Brooklyn Vs Hofstra Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Harryis44

Bronze

Re: Brooklyn Vs Hofstra

Post by Harryis44 » Fri May 22, 2009 2:54 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:I don't think OP is a flame.

But besides that, this is one is easy people. Thank God I got here in time.

OP, take the scholarship and go to Hofstra for a year. If you rock it out and are above that 3.25, you may even have a decent shot at a transfer up in the the Fordham neck of the woods, or higher.

If you don't meet the requirement... YOU GET THE FUCK OUT!!! Go do taxes and enjoy the money you'll make there. You can be happy knowing at least you tried and it didn't cost you squat!!

There. Now was that really so difficult people? Opera, you know I love you! RM... keepin' in reasonable! Nitsurdrx... you know I loves me some Pho.

God I'm fucking good at this shit!

Matlock OUT!
And Ladies and Gentlemen, MATLOCK has just. left. the building.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Fri May 22, 2009 2:59 pm

harryis44 wrote:

OP, take the scholarship and go to Hofstra for a year. If you rock it out and are above that 3.25, you may even have a decent shot at a transfer up in the the Fordham neck of the woods, or higher.

If you don't meet the requirement... YOU GET THE FUCK OUT!!! Go do taxes and enjoy the money you'll make there. You can be happy knowing at least you tried and it didn't cost you squat!!

There. Now was that really so difficult people? Opera, you know I love you! RM... keepin' in reasonable! Nitsurdrx... you know I loves me some Pho.

Matlock OUT!
And Ladies and Gentlemen, MATLOCK has just. left. the building.
Thank God for Matlock! We were really floundering there.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri May 22, 2009 3:19 pm

sentinal5656 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
sentinal5656 wrote:All I was really trying to say is that BLS won't ruin the OP's life. That is taking it way too far. First of all, he wants to do PT. I hope the OP plans on working to offset the costs. Maybe the employer can pay some of the tuition?

I am a 0L, so if you say there is no Midlaw, then fine. My friends in the Nyc legal market, told me there was, but I am not going to argue this too much.

If the OP, ends up in "shitlaw" or "smallLaw" or whatever, I don't think thats a horrible thing either. I guess it depends on your standards. ShitLaw folks start out around 60K and after a few years, they are makin 6 figures... whats wrong with that? better than working a hot dog stand.
HAHAHA okkk... Try startnig between 40 and 60k and making 80 after 5 years bud... get real ok.

agian, im a 0L, so i dont know for sure. I kno a real person in real life who did this, but i guess thats an anomaly too, huh?
No, but one person in real life doesnt make it the norm bro..

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri May 22, 2009 3:21 pm

Matlock OUT!

Honestly... And I mean no sarcasm at all... This is fucking brilliant advice.. TITCR and all the like.. This is your answer Op. Look no further. Well done Matlock.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri May 22, 2009 3:22 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:I think, personally, Ops career goals are way out of line with reality no matter which of these two schools Op attends... So honestly.. Either one is probably a bad choice for what you want.. So I'd look to minimize debt while making a massive mistake.. But thats just me and I lack the blind enthusiasm of a 0L, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
RM, I'm curious: How far up the food chain would he have to go to make this worthwhile, in your opinion?

OP: PM fluffy or deadatheist if you are considering Cardozo May start. They both can tell you way more than I can!

OS Im fried today.. Can you restate your question? How far up which food chain?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Fri May 22, 2009 3:26 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
sentinal5656 wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
sentinal5656 wrote:All I was really trying to say is that BLS won't ruin the OP's life. That is taking it way too far. First of all, he wants to do PT. I hope the OP plans on working to offset the costs. Maybe the employer can pay some of the tuition?

I am a 0L, so if you say there is no Midlaw, then fine. My friends in the Nyc legal market, told me there was, but I am not going to argue this too much.

If the OP, ends up in "shitlaw" or "smallLaw" or whatever, I don't think thats a horrible thing either. I guess it depends on your standards. ShitLaw folks start out around 60K and after a few years, they are makin 6 figures... whats wrong with that? better than working a hot dog stand.
HAHAHA okkk... Try startnig between 40 and 60k and making 80 after 5 years bud... get real ok.

agian, im a 0L, so i dont know for sure. I kno a real person in real life who did this, but i guess thats an anomaly too, huh?
No, but one person in real life doesnt make it the norm bro..
i know, but they said it was fairly reasonable.. oh well.

