The Ideal Law School Laptop

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RVP11

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby RVP11 » Sun May 31, 2009 11:01 pm

I know close to nothing about laptops but just received a new HP Pavilion DV7 as a gift. Is this a decent laptop? Will it last me 3 years?

UNC2009

Postby UNC2009 » Sun May 31, 2009 11:14 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:I know close to nothing about laptops but just received a new HP Pavilion DV7 as a gift. Is this a decent laptop? Will it last me 3 years?

FWIW, I bought an HP Pavilion zd7000 five years ago and it's still working.

superflush

Postby superflush » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:12 am

JSUVA2012 wrote:I know close to nothing about laptops but just received a new HP Pavilion DV7 as a gift. Is this a decent laptop? Will it last me 3 years?

You got the same laptop as Lauren :!: I only really know thats its a 17'' laptop that has the resolution of a 15'' laptop.

superflush

Postby superflush » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:15 am

Oh, and about the 3 years, probably. Just take all the crapware off, and you may need to reformat the whole notebook every 1 or 2 years for it to run well.

Metternich

Postby Metternich » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:21 am

For those of you who decided (or are planning) to go with the T400, what made this model more attractive than the X200. The latter is a full 2lbs lighter with comparable batteries, comes standard with a "better" processor (for what that's worth), is smaller, slightly thinner, and (at least according to the few reviews I've seen) is of marginally better construction. All of that (and maybe more that I don't even know about) for around $300 with equivalent options. Was price the primary consideration here, screen size, what?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:57 am

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Metternich

Postby Metternich » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:42 am

thesealocust wrote:
Metternich wrote:For those of you who decided (or are planning) to go with the T400, what made this model more attractive than the X200. The latter is a full 2lbs lighter with comparable batteries, comes standard with a "better" processor (for what that's worth), is smaller, slightly thinner, and (at least according to the few reviews I've seen) is of marginally better construction. All of that (and maybe more that I don't even know about) for around $300 with equivalent options. Was price the primary consideration here, screen size, what?

I strongly considered the X200, X200s, X300 (old model so price is still in line w/ the others) and T400.

The big downside of the X200 is no CD or DVD drive - which means if you ever need to use one, it adds a lot to the cost (either a $200 dock or a $60+ external drive). The T400 is also more customizable - even if you rarely use the DVD drive, you can replace it with either a battery or an extra hard drive.

The X200s has an amazingly high resolution screen for its size, but that comes at a price ($$$ and DPI).

For some people, a 5-6lb laptop is no big deal, so the sacrifices you have to make for the X200(s) are just too much.

Me personally, I couldn't decide, so I bought an X300 - got it for $1,030 shipped with a 3 year warranty. Just over 3 pounds, 4 hours of battery life, DVD burner comes standard, 13.3" 1440 x 900 screen. Couldn't be happier.

Thanks for the info. Did you buy yours through the contractor program, or was it some sort of "closeout fire sale" type of thing?

It's true that the X200 doesn't have a CD drive, but I've got a desktop, so if I need to transfer something from a disc, I'm thinking that the hassle of burning it to the desktop and transferring it to the laptop via a flashdrive might be worth the weight savings. I don't want to make a big deal over two pounds, but at the end of the day, two pounds is two pounds; and as a laptop will (unfortunately) be my constant companion for the next three years, that's not insignificant. I also tend to think that the CD drive on laptops will, in the not too distant future, become a thing of the past, in much the same way as the floppy disk drives of old. At that point, if you don't convert to more hard drive space or battery capacity, you really are just lugging weight around unnecessarily. The T400, its clunkiness notwithstanding, seems great; the X301 seems best, but is more than I want to spend on a god damned computer. For my needs, -- portability and reliability in a discreet, svelte appearence -- the X200 seems like a great compromise.

Postby 270910 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:36 pm

Metternich wrote:Thanks for the info. Did you buy yours through the contractor program, or was it some sort of "closeout fire sale" type of thing?

thesealocust and I and at least one or two other people all got the X300 from here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=3444 when the price was listed as $1,099... they honored the price, but it looks like it has shot back up to almost $2K!

looks like it really was a mistake listed at that price o.0

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:42 pm

So my HP Pavilion DV7 weighs like 7 pounds. :shock:

tome

Postby tome » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:50 pm

The X200s is a sweet laptop, for sure. I use the DVD drive on my laptop about twice a year, so that doesn't bother me. What gets me about the X200s (and X200, for that matter) is no touchpad. If you are a nipple sort of a guy, that would not be a hassle, but I am not sure if I could be bothered getting used to it.

dmreust

Postby dmreust » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:28 pm

Is anyone else considering this new Dell Studio 14z? I've basically come down to deciding between that and the lenovo T400. I really like everything about the T400 aside from the looks. The promotion going on right now is flat out fantastic too!

