Choose a tier 1 school or a top IP school? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mecekitten

New

Choose a tier 1 school or a top IP school?

Post by mecekitten » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:35 pm

I have a BS in mechanical engineering and currently work for the patent office. I want to become a patent attorney and am starting the law school application process.

I have a decent GPA and LSAT, but nothing good enough to guarantee a Boalt acceptance letter.

After looking at the US News rankings, I'm wondering if it is better to choose a law school with a high rank and good reputation overall, or a top ranking IP school. Obviously, it is ideal to attend a school with both (like Boalt or Stanford), but I don't know if my numbers are good enough.

Any thoughts, Ken?

Ken

Bronze

Go with the best overall school generally

Post by Ken » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:19 am

The ideal of course is to marry both a great school with a great program, such as Stanford or Boalt for IP. However, this is often not the case.

I generally recommend that applicants pick the best overall school if the difference is great, but if the difference is small, go with a slightly less regarded law school that is strong in your area of expertise.

For example, Santa Clara Law School has a very strong IP program and excellent IP employment prospects due to its being located in the heart of Silicon Valley. Santa Clara Law School is a strong regional law school, but never mentioned as a top 50 law school. If you got in to a top 50 law school in a location you like that does offer some IP classes ( you need a law school that offers at least 3+ IP classes), I would recommend going to that law school over Santa Clara Law School.

However, if you got in to a higher ranked law school than Santa Clara but that is not in the top 50, I would then seriously consider attending Santa Clara Law School over the other one.

Schools with strong IP programs that are good overall but not as hard to get in to as Boalt would be:

George Washington
Cardozo
Boston University
DePaul
University of Houston

Cheers,

Ken

legallyblonde27

New

Re: Choose a tier 1 school or a top IP school?

Post by legallyblonde27 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:12 pm

Ken or anyone,

Do you have any thoughts on the University of Akron and their IP program?

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:15 pm

Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

legallyblonde27

New

Post by legallyblonde27 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:16 pm

It's called the search button...and this topic is exactly in line with what I want to know.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:22 pm

Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:24 pm

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
legallyblonde27 wrote:Ken or anyone,

What on earth is wrong with you for graveyarding a FOUR YEAR OLD THREAD.
legallyblonde27 wrote:It's called the search button...and this topic is exactly in line with what I want to know.
No, no it is not. In any case, even if you had the exact same question, still no. Necromancy is sick and wrong.

nrj1084

New

Post by nrj1084 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:28 pm

legallyblonde27 wrote:It's called the search button...and this topic is exactly in line with what I want to know.

Congrats on finding the search button. Now, if you had searched a bit further, you would find that it is not a good idea to go to U of Akron for anything, IP The exception is if you have a job lined up for you already.

legallyblonde27

New

Post by legallyblonde27 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:29 pm

I plan on staying in Ohio though. I'm working at a law firm right now and will probably go part-time. Akron has that for me, as well as a strong IP program.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

legallyblonde27

New

Post by legallyblonde27 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:33 pm

nrj1084 wrote:

Congrats on finding the search button. Now, if you had searched a bit further, you would find that it is not a good idea to go to U of Akron for anything, IP The exception is if you have a job lined up for you already.

Actually, I do.

legallyblonde27

New

Post by legallyblonde27 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:34 pm

Bosque wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:
legallyblonde27 wrote:Ken or anyone,

What on earth is wrong with you for graveyarding a FOUR YEAR OLD THREAD.
No, no it is not. In any case, even if you had the exact same question, still no. Necromancy is sick and wrong.
Sorry to bug you. Thanks everyone for answering my questions so informatively.

legallyblonde27

New

Post by legallyblonde27 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:04 pm

legallyblonde27 wrote:
nrj1084 wrote:

Actually, I do.
Also, I have searched further and have found others who say that Akron is a great school for in-staters. I merely want to get some more opinions.

manbearwig

Bronze

Post by manbearwig » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:53 pm

All I know about Akron is that I just received an email from them today telling me it's still not too late to apply for admission for the fall. That's kind of sketch.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thatsnotmyname

Bronze

Post by thatsnotmyname » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:02 pm

legallyblonde27 wrote:
nrj1084 wrote:

