2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 919
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:42 pm

Here is slight clarification on Penn (discussed on p. 14): They grant merit-based waivers automatically and notify eligible applicants via e-mail. All such applicants will have been notified by October 1st.

User avatar
babaghanouj
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby babaghanouj » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:57 pm

Just received email waivers from Chicago and UCLA.

yogafreak
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 7:04 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby yogafreak » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:59 pm

chicago and ucla!! so exciting!

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:13 pm

UCLA but not UofC. Nor surprised.

User avatar
ClemCarter
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:09 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby ClemCarter » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:15 pm

Helmholtz wrote: Not surprised.



Why not?

RhubarbPie
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby RhubarbPie » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:16 pm

Also got UCLA. Didn't Chicago (although it would be nice...Ill keep my fingers crossed).

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:17 pm

ClemCarter wrote:
Helmholtz wrote: Not surprised.



Why not?


I didn't get one last year.

User avatar
Fancy Pants
Posts: 231
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby Fancy Pants » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:17 pm

JennBNYC wrote:
Fancy Pants wrote:I just got an e-mail from University of Iowa with a fee waiver. It came just a few days after my transcript was processed, and given that I don't have an LSAT score or anything else available on LSAC I assume it was based on that.


Yea, I haven't taken the LSAT either, but I got it. If you open the attachment it says it's based on either an LSAT of 165 (or greater) or a GPA of 3.85 and up.


Ah I didn't read the attachment yet. Hah. I just barely made it over that GPA!

User avatar
ClemCarter
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:09 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby ClemCarter » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:18 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
ClemCarter wrote:
Helmholtz wrote: Not surprised.



Why not?


I didn't get one last year.


Oh, I thought you knew secrets.

User avatar
ClemCarter
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:09 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby ClemCarter » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:19 pm

I think I noticed a UCLA waiver on LSAC last week, so it seems odd that they sent me the email today.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:20 pm

ClemCarter wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
ClemCarter wrote:
Helmholtz wrote: Not surprised.



Why not?


I didn't get one last year.


Oh, I thought you knew secrets.


I hear the top schools are passing around a memo asking them to withhold any fee waivers for me....but that's just a rumor. :wink:

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby missvik218 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:22 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
ClemCarter wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
ClemCarter wrote:
Why not?


I didn't get one last year.


Oh, I thought you knew secrets.


I hear the top schools are passing around a memo asking them to withhold any fee waivers for me....but that's just a rumor. :wink:

:lol: the conspiracy theory!!

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:23 pm

missvik218 wrote: :lol: the conspiracy theory!!


So you've heard this too?

User avatar
ClemCarter
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:09 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby ClemCarter » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:27 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
missvik218 wrote: :lol: the conspiracy theory!!


So you've heard this too?



We all got Eternal Sunshine-style emails from LSAC telling us not to discuss this with you.

oneforship
Posts: 1004
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby oneforship » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:27 pm

UCLA just now by email.

freewheelin
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 9:27 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby freewheelin » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:40 pm

Iowa as well

User avatar
humdrum
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:30 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby humdrum » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:40 pm

has anyone tried emailing NYU re: fee waivers? I finally mustered up the courage after I saw that I had no hidden fee waiver and this is what they said:


Dear XXX,

Thank you for your e-mail. In answer to your question, NYU will honor approved LSAC fee waivers. Applicants who have received approved LSAT or LSDAS fee waivers from the Law School Admission Council (LSAC) will have their NYU School of Law $75 electronic application fee automatically waived when they apply electronically. Please note that there is no NYU School of Law application fee waiver form to complete.

Thank you for your interest in NYU School of Law.

Sincerely,
Office of Admissions
NYU School of Law


What the heck is a LSAT fee waiver from LSAC? Does not exist, I think.

User avatar
iminlstrick
Posts: 167
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby iminlstrick » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:45 pm

humdrum wrote:has anyone tried emailing NYU re: fee waivers? I finally mustered up the courage after I saw that I had no hidden fee waiver and this is what they said:


Dear XXX,

Thank you for your e-mail. In answer to your question, NYU will honor approved LSAC fee waivers. Applicants who have received approved LSAT or LSDAS fee waivers from the Law School Admission Council (LSAC) will have their NYU School of Law $75 electronic application fee automatically waived when they apply electronically. Please note that there is no NYU School of Law application fee waiver form to complete.

Thank you for your interest in NYU School of Law.

Sincerely,
Office of Admissions
NYU School of Law


What the heck is a LSAT fee waiver from LSAC? Does not exist, I think.


It does exist. If you are approved for an LSAC fee waiver (waives your LSAT test fees, cost of superprep, 4 law school app reports), then a lot of schools will automatically waive your application fee if you apply online through LSAC. Hence, LSAC LSAT fee waiver.

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby missvik218 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:47 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
missvik218 wrote: :lol: the conspiracy theory!!


So you've heard this too?

Absolutely!

User avatar
humdrum
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:30 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby humdrum » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:50 pm

iminlstrick wrote:
It does exist. If you are approved for an LSAC fee waiver (waives your LSAT test fees, cost of superprep, 4 law school app reports), then a lot of schools will automatically waive your application fee if you apply online through LSAC. Hence, LSAC LSAT fee waiver.


oh is that what they mean? in that case they did not address my actual question about merit-based fee waivers at all.

User avatar
ToadGoDead
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:09 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby ToadGoDead » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:51 pm

ClemCarter wrote:I think I noticed a UCLA waiver on LSAC last week, so it seems odd that they sent me the email today.


where do you see this school specific fee waiver on lsac.org?

User avatar
gahthelaw
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby gahthelaw » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:55 pm

iowa (to use by Jan 15, and with a form to fill out in that annoying .docx file format i need to convert to read)

ucla

no chicago...oof. maybe later today?

User avatar
ClemCarter
Posts: 248
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:09 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby ClemCarter » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:57 pm

ToadGoDead wrote:
ClemCarter wrote:I think I noticed a UCLA waiver on LSAC last week, so it seems odd that they sent me the email today.


where do you see this school specific fee waiver on lsac.org?


Sorry for being ambiguous. It was a "hidden" fee waiver. If you look back in this thread a few pages, there are instructions for checking for them.

User avatar
JennBNYC
Posts: 262
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:50 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby JennBNYC » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:04 pm

Just got an email for a waiver from Akron Law. You're all jealous aren't you? lol

User avatar
D. H2Oman
Posts: 7469
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:47 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:07 pm

JennBNYC wrote:Just got an email for a waiver from Akron Law. You're all jealous aren't you? lol



I was for a second, but then I remembered that I got a WNEC Law fee waiver last month.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], whyjay and 2 guests