OperaSoprano & Deadatheist's Waitlist Bible Thread Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
panda

Bronze

Re: OperaSoprano: How I got off the waitlist at Fordham

Post by panda » Sun May 03, 2009 11:43 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
panda wrote:Wow...very heartfelt..and it showed..

no wonder im not getting in off any waitlists..
i think im falling in the trap of being too formal..

humph
Panda, my dear, wait three weeks from the date of your first round of LOCIs, and then prepare your second round. As long as they are polite, appeals to emotion can certainly succeed. May and June are serious waitlist months, so you will need to be ready with your best ammunition.

May your waitlist happiness exceed even mine!

OS
Thanks OS! <3 .. I think I am going to email them again in a week or so..but this time I'll definitely take a leaf out of your book...there's nothing left to lose at this point!
If it does work out..dinner in NYC on me! :D

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun May 03, 2009 11:59 am

panda wrote: Thanks OS! <3 .. I think I am going to email them again in a week or so..but this time I'll definitely take a leaf out of your book...there's nothing left to lose at this point!
Panda, my dear! Thanks so much! I was in such utter despair over this waitlist that I felt the same way. I didn't think my candor could hurt me any more than my major already had, so I went for it. Where are you WL?

OS

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Sun May 03, 2009 12:15 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
panda wrote: Thanks OS! <3 .. I think I am going to email them again in a week or so..but this time I'll definitely take a leaf out of your book...there's nothing left to lose at this point!
Panda, my dear! Thanks so much! I was in such utter despair over this waitlist that I felt the same way. I didn't think my candor could hurt me any more than my major already had, so I went for it. Where are you WL?

OS
Almighty CLS..my own personal Fordham..

it's a long shot ..i know..but.. *shrugs*

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun May 03, 2009 12:24 pm

panda wrote: Panda, my dear! Thanks so much! I was in such utter despair over this waitlist that I felt the same way. I didn't think my candor could hurt me any more than my major already had, so I went for it. Where are you WL?

OS

Not more of a long shot than Fordham was for an FIT grad! This is eminently doable. If you have the numbers for a Columbia WL, you are probably a better writer than I am. :D

panda

Bronze

Post by panda » Sun May 03, 2009 12:42 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
panda wrote: Panda, my dear! Thanks so much! I was in such utter despair over this waitlist that I felt the same way. I didn't think my candor could hurt me any more than my major already had, so I went for it. Where are you WL?

OS

Not more of a long shot than Fordham was for an FIT grad! This is eminently doable. If you have the numbers for a Columbia WL, you are probably a better writer than I am. :D
too difficult a feat to accomplish..i can't take that kinda pressure.. :shock:

i'll stick to emulating the style..and *crosses fingers* ..hope for the best..

otherwise, I'm ecstatic with my current option..so..no complaints.. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun May 03, 2009 12:48 pm

panda wrote: too difficult a feat to accomplish..i can't take that kinda pressure.. :shock:

i'll stick to emulating the style..and *crosses fingers* ..hope for the best..

otherwise, I'm ecstatic with my current option..so..no complaints.. :D
Awww, you've so got this! You'd better keep me updated on how your cycle ends! I want to know whether my methods really work, or if I just got struck by lightning this past Friday.

:mrgreen:

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sun May 03, 2009 2:36 pm

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Sun May 03, 2009 2:47 pm

YCrevolution wrote:Congrats OperaSoprano! You definitely deserved it.
You and your spreadsheet made me believe it could happen! You proved I was above the median, and gave me hope when I badly needed it. I never get tired of telling people how awesome you are. I hope you make a boatload with that thing... Enough to cover tuition at UVA!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon May 04, 2009 12:20 pm

Someone was looking for this, so I am bumping it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jrock12

Bronze

Re: OperaSoprano: How I got off the waitlist at Fordham w/ LOCIs

Post by jrock12 » Mon May 04, 2009 1:35 pm

just got back from a 5-day vacay (and 5 days off from TLS), so catching up....

wowww....congrats OS! very happy for you, and happy to have someone with that much FU Law love as a classmate next year

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon May 04, 2009 6:46 pm

jrock12 wrote:just got back from a 5-day vacay (and 5 days off from TLS), so catching up....

wowww....congrats OS! very happy for you, and happy to have someone with that much FU Law love as a classmate next year
Jrock, so happy to be your classmate... so jealous of your vacation!

bella7777

New

Post by bella7777 » Mon May 04, 2009 7:17 pm

Such excellent letters; how could they deny a marriage made in heaven?

