CFA Good soft? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Re: CFA Good soft?

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:51 pm

After having just looked over the 74 readings for the level 1 exam, i've been tested on about 60 of them at some point in the past 2 years. This can't be a bad thing right?

Brownadam26

New

Post by Brownadam26 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:56 pm

Just wondering... I'm an accounting major that's also thinking about going to law school. I want to know is there a certain way to obtain the CFA in college. Or do I just sign up and they give me the books and 2 years to study? hows this done because CFA sounds way better then MBA JD to me right now. Please include details for me about time it takes to obtain one and anysuggestions of whne I should prepare for it. Also any possible way to study for it in undergrad. What do you suggest I do If I want to make the most out of my accounting degree? (most lucrative degree) should I even go to law school first if I want to get the big bucks?

donzoli

Bronze

Post by donzoli » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:03 pm

Brownadam26 wrote:Just wondering... I'm an accounting major that's also thinking about going to law school. I want to know is there a certain way to obtain the CFA in college. Or do I just sign up and they give me the books and 2 years to study? hows this done because CFA sounds way better then MBA JD to me right now. Please include details for me about time it takes to obtain one and anysuggestions of whne I should prepare for it. Also any possible way to study for it in undergrad. What do you suggest I do If I want to make the most out of my accounting degree? (most lucrative degree) should I even go to law school first if I want to get the big bucks?

I dont think there is any requirements to register to take the CFA exams, but it is 3 levels. Level 1 is only offered every June and Dec. and then levels II and III are only offered every June, so the quickest you could do it would be Level 1 this dec., level 2 in June and then level 3 the next June. Also along with passing all 3 levels you need a certain amount of work experience in a finance type role. Basically its a long term commitment, but for investment management its pretty much a must.

donzoli

Bronze

Post by donzoli » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:20 pm

Bump

SkiBumLawyer

New

Post by SkiBumLawyer » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:13 pm

I remember this thread from awhile back. Some members on this board have some experience with this and I'm looking for some more advice.

I don't have any finance work experience but really feel I could pass Level I pretty easily. Nearly every law student I met knows shit about corporate finance. I've taken classes with 3L's from T14s and they had trouble grasping the fact that the par value of stock is normally $.0001 or something similar and no grasp of liquidity. It could give me an edge in interviews.

This would not be a soft for me but something to help my career, should I try to take this exam? It is something I have always thought about.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:42 pm

I am both a CPA / CFA. When interviewing, albeit for 1L firm jobs, firms seemed interested in my 5 years of WE in public accounting, but even transactional firms that specialized in financial work really didn't have much to say about the CFA. The CFA is great if you want to be an analyst, but it really does add much in the way of law ...

donzoli

Bronze

Post by donzoli » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:49 pm

Did anyone get their CFA results today?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”