2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TTH

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby TTH » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:09 pm

So, where on LSAC does one look for these hidden fee waivers?

Diskette15

Postby Diskette15 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:31 pm

got the UCLA hidden fee waiver too! guess it can't hurt to apply there, didn't get the one from Vandy though...

Zojirushi

Postby Zojirushi » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:33 pm

Pearalegal wrote:I AM FINALLY GETTING FEE WAIVERS!

+1, trickle down theory. :wink:

lz06

Postby lz06 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:49 pm

Has anyone tried contacting Columbia? I just called and they told me they only give them out based on financial need, but I know last year people found hidden waivers. I have my app ready now but I don't want to apply if there's a possibility of my fee being waved later. Same with Chicago..

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:51 pm

lz06 wrote:Has anyone tried contacting Columbia? I just called and they told me they only give them out based on financial need, but I know last year people found hidden waivers. I have my app ready now but I don't want to apply if there's a possibility of my fee being waved later. Same with Chicago..

Every person that I know from last year who had a CLS fee waiver was notified. It was not hidden. Here's my e-mail:

Dear Mr. Helmholtz:

We are writing today to encourage you to consider applying to Columbia Law School, if you have not already done so.

Our February 15, 2009 application deadline is approaching and we continue to actively read applications and render decisions. If you wish to be considered for admission to our 2009 entering class, please apply via the LSAC online application at http://www.lsac.org. We can assure you, if you apply and complete your application promptly, that your candidacy will be carefully considered.

At this point in the admissions cycle, we understand that you may have applied to numerous other schools, and thus might feel burdened by the costs of application fees. Therefore, if you have not already applied to Columbia Law School, we are waiving the usually required application fee of $75. In order to take advantage of the fee waiver, you must apply online via the LSAC e-application.

We should emphasize that this correspondence does not imply that our Admissions Committee would necessarily be able to take favorable action on your candidacy. For more information on Columbia Law School and our admissions philosophy, please visit our website at http://www.law.columbia.edu/admissions.

Best wishes for success with all your law school applications. We look forward to our review of your candidacy for admission to Columbia.

Warm wishes,

E. Nkonye Iwerebon
Dean of Admissions

Padimud

Postby Padimud » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:56 pm

Man, does anyone else feel like they are a sucker for fee waivers. Every time I put a lid on how many schools I am going apply to, some other school sends a fee waiver and makes me reconsider the finalized list. Anyone else feel like waivers just make you end up spending more money than you would because you feel somehow obligated to apply to fence sitting schools?

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:05 pm

Diskette15 wrote:got the UCLA hidden fee waiver too! guess it can't hurt to apply there, didn't get the one from Vandy though...

I was just delighted when I saw I had gotten those too. They were my first.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:09 pm

anybody get the Michigan State email telling you that you qualify for their full tuition scholarship, but strangely enough, apparently not for their fee waiver?

edit: additionally, a quick glance at their website informs me that i DON'T actually qualify for their scholarship, as my sub-3.75 GPA kills me.

lz06

Postby lz06 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:11 pm

Helmholtz wrote: Every person that I know from last year who had a CLS fee waiver was notified. It was not hidden.

According to last years tracker thread some were hidden and they were found right around this time. I'm just saying so people can keep a look out for them.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:12 pm

gahthelaw wrote:anybody get the Michigan State email telling you that you qualify for their full tuition scholarship, but strangely enough, apparently not for their fee waiver?

edit: additionally, a quick glance at their website informs me that i DON'T actually qualify for their scholarship, as my sub-3.75 GPA kills me.

Yep, I thought that was a little weird.

emtuoh

Postby emtuoh » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:13 pm

gahthelaw wrote:anybody get the Michigan State email telling you that you qualify for their full tuition scholarship, but strangely enough, apparently not for their fee waiver?

I also got that e-mail. Not that I'm intending to apply there at all, but I was intrigued that they didn't offer a fee waiver.

Postby 02082010 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:25 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
lz06 wrote:Has anyone tried contacting Columbia? I just called and they told me they only give them out based on financial need, but I know last year people found hidden waivers. I have my app ready now but I don't want to apply if there's a possibility of my fee being waved later. Same with Chicago..

Every person that I know from last year who had a CLS fee waiver was notified. It was not hidden. Here's my e-mail:

Dear Mr. Helmholtz:

We are writing today to encourage you to consider applying to Columbia Law School, if you have not already done so.

Our February 15, 2009 application deadline is approaching and we continue to actively read applications and render decisions. If you wish to be considered for admission to our 2009 entering class, please apply via the LSAC online application at http://www.lsac.org. We can assure you, if you apply and complete your application promptly, that your candidacy will be carefully considered.

At this point in the admissions cycle, we understand that you may have applied to numerous other schools, and thus might feel burdened by the costs of application fees. Therefore, if you have not already applied to Columbia Law School, we are waiving the usually required application fee of $75. In order to take advantage of the fee waiver, you must apply online via the LSAC e-application.

We should emphasize that this correspondence does not imply that our Admissions Committee would necessarily be able to take favorable action on your candidacy. For more information on Columbia Law School and our admissions philosophy, please visit our website at http://www.law.columbia.edu/admissions.

Best wishes for success with all your law school applications. We look forward to our review of your candidacy for admission to Columbia.

Warm wishes,

E. Nkonye Iwerebon
Dean of Admissions

Did u try contacting them yet about renewing the waiver? I got this same email in January-ish and, as you know, I emailed them about renewing it for this cycle and this said, "No, punk ass bitch."

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:31 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Dear Mr. Helmholtz:

Warm wishes,

E. Nkonye Iwerebon
Dean of Admissions

Did u try contacting them yet about renewing the waiver? I got this same email in January-ish and, as you know, I emailed them about renewing it for this cycle and this said, "No, punk ass bitch."

Dear Helmoltz,

We will honor the fee waiver next year. Please keep a copy for your
records.

Best wishes,

Columbia Law School
Office of Admissions

That's what they sent me last year when I asked them about it. I was sent the initial waiver a few days after receiving my Dec. LSAT score.

edit: they have yet to reply to my e-mail this year asking about it. If I don't receive something soon from then, I'm just going to call the admissions office

alexyoshi

Postby alexyoshi » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:42 pm

No waivers yet. Frustrating. I especially want one from Cornell so I can save me $80.

Maybe I should cycle my settings from "don't release info" back to "release info to aba-approved schools" so they get the notice again? This is my second year of applying to schools... maybe they don't know I'm still interested.

iminlstrick

Postby iminlstrick » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:46 pm

alexyoshi wrote:No waivers yet. Frustrating. I especially want one from Cornell so I can save me $80.

Maybe I should cycle my settings from "don't release info" back to "release info to aba-approved schools" so they get the notice again? This is my second year of applying to schools... maybe they don't know I'm still interested.

yes.

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:52 pm

somethingclever wrote:What numbers do people have who got the Cornell waiver?

174, crappy GPA

alexyoshi

Postby alexyoshi » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:54 pm

iminlstrick wrote:
alexyoshi wrote:No waivers yet. Frustrating. I especially want one from Cornell so I can save me $80.

yes.

It makes sense. I just cycled it.

ClemCarter

Postby ClemCarter » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:09 pm

Just got Texas via email. I think I read earlier on this thread that they had already done a round of emails a few weeks back? Maybe?

iminlstrick

Postby iminlstrick » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:10 pm

UT via e-mail; they bold that they can't reimburse people who already applied. Just FYI.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:14 pm

iminlstrick wrote:UT via e-mail; they bold that they can't reimburse people who already applied. Just FYI.

+1 They also mention that to qualify for the waiver you need to apply by November 1.

ClemCarter

Postby ClemCarter » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:16 pm

gahthelaw wrote:
iminlstrick wrote:UT via e-mail; they bold that they can't reimburse people who already applied. Just FYI.

+1 They also mention that to qualify for the waiver you need to apply by November 1.

They're only after mid-level procrastinators.

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:18 pm

gahthelaw wrote:

Boo. Didn't get that one. Still flying high on my hidden UCLA and Vandy waivers. And Georgia.

Pankun

Postby Pankun » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:26 pm

Just got Texas ... says I need to apply by Nov 1st to get the waiver tho.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:30 pm

Oh crap, I just realized that this whole time it was indicating on LSAC that I was planning on matriculating to schools in '09. :oops:

Pearalegal

Postby Pearalegal » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:31 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Oh crap, I just realized that this whole time it was indicating on LSAC that I was planning on matriculating to schools in '09. :oops:

Don't feel bad. I checked yesterday and mine indicated that I had no intention of applying EVER.

Switched that.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”