The Ideal Law School Laptop

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hoffb86

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby hoffb86 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:29 pm

The law school is claiming that since they operate on a Microsoft office 2007 system school-wide. I will need to have windows on the macbook i am considering and will need to load office 2007, and anti-virus software to the windows part of the mac, and office 2008 to the mac portion.

Do you think this will get very expensive? is this stuff available in torrents?

Maryland (my school) is selling office 2008 for mac for like $100, windows XP for $70, and office 2007 (windows) for $100. My UG school (buffalo) used to sell this stuff for like 10 dollars each! WTF? :evil:

Maybe I will see if my old username at Buffalo still works and download it from them.

However, Maryland at least said that the mac will be fine for exam software.

Do you think this is a "game-changer" and that I should consider the lenovo instead? It seems basically, like ultimately, we are talking $170 dollars extra. Thoughts?

enygma

Postby enygma » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:34 pm

hoffb86 wrote:is this stuff available in torrents?

if you're wanting to pirate shit, you can do anything you want.

that aside. i really don't understand how them running office schoolwide means you have to run office on windows. it doesn't make any sense to me. are there any details you left out?

hoffb86

Postby hoffb86 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:36 pm

Sorry, this is a long post, but here is what they are saying. I thought Microsoft/Apple worked out all the compatibility problems with Office....

So, the below being taken into account? Game changer? Or, is the school just being over-careful?

Software Standards
The School of Law has standardized on Microsoft Office 2007 as its office suite product. Students are responsible for submitting assignments to instructors in file formats that are fully readable by this product. Attempting to use Microsoft Office 2003(Windows) or Microsoft Office 2008(Macintosh) may lead to document formatting problems, especially with complex documents. This is of particular concern when submitting graded work to instructors, receiving course materials from instructors, and collaborative works with other students as a part of the clinic or a journal. Windows users with Microsoft Office 2003 should be able to simply upgrade to the 2007 version offered through the campus. Macintosh users should review the next section, "Use of Apple Computers".

Students must also have active anti-virus software installed on their notebook computers. If you do not already own a product that can be installed on your new notebook computer, you may either purchase a copy of Symantec Norton Anti-Virus from campus (recommended) or use one of the free products listed in the resources section below. We do not suggest purchasing Symantec Norton Anti-Virus through a retailer because those versions are subscription based and require recurring annual fees; the corporate version of Symantec Norton Anti-Virus which is offered through The Health Sciences and Human Services Library does not expire and therefore has no annual fee associated with it.

Use of Apple Computers

Newer, Intel CPU based MacBooks are generally compatible with the School of Law's network. However, to run MS Office 2007 on your MacBook, you will need to run Windows XP in one of three ways: Apple Boot Camp, Parallels Desktop, or VMware Fusion. All three methods allow you to run a copy of Windows XP and MS Office 2007. The Health Sciences and Human Services Library sells this software at significantly reduced prices. MacBook users who run Windows XP and Office 2007 along with their Mac OS X will need anti-virus software on both the Mac operating system and the Windows operating system. Several reputable vendors offer free anti-virus products; these are acceptable for use at the School of Law and help guard against virus infection as long they remain actively running and up-to-date.

malagueno

Postby malagueno » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:23 pm

hoffb86 wrote:Sorry, this is a long post, but here is what they are saying. I thought Microsoft/Apple worked out all the compatibility problems with Office....

So, the below being taken into account? Game changer? Or, is the school just being over-careful?

Software Standards
The School of Law has standardized on Microsoft Office 2007 as its office suite product. Students are responsible for submitting assignments to instructors in file formats that are fully readable by this product. Attempting to use Microsoft Office 2003(Windows) or Microsoft Office 2008(Macintosh) may lead to document formatting problems, especially with complex documents. This is of particular concern when submitting graded work to instructors, receiving course materials from instructors, and collaborative works with other students as a part of the clinic or a journal. Windows users with Microsoft Office 2003 should be able to simply upgrade to the 2007 version offered through the campus. Macintosh users should review the next section, "Use of Apple Computers".

