Disciplinary Action

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Will an expulsion prevent me from attending law school?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:45 pm

Yes
30%
No
40%
Depends
30%

Total votes: 10

biggestbossthusfar18

Disciplinary Action

Postby biggestbossthusfar18 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:45 pm

Hello,

I was expelled from undergrad due to an addiction-related action for which I've taken full responsibility for and have worked hard to continue recovering. I was wondering if there was anyone out there that has a similar story or someone who was expelled from undergrad that has applied/attended law school. From these pages, I've learned that I must fully disclose what happened, and include an addendum with my applications, which I intend to do. I had a slightly sub-3.0 at this institution, and now have a 3.88 at my new school, though my LSDAS will likely be around 3.2. I got a 164 on the June LSAT.

Anyone out there have major disciplinary action during undergrad? Any stories or help will be greatly appreciated.

biggestbossthusfar18

PrayingforHYS

Re: Disciplinary Action

Postby PrayingforHYS » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:03 pm

biggestbossthusfar18 wrote:Hello,

I was expelled from undergrad due to an addiction-related action for which I've taken full responsibility for and have worked hard to continue recovering. I was wondering if there was anyone out there that has a similar story or someone who was expelled from undergrad that has applied/attended law school. From these pages, I've learned that I must fully disclose what happened, and include an addendum with my applications, which I intend to do. I had a slightly sub-3.0 at this institution, and now have a 3.88 at my new school, though my LSDAS will likely be around 3.2. I got a 164 on the June LSAT.

Anyone out there have major disciplinary action during undergrad? Any stories or help will be greatly appreciated.

biggestbossthusfar18

from what i understand, no single factor will prevent you from getting into law school (or, more importantly, passing the bar) -- this is, however, an obstacle that you'll have to overcome in your application. I recommend using the addendum to write a short essay explaining the circumstances, how you've taken fully responsibility, sought help, rehabilitated yourself, and how your current lifestyle/dedication (3.88 GPA) is a more accurate portrayal of your character

good luck.

YCrevolution

Postby YCrevolution » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:24 pm

sharpnsmooth

Postby sharpnsmooth » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:40 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Mall_cop$ wrote:An expulsion will not preclude you from law school.

Here is a guy that has two felonies and went to law school. Granted, he was denied to the admission to the New York bar 9 times, but that was not your question.

http://indianalawblog.com/archives/2007 ... eat_1.html

FWIW, that guy also was convicted of attempted murder. I'm not saying the NY bar was right or wrong, but attempted murder is usually a bit more serious then an addiction problem.

where did he go to law school? article doesn't say.

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:49 pm

At what point in your undergrad career did this happen? I can see there being a difference between freshman and junior year. The more positive progress you can show since this happened, the better you will look to law schools.

Unless this happened late in undergrad I expect you will have a somewhat normal cycle. Unless there is some reason for people to think the underlying issue will pop up, or that you don't take this seriously, your numbers should drive your cycle.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”