2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker/FAQ Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lsnate

New

Re: 2009-2010 Fee Waiver Tracker Thread

Post by lsnate » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:18 pm

Don't know if this is redundant or not, but I received this email from Penn after requesting a waiver.

Dear XXXXXX:

Thank you for your message and interest in Penn Law. Merit-based fee waivers are made available automatically and require no application; you will know if you have received one once you apply. As for need-based waivers, please consult our website:

http://www.law.upenn.edu/prospective/jd ... #feewaiver

Best regards,

Penn Law Admissions

You will know you have received one once you apply? Does anyone know anything about this?

Pankun

New

Post by Pankun » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:24 pm

lsnate wrote:Don't know if this is redundant or not, but I received this email from Penn after requesting a waiver.

Dear XXXXXX:

Thank you for your message and interest in Penn Law. Merit-based fee waivers are made available automatically and require no application; you will know if you have received one once you apply. As for need-based waivers, please consult our website:

Best regards,

Penn Law Admissions

You will know you have received one once you apply? Does anyone know anything about this?
I actually called Penn last week. They said they auto-grant the merit-based fee waivers (starting mid September)... but the guy never mentioned anything about "you will know if you have received one." I guess I assumed it would be via email.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:26 pm

Pankun wrote:
lsnate wrote:Don't know if this is redundant or not, but I received this email from Penn after requesting a waiver.

Dear XXXXXX:

Best regards,

Penn Law Admissions

I actually called Penn last week. They said they auto-grant the merit-based fee waivers (starting mid September)... but the guy never mentioned anything about "you will know if you have received one." I guess I assumed it would be via email.
IIRC they send it via snail mail. They sent me a view book along with a letter last year, although absent any mention of a fee waiver.

lsnate

New

Post by lsnate » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:28 pm

It sounds like "auto-grant" may be just built into the LSAC submission process, but that they may not tell you beforehand.... it seems like a strange way of doing things.

Pankun

New

Post by Pankun » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:54 pm

lsnate wrote:It sounds like "auto-grant" may be just built into the LSAC submission process, but that they may not tell you beforehand.... it seems like a strange way of doing things.
Yeah I agree. How can someone (presumably meritable) be encouraged to apply if they don't know they have a waiver?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:10 am

old news, but i just got back from a trip abroad (no mail / email for a while) to find:

Cornell (snail mail with a viewbook)
Illonois (snail mail)
Valparaiso (email followed by snail mail)
Duke waiver and priority track (!)

also I got Notre Dame a while ago - don't know if anyone's mentioned that.

tintin

Silver

Post by tintin » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:42 am

I emailed UCLA for one and the guy said to let them know if I hadn't received one by the end of the month, when they will send them out. Hmmmm.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:19 am

Anyone know if/when GWU is planning on sending out waivers? They have harassed me more than any other school so far, including Cooley, but no whisper of a waiver. Someone needs to tell them they don't have it like that.

0L Hoping for 1

Silver

Post by 0L Hoping for 1 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:25 am

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Anyone know if/when GWU is planning on sending out waivers? They have harassed me more than any other school so far, including Cooley, but no whisper of a waiver. Someone needs to tell them they don't have it like that.

I think GW only gives out Need Based Waivers they dont do Merit Waivers. They are cheap, which means I wont apply.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RhubarbPie

Bronze

Post by RhubarbPie » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:38 am

0L Hoping for 1 wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:Anyone know if/when GWU is planning on sending out waivers? They have harassed me more than any other school so far, including Cooley, but no whisper of a waiver. Someone needs to tell them they don't have it like that.

I think GW only gives out Need Based Waivers they dont do Merit Waivers. They are cheap, which means I wont apply.

They let me know via email that they only give need-based waivers, at which point I promptly removed them from my list.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:35 pm

hykang wrote:
0L Hoping for 1 wrote:

They let me know via email that they only give need-based waivers, at which point I promptly removed them from my list.
Srsly. That is some BS.

