Mean LSAT by UG College Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lawyer2012

New

Re: Mean LSAT by UG College

Post by Lawyer2012 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:59 pm

dresden doll wrote: Sounds suspiciously close to my experience. My professors were pretty great, IMO, and some of my classmates were fun to hang out with but I definitely wouldn't consider them too bright. And administration was truly awful - I think that tends to be the common thread for toilet institutions in general. I despised our Dean of Students.
Wow, did we go to the same school or something? lol Great professors, cool but dim classmates, and a horribly inefficient, money-grubbing adminstration with an evil Dean.

On another note, I just don't get why people expect to take the LSAT cold and, by virtue of their self-perceived intelligence, score high enough to get into law school.

Can anyone beat my undergrad institution's lowly 55% in the 0-19th percentile? I'm curious!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:59 pm

Esc wrote:
dresden doll wrote:I was in Student Gov too and dealing with administration was an incredibly frustrating task. I gave up after the first semester of my junior year (I also founded Amnesty International campus chapter around that time, so I decided I'd rather dedicate myself to a more gratifying project.)

I totally have a personal vendetta against my Dean of Students. She made me undergo all these testings back in a day to ensure that I wasn't anorexic. I am not going to get into how it came about, but suffice it to say that I've despised her ever since.

And I won't even get into dorms Residence Life - the Assistant Director was a true bitch.
WTF :shock: Not to delve into the specifics of your personal story, but how could a school official require that? Without clear evidence of suicidal or violent tendencies, aren't school administration prohibited from pulling shit like this? Am I right to guess that they made up some "evidence" for purposes of retribution?
I was an international kid on an I-20 - in translation, school was my 'sponsor,' so to speak, so they pretty much had me at their mercy. With my parents being back home and me pretty much entirely on my own, they didn't even need to 'invent' anything - they had me cornered. Bastards.

I will never forget being threatened with my 'good academic standing' - I graduated first in class, ffs. God, I hate my UG administration.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:00 pm

Lawyer2012 wrote:
dresden doll wrote: Sounds suspiciously close to my experience. My professors were pretty great, IMO, and some of my classmates were fun to hang out with but I definitely wouldn't consider them too bright. And administration was truly awful - I think that tends to be the common thread for toilet institutions in general. I despised our Dean of Students.
Wow, did we go to the same school or something? lol Great professors, cool but dim classmates, and a horribly inefficient, money-grubbing adminstration with an evil Dean.
Ha, ha, ha, that sums it up very well.

Marko Ramius

New

Post by Marko Ramius » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:02 pm

BeastCoastHype wrote:
Marko Ramius wrote:
BeastCoastHype wrote:
Marko Ramius wrote:
RAYINER, this is a blatant slap in the face. Duke is 8th nationally, buddy. Yeah, I take exception.
Why, sir, you have insulted my honor! If I had a white glove I would slap you in the face with it and spit on your shoes! How dare you suggest that my school is ranked 12th instead of 8th! This is the lowest, most contemptible insult I have ever seen! I expect a letter of apology written in cursive, or we shall meet with pistols at dawn.
I will meet you with an enema at dawn. You will prostrate yourself on the ground. My tube will enter you. Fluid will make you feel tingly inside. You will pay $5.50 for service. I will pay for my lunch with your money.
Ha! Yes, a classically vulgar move, to be expected from a lowly Duke scoundrel. I believe that an image of General Sherman doing this to a woman from Georgia is at the center of the university's crest, as this ritual remains the cornerstone of a Duke education. Each freshman has one administered by the university president upon arrival at campus, an experience that permanently engraves the infamous "Duke sneer" upon each little face. I will have no part in such foul play, sir, as gentlemen of New York prefer the "cheap shot" precedent set by Aaron Burr with his pistols. You can learn about this hilarious tradition here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V_DsL1x1uY
Wait...wait...ah, YES, there you go. In your mouth, bitch!

You pay for my lunch; I feed you dinner. :wink:

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:04 pm

Lawyer2012 wrote:

On another note, I just don't get why people expect to take the LSAT cold and, by virtue of their self-perceived intelligence, score high enough to get into law school.

Can anyone beat my undergrad institution's lowly 55% in the 0-19th percentile? I'm curious!
I hope not, lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:07 pm

Lawyer2012 wrote:

Do you go to an HBCU? I would assume that one be your competition for most in lowest percentile.

Marko Ramius

New

Post by Marko Ramius » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:11 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
Lawyer2012 wrote:On another note, I just don't get why people expect to take the LSAT cold and, by virtue of their self-perceived intelligence, score high enough to get into law school.

Do you go to an HBCU? I would assume that one be your competition for most in lowest percentile.
--ImageRemoved--

We have arrived, bitch. You are fucked.

Lawyer2012

New

Post by Lawyer2012 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:12 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
Lawyer2012 wrote:

Nope. It's a small private college. God, I wish I went to a community college. Less money and (probably) smarter people!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:14 pm

Someone pointed out that HBCUs probably have low LSAT means. RACISM!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chief915

New

Post by chief915 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:19 pm

rayiner wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:List is from 2008, add or update and I'll change it accordingly. The mean LSAT for your UG institution can be found on your LSDAS report.

