Is the NYU/Osgoode Dual Degree useless?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Canadian

Is the NYU/Osgoode Dual Degree useless?

Postby Canadian » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:11 pm

Especially now that they're both JD designation, is there any point to going to Osgoode if one can just go to NYU? (coming at this from a Canadian perspective)

OcanadaO

Re: Is the NYU/Osgoode Dual Degree useless?

Postby OcanadaO » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:14 pm

Canadian wrote:Especially now that they're both JD designation, is there any point to going to Osgoode if one can just go to NYU? (coming at this from a Canadian perspective)

umm... I thought it was pretty useless... but I think Osgoode opens up doors in Canada that NYU won't?

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:24 pm

OcanadaO wrote:
Canadian wrote:Especially now that they're both JD designation, is there any point to going to Osgoode if one can just go to NYU? (coming at this from a Canadian perspective)

umm... I thought it was pretty useless... but I think Osgoode opens up doors in Canada that NYU won't?

Yes this is exactly it. You are free to practice anywhere in Canada or the U.S. If you have just the Osgoode JD then you can only practice in MA or NY, if you have the just the NYU degree you have to jump hoops through the NCA process in Canada. If you have both then you have a degree from a top law school in each country. However it seems like a waste of money to me. You are either in the U.S using the American JD and not the Canadian one, or you are in Canada using the Canadian JD but not the American one.

I've also heard that getting a work visa in the U.S is a real pain in the ass right now making the whole program almost useless for anyone who doesn't have dual citizenship.

Oe.Maas

Postby Oe.Maas » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:33 pm

IMO it would be useful for people looking to "jump ship" halfway through LS.

-top Osgoode students who didn't have the LSAT to get into NYU

-Canadians studying at NYU who are 100% sure they want to practice in Canada

crazycanuck wrote:
I've also heard that getting a work visa in the U.S is a real pain in the ass right now making the whole program almost useless for anyone who doesn't have dual citizenship.

This applies to all Canadian applicants to US schools though, no?
Last edited by Oe.Maas on Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crazycanuck

Postby crazycanuck » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:35 pm

Oe.Maas wrote:IMO it would be useful for people looking to "jump ship" halfway through LS.

-top Osgoode students who didn't have the LSAT to get into NYU

You have to be accepted individually to both schools.

Oe.Maas

Postby Oe.Maas » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:36 pm

crazycanuck wrote:You have to be accepted individually to both schools.

I think I read that you can apply at the beginning of L2. In which case, it is conceivable that they would look more at your grades than the LSAT.

If not, my bad.

Canadian

Postby Canadian » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm still considering this program. I think I would really like it, I'm just not sure I can justify the staggering cost vs. staying in Canada exclusively. I would like the freedom to practice in the U.S., and I think the NYU portion would open up a lot of doors. Anyone have more insight to share?

freeflowfox

Postby freeflowfox » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:35 pm

I know someone who got in last year, and after 1L decided to quit and go do a JD/MBA, or transfer to US school directly. So that's one anecdotal case that it is useless. Osgoode also sucks compared to UofT, if you read the placement rates last year for bay firms.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”