Students must also have active anti-virus software installed on their notebook computers. If you do not already own a product that can be installed on your new notebook computer, you may either purchase a copy of Symantec Norton Anti-Virus from campus (recommended) or use one of the free products listed in the resources section below. We do not suggest purchasing Symantec Norton Anti-Virus through a retailer because those versions are subscription based and require recurring annual fees; the corporate version of Symantec Norton Anti-Virus which is offered through The Health Sciences and Human Services Library does not expire and therefore has no annual fee associated with it.

Use of Apple Computers

Newer, Intel CPU based MacBooks are generally compatible with the School of Law's network. However, to run MS Office 2007 on your MacBook, you will need to run Windows XP in one of three ways: Apple Boot Camp, Parallels Desktop, or VMware Fusion. All three methods allow you to run a copy of Windows XP and MS Office 2007. The Health Sciences and Human Services Library sells this software at significantly reduced prices. MacBook users who run Windows XP and Office 2007 along with their Mac OS X will need anti-virus software on both the Mac operating system and the Windows operating system. Several reputable vendors offer free anti-virus products; these are acceptable for use at the School of Law and help guard against virus infection as long they remain actively running and up-to-date.

If they are really only worried about formatting issues, that shouldn't be a problem. You can save any document you create in Office 2008 for Mac in a Window's compatible version. I think they're just being overly-careful.

Connelly

Postby Connelly » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:48 pm

jadedV wrote:Still leaning towards the 15" Macbook pro... someone convience me otherwise...

Perhaps consider the fact that you will never, ever work for a law firm that provides you with a Mac. :lol:

Just kidding. Sort of. As I have no idea of your future plans. But, working in the IT department of a law firm, this is a fascinating thread. There is downward pressure from industry (i.e. law firms) to have users go the Windows/PC route. I wonder how much upward pressure waves of incoming associates over the next few years might have on law firm technology. While law firms that are concerned about profit will not give their 1,000 employees $1500 Macs instead of $300 PC's, there may be more progress in software and file format compatibility with legal applications over the next decade that would allow for more personal flexibility.

Computer marketing is fantastic. For personal users, the advertising is geared towards you, your personal preferences, and how special of a snowflake you are (and thus how well they can fit your individual lifestyle). Unfortunately, these things don't matter when you're trying to make money. Even the new Windows commercials where they give people cash to find the laptop right for them is focused on how special the end user is. There is no focus on how well the computer/OS works with business partners, courts, other students, etc.

hoffb86

Postby hoffb86 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:39 pm

malagueno wrote:If they are really only worried about formatting issues, that shouldn't be a problem. You can save any document you create in Office 2008 for Mac in a Window's compatible version. I think they're just being overly-careful.

Thanks.

This is kinda what I thought too. I imagine the formatting for office docs will be fine.

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:22 pm

malagueno wrote:If they are really only worried about formatting issues, that shouldn't be a problem. You can save any document you create in Office 2008 for Mac in a Window's compatible version. I think they're just being overly-careful.

I think so as well. Maybe you'd need to set the default save to some sort of compatability option. Which is what I need to do with Office 2007 so that people with older office 03 can read it.

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:24 pm

hoffb86 wrote:Maryland (my school) is selling office 2008 for mac for like $100, windows XP for $70, and office 2007 (windows) for $100. My UG school (buffalo) used to sell this stuff for like 10 dollars each! WTF? :evil:

Maybe I will see if my old username at Buffalo still works and download it from them.

Office 2007 is available here for all students for $60: http://www.microsoft.com/student/discou ... fault.aspx

sheltron5000

Postby sheltron5000 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:44 pm

superflush wrote:
hoffb86 wrote:Maryland (my school) is selling office 2008 for mac for like $100, windows XP for $70, and office 2007 (windows) for $100. My UG school (buffalo) used to sell this stuff for like 10 dollars each! WTF? :evil:

Office 2007 is available here for all students for $60: http://www.microsoft.com/student/discou ... fault.aspx

Again, just for everyone who's too busy(lazy) to read through the whole post, check with your school, they may offer office for less than $60 even.

hoffb86

Postby hoffb86 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:24 pm

How much hard drive space will it take to put Windows (probably XP, maybe vista, potentially 7) on my mac? (if I get it)

Just wondering if the 160gb hard drive is still enough, even if I load windows onto it.

vut

Postby vut » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:58 pm

hoffb86 wrote:How much hard drive space will it take to put Windows (probably XP, maybe vista, potentially 7) on my mac? (if I get it)

Just wondering if the 160gb hard drive is still enough, even if I load windows onto it.