Z'Barron

New

Post by Z'Barron » Fri May 22, 2009 3:27 pm

yo111 wrote:Please Help ME!!!!!!

Brooklyn PT(Sticker) or Hofstra(30,000,based on keeping a 3.25 GPA)
My instinct says to go to "Crooklyn". That minimum gPA might be trouble, especially if the curve is extremely nasty. What is the curve like? How does the school section off 1L students? Does it put them in batches with it's highest scoring/top GPA students? Or does it go by diversity? How many 1L's tend to keep their scholarships? Is that info available? If you fall below the 3.25, can you raise your GPA and get the scholarship back? Some schools, like Tulane, allow this. What's the culture like at Hofstra, collegial or cutthroat?

Also, that transfer advice is solid. But, what if you cannot maintain the 3.25? Will you be happy at Hofstra, and with putting that name on your resume for the rest of your life?
Last edited by Z'Barron on Fri May 22, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri May 22, 2009 3:28 pm

Shitlaw pay is generally 45 to 55k... Five years out, maybe 80 to 95... Thats truth.
Last edited by reasonable_man on Fri May 22, 2009 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri May 22, 2009 3:30 pm

Z'Barron wrote:

My instinct says to go to "Crooklyn". That minimum gPA might be trouble, especially if the curve is extremely nasty. What is the curve like? How does the school section off 1L students? Does it put them in batches with it's highest scoring/top GPA students? Or does it go by diversity? How many 1L's tend to keep their scholarships? Is that info available? If you fall below the 3.25, can you raise your GPA and get the scholarship back? Some schools, like Tulane, allow this. What's the culture like at Hofstra, collegial or cutthroat?

Why would you pay 180K for the same thing? Flawed logic. You're assuming that brooklyn is better than Hofstra... Trying to judge which TTT is better is like trying to decide between KFC and Churches chicken bro... Both suck, both are low end and both will leave you wondering what the fuck you were thinking afterward..

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Fri May 22, 2009 3:52 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
Z'Barron wrote:

Why would you pay 180K for the same thing? Flawed logic. You're assuming that brooklyn is better than Hofstra... Trying to judge which TTT is better is like trying to decide between KFC and Churches chicken bro... Both suck, both are low end and both will leave you wondering what the fuck you were thinking afterward..
brooklyn and hofstra are T2 schools. why u callin them TTT? sounds like u got some personal stuff agianst these schools, lol

SteelReserve

Bronze

Post by SteelReserve » Fri May 22, 2009 4:10 pm

brooklyn and hofstra are T2 schools. why u callin them TTT? sounds like u got some personal stuff agianst these schools, lol
They are considered TTTs on these boards because of their location. Sure, their USNWR rank would be Tier 2, but because they are regional schools competing in a saturated market, their placement is the equivalent of a TTT elsewhere. Thus, Hofstra, BLS, Seton Hall, etc are TTTs, and you can argue which one of these TTTs is better than the other, but it's mostly an academic discussion with no real difference in terms of job stats.

Fordham would be the only real Tier 2 in the area.

Then you have your tier 1/golden ticket schools like Columbia/NYU

Also, in terms of just common message board speech, many people enjoy calling anything outside top 14 a TTT, or anything outside HYS a TT, or anything outside Yale a TTT.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Fri May 22, 2009 4:14 pm

SteelReserve wrote:
They are considered TTTs on these boards because of their location. Sure, their USNWR rank would be Tier 2, but because they are regional schools competing in a saturated market, their placement is the equivalent of a TTT elsewhere. Thus, Hofstra, BLS, Seton Hall, etc are TTTs, and you can argue which one of these TTTs is better than the other, but it's mostly an academic discussion with no real difference in terms of job stats.

Also, in terms of just common message board speech, many people enjoy calling anything outside top 14 a TTT, or anything outside HYS a TT, or anything outside Yale a TTT.
Fordham, tier 2? Uhh... yeah...

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri May 22, 2009 4:16 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:I think, personally, Ops career goals are way out of line with reality no matter which of these two schools Op attends... So honestly.. Either one is probably a bad choice for what you want.. So I'd look to minimize debt while making a massive mistake.. But thats just me and I lack the blind enthusiasm of a 0L, so take what I say with a grain of salt.
RM, I'm curious: How far up the food chain would he have to go to make this worthwhile, in your opinion?

