How does misdemeanor reckless driving affect my apps

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
moose

How does misdemeanor reckless driving affect my apps

Postby moose » Wed May 27, 2009 2:56 pm

I got a speeding/reckless driving (20 mph over the speed limit in Virginia is automotic reckless driving) citation back in 2004, I pled guilty and was fined $200. I guess officially its a misdemeanor. Do most schools require disclosure for this,..and if so,...what impact do you think it will have.

broncos06

Re: How does misdemeanor reckless driving affect my apps

Postby broncos06 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:03 pm

Each law school application require's urine, finger print, and background checks. There is no way to hide this, they know everything and will find this. It will automatically disqualify you from almost all law schools, after all being a lawyer is one of the most honorable professions and they don't want any vagabonds getting through. You will be forced to go to Cooley and live a life of mediocrity. May god have mercy on your soul.

broncos06

Postby broncos06 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:09 pm

On a more serious note, they don't touch on that subject at all. I think they ask about any felony convictions, but that is it. You are fine.

Cleareyes

Postby Cleareyes » Wed May 27, 2009 3:12 pm

Most schools require misdemeanor disclosure. Tell the truth, be contrite, explain what you learned, it probably won't have much effect.

broncos06

Postby broncos06 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:17 pm

Cleareyes wrote:Most schools require misdemeanor disclosure. Tell the truth, be contrite, explain what you learned, it probably won't have much effect.

No, most schools phrase that issue like this:

"Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense, or is any charge pending against you for any crime other than a traffic violation?"

You get to say "no" for that one.

Cleareyes

Postby Cleareyes » Wed May 27, 2009 3:19 pm

broncos06 wrote:
Cleareyes wrote:Most schools require misdemeanor disclosure. Tell the truth, be contrite, explain what you learned, it probably won't have much effect.

"Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense, or is any charge pending against you for any crime other than a traffic violation?"

Straight from the Harvard application: Have you been convicted of a misdemeanor within the last five years?

Answer? Yes.

It depends on the school, but the majority of my applications asked about all misdemeanors.

trojans09

Postby trojans09 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:19 pm

You should disclose it and certainly mention that it was only for speeding because a lot of times this is what drunk driving gets waived down to. Clarifying will help schools not worry that booze was involved.

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Wed May 27, 2009 3:20 pm

moose wrote:I got a speeding/reckless driving (20 mph over the speed limit in Virginia is automotic reckless driving) citation back in 2004, I pled guilty and was fined $200. I guess officially its a misdemeanor. Do most schools require disclosure for this,..and if so,...what impact do you think it will have.

Virginia has some of the harshest traffic penalties in the country. My condolences.

Postby 98234872348 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:22 pm

Last edited by 98234872348 on Thu May 19, 2011 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Wed May 27, 2009 3:23 pm

mistergoft wrote:Indeed don't listen to the advice given by broncos in either instance... You almost definitely have to disclose this as most schools ask for disclosure of misdemeanors; in addition, I know some state bar applications have specific sections requiring disclosure of reckless driving (at least, I know that the CT bar application does). This conviction will not likely affect your admissions outcomes, to any extreme at least, and if it came up in your character and fitness that you did not disclose this conviction you might be in a serious quagmire...

--ImageRemoved--

Postby 98234872348 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:24 pm

Last edited by 98234872348 on Thu May 19, 2011 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Wed May 27, 2009 3:25 pm

mistergoft wrote:
broncos06 wrote:

Actually the vast majority of schools add the exception "other than a minor traffic violation" and reckless driving is not a minor traffic violation....

I'd call it a minor traffic violation. Without them expounding on what constitutes minor, I don't see how it could be held against you.

moose

Postby moose » Wed May 27, 2009 3:28 pm

Do you think I should really explain "what I learned",...I'm not sure I learned anything. I was speeding,...thats it.

Postby 98234872348 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:29 pm

Last edited by 98234872348 on Thu May 19, 2011 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bing14

Postby Bing14 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:29 pm

I think there is a lot of misunderstanding on this board about disclosure. While it is true that you have a good chance of being disqualified for intentionally hide a crime you've committed from your application, they will not even blink an eye is you honestly misunderstood the question. If they ask for misdemeanors, then disclose. If not, then don't. I don't know why everyone on this board says "disclose, disclose,..." No. That's not true at all. The same thing happened with my friend in New York State. There were about 6 little things he got tickets for etc. and only one even came up (speeding). He explained it, they didn't care.

Don't listen to the OCD people on this board. The BAR has better things to do than exclude people for speeding.