Actually, I do.
Wait, so you have a guaranteed legal job lined up for after you graduate? So why not just attend the cheapest school you can get into if all you want is that job?

legallyblonde27

New

Post by legallyblonde27 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:42 pm

I just want some opinions on Akron's IP program.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:23 am

legallyblonde27 wrote:I just want some opinions on Akron's IP program.
It is bullocks. But if you have a guaranteed job, what do you care?

merichard87

Silver

Post by merichard87 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:46 am

This is the first time I'm hearing Akron and IP in the same sentence. Ohio is not a huge market but they have better schools that could offer you more. Personally, I don't believe in the term guaranteed job I would go to the better school everytime.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BigA

Bronze

Post by BigA » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:16 am

haha. I knew this was an old thread when I saw Ken. I'm not sure when the last time he posted was.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:59 am

Last edited by Leeroy Jenkins on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quishiclocus

New

Post by quishiclocus » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:39 am

If I had a job lined up for post-graduation and for summers that was 99% safe (i.e., with a parent or family friend), Akron had offered me full tuition plus stipend, and I had no intention of ever living in any part of the world where people don't call that little strip of grass past the sidewalk "the devil strip", I would be perfectly happy going to Akron.

That's... a lot of ifs, right there. Folks I knew who went there were having trouble finding work as of five years ago. And a brief bit of work on Google and LinkedIn shows that some of these people are still not working in positions titled "attorney" or any variation thereof. I'm not even sure UA places all that well to Cleveland, much less any further afield.

legallyblonde27

New

Post by legallyblonde27 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:33 am

quishiclocus wrote:If I had a job lined up for post-graduation and for summers that was 99% safe (i.e., with a parent or family friend), Akron had offered me full tuition plus stipend, and I had no intention of ever living in any part of the world where people don't call that little strip of grass past the sidewalk "the devil strip", I would be perfectly happy going to Akron.

That's... a lot of ifs, right there. Folks I knew who went there were having trouble finding work as of five years ago. And a brief bit of work on Google and LinkedIn shows that some of these people are still not working in positions titled "attorney" or any variation thereof. I'm not even sure UA places all that well to Cleveland, much less any further afield.
Thanks, I appreciate your response. I don't know if I can put a percentage on how safe the job would be because of the economy right now. (What if the firm I'm working at decided not to hire ANYONE new when I graduated?) I am keeping a realist mind-set on this, don't worry :) However, I do have a good reputation and great connections from working here. In fact, three of the attorneys I work with graduated from Akron, and they are all excellent attorneys. This is where I come to a cross-roads...because I work with some excellent Akron Law grads, yet some people on here are saying Akron is such a bad school.

Are the people you know who went to Akron trying to find jobs in the Northeast Ohio area?

Further, I would apply to OSU, but they do not have a part-time program, which is really what makes me want to go to Akron, so that I can continue working in the legal field while getting my education.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:11 pm

legallyblonde27 wrote:In fact, three of the attorneys I work with graduated from Akron, and they are all excellent attorneys. This is where I come to a cross-roads...because I work with some excellent Akron Law grads, yet some people on here are saying Akron is such a bad school.
Solution - "bad" schools are less prestigious and their graduates often do not secure high paying or prestigious employment. The education may be fine. But prestige plays a large factor in getting jobs.

HTH

Joymin

New

Post by Joymin » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:45 am

Hello all,

I am not as well aware about law schools as you guys seem to be, and would greatly appreciate feedback on my question. I have a situation similar to that of some of the folks in this discussion thread. I have a 160 LSAT. There is no official GPA figure (I would be applying as an intn’l applicant), and LSAC has given grade ‘A’ after evaluating the foreign transcripts. With a tech background and some work ex in IP, can you suggest what schools to target if I wanted to get in to IP eventually (hopefully, litigation)?

I did see the list Ken posted above, and I went through the descriptions given on TLS. From what I read there:

Houston: Getting outside of Texas seems to be difficult. I don’t know how many IP litigation firms in Texas would be worth considering.
Cardozo: NY city is expensive. Would the higher cost be justified once I am out of Cardozo?
DePaul: Same as above; I will be ending up with a sizable debt.
(GWU and BU cost of attendance might be justified, but I doubt if my numbers are sufficient to get me in.)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks a ton!

Joymin

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”