The Ideal Law School Laptop Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bigben

Silver

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Post by bigben » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:27 pm

matty wrote:
superflush wrote:
Probably not, this thread is full of Lenovo-haters. :wink:
FWIW, I just got my ThinkPad T400 about a week ago and I couldn't be happier. I was all set to immediately install Win7, given all the negative Vista publicity, until I messed around with it and found that I really liked it--WTF is all the complaining about? I also got the 9 cell battery and although I haven't had a chance to fully test the battery life, its safe to say you could take it to class in the morning, take it to the library after class, hibernate it when you aren't using it, and then take it home in the evening without ever having to plug it in. Pretty effin amazing.
The complaining is truly ridiculous. As the other poster mentioned, it comes from Apple fanboys, people who just don't like change, a few legit problems that existed when Vista first came out, people trying to run it on old hardware, etc. When you're basically the only show in town, you're bound to have lots of haters.

Smoyf

New

Post by Smoyf » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:31 pm

bigben wrote:
matty wrote:
superflush wrote:
FWIW, I just got my ThinkPad T400 about a week ago and I couldn't be happier. I was all set to immediately install Win7, given all the negative Vista publicity, until I messed around with it and found that I really liked it--WTF is all the complaining about? I also got the 9 cell battery and although I haven't had a chance to fully test the battery life, its safe to say you could take it to class in the morning, take it to the library after class, hibernate it when you aren't using it, and then take it home in the evening without ever having to plug it in. Pretty effin amazing.
The complaining is truly ridiculous. As the other poster mentioned, it comes from Apple fanboys, people who just don't like change, a few legit problems that existed when Vista first came out, people trying to run it on old hardware, etc. When you're basically the only show in town, you're bound to have lots of haters.
Vista is no where near the stable and efficient operating system XP is. XP went for what 7-8 years without a new release? How long after Vista came out did they (will they) release the next one? Vista consumes way too many resources and lacks the stability and ease of use of XP.

Rsrcht

Bronze

Post by Rsrcht » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:44 pm

Smoyf wrote: Vista is no where near the stable and efficient operating system XP is. XP went for what 7-8 years without a new release? How long after Vista came out did they (will they) release the next one? Vista consumes way too many resources and lacks the stability and ease of use of XP.
Vista is to XP as ME was to 98
Last edited by Rsrcht on Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smoyf

New

Post by Smoyf » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:49 pm

Rsrcht wrote: Vista is to XP as ME was to 98
QFT

vut

New

Post by vut » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:14 pm

Smoyf wrote: Vista is no where near the stable and efficient operating system XP is. XP went for what 7-8 years without a new release? How long after Vista came out did they (will they) release the next one? Vista consumes way too many resources and lacks the stability and ease of use of XP.
Not necessarily true.

I've been working in the same tech support department (I'm a Computer Science and Math major) for the past four years, and the majority of computers we fix are still running Windows XP. Vista computers do go get checked in, but no where near the flooded amount from XP.

Furthermore, you cannot compare quality based on how long before a new release comes out. Windows XP is a successor of Windows 2000 and ME, which all run on the same kernel. If you ever ran Windows 2000, you would come to the conclusion that XP is more or less a facelift and UI improvement. 2000 was released in, well, 2000; XP was released in 2001, and Vista in 2006. Some of my colleagues still prefer to run Windows 2000 because they argue that it's better than XP, even though support for it stopped a while ago. Furthermore, XP wasn't always this popular. It was plagued with problems such as privilege, security, and stability. Because of that service packs were released regularly to patch up those problems. It wasn't until SP2 that XP got it right.

Similarly, When the time came for Vista, Microsoft revamped the the decade-old kernel to focus on security and stability. They did not just worked on the user interface, but they also focused on improving things under the hood. This is an ongoing process, as evident in the introduction of Vista SP1 and development of Windows 7. Vista SP2 just came out and it's rather popular.

Vista consumes way too many resources? One word for you: prefetch. Please, you need to support your arguments with facts. Otherwise, that's trolling and flamebaitin'.
Last edited by vut on Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:18 pm

UNC2009 wrote:
disco_barred wrote:
Metternich wrote: Thanks for the info. Did you buy yours through the contractor program, or was it some sort of "closeout fire sale" type of thing?
thesealocust and I and at least one or two other people all got the X300 from here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=3444 when the price was listed as $1,099... they honored the price, but it looks like it has shot back up to almost $2K!

looks like it really was a mistake listed at that price o.0
FYI... The x300 at the above link was always a different x300 altogther. This one is a refurbed open box. The one that disco_barred and thesealocust bought was listed here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... T70-133012. I bought the $1099 one, but it is now on backorder. We'll see what happens.
I'm getting the runaround from TigerDirect. I purchased the x300 from TigerDirect on the morning on 5/29 for $1099. Received a backorder email on 5/31. Called on 6/2 to check status, they said "A shipment is coming in on Thursday; you'll be the first to get one." Called today to check on said shipment - they said, "No shipment came in and no shipment is in the system. Chances are you're not going to get one."