An clean install of XP takes ~4GB, Vista ~8GB, and 7 ~7GB. You probably will want a few extra GB to install updates and applications. Turning off System Restore will also reduce up to 15% of the initial HD space used.

Giving your Windows partition 20-30GB should be sufficient to run basic applications like Office and Adobe products. Just remember that the OS will slow down significantly when there is only 10% of HD space left. That goes for your Leopard partition, too. So don't overload either OS.

hoffb86

Postby hoffb86 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:05 pm

vut wrote:
hoffb86 wrote:How much hard drive space will it take to put Windows (probably XP, maybe vista, potentially 7) on my mac? (if I get it)

An clean install of XP takes ~4GB, Vista ~8GB, and 7 ~7GB. You probably will want a few extra GB to install updates and applications. Turning off System Restore will also reduce up to 15% of the initial HD space used.

Giving your Windows partition 20-30GB should be sufficient to run basic applications like Office and Adobe products. Just remember that the OS will slow down significantly when there is only 10% of HD space left. That goes for your Leopard partition, too. So don't overload either OS.

Thanks.

All I plan to put on the windows partition is Office and Adobe reader. Everything else I plan to use the mac OS for.... (I will have office on that as well though).

So you say 20-30gb still needed? would 20 be fine?

I've never partitioned either a PC or a mac so I may be coming back on here to ask how to do it after I have the mac.... (or i will look it up, but the people of TLS seem pretty knowledgeable.)

So, will the 160gb hard drive be enough? the upgrade to the 250gb drive is like $50, so not terrible if it is worth it.

dbt

Postby dbt » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:13 pm

I'd pay the extra $50 now. 100 GB is always nice to have, and if you're running both OS, you'll be able to leave quite a bit of room so that each operates smoothly.

hoffb86

Postby hoffb86 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:14 pm

dbt wrote:I'd pay the extra $50 now. 100 GB is always nice to have, and if you're running both OS, you'll be able to leave quite a bit of room so that each operates smoothly.

good point, in the grand scheme, the 50 bucks is minimal, and the extra 90gb is a nice thing to have.

sentinal5656

Postby sentinal5656 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:31 pm

When are companies, mainly Lenovo, going to start offerring free Windows 7 upgrades????!?

misteranthro

Postby misteranthro » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:59 pm

sentinal5656 wrote:When are companies, mainly Lenovo, going to start offerring free Windows 7 upgrades????!?

I ordered a Dell Studio XPS 16 on June 12th, before I knew about the upgrade program. I just got off the phone with the Dell sales rep, and he told me that I will qualify already.

I was going to request a delay or cancellation on my order if I was excluded, but he assured me I will be eligible, and he made it sound like everyone who purchased a computer from May on will be eligible as well. Nothing in writing though, so he could be lying. If it turns out he is, I am getting a Mac and washing my hands of the whole PC business for good!

Also, I read that HP and Best Buy appear to be starting their programs on June 26th. Sorry, but I don't have info on Lenovo.

vut

Postby vut » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:10 pm

hoffb86 wrote:
vut wrote:

Thanks.

All I plan to put on the windows partition is Office and Adobe reader. Everything else I plan to use the mac OS for.... (I will have office on that as well though).

So you say 20-30gb still needed? would 20 be fine?

I've never partitioned either a PC or a mac so I may be coming back on here to ask how to do it after I have the mac.... (or i will look it up, but the people of TLS seem pretty knowledgeable.)

So, will the 160gb hard drive be enough? the upgrade to the 250gb drive is like $50, so not terrible if it is worth it.

If that's all you are going to install on the Windows partition, then 20GB total would be just fine.