NYU 158
UCLA 158
Uva 158
WUSTL 158
U Michigan 158
Brandeis 158
St. John's College (NOT St. John's University) 158
UDallas 158
Georgia Tech 158
Vanderbilt 159
Bryn Mawr College 159
BYU 159
Colby College 159
Emory 159
Berkeley 159
Johns Hopkins 159
William & Mary 160
Cornell 161
Georgetown 161
Haverford College 161
Washington & Lee 161
Northwestern 161
Notre Dame 161
U Chicago 162
Rice 162
Claremont McKenna 162
Brown 163
Columbia 163
Dartmouth 163
Duke 163
UPenn 163
MIT 163
Man WUSTL UG is overrated.
Is not. It's VERY science-y and math-y, not very law school prep-y. Geniuses abound here at UG and at the Med School (speaking from experience). On top of that, it has a positively great atmosphere for academia - very collegial and cerebral.

Remember, their jump in law school quality occured VERY recently. I'd be willing to guess that LSAT numbers are going to trend up slightly over the next few years as a result, but that kind of thing does not and cannot happen overnight.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:23 pm

chief915 wrote: Is not. It's VERY science-y and math-y, not very law school prep-y. Geniuses abound here at UG and at the Med School (speaking from experience). On top of that, it has a positively great atmosphere for academia - very collegial and cerebral.

Remember, their jump in law school quality occured VERY recently. I'd be willing to guess that LSAT numbers are going to trend up slightly over the next few years as a result, but that kind of thing does not and cannot happen overnight.
Your first paragraph is negated by the fact that Georgia Tech and Johns Hopkins can be described similarly and have the same mean LSATs, but aren't as high in the UG rankings.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:25 pm

MIT?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:29 pm

chief915 wrote:Is not. It's VERY science-y and math-y, not very law school prep-y. Geniuses abound here at UG and at the Med School (speaking from experience). On top of that, it has a positively great atmosphere for academia - very collegial and cerebral.

I can see you making this argument with reference to Michigan or UVA, but Georgia Tech is an engineering school. The liberal arts college is the only one that offers a major that doesn't involve math, and it makes up 7% of the overall enrollment. And it doesn't have a law school.

I'm just saying that there is something bizarre about WUSTL's LSAT numbers, and I don't buy your theory.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Esc

Silver

Post by Esc » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:30 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Esc wrote:
dresden doll wrote:I was in Student Gov too and dealing with administration was an incredibly frustrating task. I gave up after the first semester of my junior year (I also founded Amnesty International campus chapter around that time, so I decided I'd rather dedicate myself to a more gratifying project.)

I totally have a personal vendetta against my Dean of Students. She made me undergo all these testings back in a day to ensure that I wasn't anorexic. I am not going to get into how it came about, but suffice it to say that I've despised her ever since.

And I won't even get into dorms Residence Life - the Assistant Director was a true bitch.
WTF :shock: Not to delve into the specifics of your personal story, but how could a school official require that? Without clear evidence of suicidal or violent tendencies, aren't school administration prohibited from pulling shit like this? Am I right to guess that they made up some "evidence" for purposes of retribution?
I was an international kid on an I-20 - in translation, school was my 'sponsor,' so to speak, so they pretty much had me at their mercy. With my parents being back home and me pretty much entirely on my own, they didn't even need to 'invent' anything - they had me cornered. Bastards.

I will never forget being threatened with my 'good academic standing' - I graduated first in class, ffs. God, I hate my UG administration.
One of the reasons I want to go to law school is so that I can become powerful and make the administration at my former UG (and the community college I attended before that) grovel at my feet, begging for mercy. Luckily I remembered not to state that on my PS.
I can't help but be sorry for all the cool professors who taught my classes. They suffer needlessly.

chief915

New

Post by chief915 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:30 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
chief915 wrote: Is not. It's VERY science-y and math-y, not very law school prep-y. Geniuses abound here at UG and at the Med School (speaking from experience). On top of that, it has a positively great atmosphere for academia - very collegial and cerebral.

Your first paragraph is negated by the fact that Georgia Tech and Johns Hopkins can be described similarly and have the same mean LSATs, but aren't as high in the UG rankings.
Avg ACT score at Georgia Tech = 28
25-75th percentiles for WUSTL = 30-33

Head and shoulders above right there.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:31 pm

chief915 wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:

Avg ACT score at Georgia Tech = 28
25-75th percentiles for WUSTL = 30-33

Head and shoulders above right there.
That's great. We're not arguing whether WUSTL should be ranked higher than Georgia Tech. We're debating whether WUSTL is overrated in the UG rankings.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:32 pm

Esc wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
Esc wrote:

One of the reasons I want to go to law school is so that I can become powerful and make the administration at my former UG (and the community college I attended before that) grovel at my feet, begging for mercy. Luckily I remembered not to state that on my PS.
I can't help but be sorry for all the cool professors who taught my classes. They suffer needlessly.
Amen to both of these points. I am really happy that 2 out of my 3 recommenders moved on up in their career and got sweet gigs at really good schools after I left. I hope the third one will be out of there soon enough as well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chief915

New

Post by chief915 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:34 pm

rayiner wrote:
chief915 wrote:Is not. It's VERY science-y and math-y, not very law school prep-y. Geniuses abound here at UG and at the Med School (speaking from experience). On top of that, it has a positively great atmosphere for academia - very collegial and cerebral.

