2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lsnate
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby lsnate » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:18 pm

Don't know if this is redundant or not, but I received this email from Penn after requesting a waiver.

Dear XXXXXX:

Thank you for your message and interest in Penn Law. Merit-based fee waivers are made available automatically and require no application; you will know if you have received one once you apply. As for need-based waivers, please consult our website:

http://www.law.upenn.edu/prospective/jd ... #feewaiver

Best regards,

Penn Law Admissions


You will know you have received one once you apply? Does anyone know anything about this?

User avatar
Pankun
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby Pankun » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:24 pm

lsnate wrote:Don't know if this is redundant or not, but I received this email from Penn after requesting a waiver.

Dear XXXXXX:

Thank you for your message and interest in Penn Law. Merit-based fee waivers are made available automatically and require no application; you will know if you have received one once you apply. As for need-based waivers, please consult our website:

http://www.law.upenn.edu/prospective/jd ... #feewaiver

Best regards,

Penn Law Admissions


You will know you have received one once you apply? Does anyone know anything about this?


I actually called Penn last week. They said they auto-grant the merit-based fee waivers (starting mid September)... but the guy never mentioned anything about "you will know if you have received one." I guess I assumed it would be via email.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:26 pm

Pankun wrote:
lsnate wrote:Don't know if this is redundant or not, but I received this email from Penn after requesting a waiver.

Dear XXXXXX:

Thank you for your message and interest in Penn Law. Merit-based fee waivers are made available automatically and require no application; you will know if you have received one once you apply. As for need-based waivers, please consult our website:

http://www.law.upenn.edu/prospective/jd ... #feewaiver

Best regards,

Penn Law Admissions


You will know you have received one once you apply? Does anyone know anything about this?


I actually called Penn last week. They said they auto-grant the merit-based fee waivers (starting mid September)... but the guy never mentioned anything about "you will know if you have received one." I guess I assumed it would be via email.


IIRC they send it via snail mail. They sent me a view book along with a letter last year, although absent any mention of a fee waiver.

lsnate
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby lsnate » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:28 pm

It sounds like "auto-grant" may be just built into the LSAC submission process, but that they may not tell you beforehand.... it seems like a strange way of doing things.

User avatar
Pankun
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby Pankun » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:54 pm

lsnate wrote:It sounds like "auto-grant" may be just built into the LSAC submission process, but that they may not tell you beforehand.... it seems like a strange way of doing things.


Yeah I agree. How can someone (presumably meritable) be encouraged to apply if they don't know they have a waiver?

User avatar
gahthelaw
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:10 am

old news, but i just got back from a trip abroad (no mail / email for a while) to find:

Cornell (snail mail with a viewbook)
Illonois (snail mail)
Valparaiso (email followed by snail mail)
Duke waiver and priority track (!)


also I got Notre Dame a while ago - don't know if anyone's mentioned that.

User avatar
tintin
Posts: 952
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:26 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby tintin » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:42 am

I emailed UCLA for one and the guy said to let them know if I hadn't received one by the end of the month, when they will send them out. Hmmmm.

User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 919
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:19 am

Anyone know if/when GWU is planning on sending out waivers? They have harassed me more than any other school so far, including Cooley, but no whisper of a waiver. Someone needs to tell them they don't have it like that.

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:25 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Anyone know if/when GWU is planning on sending out waivers? They have harassed me more than any other school so far, including Cooley, but no whisper of a waiver. Someone needs to tell them they don't have it like that.



I think GW only gives out Need Based Waivers they dont do Merit Waivers. They are cheap, which means I wont apply.

RhubarbPie
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby RhubarbPie » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:38 am

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:Anyone know if/when GWU is planning on sending out waivers? They have harassed me more than any other school so far, including Cooley, but no whisper of a waiver. Someone needs to tell them they don't have it like that.



I think GW only gives out Need Based Waivers they dont do Merit Waivers. They are cheap, which means I wont apply.



They let me know via email that they only give need-based waivers, at which point I promptly removed them from my list.

User avatar
BaiAilian2013
Posts: 919
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:35 pm

hykang wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:Anyone know if/when GWU is planning on sending out waivers? They have harassed me more than any other school so far, including Cooley, but no whisper of a waiver. Someone needs to tell them they don't have it like that.



I think GW only gives out Need Based Waivers they dont do Merit Waivers. They are cheap, which means I wont apply.



They let me know via email that they only give need-based waivers, at which point I promptly removed them from my list.


Srsly. That is some BS.

User avatar
Lmao Zedong
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:10 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby Lmao Zedong » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:41 pm

yeah i've had enough from those clowns, i got a second GWU email in my inbox, (i think) completely identical to the first. no fee waiver, just more trash about GWU being the best place in the world to study law.

Image

User avatar
natalie123
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:45 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby natalie123 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:21 pm

valparaiso, today in the snail mail.

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby ruleser » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:53 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:neskerdoo asked a very appropriate question in the "official" thread.

what's the point of the thread? either you get a fee waiver or you don't. if you do, then you'll know when you got it, if you don't then just eat the $70 app fee or don't apply.

