2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Pearalegal

Silver

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:48 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
FuriousE wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:It's really aggravating that some schools aren't even replying to my request to renew last year's app fee waivers. Michigan and UVA got back to me within literally five minutes after my e-mail was sent.
same with me, those two responded immediately and others just brushed it off i guess
I've always had really good experience with the Michigan admissions office. It definitely makes their school look good.
Agreed. I called over there on Thursday for a different, and fairly specific reason, and they couldn't have been nicer about taking the time to talk to me.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:54 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:Is it possible your law school mail is getting sent to an old address, or your parents' address, or something? Several of the waivers (including Cornell) came by snail mail for me.
Maybe! My mom lives in LA for the most part, and my Dad lives in Canada Mon-Thurs, but I still use the house they keep in Maryland as my permanent address.

Hm.
I use my parents' address as my permanent address too, because I'm rootless right now and don't want my mail to get confused, and all my law school stuff goes there. I bet you have an empty house somewhere in Maryland full of fee waivers.

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:29 pm

I e-mail Vandy with my stats (both above their 75%) and they basically said they only give out fee waivers using CRS. So I guess I won't be applying..

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:32 pm

I e-mailed Vandy telling them I had a fee waiver from last cycle. They told me it was only valid that one cycle and they're not going to send me a renewal. I was debating on UCLA or Vandy as a safety. I guess this just made up my mind for me.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:38 pm

Helmholtz wrote:I e-mailed Vandy telling them I had a fee waiver from last cycle. They told me it was only valid that one cycle and they're not going to send me a renewal. I was debating on UCLA or Vandy as a safety. I guess this just made up my mind for me.
Ha, I just emailed Maryland asking for one...as I really don't want to spend the next three years in Baltimore, but I'll most likely have to move back there eventually. Felt only prudent to apply though the only reason I'd go is if they give me a pony (and an extra one, in case the original gets dirty).

I'm above their 75% for both. This is what I got back:

Good Afternoon Ms. Pearalegal:

Thank you for your interest with the University of Maryland School of Law. I write to you in response to your inquiry regarding an Application Fee Waiver based on your academic achievement and performance in the LSAT. In order to be considered for this type of waiver you must submit:

1) Copy of your LSAT score report.
2) Most recent undergraduate transcript with cumulative GPA.
3) Resume.
4) Brief statement of interest describing the potential applicant's specific reasons for applying to the University of Maryland School of Law and why you feel you deserve a Merit Based Application Fee Waiver.

(Paragraph about school)

-UMD Law

I give up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:39 pm

Pearalegal wrote: I give up.
Jesus, why don't they just make you apply and then decide if you get a fee waiver after that? Seems like it's be less work for the both of you.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:40 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Pearalegal wrote: I give up.
Jesus, why don't they just make you apply and then decide if you get a fee waiver after that? Seems like it's be less work for the both of you.
I'm an effing resident!

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:41 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:I e-mailed Vandy telling them I had a fee waiver from last cycle. They told me it was only valid that one cycle and they're not going to send me a renewal. I was debating on UCLA or Vandy as a safety. I guess this just made up my mind for me.
Ha, I just emailed Maryland asking for one...as I really don't want to spend the next three years in Baltimore, but I'll most likely have to move back there eventually. Felt only prudent to apply though the only reason I'd go is if they give me a pony (and an extra one, in case the original gets dirty).

I'm above their 75% for both. This is what I got back:

Good Afternoon Ms. Pearalegal:

Thank you for your interest with the University of Maryland School of Law. I write to you in response to your inquiry regarding an Application Fee Waiver based on your academic achievement and performance in the LSAT. In order to be considered for this type of waiver you must submit:

1) Copy of your LSAT score report.
2) Most recent undergraduate transcript with cumulative GPA.

3) Resume.
4) Brief statement of interest describing the potential applicant's specific reasons for applying to the University of Maryland School of Law and why you feel you deserve a Merit Based Application Fee Waiver.