OP: PM fluffy or deadatheist if you are considering Cardozo May start. They both can tell you way more than I can!

OS Im fried today.. Can you restate your question? How far up which food chain?
The rankings food chain.

People say I am taking a risk paying sticker at Fordham, but my debt will be substantially paid, between my school's LRAP and the CCRA. In addition, my opportunity cost is not great; I was a fashion merchandising major, and am unlikely to find personally meaningful employment without returning to school.

This OP is a CPA. Presumably a job at a small law firm would not be "better" than his previous employment. There are no guarantees for anyone, but I guess I am asking where the line of demarcation is. Given the OP's professional accomplishments, does he need to attend a T30 school to justify the time and expense of getting a JD?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SteelReserve

Bronze

Post by SteelReserve » Fri May 22, 2009 4:24 pm

I was just trying to illustrate for the gentleman/woman the reason some say schools like SHU, BLS, etc, are TTTs, and that it wasn't just reasonable_man being a hater on those schools.

I shouldn't have gone into so much detail, so, in regards to Fordham, I will just say that it is above the various "TTTs" in NY area as some would call them, but certainly below Columbia/NYU/Cornell. Thus, you can call it anything you want: tier awesome, tier 1, tier 2, puff the magic tier dragon, whatever.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Fri May 22, 2009 4:27 pm

SteelReserve wrote:
I was just trying to illustrate for the gentleman/woman the reason some say schools like SHU, BLS, etc, are TTTs, and that it wasn't just reasonable_man being a hater on those schools.

I shouldn't have gone into so much detail, so, in regards to Fordham, I will just say that it is above the various "TTTs" in NY area as some would call them, but certainly below Columbia/NYU/Cornell. Thus, you can call it anything you want: tier awesome, tier 1, tier 2, puff the magic tier dragon, whatever.
TITCR

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Fri May 22, 2009 4:35 pm

rayiner wrote:
yo111 wrote:I plan o going into Tax and I currently have a job as an accountant in NYC
Get your CPA.
Lawyer hater. :evil:

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri May 22, 2009 4:36 pm

dresden doll wrote:
rayiner wrote:
yo111 wrote:I plan o going into Tax and I currently have a job as an accountant in NYC
Get your CPA.
When was the last time you heard of mass layoffs in "big accounting"?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri May 22, 2009 4:45 pm

nitsudrx wrote:
SteelReserve wrote:

Those are fighting words. Seriously. (Let none doubt that OS would defend her school to the death!)

Fordham is the most loved and best defended school on TLS!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri May 22, 2009 4:50 pm

rayiner wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Get your CPA.
it happens. nothing to the extent where you would use the name of the firms as a verb synonymous with TTTdom layoffs (see Latham), but it's more frequent this year than in prior years.

Z'Barron

New

Post by Z'Barron » Fri May 22, 2009 4:54 pm

reasonable_man wrote:
Z'Barron wrote:

Flawed logic? I hardly think so. Brooklyn is a better law school. But we don't need to belabor the point. The scholarship at Hofstra, like those at some other schools (see UC Hastings), might be a trap if he's unable to keep it b/c of a nasty curve. That's how some schools get you. You think you're going to school on a full ride, until you have a year-end gpa of 2.8 b/c the school engineered it that way.

If the minimum gpa is 3.0, like it is at Tulane or Miami, and the curve is 3.0, then I'd say go for Hofstra. But 3.25 with, say, a 3.0 curve doesn't bode well for the OP. You want the curve to be as high or higher than the minimum GPA, to ensure that being in the middle of the class or above will allow you to keep the scholarship. That's why OP should dig a little deeper and find out if the gpa trap exists. If he's not able to keep the Hofstra scholarship, Brooklyn would be the better choice b/c he really hasn't gotten much more bang for his buck at Hofstra. It would be apples to apples at that point.

So, my question to you would be, "Why pay the same price for two disparately ranked schools?"

Brooklyn is better, especially if you want to be a good litigator. Not only does it train really good litigators, one can go BigLaw ($160K and the whole nine) out of Brooklaw.

For the record, both are good schools, in my mind.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri May 22, 2009 9:20 pm

SteelReserve wrote:

LULZZZZZZZZ! :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Fri May 22, 2009 9:32 pm

Z'Barron wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:
Z'Barron wrote:

Flawed logic? I hardly think so. Brooklyn is a better law school. But we don't need to belabor the point. The scholarship at Hofstra, like those at some other schools (see UC Hastings), might be a trap if he's unable to keep it b/c of a nasty curve. That's how some schools get you. You think you're going to school on a full ride, until you have a year-end gpa of 2.8 b/c the school engineered it that way.

