2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
knola002

Bronze

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Post by knola002 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:58 pm

Still no love from Columbia :cry: . On the bright side, got the Regent waiver and an invite from FSU, so I don't need Columbia and their ridiculous starting salary, amazing network, and awesome location anyway!

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:59 pm

knola002 wrote:Still no love from Columbia :cry: . On the bright side, got the Regent waiver and an invite from FSU, so I don't need Columbia and their ridiculous starting salary, amazing network, and awesome location anyway!
Hey Virginia Beach is nice!

jlk86

New

Post by jlk86 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:11 pm

dakatz wrote:Are these ND waivers just coming in today? Totally didn't get one. Lol, guess they know I'm Jewish.
haha yea i got one today, 166/3.76 (& jewish)- it sounds like they just started sending them out today & every school seems to be coming out in batches so maybe yours is en route

GatorBait09

New

Post by GatorBait09 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:11 pm

I actually didn't know any of that about Regent, I just thought it was some random crap T3/T4 school.

That kind of makes their header all that more obnoxious.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:12 pm

knola002 wrote: I don't need Columbia and their ridiculous starting salary, amazing network, and awesome location anyway!
Ehhhhhh.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GatorBait09

New

Post by GatorBait09 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:14 pm

Florida schools can't give fee waivers? I just got a pretty curt response from UF regarding my fee waiver request; they said that Florida law prohibits them from waiving the application fee. Is this just bullshit to get me to go away or something? I've never heard of this.

They mis-spelled my name too. Thanks alma mater.

jlk86

New

Post by jlk86 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:21 pm

GatorBait09 wrote:Florida schools can't give fee waivers? I just got a pretty curt response from UF regarding my fee waiver request; they said that Florida law prohibits them from waiving the application fee. Is this just bullshit to get me to go away or something? I've never heard of this.

really?? come to think of it i havent heard of anyone getting or even trying to get fee waivers from FL schools in the past (i went to UF as well) so maybe thats legit. i actually emailed miami about one last night but still have yet to hear anything

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:22 pm

I got an email from FSU today, but there was no waiver in it. That was the first non-waiver school email I've gotten since the LSAT, so maybe it's true.

The only waiver I haven't gotten that a lot of people seem to have is WUSTL (or is Washington in Washington state? Haven't gotten either).

MeasuredOptimism

New

Post by MeasuredOptimism » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:36 pm

I noticed this week that I have a CRS hidden waiver from Northwestern.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:40 pm

eviee wrote:i got Columbia with a 169/3.8 (my transcript has been received if that makes a difference)therefore i def think there are more waivers coming since I got UCLA on Monday and they told people they would be sending them later on in the week. I'm also from NYC if region makes a difference...
Does region make a difference? I have same stats as you, but havn't gotten anything from Columbia (and tired of waiting). I know I probably get more Texas schools than every else, but does a school like Columbia really prefer to give a waiver to someone who lived in NYC?

jrobby6

Bronze

Post by jrobby6 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:45 pm

Michigan State today. I got an ND email but I see no mention of a fee waiver...what gives??

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:46 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
eviee wrote:i got Columbia with a 169/3.8 (my transcript has been received if that makes a difference)therefore i def think there are more waivers coming since I got UCLA on Monday and they told people they would be sending them later on in the week. I'm also from NYC if region makes a difference...
Does region make a difference? I have same stats as you, but havn't gotten anything from Columbia (and tired of waiting). I know I probably get more Texas schools than every else, but does a school like Columbia really prefer to give a waiver to someone who lived in NYC?
Doubt it. I'm from NYC and haven't received the waiver yet.

hhg

Bronze

Post by hhg » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:47 pm

i don't think that it's a law... i have a hidden fee waiver from u miami (a safety), but got an email back from fsu when i solicited that said "I greatly anticipate seeing your application come through our office! Unfortunately Florida State Law is not offering any fee waivers at this time as our application fee is $30." true, it's only $30, so can't really complain, but it's another safety so it kind of sucks. i've been reading for weeks, but had no real reason to comment before, but now that i'm here my stats are 168/3.43 (from a school that tends to deflate grades). as far as fee waivers, i've gotten nd, ucla, smu, uh and some other randoms.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

amidea

Bronze

Post by amidea » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:51 pm

GeePee wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
i'm also from NYC, 177 LSAT and no fee waiver. boo.

