Western State vs Thomas Jefferson

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Western State
32%
Thomas Jefferson
68%

Total votes: 19

faustous

Postby faustous » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:54 am

Let me interrupt the snickering by stating this is a serious post. After a tough first year b/c of some personal issues I was academically disqualified from a top law school. These two schools are basically the only ones giving me a second shot. So, now that I have my sh*t together, the idea is to kick ass and transfer. The problem is that I know nothing about these schools. I realize neither school is well respected, but would one school have an advantage over the other in terms of transfer viability? I'm also a little worried since Thomas Jefferson's staff has yet to answer a single phone call in either the admissions or the financial aid department despite repeated attempts for the last 3 days. Alternatively, Western State's administration seem very nice and eager to assist me.

As I say, I'm in a tough spot and I don't want to make a choice that will unnecessarily make the road ahead even tougher. I look forward to and will respond to legitimate advice only; flamers, I'd like to preemptively take this opportunity to tell you to go f*ck yourselves.

Danteshek

Re: Western State vs Thomas Jefferson

Postby Danteshek » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:22 am

TJ is the better option. I've heard good things about the quality of student life there (i.e. better than Cal Western). Western State is a for profit school that is probably not going to receive full accreditation and may even lose provisional accreditation (already four years into second stint of provisional accreditation). Don't plan on transferring. Only select few can actually pull it off. Just because you once attended a higher ranked school doesn't mean you're any more likely to transfer to a high ranked school this time around.

Another factor: San Diego is infinitely better than Orange County in terms of quality of life.

Bankhead

Postby Bankhead » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:36 am

Considering I've actually heard of TJ, I'd say go to that one. Good luck to you, you are far more tenacious than I am.

faustous

Postby faustous » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:43 pm

I appreciate the comments. I agree Dante; I definitely don't want to place all my bets on transferring, which is another important consideration. The school I choose may in fact be the school I end up graduating from, which makes my decision all the more important.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:54 pm

Neither are top law schools. I say you go with the one that has treated you the best. You cannot even get someone from TJ on the phone, to me that sounds like a terrible way to start a 3 year relationship. I say you go with Western State.

zodiac

Postby zodiac » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:05 pm

A further note on transferring, some schools explicitly state that they do NOT accept transfers from a school unless it has FULL accreditation. I don't know how "to the letter" this is followed and I don't know which schools participate in this.

faustous

Postby faustous » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:29 pm

Good point Zodiac. I'm wondering if maybe my transferral possibilities would be limited to Cali schools only if I attend Western State. I'll look this up.

redawg

Postby redawg » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:50 pm

I live in San Diego, and TJ actually seems to place ok in the city if that helps.

faustous

Postby faustous » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:16 am

redawg wrote:I live in San Diego, and TJ actually seems to place ok in the city if that helps.

That does help red. Thanks.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:01 pm

Danteshek wrote:TJ is the better option. I've heard good things about the quality of student life there (i.e. better than Cal Western). Western State is a for profit school that is probably not going to receive full accreditation and may even lose provisional accreditation (already four years into second stint of provisional accreditation). Don't plan on transferring. Only select few can actually pull it off. Just because you once attended a higher ranked school doesn't mean you're any more likely to transfer to a high ranked school this time around.

Another factor: San Diego is infinitely better than Orange County in terms of quality of life.

Just posting as a follow up. Western State finally achieved full ABA accreditation in August 2009. See the following article in National Jurist: http://www.nationaljurist.com/content/f ... reditation

LauraCB

Postby LauraCB » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:01 pm

TJSL used to be the San Diego branch of Western State - they used to have 3 campuses (Irvine, Fullerton, and San Diego). The Irvine branch was closed and the San Diego branch changed its name to TJSL back in the 1990s.

That said, I think TJSL is the better choice. I know some faculty and some students there, and they are reputable.

twert

Postby twert » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:07 pm

Thomas Jefferson is will have a brand new building opening in the fall. its all the way down on the other side of downtown from the courthouse but is still in a pretty cool area. if that matters to you.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”