The Ideal Law School Laptop

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
burvowski

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby burvowski » Fri May 28, 2010 12:15 pm

Jesus, guys, buy some velcro gloves or something. I don't think I've ever dropped a laptop once in the my 22 years on this planet.

superflush

Postby superflush » Fri May 28, 2010 11:27 pm

wakefield wrote:That being said...should I be worried about taking exams on my mac using Bootcamp? Has anyone run into problems doing this?

Just find out what the deal is at your school.

wakefield

Postby wakefield » Sat May 29, 2010 12:02 am

superflush wrote:
wakefield wrote:That being said...should I be worried about taking exams on my mac using Bootcamp? Has anyone run into problems doing this?

Just find out what the deal is at your school.

I'll be able to use bootcamp to take exams on windows (using examsoft). I've just never needed to run bootcamp before, so I guess I'm nervous about potential glitches.

goblue1646

Postby goblue1646 » Sat May 29, 2010 2:14 am

superflush wrote:
goblue1646 wrote:Is the only difference between the 13inch Macbook Pro and the normal Macbook the aluminum cover? Is there really no other difference? Because I love how the MBP looks, but is it worth an extra 200 bucks?!?!?!

Yes. Never question whether it's worth it.
You should really up it to 15, get the matte screen, and an SSD.
Btw, Cram & Jam has officially started.

i WISH. that would take me up to about $2000, and i'm pretty much a homeless person as it is.

thanks for the advice guys, i'll get the aluminum for sure. :)

superflush

Postby superflush » Sat May 29, 2010 4:08 am

goblue1646 wrote:i WISH. that would take me up to about $2000, and i'm pretty much a homeless person as it is.

thanks for the advice guys, i'll get the aluminum for sure. :)

Here's the Cram & Jam link: http://www.apple.com/campusoffer/

findbosco

Postby findbosco » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:54 pm

I've read through 8 pages of the fine comments and considerations on here - thank you kindly to the contributors - but am still unsure as to what to purchase [paralysis through analysis]. I've read with interest the recommendations for Lenovo's and am wondering if that extends to their bargain computers as well, such as the one listed below:

Intel Pentium Processor T4400 ( 2.20GHz 800MHz 1MB )
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 32
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M
3 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz
14.0" WXGA LED Backlight TFT 1366x768
Industry Standard Touchpad
250GB 5400
DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
6 Cell Lithium-Ion
Broadcom 11b/g Wi-Fi wireless
One year parts and labor (system battery: one year)
2Yr Basic Limited Warranty Extension

All this for $498.97.

My Mom has a Lenovo, which has been nothing but problems [granted, it was a refurb deal, R61e, from Tiger Direct].

I've also considered the Macs, but at $950, that's out of my price range [anyone know if rumors of a July $100 edu deal are to be believed?].

Words of wisdom for the poor of pocket?

EDIT: Just read the latest post by superflush - looks like Mac is only running a $50 discount this year.

EDIT2: For those who haven't discovered the Lenovo 'Family & Friends' discount, details follow:
http://www.lenovo.com/contractor

Supposedly you'll need the code above but likely just at checkout, as I personalized [but did not purchase] and did not need the code.

superflush

Postby superflush » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:49 am

findbosco wrote:I've also considered the Macs, but at $950, that's out of my price range [anyone know if rumors of a July $100 edu deal are to be believed?].

Words of wisdom for the poor of pocket?

EDIT: Just read the latest post by superflush - looks like Mac is only running a $50 discount this year.

This discount for Mac is depending on the cost of the computer to begin with. - http://www.apple.com/campusoffer/
I got $200 off of mine. The cheapest MacBook would be $950 after the education discount. You would also get a $200 rebate for an iPod and a $100 rebate for a printer.

juevonate

Postby juevonate » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:58 pm

Good thread.

yinz

Postby yinz » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:43 pm

juevonate wrote:Good thread.

Old thread.

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:15 pm

when u get your laptop try this:

https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTI5MDcwNDg5

angiej

Postby angiej » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:36 pm

I have a 3 year old HP that I love dearly and has been very reliable. By the time I enter law school it will be 4 years old. Is this a recipe for disaster? Can I just have it checked out and "tuned up" or is it wise to buy new before entering law school?

superflush

Postby superflush » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:22 pm

angiej wrote:I have a 3 year old HP that I love dearly and has been very reliable. By the time I enter law school it will be 4 years old. Is this a recipe for disaster? Can I just have it checked out and "tuned up" or is it wise to buy new before entering law school?