I'm just saying that there is something bizarre about WUSTL's LSAT numbers, and I don't buy your theory.
It's only based on anecdotal evidence. Could be wrong - but there has to be some explanation for low LSATs, but extremely high scores on everything else. I don't buy that the school is simply overrated, they measure up quite well by many other objective criteria. LSAT scores seem to be an isolated anomaly.

Silver

Post by 06132010 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:36 pm

look what I've started :P .

TonyDigital

Bronze

Post by TonyDigital » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:42 pm

Lawyer2012 wrote:

35% here. When I first got my ASR from LSAC I thought something must've been wrong. Mean LSAT for my UG is 146. I thought holy crap...but this list isn't so much making me think that my school is so bad, but actually making me think it's not as bad as I thought. I'm encouraged by how well some of you guys have done coming from school's that had same overall performances as mine...

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:42 pm

rayiner wrote:
booyakasha45 wrote:List is from 2008, add or update and I'll change it accordingly. The mean LSAT for your UG institution can be found on your LSDAS report.

NYU 158
UCLA 158
Uva 158
WUSTL 158
U Michigan 158
Brandeis 158
St. John's College (NOT St. John's University) 158
UDallas 158
Georgia Tech 158
Vanderbilt 159
Bryn Mawr College 159
BYU 159
Colby College 159
Emory 159
Berkeley 159
Johns Hopkins 159
William & Mary 160
Cornell 161
Georgetown 161
Haverford College 161
Washington & Lee 161
Northwestern 161
Notre Dame 161
U Chicago 162
Rice 162
Claremont McKenna 162
Brown 163
Columbia 163
Dartmouth 163
Duke 163
UPenn 163
MIT 163
Man WUSTL UG is overrated.
In the midwest, WUSTL is known as the poor man's Northwestern. They've only risen in the rankings recently by buying high SAT scores and glossy marketing materials. Their USNWR academic reputation score still lags far behind their overall rank - it's barely in the top 25, tied with Texas/Vandy, and below Wisconsin, UNC, UVa, Rice, and CMU. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if, on average, their students have high SAT scores but are less competent than their peers at Northwestern, Chicago, and Notre Dame. A top 12 undergrad, it ain't.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

penni_rose

Bronze

Post by penni_rose » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:48 pm

I was fully prepared to argue that the mean at Texas was higher. I was so sure, but then I checked my report and sadly, no, the 156 stands.

markymark

Bronze

Post by markymark » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:56 pm

im_blue wrote:

In the midwest, WUSTL is known as the poor man's Northwestern. They've only risen in the rankings recently by buying high SAT scores and glossy marketing materials. Their USNWR academic reputation score still lags far behind their overall rank - it's barely in the top 25, tied with Texas/Vandy, and below Wisconsin, UNC, UVa, Rice, and CMU. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if, on average, their students have high SAT scores but are less competent than their peers at Northwestern, Chicago, and Notre Dame. A top 12 undergrad, it ain't.

TITCR.

Their test scores aren't even that impressive for "top 12." Hell, ND is ranked 18th and boasts better admissions stats.

WUSTL middle 50%= 30-33
ND middle 50% = 32-34

ETA: I'd attend pretty much any other school in the top 25 before attending WUSTL. Also, WUSTL's yield protecting ways are notorious amongst high school counselors.
Last edited by markymark on Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chief915

New

Post by chief915 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:59 pm

im_blue wrote:
rayiner wrote:List is from 2008, add or update and I'll change it accordingly. The mean LSAT for your UG institution can be found on your LSDAS report.

In the midwest, WUSTL is known as the poor man's Northwestern. ...
They both cost the same, both have huge endowments, and both throw a crapload of money at kids with high gpas and high scores.

fwiw I've never heard this term. Probably a term used in Chicago, but I've never once heard that having lived in MN, IA, WI, MO, and Southern Illinois.

Regardless, it doesn't make any sense considering both schools are rich, highly ranked, and very generous with scholarships.

chief915

New

Post by chief915 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:04 pm

markymark wrote:
im_blue wrote:

TITCR.

Their test scores aren't even that impressive for "top 12." Hell, ND is ranked 18th and boasts better admissions stats.

WUSTL middle 50%= 30-33
ND middle 50% = 32-34

ETA: I'd attend pretty much any other school in the top 25 before attending WUSTL. Also, WUSTL's yield protecting ways are notorious amongst high school counselors.
It really is a great place, but out of curiosity, where did you choose to attend instead?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”