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Wed May 27, 2009 3:30 pm

mistergoft wrote:'Traffic violations are generally divided into major and minor types of violations. The most minor type are parking violations, which are not counted against a driving record, though a person can be arrested for unpaid violations. Next are the minor driving violations, including speeding and other moving violations, which usually do not require a court appearance. Then there are more serious moving violations, such as reckless driving or leaving the scene of an accident. Finally there is drunk driving, also called Driving Under the Influence (DUI), which is a classification onto itself."

source:http://www.enotes.com/everyday-law-encyclopedia/traffic-violations

Enotes. You got me there.

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Wed May 27, 2009 3:31 pm

IMO, major traffic violations would constitute things that you are arrested for which may not necessarily include reckless driving.

Postby 98234872348 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:32 pm

Last edited by 98234872348 on Thu May 19, 2011 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

broncos06

Postby broncos06 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:35 pm

mistergoft wrote:Indeed don't listen to the advice given by broncos in either instance... You almost definitely have to disclose this as most schools ask for disclosure of misdemeanors; in addition, I know some state bar applications have specific sections requiring disclosure of reckless driving (at least, I know that the CT bar application does). This conviction will not likely affect your admissions outcomes, to any extreme at least, and if it came up in your character and fitness that you did not disclose this conviction you might be in a serious quagmire...

If the application specifically says "misdemeanors", then add it. Most do not phrase it that way. Most say "Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense (other than a minor traffic violation)?"

If you really want to disclose it, go ahead. But I don't think reckless driving is beyond a "minor" traffic violation, and no one would blink an eye if you ommitted it. Either way, its a non issue. You were speeding. Nothing to explain.

Bing14 wrote:I think there is a lot of misunderstanding on this board about disclosure. While it is true that you have a good chance of being disqualified for intentionally hide a crime you've committed from your application, they will not even blink an eye is you honestly misunderstood the question. If they ask for misdemeanors, then disclose. If not, then don't. I don't know why everyone on this board says "disclose, disclose,..." No. That's not true at all. The same thing happened with my friend in New York State. There were about 6 little things he got tickets for etc. and only one even came up (speeding). He explained it, they didn't care.

Don't listen to the OCD people on this board. The BAR has better things to do than exclude people for speeding.

+1

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Wed May 27, 2009 3:35 pm

I'll grant you that if whatever jurisdiction someone happens to be in arrests motorists for reckless, then it is serious. But if you are simply cited and told to go on your way, it isn't serious.

moose

Postby moose » Wed May 27, 2009 3:37 pm

mistergoft wrote:Literally the first thing that popped up on Google...

"If you've been arrested for reckless driving in Virginia, speak to an experienced defense lawyer about your options for resolving the charges against you. Reckless driving is not a minor traffic violation. Reckless driving is a serious offense with serious consequences if you are found guilty."

source: --LinkRemoved--

Well, thats from a lawyers website,...lawyers will tell you to get counsel inorder to take a dump.

But I agree,..I don't think reckless driving is minor persay,...but at the end of the day,..all I did was speed,...unfortunately in the a state that is pretty draconian with their traffic penalties.

Tave

Postby Tave » Wed May 27, 2009 3:37 pm

LawandOrder wrote:Virginia has some of the harshest traffic penalties in the country. My condolences.

Haha. I participate on an auto-related message forum, and I remember that came up awhile ago. I believe the latest move by the State legislature--setting speeding fines higher for Virginia residents than out-of-state drivers--was recently ruled unconstitutional by the State supreme court.

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Wed May 27, 2009 3:38 pm

Tave wrote:
LawandOrder wrote:Virginia has some of the harshest traffic penalties in the country. My condolences.

Haha. I participate on an auto-related message forum, and I remember that came up awhile ago. I believe the latest move by the State legislature--setting speeding fines higher for Virginia residents than out-of-state drivers--was recently ruled unconstitutional by the State supreme court.

I'm a Maryland resident and also frequent car and motorcycle forums. I know exactly what you mean. I hate driving through VA. They make you feel like you've murdered someone just because you're going over 80 :roll:

broncos06

Postby broncos06 » Wed May 27, 2009 3:39 pm

mistergoft wrote:Literally the first thing that popped up on Google...

"If you've been arrested for reckless driving in Virginia, speak to an experienced defense lawyer about your options for resolving the charges against you. Reckless driving is not a minor traffic violation. Reckless driving is a serious offense with serious consequences if you are found guilty."

source: --LinkRemoved--

That's the law in VA, and you are quotting a page from a firm that specializing in representing for traffic violations- do you really think they are going to advertize that it is not a big deal, and therefore that you don't need their protection? He was speeding! Non-issue.

moose

Postby moose » Wed May 27, 2009 3:41 pm

Tave wrote:

They initially tried to impose those ridiculous fines on any motorist regardless of residence. Neighboring states pretty much told Va to take a hike, then the rednecks down in Richmond tried to stick only Va residents. Idiots.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”