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:41 pm

yeah i've had enough from those clowns, i got a second GWU email in my inbox, (i think) completely identical to the first. no fee waiver, just more trash about GWU being the best place in the world to study law.

natalie123

Bronze

Post by natalie123 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:21 pm

valparaiso, today in the snail mail.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ruleser

Silver

Post by ruleser » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:53 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:neskerdoo asked a very appropriate question in the "official" thread.

what's the point of the thread? either you get a fee waiver or you don't. if you do, then you'll know when you got it, if you don't then just eat the $70 app fee or don't apply.
+1

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:00 pm

ruleser wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:neskerdoo asked a very appropriate question in the "official" thread.

what's the point of the thread? either you get a fee waiver or you don't. if you do, then you'll know when you got it, if you don't then just eat the $70 app fee or don't apply.
+1
ego stroking :) But I have found it useful to see which schools grant them by request.

wired

Bronze

Post by wired » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:01 pm

ruleser wrote:

+1
I started it mainly so I could know whether or not to "make the jump" on some of my applications. For instance, I plan on applying to both Arizona schools, but I'd love to apply without worrying about whether or not I can get a refund. If I know everyone else has already received waivers, then I'll bite the bullet and apply.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:02 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
ruleser wrote:

+1
ego stroking :) But I have found it useful to see which schools grant them by request.
Yes, the bolded above .. otherwise I'd be paying UVA and a few others which I now will not have to do thanks to this thread!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

gahthelaw

Silver

Post by gahthelaw » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:19 pm

missvik218 wrote:
LSATfromNC wrote:
ruleser wrote:

+1
Yes, the bolded above .. otherwise I'd be paying UVA and a few others which I now will not have to do thanks to this thread!
it's also good to have an idea of what to expect for budgeting purposes. applying to law schools is expensive, and $70+ one way or another can really affect a budget sometimes!

RhubarbPie

Bronze

Post by RhubarbPie » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:07 pm

I got the snail mail Cornell waiver today.

I also got the viewbook and waiver from Michigan (they had already sent me a waiver via email), however on the letter there was a hand written note from Zearfoss. I was wondering if anyone else got this? I don't want to get my hopes up if it is standard :roll: . Thanks.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:08 pm

hykang wrote:I got the snail mail Cornell waiver today.

I also got the viewbook and waiver from Michigan (they had already sent me a waiver via email), however on the letter there was a hand written note from Zearfoss. I was wondering if anyone else got this? I don't want to get my hopes up if it is standard :roll: . Thanks.
I think every letter has a handwritten note.

vlurry

New

Post by vlurry » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:30 pm

I was extremely out of the loop on fee waivers and so only recently turned on my LSAC feature that said to report my info to schools, cause I haven't received a single email/mail from a law school up until now. Is it too late to be considered for waivers, since most the schools have already sent things out? Would it make sense to put in a request somehow? Please, my meager non-profit salary needs some help.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:33 pm

SamSeaborn2016 wrote:Hey everybody. I sent about 30 emails yesterday requesting fee waivers (never know unless you ask) and have already had quite a few responses. I thought I'd share with everyone. I'll update with other responses as I get them

Iowa- only grant merit based waivers only for 165 and 3.85 or above.
Alabama- Have not decided whether or not they are doing merit based this year.
U. Washington- Washington residents only
Ohio State- will be sending them by e-mail from Mid-September to October
UC Davis- LSAC waiver only
UConn- sent me forms to fill out that my computer can't open. :lol:
Kentucky- sent me a form to fill out and want a "Why Kentucky?" 250 word essay
Villanova- happily waived my fee
Baylor- happy waived my fee (it might actually be waived for all LSAC apps)
Temple- finanicial need only
Richmond- happily waived my fee
Thought I would update with the rest I got after asking:

Illinois (free for everyone this cycle I believe)
U. Georgia
U. Colorado
U. Wisconsin
Denver
Santa Clara
Penn State

I'm sure those of you with better numbers (most of you) will have no problem getting some if you ask.

babaghanouj

Bronze

Post by babaghanouj » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:58 pm

Has anyone had success snagging a waiver from chicago yet?

Diskette15

New

Post by Diskette15 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:06 pm

hykang wrote:I got the snail mail Cornell waiver today.

+1 on Michigan viewbook and waiver, very excited for that one

Lmao Zedong

Bronze

Post by Lmao Zedong » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:16 pm

babaghanouj wrote:Has anyone had success snagging a waiver from chicago yet?
i asked them about it and they told me they discontinued merit-based waivers a few years ago.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”