was if UVA happened to send out their waivers today and decided to include those that had visited or expressed an interest, after all I have no idea what goes into their decision. Hence my interest in knowing if someone toured and did not receive a waiver.

rondemarino

Postby rondemarino » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:13 pm

Man, it sure would be nice if USNWR stopped pretending that acceptance rate is somehow a metric worthy of consideration in ranking law schools. Isn't 'purchase intent' measured by where the top scores/GPAs go?

p.s: I wonder how much the UCLA and Boalt are paying USNWR to keep that in the rankings.

Postby 02082010 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:33 pm

Don't get too excited. If last cycle is any indication, UVA is just trying to drive up application volume. I wouldn't feel like I was overstepping by saying most UVA fee waivers turned into WL/reject or straight up reject.

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:50 pm

Yeah the fee wavier looks pretty automatically generated... anybody know what the LSAT score cut off would be to get this? I mean i'm pretty sure they only have my LSAT score and no other info.

spiffypyro

Postby spiffypyro » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:02 pm

I got that email and haven't visited. Actually, I'd emailed them for a fee waiver about a week ago and got it then, so I received it twice haha. Anyone else want one? ;)

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:38 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:Don't get too excited. If last cycle is any indication, UVA is just trying to drive up application volume. I wouldn't feel like I was overstepping by saying most UVA fee waivers turned into WL/reject or straight up reject.

Well, you could also say that about the entire applicant pool. As for the first part, if this were a new strategy unique to UVA, sure, but seeing as this has been going on for quite a while, I doubt it's the reason that UVA received a record number of applicants for the last cycle.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:09 am

napolnic wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:Don't get too excited. If last cycle is any indication, UVA is just trying to drive up application volume. I wouldn't feel like I was overstepping by saying most UVA fee waivers turned into WL/reject or straight up reject.

Well, you could also say that about the entire applicant pool. As for the first part, if this were a new strategy unique to UVA, sure, but seeing as this has been going on for quite a while, I doubt it's the reason that UVA received a record number of applicants for the last cycle.

Most schools don't send them to people with no chance of admission. UVA gave me a waiver last cycle with a 159/3.6.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:50 am

LSATfromNC wrote:
napolnic wrote:

Most schools don't send them to people with no chance of admission. UVA gave me a waiver last cycle with a 159/3.6.

That's technically right on the cusp of their acceptance range.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:31 am

Kohinoor wrote:That's technically right on the cusp of their acceptance range.

Only for URM's, show me a white male 159/3.6 acceptance at UVA and I will show you someone who won the powerball.

lawlover829

Postby lawlover829 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:35 am

LSATfromNC wrote:

Only for URM's, show me a white male 159/3.6 acceptance at UVA and I will show you someone who won the powerball.

+1

napolnic

Postby napolnic » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:42 am

LSATfromNC wrote:

Which they don't know. When giving fee waivers, they only get bands of people, say a certain LSAT range or a GPA range. You seem to think that UVA is unique in it's distribution of fee waivers. Should I feel insulted that Harvard asked me to apply when I had as close to zero possibility of getting in?

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:48 am

LSATfromNC wrote:
napolnic wrote:

That's funny because I had a 170/3.5 and they didn't give me one.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:50 am

napolnic wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:

Which they don't know. When giving fee waivers, they only get bands of people, say a certain LSAT range or a GPA range. You seem to think that UVA is unique in it's distribution of fee waivers. Should I feel insulted that Harvard asked me to apply when I had as close to zero possibility of getting in?

I have gotten CRS waivers because they knew I was a veteran, I highly doubt they do not know race.

Postby 02082010 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:03 pm

napolnic wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:

Ummm school definitely are aware of race when sending out fee waivers. Its part of the self-reported profile (along with GPA) that schools use to determine who to send them to. Noone is saying UVA are unethically POS but this practice is definitely suspect. You think it's a mere coincidence that their apps were up 20%+ and their peers only noted modest <5% increase or even overall decreases?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”