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:54 pm

hhg wrote:i don't think that it's a law... i have a hidden fee waiver from u miami (a safety), but got an email back from fsu when i solicited that said "I greatly anticipate seeing your application come through our office! Unfortunately Florida State Law is not offering any fee waivers at this time as our application fee is $30." true, it's only $30, so can't really complain, but it's another safety so it kind of sucks. i've been reading for weeks, but had no real reason to comment before, but now that i'm here my stats are 168/3.43 (from a school that tends to deflate grades). as far as fee waivers, i've gotten nd, ucla, smu, uh and some other randoms.
Miami is a private school.

MeasuredOptimism

New

Post by MeasuredOptimism » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:59 pm

amidea wrote:
GeePee wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
i'm also from NYC, 177 LSAT and no fee waiver. boo.
From NYC and got the Columbia fee waiver via snail mail several weeks ago. Check where your LSAC related snail mail is going.

hhg

Bronze

Post by hhg » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:02 pm

forza wrote:
hhg wrote:i don't think that it's a law... i have a hidden fee waiver from u miami (a safety), but got an email back from fsu when i solicited that said "I greatly anticipate seeing your application come through our office! Unfortunately Florida State Law is not offering any fee waivers at this time as our application fee is $30." true, it's only $30, so can't really complain, but it's another safety so it kind of sucks. i've been reading for weeks, but had no real reason to comment before, but now that i'm here my stats are 168/3.43 (from a school that tends to deflate grades). as far as fee waivers, i've gotten nd, ucla, smu, uh and some other randoms.
ha, sorry. [blushes] good catch.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:08 pm

hhg wrote:
forza wrote:
ha, sorry. [blushes] good catch.
Congrats on the waiver, though. Can't say I wouldn't mind reading Torts & Contracts on the beach. :wink:

chinagator

New

Post by chinagator » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:14 pm

GatorBait09 wrote:Florida schools can't give fee waivers? I just got a pretty curt response from UF regarding my fee waiver request; they said that Florida law prohibits them from waiving the application fee. Is this just bullshit to get me to go away or something? I've never heard of this.

Join the club. They haven't pursued me even a little. I'm quite underwhelmed with them anyways.

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:34 pm

I got a similar response from UF. I used to work for UF so it is pretty believable. When I left the University there was a hiring freeze, pay increase freeze and much fighting over who controled tuition and fees. Because of resident scholarships (Bright Futures I think) and tuition breaks, the schools are stuck on certain fees probably.

Joan Hollaway

Silver

Post by Joan Hollaway » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:09 pm

i guess region doesn't matter...I'm really curious as to the method of columbia's madness

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:18 pm

nyyankees wrote:alabama, georgia, george mason and brooklyn in the mail today. I would trade all of them for an emory or ND fee waiver....
Those 2 are free anyway

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:21 pm

JayTal wrote:
86revolt wrote:UCLA told me straight up that I do not qualify for a merit-based fee waiver (jerks), GW told me they don't give those out, and USC directed me to their need-based fee waiver application. Oh well, got fee waivers from Emory, W&M, and WUSTL (two days before they emailed me one through CRS...wasted effort).

Anyone have any luck getting solicited fee waivers from UCLA, GW, or USC?
I received one from UCLA yesterday. GW told me the same. And USC sent me an email saying they'd be sending them out tomorrow.
Same from GW - seems legit. They even congratulated me on my score/achievements, but still said they don't do it.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:21 pm

SamSeaborn2016 wrote:

I got a similar response from UF. I used to work for UF so it is pretty believable. When I left the University there was a hiring freeze, pay increase freeze and much fighting over who controled tuition and fees. Because of resident scholarships (Bright Futures I think) and tuition breaks, the schools are stuck on certain fees probably.
Its probably something to do with the State University System of Florida, not some state-wide law.

johnstuartmill

Bronze

Post by johnstuartmill » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:21 pm

With a 170/175 and a 3.47, I've gotten waivers from Minnesota, Notre Dame, and Vandy. I e-mailed Columbia to see if they'll give me a merit-based fee waiver, like they did last year, but they just directed me to their need-based waiver application. I think they're under the impression that they gave me a need-based application last year.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”