2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BaiAilian2013

Silver

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:12 pm

Any word on merit-based waivers from Fordham? I e-mailed them a while ago, asking specifically for a merit-based waiver, and they told me to give them my mailing address. Yesterday, I received in the mail what is unmistakably an application for a need-based waiver. I just went through to checkout and I do not have a CRS waiver. Anyone know when/if these will be coming out?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:24 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Any word on merit-based waivers from Fordham? I e-mailed them a while ago, asking specifically for a merit-based waiver, and they told me to give them my mailing address. Yesterday, I received in the mail what is unmistakably an application for a need-based waiver. I just went through to checkout and I do not have a CRS waiver. Anyone know when/if these will be coming out?
I do not remember anybody from last year who got a merit waiver from them, either automatically or by request. With Fordham's finances so tight, I wouldn't be surprised if they just don't do them.

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:28 pm

I'm sure this has been asked before, but does anyone know how long after sept. scores come out it takes for schools to start spitting up more waivers?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:30 pm

tintin wrote:I'm sure this has been asked before, but does anyone know how long after sept. scores come out it takes for schools to start spitting up more waivers?
From what I remember, it really depends on the school. There were some I got the next day after scores were released and some I didn't get till a few weeks after that.

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:36 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
tintin wrote:I'm sure this has been asked before, but does anyone know how long after sept. scores come out it takes for schools to start spitting up more waivers?
From what I remember, it really depends on the school. There were some I got the next day after scores were released and some I didn't get till a few weeks after that.
When did you get your CLS waiver last year? I'll be applying but am wondering whether or not it's worth waiting a week or two, or whether waivers usually come out later on.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:48 pm

GeePee wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
When did you get your CLS waiver last year? I'll be applying but am wondering whether or not it's worth waiting a week or two, or whether waivers usually come out later on.
I received mine for the December LSAT, but for the people who took it in the fall, I think it was rather quick, maybe a few days after scores were released?

GeePee

Silver

Post by GeePee » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:50 pm

Helmholtz wrote:I received mine for the December LSAT, but for the people who took it in the fall, I think it was rather quick, maybe a few days after scores were released?
Thanks, I'll probably end up waiting then.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:50 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
GeePee wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
I received mine for the December LSAT, but for the people who took it in the fall, I think it was rather quick, maybe a few days after scores were released?

I think Columbia came sometime in August, also it said very specically in the e-mail that it was based entirely on LSAT. Whether or not they are sending more, I have no idea.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:59 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:04 pm

I emailed NYU and they claimed they don't give out fee waivers, only the LSAC fee waiver that stresses extreme need. Are they lying to me?

Padimud

Bronze

Post by Padimud » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:07 pm

Ohio State just came via mail. Great :D

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:48 pm

VoidSix wrote:I emailed NYU and they claimed they don't give out fee waivers, only the LSAC fee waiver that stresses extreme need. Are they lying to me?
Yes

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:Any word on merit-based waivers from Fordham? I e-mailed them a while ago, asking specifically for a merit-based waiver, and they told me to give them my mailing address. Yesterday, I received in the mail what is unmistakably an application for a need-based waiver. I just went through to checkout and I do not have a CRS waiver. Anyone know when/if these will be coming out?
I do not remember anybody from last year who got a merit waiver from them, either automatically or by request. With Fordham's finances so tight, I wouldn't be surprised if they just don't do them.
Thanks. And wow, that's a bummer.
It might have been nice if they had told me that when I e-mailed them, rather than pretending that by "merit" I might have actually meant "need."
VoidSix wrote:I emailed NYU and they claimed they don't give out fee waivers, only the LSAC fee waiver that stresses extreme need. Are they lying to me?
I hate to say "lying" because it just sounds like something you shouldn't say about a school you really want to go to... but they gave me a fee waiver, so it does seem that their statement is inconsistent with reality.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:13 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Thanks. And wow, that's a bummer.
It might have been nice if they had told me that when I e-mailed them, rather than pretending that by "merit" I might have actually meant "need."
I hate to say "lying" because it just sounds like something you shouldn't say about a school you really want to go to... but they gave me a fee waiver, so it does seem that their statement is inconsistent with reality.

NYU is not the only school guilty of doing this either, I wish schools would just be straight foward. I remember when I e-mailed Emory and requested a waiver, they straight up told me my GPA was too low. I much prefer that to schools who throw out those statements that are inconsistent with reality :)

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:22 pm

if i'm remembering your numbers correctly, don't you think you have really no business at all applying to fordham?

(L)

New

Post by (L) » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:29 pm

so do you pretty much have to have both #'s for the fee waiver emails to really start rolling in?

i have a 3.9 gpa but am still waiting for the sep. LSAT score and so far I've only received one fee waiver email from a T30 school...

charcop

New

Post by charcop » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:36 pm

GargamelITT wrote:not a fee waiver, but almost as cool.

got a few more emails from my old pal butts today, inviting me to stop by the butts booth at the NY law forum that i am apparently attending (who knew?)

i did, though, get a later email from the butts tech support team apologizing profusely for the error, so it's all good

I got 2 emails from Butts as well inviting me to visit her at the NY forum.

Guess I gotta go catch my transcontinental flight from Los Angeles to NY now....

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:47 pm

(L) wrote:so do you pretty much have to have both #'s for the fee waiver emails to really start rolling in?

i have a 3.9 gpa but am still waiting for the sep. LSAT score and so far I've only received one fee waiver email from a T30 school...
Yea, I don't think you'll get any decent fee waivers without an LSAT score.

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:37 pm

superflush wrote:
(L) wrote:so do you pretty much have to have both #'s for the fee waiver emails to really start rolling in?

Yea, I don't think you'll get any decent fee waivers without an LSAT score.
yeah i'm pretty sure this is true. one of the waivers i got (columbia) explicitly told me that their awarding the waiver was based solely on my LSAT score. most of the waivers were pretty vague though and talked about "outstanding credentials" and whatnot. still, i wouldn't be surprised if they aren't the only ones to do it on LSAT alone

ClemCarter

Bronze

Post by ClemCarter » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:40 pm

GargamelITT wrote:
yeah i'm pretty sure this is true. one of the waivers i got (columbia) explicitly told me that their awarding the waiver was based solely on my LSAT score. most of the waivers were pretty vague though and talked about "outstanding credentials" and whatnot. still, i wouldn't be surprised if they aren't the only ones to do it on LSAT alone

Ya, especially since, for CRS, you're reporting a GPA "band" (e.g. 3.5-3.7).... if I remember the CRS page correctly.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:46 pm

GargamelITT wrote:
if i'm remembering your numbers correctly, don't you think you have really no business at all applying to fordham?
LOL :oops: I try not to disclose my GPA on here, but it so happens that you have a point. I guess I just want a safety that, after I got over T6 sour grapes, I would be genuinely happy to attend. And I feel like my cycle is slightly unpredictable for a number of reasons, so in my case "safety" != "I'm not going there."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thinkbig

Bronze

Post by thinkbig » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:01 pm

Has anyone gotten need-based LSAC waiver?

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:17 pm

thinkbig wrote:Has anyone gotten need-based LSAC waiver?
People have

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:21 pm

superflush wrote:
thinkbig wrote:Has anyone gotten need-based LSAC waiver?
People have
+1. People have.

dubz0248

New

Post by dubz0248 » Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:03 am

I am so confused when people say I received the waiver in the mail from (school). I thought you just apply electronically through LSAC and it automatically waives it When You Apply to Law School??? Someone please explain!!! Do you have to apply individually to each school you apply to??? Thanks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”