Columbia Law School: Second Reserve Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawjunkie82

New

Columbia Law School: Second Reserve

Post by lawjunkie82 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:17 am

Has anyone gotten in from the wait list or been sent a Second Reserve notice? Mine is dated June 1 and I received it today; I'm in New York City.

Hope some of you can share good news with the group, although it seems as though there is little movement on wait lists in general.

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:09 am

What is it? What does it say?

Is this a kind of second round of filtering? (Meaning that some people on the initial waitlist have been rejected, and others passed on to the Second Reserve?)

lawjunkie82

New

Post by lawjunkie82 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:44 am

Hey New,

I guess that the Second Reserve is sort of like a second round of filtering. I believe that since CLS was not able to provide admission to some on the First Reserve, they are sending notices to those candidates they are still interested in and asking if they wish to stay on the wait list for consideration.

The letter states, "The next determination concerning reserved candidates will occur in early July." The go on to say that even in July, they might ask some candidates if they wish to remain on the wait list and join the Third Reserve.

In my case, it is both a good notice and a bad one. I'm set on going to UCLA but am having a hard time with the idea of leaving New York for a number of personal reasons. I've joined their Second Reserve but hope that they either admit me or reject me in early July. This way, I can plan on moving back to California and not have to worry about resettling, including trying to get my landlord to let me stay in my apartment. His understanding is that I will be moving out on August 1.

Too many "what ifs" even for me!

Should I try to get an interview with Dean Iwerebon even though it explicitly states that they don't offer any? Have any of you gone to visit CLS with the expectation that you would be accepted off the wait list? What has been the outcome? I ask because at UCLA, there were at least 7 in my group of 10 that were visiting the law school to try and get off the wait list.

Thanks everyone!

Ulfrekr

Bronze

Post by Ulfrekr » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:01 am

Does anyone know how they integrate people who get in from reserve into the processing round for incoming 1Ls? Things like the housing application were all already due- does this mean that if you get in from reserve, you're SOL on this kind of stuff and have to figure it out for yourself, or do they make accomodations for the fact that some people will not know whether they are in until later summer? Does anyone know?

lawjunkie82

New

Post by lawjunkie82 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:45 am

I've been wondering about the housing as well.

I heard that the Admissions Office is open to talking to candidates on the reserve list and I hope to take a train ride up to Morningside Heights to talk to one of their officers. I'll transcribe any useful information onto TLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rochester

New

Post by rochester » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:03 pm

has anyone else heard from CLS since intially being put on first reserve?

noodleman

New

Post by noodleman » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:16 pm

I'm not sure if I received anything in the mail yet. Information from an inside source:

Some decisions would be sent out June 1, which it seems they have done. They also said that a second wave of decisions is expected next week (yes, no, maybe). Email/phone call will be the means of communicating good news I was told. snail mail equals reject or re-reserve.

the most important piece of info is that they are going to the wait list this year for sure and they know this already.

noodleman

New

Post by noodleman » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:38 pm

bump. anyone else receive anything?

MATRIXKITTEN

New

Post by MATRIXKITTEN » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:00 pm

hey noodleman what state are you in and when did you get the letter notifying you that you were on first reserve thanks I am fearing the news!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

noodleman

New

Post by noodleman » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:01 pm

i live in new jersey and received my 1st reserve list letter in february. i haven't gotten anything as of today. you?

MATRIXKITTEN

New

Post by MATRIXKITTEN » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:08 pm

nope oops i thought when u said bump that meant it was over for you; good to see you are still in the game u made me fear my mailbox ;p

lawjunkie82

New

Post by lawjunkie82 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:55 am

Anyone else?

MATRIXKITTEN

New

Post by MATRIXKITTEN » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:54 pm

got the finger from em today good luck to the rest of ya'll :? 8)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nonunique

New

Post by nonunique » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:56 pm

Someone on LSD (in LA, no less) got the 2nd reserve from them.

Sorry to hear that, MATRIX. :(

trickguy96

New

Post by trickguy96 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:41 pm

just got the second reserve notice

(i'm in st. louis, mo)

funny how it says something to the point of "go ahead and make other plans..."

gee, thanks. i'll get right on that :roll:

nonunique

New

Post by nonunique » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:42 pm

I haven't checked LSN...is anybody getting acceptance phone calls yet? Are they sending 2nd reserves before the rejections?

I'm in Oklahoma and haven't heard a thing.

fifthcolumn

New

Post by fifthcolumn » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:16 pm

I have not received a rejection or a 2nd reserve letter. Does that mean I'm going to receive a decision this coming week?
LSN shows no WL->accepts so far for the month of June. People not divulging info on LSN, or no one accepted off WL so far?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rejection

New

Post by Rejection » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:20 am

Got knocked off the 2nd Reserve on Friday.

I would pay a lot of money to know how big the 1st Reserve was, how big the 2nd Reserve was, and how many was the most they ever accepted off of a Reserve list.

In other words, was the whole thing an exercise in sadism?

Best of luck to the rest!

Ulfrekr

Bronze

Post by Ulfrekr » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:29 pm

Got Second Reserve letter. Will probably withdraw and apply again in the fall. A question- would it be kosher to send a letter indicating that I am still very interested in attending CLS, and that I look forward to applying again in the fall? Or would it be better to just fill out the withdrawal form and not say anything else? I just feel weird withdrawing from my first choice school- I don't want them to think I'm not interested enough to keep trying, or that I've decided to go somewhere else.

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:33 pm

Ulf, what are your plans? If the accept you off the waitlist, are you also going to defer enrollment for one year?

Ulfrekr

Bronze

Post by Ulfrekr » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:38 pm

Well, my understanding is that they generally don't grant deferrals for people coming in off the reserve list. Also, when I talked to them about being on reserve, they indicated that one of the most important things you could do as a reserve applicant was to let them know that you would definitely come if accepted. I would love to be going this year, but I can't guarantee that I would be able to if they accepted me, and I'm hesitant about campaigning for a spot that I might ultimately have to turn down. So I'm thinking I should withdraw and reapply, rather than risk pissing them off or appearing to flake out.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:45 pm

When will you know if you could take the spot or not? If it's in not too many weeks, you could consider waiting until you are sure you have to withdraw/are able to enroll this Fall, and then act on it, by either sending a LOCI or a withdrawal letter.

nonunique

New

Post by nonunique » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:55 pm

Ulfrekr:
I would send the letter you are describing. They are going to have your file on hand next year when you apply...and you are going to be compelled to tell them you applied before...so you can defuse a potentially puzzling situation by telling them your reason for withdrawing isn't because you like your options elsewhere, but that you are THAT serious about going there and doing well.

Wind Power

New

Post by Wind Power » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:18 pm

I still haven't heard a peep from CLS.

::twiddles thumbs::

fifthcolumn

New

Post by fifthcolumn » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:01 pm

I still haven't heard anything either. Unofficial rejection?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”