2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
missvik218

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Postby missvik218 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:37 pm

Agreed, end of October I think is a solid deadline ... anybody cramming to have things in before then (unless you're EDing and the deadline is before then) is causing themselves undue additional stress.

Re: My point about getting fees returned if granted a waiver after application, here is what my friend who did it last year said:
Yes,
If at any time you are granted a fee waiver you can request money back...but they are less likely to mail you one if you have already applied so you can always ask or get one in person at an event or visit. Most of the waivers end up being taken care of automatically through LSAC.org.

Pankun

Postby Pankun » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:59 pm

nparker wrote:I may have overlooked this information somewhere, but is there a place where we can find out which schools offer merit-based waivers and which don't? If, for some reason, someone knows all this information off the top of their head, the schools I'm interested in knowing about are (I've noted in parentheses those schools that I know do/do not offer merit-based waivers ... of course, I could be wrong. If so, please tell me.):

Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Columbia
Chicago
NYU
Berkeley (no)
Michigan (yes)
Virginia (yes)
Duke (no)
Northwestern (yes)
Georgetown (yes)
UCLA
USC

So I just called the Northwestern admissions ppl and they said they do hand out fee waivers, but the applicant should request it on their application. Then I asked for clarification if this is for merit-based or need-based, and the guy said it was for both. I already know Georgetown will send you an email informing you if your fee is waived. Does anyone have experience with Northwestern emailing ppl fee waivers?

I guess this is what he was talking about: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissi ... waiver.pdf

In the 2nd page you have to describe why you want the fee waiver. Kind of awkward ... you get to be a beggar.

Pankun

Postby Pankun » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:13 pm

I also just called Michigan to see whats the deal. Their FAQ says this (http://www.law.umich.edu/contact/Pages/default.aspx):

Does Michigan offer application fee waivers? If so, how can I get one?
We have two types of fee waivers, need-based and merit-based, available for students who qualify.

Merit-based waivers are given out based on information that we obtain from the Candidate Referral Service (CRS) via LSAC. CRS fee waivers are automatically sent to highly qualified applicants encouraging them to apply.

We also offer a limited number of waivers to people who don’t receive CRS waivers, based on academic excellence and life experience. Please email the Admissions Office if you would like to be considered for one of these waivers.

Finally, a limited number of need-based waivers are given to applicants demonstrating financial hardship. Generally speaking, if you are eligible for a LSAC waiver, then you’ll be eligible for our application fee waiver as well. An interested applicant should contact our office via email, and we will send the fee waiver application form as an attachment.

I talked to a guy on the phone, and I asked him that if I hadn't received a merit fee waiver yet via email, does that mean I need to request one in writing? -- he said they haven't started sending them out yet and maybe they'll start in a week and do keep doing it thru-out the year on a rolling basis. He also said I could go ahead and ask for one in writing right now "to get it out of the way." He told me to write them a run down of who I am, etc. So I might go and give that a try.

rsg87

Postby rsg87 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:22 pm

Pankun wrote:I also just called Michigan to see whats the deal. Their FAQ says this (http://www.law.umich.edu/contact/Pages/default.aspx):

We have two types of fee waivers, need-based and merit-based, available for students who qualify.

Merit-based waivers are given out based on information that we obtain from the Candidate Referral Service (CRS) via LSAC. CRS fee waivers are automatically sent to highly qualified applicants encouraging them to apply.

We also offer a limited number of waivers to people who don’t receive CRS waivers, based on academic excellence and life experience. Please email the Admissions Office if you would like to be considered for one of these waivers.

Finally, a limited number of need-based waivers are given to applicants demonstrating financial hardship. Generally speaking, if you are eligible for a LSAC waiver, then you’ll be eligible for our application fee waiver as well. An interested applicant should contact our office via email, and we will send the fee waiver application form as an attachment.

I talked to a guy on the phone, and I asked him that if I hadn't received a merit fee waiver yet via email, does that mean I need to request one in writing? -- he said they haven't started sending them out yet and maybe they'll start in a week and do keep doing it thru-out the year on a rolling basis. He also said I could go ahead and ask for one in writing right now "to get it out of the way." He told me to write them a run down of who I am, etc. So I might go and give that a try.

I wrote UM an email stating my GPA, LSAT score, and LSAC number and said I was interested and they granted me one and got back to me in the same day

Pankun

Postby Pankun » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:26 pm

rsg87 wrote:I wrote UM an email stating my GPA, LSAT score, and LSAC number and said I was interested and they granted me one and got back to me in the same day

Sweet. Thanks a lot. I'm gonna do that today.

I called Virginia just now, and they said that if I want a merit-based fee waiver I need to explicit write them an email. Their FAQ said the same thing (http://www.law.virginia.edu/html/prospectives/faqs.htm):

We are happy to waive the application fee for any applicant for whom payment of the fee will prevent them from applying or would pose a hardship. E-mail us at lawadmit@virginia.edu for a fee waiver.

I'll give that a shot as well today. Anyways, I try to shake-down CCN tomorrow but I gotta get back to work now. :cry:

soullesswonder

Postby soullesswonder » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:17 pm

rsg87 wrote:
Pankun wrote:I also just called Michigan to see whats the deal. Their FAQ says this (http://www.law.umich.edu/contact/Pages/default.aspx):

I wrote UM an email stating my GPA, LSAT score, and LSAC number and said I was interested and they granted me one and got back to me in the same day

Same here. Michigan gave me a waiver within two hours of my email today. Their turnaround time is impressive.

lz06

Postby lz06 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:10 pm

UVA just sent me a waiver, unsolicited.

iminlstrick

Postby iminlstrick » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:11 pm

lz06 wrote:UVA just sent me a waiver, unsolicited.

