2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:06 pm

Saya wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:
emptybee wrote:What are the cutoffs for Chicago waiver?


FWIW, 172/3.5x doesn't cut it. :x


170 here. Got it on Friday morning. (hidden though)


Damn you! GPA?

(Congrats :D )

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby Rand M. » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:12 pm

Jericwithers wrote:For those of you who have gotten fee waivers through traditional mail, is it just a notification of your hidden-waiver or is it a fee waiver code that it entered when submitting?


I got one from UPenn in the mail today. It was a viewbook, a diversity book, and a letter saying that the fee would automatically be waived when I applied online. I have gotten a bunch but if they were from schools I am not considering then I didn't even open them so I am not sure about how other schools do this.

User avatar
Saya
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:33 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby Saya » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:14 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
Saya wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:
emptybee wrote:What are the cutoffs for Chicago waiver?


FWIW, 172/3.5x doesn't cut it. :x


170 here. Got it on Friday morning. (hidden though)


Damn you! GPA?

(Congrats :D )


Thanks. :D 4.1 LSDAS GPA. I'm not sure what their criteria are, or how they calculate it. Because I know Columbia only looks at LSAT score.

User avatar
hv1
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:08 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby hv1 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:14 pm

A question that has probablybeen answered: are fee waivers GOOD to get unsolicited???

knola002
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:36 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby knola002 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:00 pm

Headybrah wrote:proposed new rules:
1. When you state you got a fee waiver please put whether you requested it or not
2. State your stats

This will help reduce a lot of the random posts in this thread and help people know whether or not they qualify for it...
Penn waiver notification via snail mail. Unrequested. 176/4.05.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby superflush » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:27 am

Jericwithers wrote:For those of you who have gotten fee waivers through traditional mail, is it just a notification of your hidden-waiver or is it a fee waiver code that it entered when submitting?


Its usually a notification that you have a fee waiver in the system (so not hidden at this point)

User avatar
riburn3
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:56 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby riburn3 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:52 am

Just got one from Ark-Little Rock telling me if I applied by Jan 15th and was admitted, I would receive a full ride. Looking at their LSAC page, it seems like a good chunk of people get full rides or some sort of aid.

User avatar
mi-chan17
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:55 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby mi-chan17 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:10 am

Just got UChicago (hidden). I won't get in, but I'm much more willing to spend $12 on a rejection.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby superflush » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:14 am

mi-chan17 wrote:Just got UChicago (hidden). I won't get in, but I'm much more willing to spend $12 on a rejection.


cutoff question answered.

User avatar
mi-chan17
Posts: 428
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:55 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby mi-chan17 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:22 am

superflush wrote:
mi-chan17 wrote:Just got UChicago (hidden). I won't get in, but I'm much more willing to spend $12 on a rejection.


cutoff question answered.


If they have a cutoff, it's not one that's high enough for someone to realistically get in. I have a 169 and a 3.5X. I'm Hispanic, but I'm not from one of the groups that receives a URM boost. So...yeah. No idea about what they're using as their criteria over in Chicago.

Blazers4Life
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:37 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby Blazers4Life » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:25 am

mi-chan17 wrote:
superflush wrote:
mi-chan17 wrote:Just got UChicago (hidden). I won't get in, but I'm much more willing to spend $12 on a rejection.


cutoff question answered.


If they have a cutoff, it's not one that's high enough for someone to realistically get in. I have a 169 and a 3.5X. I'm Hispanic, but I'm not from one of the groups that receives a URM boost. So...yeah. No idea about what they're using as their criteria over in Chicago.


172/3.6 and I just checked... no hidden from Chicago.

For what it's worth, I was rejected from Chicago for the 2009 cycle. Maybe they blacklisted me.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby superflush » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:36 am

Blazers4Life wrote:172/3.6 and I just checked... no hidden from Chicago.

For what it's worth, I was rejected from Chicago for the 2009 cycle. Maybe they blacklisted me.


Definitely a possibility. Do you have certain economic views that go against Chicago?

Blazers4Life
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:37 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby Blazers4Life » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:42 am

superflush wrote:
Blazers4Life wrote:172/3.6 and I just checked... no hidden from Chicago.

For what it's worth, I was rejected from Chicago for the 2009 cycle. Maybe they blacklisted me.


Definitely a possibility. Do you have certain economic views that go against Chicago?


Certainly nothing that came across in my application :wink: . Honestly, I think it was my 152 score that was in conflict with Chicago's "views." Needless to say, I was much more naive about the LS admissions process before I found this wonderful community.

User avatar
Slansky
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:40 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby Slansky » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:45 am

I got UPenn by snail mail yesterday, with the viewbook. 170/3.85

User avatar
Jericwithers
Posts: 2194
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby Jericwithers » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:53 am

Slansky wrote:I got UPenn by snail mail yesterday, with the viewbook. 170/3.85


Was it a requested viewbook?

zoey15
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:12 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby zoey15 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:12 pm

Slansky wrote:I got UPenn by snail mail yesterday, with the viewbook. 170/3.85



Same 171/3.5

knola002
Posts: 176
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:36 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby knola002 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 1:49 pm

Just got the ND fee waiver via e-mail. Unrequested. 176/4.05.

squelp
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:02 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby squelp » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:57 am

Blazers4Life wrote:172/3.6 and I just checked... no hidden from Chicago.

For what it's worth, I was rejected from Chicago for the 2009 cycle. Maybe they blacklisted me.


Same stats here and no hidden from Chicago either (and I wasn't rejected in the 09 cycle).

User avatar
nyyankees
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:50 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby nyyankees » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:28 am

depaul....yay?

User avatar
nyyankees
Posts: 484
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:50 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby nyyankees » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 am

also, has anyone had any success soliciting fee waivers before they had their transcript in? Ive gotten a handful, but I feel a little off asking for a waiver when my GPA isnt in the system yet....

User avatar
forza
Posts: 2777
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:32 am

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby forza » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:38 am

Guess I'm applying to Chicago now, too. CRS fee waiver (hidden).

User avatar
SamSeaborn2016
Posts: 412
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:07 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:39 am

dePaul just hit my e-mail.

Blazers4Life
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:37 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby Blazers4Life » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:59 am

So, of the 16 schools I planned to apply to regardless of fee waivers, every school south of #6 in the rankings has sent me a waiver.... except USC.

No waiver from Columbia, NYU, Chicago, or Berkeley, but got them from Penn, Michigan, Duke... UCLA... Vanderbilt... Boston U.

Seems pretty logical, right? What's up with USC? Anyone have one?

EDIT: Forgive my lies; no love from Cornell either.
Last edited by Blazers4Life on Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacosta6
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:11 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby jacosta6 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:01 pm

Blazers4Life wrote:So, of the 16 schools I planned to apply to regardless of fee waivers, every school south of #6 in the rankings has sent me a waiver.... except USC.

No waiver from Columbia, NYU, Chicago, or Berkeley, but got them from Penn, Michigan, Duke... UCLA... Vanderbilt... Boston U.

Seems pretty logical, right? What's up with USC? Anyone have one?


Did you request one from BU? I have around the same list of schools, and have yet to receive one from them.

User avatar
Slansky
Posts: 142
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:40 pm

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby Slansky » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:08 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Slansky wrote:I got UPenn by snail mail yesterday, with the viewbook. 170/3.85


Was it a requested viewbook?


No.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: grades??, kingpin101, somebodyelse, TheDapperDruid and 8 guests