Get a MacBook Pro.

superflush

Postby superflush » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:22 pm

[edit]: posted the same things twice.
Last edited by superflush on Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snoopy1216

Postby Snoopy1216 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:28 pm

I just bought a Mac and Parallels. Before I open/install it, has anyone had any experience with it? How necessary do you guys think it is?

angiej

Postby angiej » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:43 pm

superflush wrote:
angiej wrote:I have a 3 year old HP that I love dearly and has been very reliable. By the time I enter law school it will be 4 years old. Is this a recipe for disaster? Can I just have it checked out and "tuned up" or is it wise to buy new before entering law school?

Get a MacBook Pro.

But what about all of the law school incompatability issues? Are they really solved with bootcamp?

yoitsmebenny

Postby yoitsmebenny » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:52 pm

angiej wrote:
superflush wrote:

Get a MacBook Pro.

But what about all of the law school incompatability issues? Are they really solved with bootcamp?

With Boot Camp, it is virtually indistinguishable from a "standard" PC. There should be absolutely no compatibility issues.

angiej

Postby angiej » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:54 pm

yoitsmebenny wrote:
angiej wrote:
superflush wrote:

Get a MacBook Pro.

With Boot Camp, it is virtually indistinguishable from a "standard" PC. There should be absolutely no compatibility issues.

And what about memory space? Doesn't it take up enough to slow things down?

yoitsmebenny

Postby yoitsmebenny » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:50 pm

angiej wrote:
yoitsmebenny wrote:
angiej wrote:
superflush wrote:
Get a MacBook Pro.

And what about memory space? Doesn't it take up enough to slow things down?

Boot Camp runs Windows natively, so you are using the full system resources to run it (meaning it isn't virtualized and you aren't running OS X in the background). All of the MBPs have more than enough system memory to handle XP and even 7.

superflush

Postby superflush » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:32 pm

angiej wrote:And what about memory space? Doesn't it take up enough to slow things down?

Yes, it will essentially ruin the computer so it won't run properly.
No, are you kidding. You'll be fine.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:38 pm

superflush wrote:
angiej wrote:And what about memory space? Doesn't it take up enough to slow things down?

What is the difference between boot camp and parrallels? Is it the same thing or do you need one or the other OR both?

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:00 am

Mr. Matlock wrote:What is the difference between boot camp and parrallels? Is it the same thing or do you need one or the other OR both?

Boot Camp just lets you dual-boot with Windows.
Parallels (or VMware Fusion) is for virtualization. You don't need Parallels or VMware unless you want to virtualize.

yoitsmebenny

Postby yoitsmebenny » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:35 am

Mr. Matlock wrote:
superflush wrote:

What is the difference between boot camp and parrallels? Is it the same thing or do you need one or the other OR both?

Boot camp runs Windows natively on the computer. Parallels runs a "virtualized" Windows from within the OS X operating sytem.

wakefield

Postby wakefield » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:02 am

Mr. Matlock wrote:
superflush wrote:

to use examsoft, you'll definitely need bootcamp. your schools website should tell you whats ok/what exam software they use.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:11 am

Snoopy1216 wrote:I just bought a Mac and Parallels. Before I open/install it, has anyone had any experience with it? How necessary do you guys think it is?

I have it installed on my machine and use it from time to time. I use it with Windows 7, and have no complaints. Everything runs smoothly, and it offers a good number of different 'views' that are convenient for different things.

Also, I would like to point out that while everyone is advising using bootcamp/parallels/vmware, one should first check with your school. It may be the case that their exam software is compatible with Mac OS X. Or, it could be the case that there is no exam software at all. At U of C for instance, you just compose the exam in your word processing program of choice, and then email it to turn it in. If you have no software, then you have no software compatibility issues. Everyone's situation will be different.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:07 am

Today over on the Targus website you can use the coupon code "Woot30" to save 30% on all bags and accessories. Seems like a pretty good deal. Just thought I'd share. Oh, and you can get a brand new Kindle 2 for $150 today on Woot! ...I love Woot. :D

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”