UNC2009

Postby UNC2009 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:31 pm

disco_barred wrote:
Metternich wrote:Thanks for the info. Did you buy yours through the contractor program, or was it some sort of "closeout fire sale" type of thing?

thesealocust and I and at least one or two other people all got the X300 from here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=3444 when the price was listed as $1,099... they honored the price, but it looks like it has shot back up to almost $2K!

looks like it really was a mistake listed at that price o.0

FYI... The x300 at the above link was always a different x300 altogther. This one is a refurbed open box. The one that disco_barred and thesealocust bought was listed here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... T70-133012. I bought the $1099 one, but it is now on backorder. We'll see what happens.

hoffb86

Postby hoffb86 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:00 pm

Where does one get after-market RAM for a mac? I've been told that buying the extra ram as an upgrade initially from mac online is a waste of money. So, how do I go about upgrading it after purchase?

(PS - i haven't decided if I'm getting a mac or PC, just starting to explore options.)

superflush

Postby superflush » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:07 pm

hoffb86 wrote:Where does one get after-market RAM for a mac? I've been told that buying the extra ram as an upgrade initially from mac online is a waste of money. So, how do I go about upgrading it after purchase?

(PS - i haven't decided if I'm getting a mac or PC, just starting to explore options.)

It depends if you're down with installing it yourself, otherwise it might be worth it to do it through Apple, especially with the education discount.

superflush

Postby superflush » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:08 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:So my HP Pavilion DV7 weighs like 7 pounds. :shock:

Yea, at least.

superflush

Postby superflush » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:11 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:Maybe it's because I am a chick, btu I dunno about these massively heavy laptops. I carry my MacBook to and from my office every day. I have a 15 min walk to my car, and even that is a pain. I can't imagine carrying something heavier for longer, and in conjuction with books/binders/other supplies. FWIW, I got a netbook for note taking.

Lol, I don't think its solely a female thing to see the benefit in a lighter laptop. After all, a lot of guys have either netbooks or ultraportables. My older laptop was 2.7 pounds and 0.8 in thick. My new netbook is 2.8 pounds and 1.2 in thick. There is definitely an advantage to having a compact notebook. Although, I imagine I'll get either a MacBook or MacBook Pro for the start of law school, they are heavier than what I'm used to carrying. It'd be really great if I could get the MBP specs at a weight around that or the MacBook Air.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:14 pm

If I'm a somewhat bigger/stronger guy, should 7 pounds even be a problem? I don't get it...I picked it up and it felt like any other laptop, but then I got on the scale and checked the difference.

superflush

Postby superflush » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:22 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:If I'm a somewhat bigger/stronger guy, should 7 pounds even be a problem? I don't get it...I picked it up and it felt like any other laptop, but then I got on the scale and checked the difference.

I wouldn't want to carry a 7lb laptop. But see if you find it okay.

HugerThanSoup

Postby HugerThanSoup » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:28 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:If I'm a somewhat bigger/stronger guy, should 7 pounds even be a problem? I don't get it...I picked it up and it felt like any other laptop, but then I got on the scale and checked the difference.

As a "somewhat bigger/stronger guy," I can tell you that carrying around a 7 pound laptop all day can be a pain in the ass. I have a macbook pro that I used to take to class and that was about as much as I'd want to carry. I'm looking forward to the new Dell Mini 12" I'm planning on picking up in a month or so.

roguebear

Postby roguebear » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:51 pm

Throughout ug i had a 4.5 lb laptop. It was a standard (non wide) 14.9in screen. That was i think about the top end of what i would go. The large wide screen behemoths (15.4+ in) just are a pain. 4.5 is noticable weight, but really not too bad.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:23 pm

I figure my 17" screen will help hide me from scary cold-callers.

superflush

Postby superflush » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:54 pm

they have notebook mice that are smaller. I use Logitech Notebook Laser Mouse. It's not
Bluetooth, just has a small usb dongle

vut

Postby vut » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:57 pm

My current 17-inch laptop weighs 8.6 pounds, and that's the main reason why I am getting a second smaller laptop (14.1 inch). I've been carrying that thing around for a year and it's a pain in the butt. I pick it up and it doesn't feel like much either, but the weight adds up if you consider other things in your bag.

JoBo

Postby JoBo » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:03 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:Can anyone help out with a bluetooth keyboard/mouse? Outside of logitech, I don't know what to get. The mouse that comes with the logitech keyboard/mouse set is too big for my hands.

You might want to check out the MoGo Mouse from Newton Peripherals at --LinkRemoved--. It's a small and comfortable mouse that slips right into your laptop PC card slot to charge and "hide."

I had one last year when I was traveling a lot for work and absolutely loved it. I'd still be using it, but now I bought a netbook and my fiance stole it for her laptop. :(

superflush

Postby superflush » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:10 pm

That's pretty crazy looking. But I'm guessing her netbook doesn't have that slot, and MacBooks don't either, right?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”