I'm pissed. Anyone else in this boat? I really want the x300. Any ideas?

vut

New

Post by vut » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:25 pm

Smoyf wrote:
QFT
That is entirely subjective and it makes little sense.

Rsrcht

Bronze

Post by Rsrcht » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:08 pm

vut wrote:
Smoyf wrote:
QFT
That is entirely subjective and it makes little sense.
Truth can be subjective, and sense has nothing to do with it.

misteranthro

New

Post by misteranthro » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:27 pm

Does anyone know if there is any merit to the claim that memory upgrades purchased in pairs work better than adding a single memory chip? My new Latitude E6400 came standard with 2GB (1 DIMM), and I was only planning on buying one second aftermarket chip until I saw this. Also, any brand preferences- OCZ, Kingston, Crucial, etc.?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:37 pm

misteranthro wrote:Does anyone know if there is any merit to the claim that memory upgrades purchased in pairs work better than adding a single memory chip? My new Latitude E6400 came standard with 2GB (1 DIMM), and I was only planning on buying one second aftermarket chip until I saw this. Also, any brand preferences- OCZ, Kingston, Crucial, etc.?
I think it is slightly better, bought I doubt you'll notice it. So, you want to get another ?GB ???

cake

New

Post by cake » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:38 pm

You don't need to buy in pairs and it's hard to be Crucial for quality/price.

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:42 pm

2 dimms are theoretically faster, although not much more so in practice. Additionally, it's cheaper. Definitely go with Crucial. I'll probably have to upgrade a macbook if I buy it through a school from 2 to 4 gigs and after a little research I'm definitely going with them.

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs. ... 5664BC1067

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:53 pm

Last edited by dood on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

misteranthro

New

Post by misteranthro » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:20 pm

Thanks all! I do have Vista Business Service Pack 1, which is 32-Bit application. I guess a 1GB upgrade is all the system can use, but I am wondering...will it make any difference to get it? I plan on upgrading to Windows 7 in the fall, and could just wait to add memory until I need it for that.

misteranthro

New

Post by misteranthro » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:37 pm

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet in this forum, but Microsoft is offering a really good deal on MS Office 2007 Ultimate Edition to students.

The price is $59.99 + tax, which is MUCH less than having even the Student version preloaded on your computer. It is a full legal version and you have the option to either download it from the site or pay an additional $13.00 for a backup DVD. I got the back-up disk and the final price was $74.02 shipped.

If interested, just follow this link and click on Ultimate Steal.
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suite ... 21033.aspx

The process is fairly simple, but you have to have a valid *.edu e-mail address from your school to qualify. They send a confirmation with password after you enter it, but it takes up to an hour so don't worry if it doesn't show up right away.

I know many people can get access to a bootleg copy, but it seems like a fair deal to me.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:49 pm

Yea, this has been mentioned. The backup disc is a good way to go in case you need to install it on a different computer later.

FL135

New

Post by FL135 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:07 pm

Is there a limit to the number of computers that you can download this students edition of microsoft office ultimate. I need it for 3. (I wont have three computers with me at law school)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:22 pm

FL135 wrote:Is there a limit to the number of computers that you can download this students edition of microsoft office ultimate. I need it for 3. (I wont have three computers with me at law school)
I am not sure about the download. I feel like the license is only for 1, but I would check the terms.
I can tell you this though, I downloaded it from them for my old laptop and I also ordered the backup disc (at the time I had to order it separate, it wasn't very seemless). I had to email them just in order to get my activation key for the office that I downloaded. The gave my the activation key in an email. This was almost 2 years ago. Just yesterday, I used the backup disc for the first time to install Office on my netbook with the same activation key. It worked (and perhaps I even could have downloaded Office and used the same key).

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:53 pm

UNC2009 wrote:
I'm getting the runaround from TigerDirect. I purchased the x300 from TigerDirect on the morning on 5/29 for $1099. Received a backorder email on 5/31. Called on 6/2 to check status, they said "A shipment is coming in on Thursday; you'll be the first to get one." Called today to check on said shipment - they said, "No shipment came in and no shipment is in the system. Chances are you're not going to get one."