+1

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby LSATfromNC » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:00 pm

ruleser wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:neskerdoo asked a very appropriate question in the "official" thread.

what's the point of the thread? either you get a fee waiver or you don't. if you do, then you'll know when you got it, if you don't then just eat the $70 app fee or don't apply.

+1


ego stroking :) But I have found it useful to see which schools grant them by request.

wired
Posts: 472
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:29 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby wired » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:01 pm

ruleser wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:neskerdoo asked a very appropriate question in the "official" thread.

what's the point of the thread? either you get a fee waiver or you don't. if you do, then you'll know when you got it, if you don't then just eat the $70 app fee or don't apply.

+1


I started it mainly so I could know whether or not to "make the jump" on some of my applications. For instance, I plan on applying to both Arizona schools, but I'd love to apply without worrying about whether or not I can get a refund. If I know everyone else has already received waivers, then I'll bite the bullet and apply.

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby missvik218 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:02 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
ruleser wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:neskerdoo asked a very appropriate question in the "official" thread.

what's the point of the thread? either you get a fee waiver or you don't. if you do, then you'll know when you got it, if you don't then just eat the $70 app fee or don't apply.

+1


ego stroking :) But I have found it useful to see which schools grant them by request.

Yes, the bolded above .. otherwise I'd be paying UVA and a few others which I now will not have to do thanks to this thread!

User avatar
gahthelaw
Posts: 728
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby gahthelaw » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:19 pm

missvik218 wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:
ruleser wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:neskerdoo asked a very appropriate question in the "official" thread.

what's the point of the thread? either you get a fee waiver or you don't. if you do, then you'll know when you got it, if you don't then just eat the $70 app fee or don't apply.

+1


ego stroking :) But I have found it useful to see which schools grant them by request.

Yes, the bolded above .. otherwise I'd be paying UVA and a few others which I now will not have to do thanks to this thread!


it's also good to have an idea of what to expect for budgeting purposes. applying to law schools is expensive, and $70+ one way or another can really affect a budget sometimes!

RhubarbPie
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:33 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby RhubarbPie » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:07 pm

I got the snail mail Cornell waiver today.

I also got the viewbook and waiver from Michigan (they had already sent me a waiver via email), however on the letter there was a hand written note from Zearfoss. I was wondering if anyone else got this? I don't want to get my hopes up if it is standard :roll: . Thanks.

User avatar
Helmholtz
Posts: 4394
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:08 pm

hykang wrote:I got the snail mail Cornell waiver today.

I also got the viewbook and waiver from Michigan (they had already sent me a waiver via email), however on the letter there was a hand written note from Zearfoss. I was wondering if anyone else got this? I don't want to get my hopes up if it is standard :roll: . Thanks.


I think every letter has a handwritten note.

vlurry
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:56 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby vlurry » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:30 pm

I was extremely out of the loop on fee waivers and so only recently turned on my LSAC feature that said to report my info to schools, cause I haven't received a single email/mail from a law school up until now. Is it too late to be considered for waivers, since most the schools have already sent things out? Would it make sense to put in a request somehow? Please, my meager non-profit salary needs some help.

User avatar
SamSeaborn2016
Posts: 412
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:33 pm

SamSeaborn2016 wrote:Hey everybody. I sent about 30 emails yesterday requesting fee waivers (never know unless you ask) and have already had quite a few responses. I thought I'd share with everyone. I'll update with other responses as I get them


Iowa- only grant merit based waivers only for 165 and 3.85 or above.
Alabama- Have not decided whether or not they are doing merit based this year.
U. Washington- Washington residents only
Ohio State- will be sending them by e-mail from Mid-September to October
UC Davis- LSAC waiver only
UConn- sent me forms to fill out that my computer can't open. :lol:
Kentucky- sent me a form to fill out and want a "Why Kentucky?" 250 word essay
Villanova- happily waived my fee
Baylor- happy waived my fee (it might actually be waived for all LSAC apps)
Temple- finanicial need only
Richmond- happily waived my fee


Thought I would update with the rest I got after asking:

Illinois (free for everyone this cycle I believe)
U. Georgia
U. Colorado
U. Wisconsin
Denver
Santa Clara
Penn State

I'm sure those of you with better numbers (most of you) will have no problem getting some if you ask.

User avatar
babaghanouj
Posts: 278
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby babaghanouj » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:58 pm

Has anyone had success snagging a waiver from chicago yet?

Diskette15
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 9:58 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby Diskette15 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:06 pm

hykang wrote:I got the snail mail Cornell waiver today.

I also got the viewbook and waiver from Michigan (they had already sent me a waiver via email), however on the letter there was a hand written note from Zearfoss. I was wondering if anyone else got this? I don't want to get my hopes up if it is standard :roll: . Thanks.


+1 on Michigan viewbook and waiver, very excited for that one

User avatar
Lmao Zedong
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:10 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby Lmao Zedong » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:16 pm

babaghanouj wrote:Has anyone had success snagging a waiver from chicago yet?


i asked them about it and they told me they discontinued merit-based waivers a few years ago.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: laowhynot109, onlyhere4fun, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests