Brooklyn Vs Hofstra Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
yo111

New

Re: Brooklyn Vs Hofstra

Post by yo111 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:35 am

It is 30000 based on keeping 3.25 GPA. And i tried to get more and change the req but they were not budging
reasonable_man wrote:
yo111 wrote:Again given my options where would you GO??? Thanks for telling me how bad the law schools I got in to are. But I did not ask you about that. HOFSTRA(30,000) Brooklyn (STICKER)???

Is this 30k scholly per year at hof? If so, can you negotiate the requirement to keep the scholly without regard to class rank... If Hofstra gives you 30k a year schooly with no strings, then enjoy the three year vacation and bo ok with a job earning between 45k and 70k at graduation.. Other than that.. your options are horrible, because bls at sticker is insane and Hofstra yanks schollys like its their job.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri May 22, 2009 11:37 am

3.25 is not super easy to maintain... what are your stats?

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:39 am

All I was really trying to say is that BLS won't ruin the OP's life. That is taking it way too far. First of all, he wants to do PT. I hope the OP plans on working to offset the costs. Maybe the employer can pay some of the tuition?

I am a 0L, so if you say there is no Midlaw, then fine. My friends in the Nyc legal market, told me there was, but I am not going to argue this too much.

If the OP, ends up in "shitlaw" or "smallLaw" or whatever, I don't think thats a horrible thing either. I guess it depends on your standards. ShitLaw folks start out around 60K and after a few years, they are makin 6 figures... whats wrong with that? better than working a hot dog stand.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri May 22, 2009 11:41 am

sentinal5656 wrote:If the OP, ends up in "shitlaw" or "smallLaw" or whatever, I don't think thats a horrible thing either. I guess it depends on your standards. ShitLaw folks start out around 60K and after a few years, they are makin 6 figures... whats wrong with that? better than working a hot dog stand.
Yes, it is. It is not, however, better than being a CPA!

yo111

New

Post by yo111 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:41 am

3.66 and 160
reasonable_man wrote:3.25 is not super easy to maintain... what are your stats?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

last00

New

Post by last00 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:47 am

The curve of Hofstra is 3.14. It is easy to get a grade for keeping a scholarship in Hofstra.

thefossilcrew

New

Post by thefossilcrew » Fri May 22, 2009 11:49 am

yo111 wrote:Please Help ME!!!!!!

Brooklyn PT(Sticker) or Hofstra(30,000,based on keeping a 3.25 GPA)

2 questions:
Does your current employer offer tuition reimbursement?
How much do you have saved for school?

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri May 22, 2009 11:56 am

sentinal5656 wrote:All I was really trying to say is that BLS won't ruin the OP's life. That is taking it way too far. First of all, he wants to do PT. I hope the OP plans on working to offset the costs. Maybe the employer can pay some of the tuition?

I am a 0L, so if you say there is no Midlaw, then fine. My friends in the Nyc legal market, told me there was, but I am not going to argue this too much.

If the OP, ends up in "shitlaw" or "smallLaw" or whatever, I don't think thats a horrible thing either. I guess it depends on your standards. ShitLaw folks start out around 60K and after a few years, they are makin 6 figures... whats wrong with that? better than working a hot dog stand.
HAHAHA okkk... Try startnig between 40 and 60k and making 80 after 5 years bud... get real ok.

yo111

New

Post by yo111 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:57 am

My employer would not offer Tuition Re and I do not have any savings for Law school it would all be loans.But I line in NYC and I would be borrowing just Tuition nothing for cost of living
thefossilcrew wrote:

2 questions:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yo111

New

Post by yo111 » Fri May 22, 2009 11:58 am

So you wold say Hofstra?
last00 wrote:
The curve of Hofstra is 3.14. It is easy to get a grade for keeping a scholarship in Hofstra.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri May 22, 2009 12:01 pm

rayiner wrote:Having a CPA will help, but the big-4 firms have their pick of CPAs with T14 degrees. Why would they hire a BLS JD?
actually, big4 firms are notorious for hiring TTT grads. you hardly ever find any t14 grads, i think, because of the shit pay.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri May 22, 2009 12:02 pm

f0bolous wrote:
rayiner wrote:Having a CPA will help, but the big-4 firms have their pick of CPAs with T14 degrees. Why would they hire a BLS JD?
actually, big4 firms are notorious for hiring TTT grads. you hardly ever find any t14 grads, i think, because of the shit pay.
Really?

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri May 22, 2009 12:03 pm

and OP, how do you plan on working and taking law school classes PT? No Big4 accounting job would allow that to happen.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yo111

New

Post by yo111 » Fri May 22, 2009 12:04 pm

You know the pay isn't bad a friend of mine is make 100,000 right out of law school graned he has been there for a few years
f0bolous wrote:

yo111

New

Post by yo111 » Fri May 22, 2009 12:06 pm

Wrong again some of them actually encourage it.I know quite a few people who are in top 10 accounting firms who have worked and taken PT classes and seem to being doing quite well and they have gone to schools worse then BLS
f0bolous wrote:and OP, how do you plan on working and taking law school classes PT? No Big4 accounting job would allow that to happen.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri May 22, 2009 12:06 pm

rayiner wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
Really?
Yep...at a Big4 right now doing shit work. Actually, i guess i should clarify ttt--i meant non T25 or so. The Atlanta offices are filled with the big state school law schools (GSU, UT--not that UT, UF, UGA, FSU, Bama, etc)

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri May 22, 2009 12:07 pm

yo111 wrote:Wrong again some of them actually encourage it.I know quite a few people who are in top 10 accounting firms who have worked and taken PT classes and seem to being doing quite well and they have gone to schools worse then BLS
f0bolous wrote:and OP, how do you plan on working and taking law school classes PT? No Big4 accounting job would allow that to happen.
dood, i work in a big4. how the hell are you going to study for a full course load minus 1 class when you're working 70 hour weeks?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri May 22, 2009 12:09 pm

yo111 wrote:Wrong again some of them actually encourage it.I know quite a few people who are in top 10 accounting firms who have worked and taken PT classes and seem to being doing quite well and they have gone to schools worse then BLS
tax depts sometimes allow you to take LLM classes via distance learning. that's a far cry from taking a full course load minus 1 class at law school while balancing a full time job (with the possibility of being fired if found out)

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri May 22, 2009 12:11 pm

yo111 wrote:You know the pay isn't bad a friend of mine is make 100,000 right out of law school graned he has been there for a few years
f0bolous wrote:
starting salary is around 70K in Atlanta for tax attorneys - based on a conversation with a UT (not that UT) grad

thefossilcrew

New

Post by thefossilcrew » Fri May 22, 2009 12:13 pm

Thanks. Hofstra ftw. $90k less than BLS (assuming you keep your scholarship). You also graduate sooner (FT program).

gl

yo111 wrote:My employer would not offer Tuition Re and I do not have any savings for Law school it would all be loans.But I line in NYC and I would be borrowing just Tuition nothing for cost of living
thefossilcrew wrote:

2 questions:

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Fri May 22, 2009 12:17 pm

f0bolous wrote:
tax depts sometimes allow you to take LLM classes via distance learning. that's a far cry from taking a full course load minus 1 class at law school while balancing a full time job (with the possibility of being fired if found out)
They would fire you for being a PT law student? I mean, I can't imagine trying to balance 70 hour work weeks and law school, but would your firm really fire you for making the attempt?

I will be a part timer too, FTR.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

yo111

New

Post by yo111 » Fri May 22, 2009 12:24 pm

I would be workin PT
f0bolous wrote:
dood, i work in a big4. how the hell are you going to study for a full course load minus 1 class when you're working 70 hour weeks?

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri May 22, 2009 12:26 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
f0bolous wrote:
They would fire you for being a PT law student? I mean, I can't imagine trying to balance 70 hour work weeks and law school, but would your firm really fire you for making the attempt?

I will be a part timer too, FTR.
if they'd fire you for job hunting, why wouldn't they in this case? heading out of the office at 6pm every couple of nights a week when everyone else is working to meet deadlines would be a fireable offense. i'm already finding it difficult to study for the lsat; i couldn't imagine trying to take ls classes clandestinely.

jrock12

Bronze

Post by jrock12 » Fri May 22, 2009 12:28 pm

rayiner wrote:
sentinal5656 wrote:If the OP, ends up in "shitlaw" or "smallLaw" or whatever, I don't think thats a horrible thing either. I guess it depends on your standards. ShitLaw folks start out around 60K and after a few years, they are makin 6 figures... whats wrong with that? better than working a hot dog stand.
Yes, it is. It is not, however, better than being a CPA!
not sure where the glorification of being a CPA comes from

yo111

New

Post by yo111 » Fri May 22, 2009 12:30 pm

Once again BROOKLYN or HOFSTRA?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”