+1

Pankun

Postby Pankun » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:14 pm

soullesswonder wrote:
rsg87 wrote:I wrote UM an email stating my GPA, LSAT score, and LSAC number and said I was interested and they granted me one and got back to me in the same day

Same here. Michigan gave me a waiver within two hours of my email today. Their turnaround time is impressive.

Yeah they got back to me within 2 hours. Very nice. I called NYU and they said they don't give out merit-based fee waiver and there is no fee waiver application. They only honor LSAC waivers. I also called Columbia and they apparently give out fee waivers soon after the LSAT. The guy told me there is no point in me explicitly writing them for a waiver since they auto-grant them. My guess is that they auto-grant them for the 175+'ers or possibly URMs. Has anyone got one from Columbia yet?

Pankun

Postby Pankun » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:16 pm

iminlstrick wrote:

+1

Damn, fail for me. Maybe I should be patient.

babaghanouj

Postby babaghanouj » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:22 pm

Pankun wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:

Yeah they got back to me within 2 hours. Very nice. I called NYU and they said they don't give out merit-based fee waiver and there is no fee waiver application. They only honor LSAC waivers. I also called Columbia and they apparently give out fee waivers soon after the LSAT. The guy told me there is no point in me explicitly writing them for a waiver since they auto-grant them. My guess is that they auto-grant them for the 175+'ers or possibly URMs. Has anyone got one from Columbia yet?

175 here, but no columbia waiver.

freewheelin

Postby freewheelin » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:26 pm

Pankun wrote:
iminlstrick wrote:

+1

Go ahead and email them asking for one. I got a reply, with a waiver, in the same day.

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:47 pm

Last edited by gahthelaw on Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iminlstrick

Postby iminlstrick » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:49 pm

Pankun wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:

My friend got one from CLS last year -- he had a 177 LSAT and eventually received the Hamilton.

Edit: on a positive, he never received a fee waiver from UVA. :)

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:53 pm

iminlstrick wrote:
Pankun wrote:
soullesswonder wrote:

My friend got one from CLS last year -- he had a 177 LSAT and eventually received the Hamilton.

Edit: on a positive, he never received a fee waiver from UVA. :)

phew - all hope not lost! :lol:

My friend from a previous cycle got one from CLS with a 170, but he got it in october right after taking the october test. Maybe they wait until then and send them out en masse?

lz06

Postby lz06 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:58 pm

[/quote]
phew - all hope not lost! :lol:

My friend from a previous cycle got one from CLS with a 170, but he got it in october right after taking the october test. Maybe they wait until then and send them out en masse?[/quote]

If you look at last years thread, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37619, people had hidden waivers from Columbia and NYU in early September. So hopefully we'll get some as well

Pankun

Postby Pankun » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:29 pm

lz06 wrote:
gahthelaw wrote:phew - all hope not lost! :lol:

My friend from a previous cycle got one from CLS with a 170, but he got it in october right after taking the october test. Maybe they wait until then and send them out en masse?

If you look at last years thread, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37619, people had hidden waivers from Columbia and NYU in early September. So hopefully we'll get some as well

Sweet. Thanks for that link. I talked to Duke and Penn and they both said they haven't started granting fee waivers yet and will do so beginning mid Sept. Possibly Columbia hasn't started giving them out yet (esp since their applications isn't even out yet).

freewheelin wrote:
Pankun wrote:
iminlstrick wrote:

+1

Go ahead and email them asking for one. I got a reply, with a waiver, in the same day.

Yeah I wrote UVA yesterday. Still waiting ... EDIT: nevermind they just sent me one
Last edited by Pankun on Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

40ina

Postby 40ina » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:32 pm

iminlstrick wrote:

+1

+1

gahthelaw

Postby gahthelaw » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:45 pm

i take it back! UVA! (maybe they're sending them out alphabetically...)

Legacy316

Postby Legacy316 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:00 pm

UVA +1.

lz06

Postby lz06 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:09 pm

Duke said they won't be sending out until mid September?? Damn. I wanted to submit first week of Sept. but I think I'd rather wait and not pay the $75..

dynamic180

Postby dynamic180 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:26 pm

I alreay started the application for Duke. Would they know that i am applying anyway, so they don't give me a fee waiver?
lz06 wrote:Duke said they won't be sending out until mid September?? Damn. I wanted to submit first week of Sept. but I think I'd rather wait and not pay the $75..

gossipgirl

Postby gossipgirl » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:28 pm

lz06 wrote:Duke said they won't be sending out until mid September?? Damn. I wanted to submit first week of Sept. but I think I'd rather wait and not pay the $75..

It's less the $75 waiver with the Duke and more getting the priority applicant thing. I really hope they send me that.

When I talked to a Duke Admissions person, they told me that they'd be sending it out mid-to-late August. Last year seems to support this.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:34 pm

dynamic180 wrote:I alreay started the application for Duke. Would they know that i am applying anyway, so they don't give me a fee waiver?

Note: See my post about being able to get fees returned if you're granted a fee waiver after you've submitted your application.

SamSeaborn2016

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:01 pm

Is it me or does it seem like fee-waivers simply stopped coming all of a sudden? I had a week or two where I got the same batch most people got and then the well dried up. I know I wont be getting them from UVA or Duke (although, really, I was surprised I got them from W&M and Minn.) I'd like to get apps out as early as possible but I'm also a man with a budget. :lol:

might be about time for me to send out some e-mails and start asking...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”