On the Mac you can make use of a built-in tool called BootCamp. It'll let you dual boot Windows and Leopard at native speed. The whole process is relatively simple. There's an official guide here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html ... 11889.html

160GB will do if you don't have a large collection of pictures and music stored on the hard drive. If you do, either cash out the extra $50 to get the 250GB, or invest in an external HD.

hoffb86

Postby hoffb86 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:12 pm

^^ Thanks again. I appreciate the help! Mac store tomorrow to hopefully purchase this thing! Unless I can't get in the door with all those iphone shoppers there.

jadedV

Postby jadedV » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:00 pm

hoffb86 wrote:^^ Thanks again. I appreciate the help! Mac store tomorrow to hopefully purchase this thing! Unless I can't get in the door with all those iphone shoppers there.

I just went to Apple to pick up my computer, and good luck with the iphoners. There was a line, complete with two security guards, out the door. Luckily I got to fly right past them because I just needed to "pick up my computer."

Bama Law 2012

Postby Bama Law 2012 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:53 am

20GB is enough for windows partition, I went with 32 though just to be safe.

Creating the partition is easy with boot camp. The only tricky part is once you actually get windows loaded, eject the windows operating system cd and insert the MAC OS cd. That CD will install the necessary drivers for windows to run properly. Use a guide to get through it. It is easy, but if you mess up, your computer won't be able to load an operating system, which is very easy to correct, but only if you know how which is difficult without a guide or the internet (put in the OS cd and hold down on the "c" button to boot from CD - then don't reformat, but chose the correct partition to load from).

Once Windows is on there and you run the MAC OS cd, you can chose which partition to load by holding down the "option" key while your computer is booting. Also a button is installed in the bottom right hand corner of windows to restart in MAC OS.

hoffb86

Postby hoffb86 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:01 am

Bama Law 2012 wrote:20GB is enough for windows partition, I went with 32 though just to be safe.

Creating the partition is easy with boot camp. The only tricky part is once you actually get windows loaded, eject the windows operating system cd and insert the MAC OS cd. That CD will install the necessary drivers for windows to run properly. Use a guide to get through it. It is easy, but if you mess up, your computer won't be able to load an operating system, which is very easy to correct, but only if you know how which is difficult without a guide or the internet (put in the OS cd and hold down on the "c" button to boot from CD - then don't reformat, but chose the correct partition to load from).

Once Windows is on there and you run the MAC OS cd, you can chose which partition to load by holding down the "option" key while your computer is booting. Also a button is installed in the bottom right hand corner of windows to restart in MAC OS.

This does not make sense to me at all right now. But when I get windows (i'm going to try to avoid it for now and just stick with the Mac OS) i will definitely follow a guide. thanks.

Bama Law 2012

Postby Bama Law 2012 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:23 am

sorry, I was rambling

-Boot Camp makes it easy

-I'm an idiot and had a bad experience that was 100% my fault

-print and follow the guide

thefinalcut

Postby thefinalcut » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:45 am

jadedV wrote:
hoffb86 wrote:^^ Thanks again. I appreciate the help! Mac store tomorrow to hopefully purchase this thing! Unless I can't get in the door with all those iphone shoppers there.

I just went to Apple to pick up my computer, and good luck with the iphoners. There was a line, complete with two security guards, out the door. Luckily I got to fly right past them because I just needed to "pick up my computer."

Do you need to show anything at a regular mac retail store to get the student discount and the mail-in-rebate for the ipod touch?

superflush

Postby superflush » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:08 am

jadedV wrote:I just went to Apple to pick up my computer, and good luck with the iphoners. There was a line, complete with two security guards, out the door. Luckily I got to fly right past them because I just needed to "pick up my computer."

Really? Where was this? Did you go early?
Its much more mellow for this release, largely due to the fact you could get the iPhone delivered to your door today.

superflush

Postby superflush » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:09 am

thefinalcut wrote:Do you need to show anything at a regular mac retail store to get the student discount and the mail-in-rebate for the ipod touch?

I think technically yes, but, it depends. They'll hopefully just take your word for being a student.
You don't have to show anything online.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”