If the minimum gpa is 3.0, like it is at Tulane or Miami, and the curve is 3.0, then I'd say go for Hofstra. But 3.25 with, say, a 3.0 curve doesn't bode well for the OP. You want the curve to be as high or higher than the minimum GPA, to ensure that being in the middle of the class or above will allow you to keep the scholarship. That's why OP should dig a little deeper and find out if the gpa trap exists. If he's not able to keep the Hofstra scholarship, Brooklyn would be the better choice b/c he really hasn't gotten much more bang for his buck at Hofstra. It would be apples to apples at that point.

So, my question to you would be, "Why pay the same price for two disparately ranked schools?"

Brooklyn is better, especially if you want to be a good litigator. Not only does it train really good litigators, one can go BigLaw ($160K and the whole nine) out of Brooklaw.

For the record, both are good schools, in my mind.

3.25 at Hofstra = top 1/3

'04 Grad

New

Post by '04 Grad » Fri May 22, 2009 9:56 pm

yo111 wrote:It is 30000 based on keeping 3.25 GPA. And i tried to get more and change the req but they were not budging
reasonable_man wrote:
yo111 wrote:Again given my options where would you GO??? Thanks for telling me how bad the law schools I got in to are. But I did not ask you about that. HOFSTRA(30,000) Brooklyn (STICKER)???

Is this 30k scholly per year at hof? If so, can you negotiate the requirement to keep the scholly without regard to class rank... If Hofstra gives you 30k a year schooly with no strings, then enjoy the three year vacation and bo ok with a job earning between 45k and 70k at graduation.. Other than that.. your options are horrible, because bls at sticker is insane and Hofstra yanks schollys like its their job.
The fact that they won't negotiate the scholarship standards should make you run away. Seriously any school that expects you to maintain a good class rank to keep your scholarship just plain sucks. It really irritates me that kids with LSAT scores above the 75th percent for a school sell their score for nothing to these crappy diploma mills. They get the benefit from your LSAT score going forward, why shouldn't you get the same guarantee?

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Fri May 22, 2009 10:26 pm

rayiner wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Get your CPA.
actually right now i know that atleast two of the big four are asking employees to take atleast part of the summer off for a reduction in pay....similar to that of skadden, etc.

i know that everyone on these forums seems to think that only the legal sector has taken a hit, but much to your amazement, others have too! especially those tied even closer to the financial sector...so maybe law isn't that bad of an option to all of you doom and gloomers

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri May 22, 2009 11:32 pm

OMG WOW!!!! Zbarron... No offense... But you are absolutely clueless... Wow.

Ok let me explain to you how the real world works... Try to follow, because I am only doing this one time...

Less than 10% of BLS'S class will get biglaw.. That is pathetic. You cannot go to bls and get biglaw if you want... You can go and prey to god you hit the top 10%... Thats very hard to do at any law school.. I say this not having read a book about it, but having graduated law school..

Brooklyn is by far the most notorious mess of a school as far as fudging their numbers.. They have used false career stats for a decade, padding them with temp attorney salaries and presenting deceptively small portions of the class as representative of actual stats..

As far as being a good litigator... This is the funniest thing you've said.... I was midling student at my ttt, however, in trial competitions, god help the kids that went against me.. CALI award in anything relating to procedure or litigation... I work at a 75 atty firm as a litigator.. you learn most of what you use as a litigator at a firm, not in school.. And much of it is learning as you go, not being taught..

Quite frankly, you are either an admissions troll from bls or a kid that was fooled by the glossy-pretty admin brochure.. Either way, your advice to the OP is downright destructive and you should discontinue it right away.. Its irresponsible..

OS... My whole thing with op is that if he wanted to be a run of the mill litigator, etc, bls or Hof are both ok.. Not the best, but def ok.. But getting biglaw or midlaw out of either, especially in a tax practice is like trapping a unicorn... Could happen, i guess, but don't count on it..

If he wants what he says he wants... Fordham is really where he should be targeting, not these schools... These schools place people in shitlaw, with the top 30 kids (not 30% top 30 people) going to biglaw etc.. Those are terrible odds..

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”