Congrats! :D

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Mon May 04, 2009 7:37 pm

This is proof that there's such a thing as "good" stalking.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon May 04, 2009 7:42 pm

Lulz! I have been informed that if Fordham were human, it would be terrified of me! :D :D

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:51 pm

It took some digging, but I'm bumping this old thread at DA's request.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:56 pm

deadatheist

Bronze

Post by deadatheist » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:18 pm

thank you ;)

this here tag will soon become a hopefully helpful humble post with some locis, email correspondences, and other info from my lucky waitlist experience fwiw. i'm just riding the coattails of tls's waitlist darling here by adding to her already awesome thread. and if i/we find a better home for this info, i'll transplant it there instead. for now, thought this was the best idea.

stay tuned...

i just wanted to say thank you all for sticking with me through the course of this thread and my wait. and thank you too for the nice words since my shocking acceptance yesterday. i figured i'd post a little bit about my #s and cycle: not bc i'm a narcissist, but (a) some of you have asked for this anyways, and (b) this may be helpful for any future hastings waitlistees browsing tls in the time to come. i just want this thread to be of good content and quality, so i hope this is somehow a helpful contribution for in the future. and i will keep posting here until the bitter end, bc that's exactly what i planned to do with this thread.

so!

lsat 160, gpa 3.63.

yes, those are quite low for hastings. predictors had me at <25% chance of admission, or a "weak consider" at best.

no, i didn't apply leop. perhaps i should've, since objectively my numbers aren't so hot and are barely even competitive for hastings.

however, i do have softs (by which i primarily mean a decent resume with some fairly well-developed/demonstrated interests/experiences) that i think subjectively help my app out a bit more than numbers alone.

i applied in october. not ed (which i seriously should have, and i recommend - ESP if your numbers are lower or higher than the median and hastings is your 1st choice).

in march, i decided to send a pre-decision loci. conventional wisdom says that's not always a good choice, but i had updates i figured i'd provide and since it had been over 5 months, i just wanted to reaffirm my interest.

wl'd in april. mentally recharged for another long round of brutally long waiting and wondering.

sent another loci again in june after i learned (through tls - a million thanks to all of you for your updates!) they'd finally gone to the wl, in which i basically said i'd wait faithfully until the first day of classes. i'm totally open to sharing my locis upon request via pm if anyone would like to see one or both. later i may tweek some things around and post them for anyone, but right now i'll keep them private.

having sort of been on the other end of this process for my job last year, i think i realized the most important thing a waitlistee can do is (a) make a good impression, (b) demonstrate sincere interest, and (c) keep their name fresh in the adcoms' minds. i probably had... 5-6 correspondences with the admission office throughout my cycle. but i aimmed for quality, not quantity: i never firebombed their office with reminders that i was still interested, though i didn't hesitate to show that i was VERY interested at the risk of seeming desperate. i didn't care if they thought that. shoot, they should probably know that anyways and here's a little tip for anyone looking for a reason to contact the office: call to confirm receipt of anything you send a week and a 1/2 or two weeks after. but that's only if you're desperate

i also was never intimidated to ask for opinions or information. i asked tls about my chances, reached out to current students and faculty to learn as much as i could about the school, and spoke with as many people from admissions as i could. i just had to approach this process actively, otherwise, i'd always wonder "what if?" if things had turned out differently.

that may be all i can think of for now. for those following the thread right now, i can tell you i was a bit disheartened to see everyone else receiving these "wl enquiry" emails and i was left out; the last scrawny kid left standing for dodgeball teams when i did receive the email recently, it gave me some hope i still had a chance, but i figured everyone else who had received the email before me was much better off than i was. i was honestly shocked to receive a call and seat the very next day.

oh, and one last thing! there are people from last cycle who were let in mere days before orientation. that's three weeks away, and a beacon of hope for anyone loosing it right now. i'm still wishing everyone the best and good luck.

and since this is so long, i just want to say again, i swear i'm not a narcissist, i just want to share useful and detailed info

<3
since i'm sharing my thoughts here and i just sent a pm with the following that imho, could be helpful regarding how waitlistees proceed at this point towards the end of the cycle, i'll add a bit more. but please note, this is only my opinion.

at my last job i worked at a grad school, with regular student admissions and then a special application and admission process for the program i worked on... my boss was the dean, who shared thoughts and opinions with me constantly of how applicants handled their correspondences with our office. people can walk into an office to speak with an adcom, and leave having just walked their way right off a wl. i know that sounds horrible, but i don't mean to scare anyone! i just feel i learned a lot and gained this valuable insight into how all these emails we send and phone calls we make are received on the other end. and i want to share it if anyone thinks this is helpful or applicable.

i probably wouldn't drop in unannounced in person at this point, as i've learned that's not always the best route.

emails are nice bc they leave a paper trail so they can be viewed multiple times, the recipient can get to it when s/he has the time, and they're quite convenient.