I'm officially OVER TigerDirect.com. They suck! HOWEVER, I do have good news for those who still want the X300. I just purchased mine on eBay from Buy.com (actually, it's from Buy.com's ebay listings). They have 14 left! Check it out here:

--LinkRemoved--

I purchased it for $1257, but I received $100 cashback through Microsoft's Cash Back Program (more info at Bing.com), plus an additional $25 in eBay bucks to spend on eBay. Plus, it comes with a three-year Lenovo parts and labor "depot" warranty. For the TigerDirect x300, I paid $1,376 which included sales tax and an additional 2 year warranty on top of the 1 year Lenovo warranty. On ebay, I got the same laptop for $1,257 minus $100 Microsoft Cashback minus $25 in eBay bucks, for a net cost of $1,133.

So thanks TigerDirect, I got a better deal from Buy.com!

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:03 pm

Hmm... there's an Acer Aspire One (10.1 in) on sale for $165 next week. I think it might be too good to be true.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... e%20AOD150

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:18 pm

lex talionis wrote:Hmm... there's an Acer Aspire One (10.1 in) on sale for $165 next week. I think it might be too good to be true.

Beware of TigerDirect. They suck! They put on a good sale on an item (see discussion above on Lenovo x300), but only have a couple of them. They take your money, tell you it's on backorder, and keep it until YOU CALL THEM to get your money back. That's my $.02!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:21 pm

UNC2009 wrote:
lex talionis wrote:Hmm... there's an Acer Aspire One (10.1 in) on sale for $165 next week. I think it might be too good to be true.

Beware of TigerDirect. They suck! They put on a good sale on an item (see discussion above on Lenovo x300), but only have a couple of them. They take your money, tell you it's on backorder, and keep it until YOU CALL THEM to get your money back. That's my $.02!
Well, the sale isn't from exactly from tigerdirect (though that is from whom I have to purchase it), and I already know the sale only applies to a very limited quantity.

djshack

New

Post by djshack » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:22 pm

matty wrote:
superflush wrote:
As someone who went from Windows XP to Mac (for five years) to Windows Vista (on the new T400), I'm with you. It's not bad, and I definitely prefer it to XP. I agree with what others have said about people expecting to run Vista on systems that couldn't handle it.

Also, FWIW, while I don't mind Vista, I did mess around with the Windows 7 RC for a few days, and it runs like lightning and kicks the crap out of Vista on my computer (of course, I have 4 GB RAM and 32-bit Vista, but tried 64-bit 7, which alone will make a difference).

Gold

Post by 270910 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:54 pm

UNC2009 wrote:
UNC2009 wrote:

I'm officially OVER TigerDirect.com. They suck! HOWEVER, I do have good news for those who still want the X300. I just purchased mine on eBay from Buy.com (actually, it's from Buy.com's ebay listings). They have 14 left! Check it out here:

--LinkRemoved--

I purchased it for $1257, but I received $100 cashback through Microsoft's Cash Back Program (more info at Bing.com), plus an additional $25 in eBay bucks to spend on eBay. Plus, it comes with a three-year Lenovo parts and labor "depot" warranty. For the TigerDirect x300, I paid $1,376 which included sales tax and an additional 2 year warranty on top of the 1 year Lenovo warranty. On ebay, I got the same laptop for $1,257 minus $100 Microsoft Cashback minus $25 in eBay bucks, for a net cost of $1,133.

So thanks TigerDirect, I got a better deal from Buy.com!
heh... while you got a good deal, Tiger Direct's actually won out in the end. i got mine shipped for $1,029 after ebay cashback - ran the serials and it came with the, 3 year depot warranty, came with the SLC SSD instead of the MLC, 2gb ram in one dim so it was an easy upgrade to 4.

i'd have paid $1,133 for it in a new york minute though!

that being said, it looks like it was just luck that i got the laptop while others got the run around... sorry to hear it guys...

TLS007

New

Post by TLS007 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:13 pm

For those who are looking to buy a computer from TigerDirect.com, there is 15% cashback via Bing.com (formerly Live.com from Microsoft). Not sure how long it will last. I'd recommend creating a cashback account and logging on prior to following the instructions below.

Go to: http://www.bing.com
Search Tigerdirect.com
Click the bing cashback link, it's highlighted up top in tan as a "sponsored site" (Make sure you have any ad blockers turned off!)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”