2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
hoopsguy6
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

Postby hoopsguy6 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:51 pm

I just got the NYU hidden waiver too!!!! Whoo! Still no Chicago/Columbia. I almost feel like not applying to Chicago out of spite.

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

Postby AngryAvocado » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:52 pm

politik wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:NOOOOICE!! I got the hidden NYU waiver as well.

This makes me very happy as I was going to spend $75 on that.


I'm sure this is a dumb question that has been answered many times in many places, but what is a hidden fee waiver? I've gotten a ton of fee waivers but they've all been via email. Is there someplace else I should be looking?


Wow. I just gave up waiting and sent in my application, too. :cry:

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

Postby CyLaw » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:52 pm

politik wrote:[
Eww so you have to fill out the application first though eh? Guess I'll try it with the schools I was going to apply to anyway.


No you just need to open the app, and then save it and then follow the previously stated steps. You may have to feel out required fields, but not the whole app.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:55 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
politik wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:NOOOOICE!! I got the hidden NYU waiver as well.

This makes me very happy as I was going to spend $75 on that.


I'm sure this is a dumb question that has been answered many times in many places, but what is a hidden fee waiver? I've gotten a ton of fee waivers but they've all been via email. Is there someplace else I should be looking?


Wow. I just gave up waiting and sent in my application, too. :cry:

Question.. if you don't sign up for those scholarships (I don't think anyone of them really apply to me) is there no other way to get merit aid?

User avatar
hoopsguy6
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

Postby hoopsguy6 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:56 pm

JollyGreenGiant wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:
politik wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:NOOOOICE!! I got the hidden NYU waiver as well.

This makes me very happy as I was going to spend $75 on that.


I'm sure this is a dumb question that has been answered many times in many places, but what is a hidden fee waiver? I've gotten a ton of fee waivers but they've all been via email. Is there someplace else I should be looking?


Wow. I just gave up waiting and sent in my application, too. :cry:

Question.. if you don't sign up for those scholarships (I don't think anyone of them really apply to me) is there no other way to get merit aid?


I'm fairly certain there's still merit aid available. I'm applying to one of them though; the extra essay is going to significantly delay my NYU app. :(

RednBlack
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:00 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

Postby RednBlack » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:06 am

Received viewbooks + letters from Penn, Baylor, USC, and BU in today's mail.

USC included a merit based fee waiver that I have mail in after submitting my online app. I've already received a fee waiver from Penn and Baylor but I'm not interested in applying to BU so I won't be requesting via e-mail.

I've been waiting for USC so it's definitely a good day :D

User avatar
ruleser
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:41 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

Postby ruleser » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:30 am

Got BU in snail mail today.

akw009
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:36 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

Postby akw009 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:03 am

does anyone know if American gives out waivers?

User avatar
ValiantVic
Posts: 164
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

Postby ValiantVic » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:50 am

Got NYU!!!! Now where's Michigan and Cornell???????

mbv
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:03 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

Postby mbv » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:53 am

Got USC in the mail today-- they give you a paper that you have to sign and submit with you application in lieu of payment.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

Postby superflush » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:54 am

sukaili wrote:Yay! Hidden NYU waiver just made my night - almost makes up for NY beating the Phils


not quite. but still nice.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

Postby superflush » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:56 am

akw009 wrote:does anyone know if American gives out waivers?


Dear akw,

Thank you for your interest in the WCL.
Unfortunately, we do not grant fee waivers based on merit. If you qualified for an LSAC fee waiver, then our application fee is automatically waived. Otherwise, you will need to pay the fee to apply to WCL.

...

Doesn't look like it. But schools say this all the time.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

Postby superflush » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:58 am

mbv wrote:Got USC in the mail today-- they give you a paper that you have to sign and submit with you application in lieu of payment.


thats rather old school ... you have to mail something in. :|

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

Postby homestyle28 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:13 am

Just found a hidden Northwestern waiver! Huzzah! And I'm wearing a grandpa sweater! Good times are here to stay!

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

Postby Jericwithers » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:23 pm

Response from Penn. Atleast they didnt flat out reject me like Georgetown, but the end of October is today so they didn't tell me to hold my breath for too long lol.

Thank you for your message and interest in Penn Law. First, a few questions -

Have you opted-in for LSAC's Candidate Referral Service? Are you registered
with the Credential Assembly Service? Finally, have you sent your most recent
transcripts to LSAC? Absent all three steps, an applicant's potential
fee-waiver might not be processed.

Please also note that our merit-based fee waivers are made available
automatically in light of many criteria and that we do not grant them following
individual requests.

In any event, we will send new waivers to candidates in the coming days; it will
still be quite early in the process, as we will not begin to review most
completed applications until November. Thus, we recommend not submitting the
application (and thus not paying the fee) until the end of October. If you do
not hear from us by then, you should move forward with your application and
associated payment.

Finally, information about the need-based waiver process is found here:

https://www.law.upenn.edu/prospective/j ... #feewaiver

Best regards,

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

Postby Unitas » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:26 pm

I got columbus school of law today.. Never heard of them before.

User avatar
Foozle
Posts: 166
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:04 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

Postby Foozle » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:28 pm

Kakarot wrote:I got columbus school of law today.. Never heard of them before.

Isn't that just Catholic University?

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

Postby Unitas » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:30 pm

Foozle wrote:
Kakarot wrote:I got columbus school of law today.. Never heard of them before.

Isn't that just Catholic University?


I guess.. Invite said to apply to columbus school of law... Then it says catholic university inside of it.

CyLaw
Posts: 1557
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

Postby CyLaw » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:33 pm

Kakarot wrote:I got columbus school of law today.. Never heard of them before.


Was it from Butts?

User avatar
Encyclopedia Brown
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:25 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:34 pm

UVA yesterday (requested). Third waiver from a school whose application I would have paid for, and it feels better every time.

ss42
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:52 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

Postby ss42 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:34 pm

i got the catholic university one too. and yes, it was butts.

0L Hoping for 1
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

Postby 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:35 pm

CyLaw wrote:
Kakarot wrote:I got columbus school of law today.. Never heard of them before.


Was it from Butts?

hehehehe Butts

Blazers4Life
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:37 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

Postby Blazers4Life » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:41 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:UVA yesterday (requested). Third waiver from a school whose application I would have paid for, and it feels better every time.


Oh you have no idea. I had pretty much budgeted ~$1500 for this process, and it's going to cost me less than $400.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

Postby Unitas » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:44 pm

Blazers4Life wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:UVA yesterday (requested). Third waiver from a school whose application I would have paid for, and it feels better every time.


Oh you have no idea. I had pretty much budgeted ~$1500 for this process, and it's going to cost me less than $400.


The only app I paid for as of now is barely in the top 100.. I don't even know why I applied. Just some sense of loyalty I guess..

Blazers4Life
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:37 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

Postby Blazers4Life » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:46 pm

Kakarot wrote:
Blazers4Life wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:UVA yesterday (requested). Third waiver from a school whose application I would have paid for, and it feels better every time.


Oh you have no idea. I had pretty much budgeted ~$1500 for this process, and it's going to cost me less than $400.


The only app I paid for as of now is barely in the top 100.. I don't even know why I applied. Just some sense of loyalty I guess..


Your alma mater? Mine is ranked in the 50s for Law. They were on my initial list, then removed when I realized how many fee waivers I was going to get. They finally came through with one, so they went back on the list.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], MSNbot Media and 1 guest