phone calls put a voice to a name, convey tone, and leave a more well-rounded impression of an applicant... but alone they can also be forgotten more easily and a bit imposing if the person you're speaking with is running out, multi-tasking, whatever.

you can always email to ask if you may speak with someone on the phone about your standing or any other questions you have: i think that's a great route and one i took in my cycle when i was at an earlier crossroads.

if you're sending anything (like an loci at this point?), mail it asap, and just give them an email heads-up it's on its way and/or confirm receipt via email. don't expect the office to print your materials for you, and try not to send emails with attachments. that is of course, unless they specify otherwise.

again, this is all only my opinion. i'm only a 0l. it's not foulproof or based on years and years of experience with these things. and please, the last thing i want is to sound like i think i'm a know-it-all! other approaches will work stellar for some people too, and should be shared also.

ihth
i'll revise one of my loci's and post below, then add/edit more as i go.
Last edited by deadatheist on Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:19 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:It took some digging, but I'm bumping this old thread at DA's request.
For a second, I read DA as District Attorney and went "wow." :oops:
LOL, I hope not!

DA = deadatheist.

You are just generally awesome.

deadatheist

Bronze

Re: OperaSoprano & Deadatheist's Waitlist Bible Thread

Post by deadatheist » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:59 pm

okay, here's my 2nd loci i sent when i knew they were going to the wl merely a month ago. tweeked and redacted to the max because i want to post this asap, but still am not sure i want to be as open as my coauthor here, as many of you undoubtedly understand. but in the process of doing so, a lot of my stronger language and better writing was axed, so take this as you will. this one is pretty simple and applicable to any school/wl candidate i think, which is why i'm posting it sooner than later.

my formatting doesn't copy well, but i put this on a nice letterhead as i did with most of my other written correspondences with their office.
June 10, 2009
University of California Hastings College of Law
Office of Admissions
200 McAllister Street
San Francisco, CA 94102

Dear Director Canada and Admissions Committee,

Greetings! Thank you again for the privilege of being placed on your waitlist. If I may, I wish to share once more the fact that UC Hastings solidly remains my top choice.

This month marks my one year of service with ________________; a milestone met by my recent completion of a technical assistance memo about ________________________. Additionally, for over a year now I’ve been pursuing my research of _______________ (per my personal statement), monitoring ________________ news, reports, and keeping in contact with an international network of sources I’ve developed, as well as working with ___________ on a proposal for further research to __________.

At UC Hastings I know my demonstrated interest in learning about human rights and public service would be met in the most exciting ways. From the Tower, at CGRS or a journal office I could continue to study under-researched human rights issues around the world. And a mere gaze from the Beach or a stone’s throw from 200 McAllister I could witness and participate in even more timely and relevant civil rights issues unfolding in the nearby courts. To me it is incredible Hastings students earn a legal education in an environment with so much palpable and ongoing history, where struggles in the quest for justice wage on today as they did many, many years ago with Hastings’s own Clara Foltz, among countless others. I can’t help but claim a UC Hastings legal education to be unparalleled.

For me, Hastings is ideal because it produces lawyers by teaching real skills, not just theory. As I hope to concentrate in International (Human Rights) Law –a field unfortunately not too well known for its practical application– this makes for the best of both worlds for me. I am inspired by the strong faculty and alumni network Hastings boasts focused in this very field. It would be my privilege to be in the company of such outstanding real world examples of this excellent training Hastings provides.

Truth be told, my interest in Hastings has set the bar terribly high for all the other law schools I’ve considered. Attractive acceptances, scholarships, tours and orientations at other schools around the country have all paled in comparison to Hastings. So as these other offers remained nothing but distant seconds to Hastings, I’ve declined each one. Not to mention my family, my roots, and my plans for my future are all based here in San Francisco, so there is truly no where else I would rather attend law school. Dare I say my interest in Hastings just may be unmatched: I would love to be a fully involved member of the Hastings's community through volunteer service, club or moot court participation, scholarly publications, or simply sharing my genuine enthusiasm for the school. I’d have a vested interest in not just prospering as a student, but in making a great impact as a successful and proud alum.

I thank you once more for your consideration. Please believe me when I say I will continue to wait until the very day before classes for this opportunity! On that note, allow me to reiterate my everlasting hope for admissions to Hastings.

Thank you,

deadatheist
LSAC #
hth too? may come back and edit some more. we'll see!

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:01 pm

DA, you are so freaking awesome. PI kids FTW! Go wander up to Opera Plaza for me, and take good care of my own beloved San Francisco (second only to New York in my heart).

This is a glorious LOCI! If you would, compose a brief narrative of your adventures on the WL, and PM it to me so I can compile our article. Congrats again; no one deserves this more than you.

SAE

Silver

Post by SAE » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:47 pm

Great thread. Tag.

(hoping for the best, but being realistic)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”