(Paragraph about school)

-UMD Law

I give up.
Yes, as a law school, they would have a really hard time getting their hands on this type of data if you didn't send it to them. WTF?

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:43 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote: Yes, as a law school, they would have a really hard time getting their hands on this type of data if you didn't send it to them. WTF?
I'm a little more curious about how I'd even approach explaining why I think I deserve the waiver.

How awkward.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:52 pm

Oh, I forgot to add: I e-mailed UCLA about last year's waiver. They told me to indicate on LSAC that I was going to send a check directly to the school. The admissions director told me to just print off my e-mail with her and send that to them instead of a check.

lz06

Bronze

Post by lz06 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:25 pm

lz06 wrote:I e-mail Vandy with my stats (both above their 75%) and they basically said they only give out fee waivers using CRS. So I guess I won't be applying..
I just checked to see if I had a hidden one and apparently I do. Never got the e-mail..

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:47 pm

Are you sure that you don't have a hidden Vandy fee waiver?? Because I just found one and you have better numbers.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:49 pm

Dwaterman86 wrote:

Are you sure that you don't have a hidden Vandy fee waiver?? Because I just found one and you have better numbers.
I checked. I don't. .............bastards

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:52 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Dwaterman86 wrote:

:lol: I feel like all of your safety schools got together and decided none of them would get you fee waivers just to torment you this cycle.

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:53 pm

Wow...I think KU just sent out its fee waivers a little early...or sans proofing.
Dear «first_name_prospect»,

Congratulations on successfully taking the LSAT! On behalf of the University of Kansas School of Law, I invite you to CONSIDER KU LAW when planning your legal career. This letter will serve as an APPLICATION FEE WAIVER. I encourage you to make use of this fee waiver by submitting it your application. Please print a copy of the letter and mail it with your certification letter.

Oof.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:54 pm

missvik218 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Dwaterman86 wrote:

:lol: I feel like all of your safety schools got together and decided none of them would get you fee waivers just to torment you this cycle.
WUSTL and UCLA sent me one know problem. It's just oh-I-have-a-stick-up-my-ass Vandy that seems to think that I deserved a waiver last year but not this.

I'm just kidding, Vandy, you can still send me one and everything will be alright again. I'll even take back all the mean things I've said.

RhubarbPie

Bronze

Post by RhubarbPie » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:56 pm

Dwaterman86 wrote:Are you sure that you don't have a hidden Vandy fee waiver?? Because I just found one and you have better numbers.
Thanks for mentioning this. I was about to take them off my list, but I just checked for the hidden waiver and it was there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:12 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote: Yes, as a law school, they would have a really hard time getting their hands on this type of data if you didn't send it to them. WTF?
I'm a little more curious about how I'd even approach explaining why I think I deserve the waiver.

How awkward.
That's strange. They said the same thing to me sans the merit FW justification part.

tangential886

New

Post by tangential886 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:49 pm

Is there a way to check for a hidden waiver without filling out the entire application? Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere...

a.shoshana

Bronze

Post by a.shoshana » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:55 pm

Applied to NYU today and found a hidden fee waiver.

Applied to Cornell today and didn't get the waiver they said they gave me. Lol.

Pankun

New

Post by Pankun » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:03 pm

a.shoshana wrote:Applied to NYU today and found a hidden fee waiver.

Applied to Cornell today and didn't get the waiver they said they gave me. Lol.
And what are your stats if u don't mind me asking? How did Cornell inform you of the fee waiver? By email?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

babaghanouj

Bronze

Post by babaghanouj » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:09 pm

Just found NYU's hidden waiver.

Pankun

New

Post by Pankun » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:18 pm

So for hidden fee waivers, do you find out at the time of checkout? Or can you tell if you have a waiver when you begin your application?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:33 pm

Pankun wrote:So for hidden fee waivers, do you find out at the time of checkout? Or can you tell if you have a waiver when you begin your application?
You have to proceed to the checkout.

oneforship

Silver

Post by oneforship » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:01 pm

Just found a hidden fee waiver from Vanderbilt.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”