The Ideal Law School Laptop

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
356a
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby 356a » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:17 pm

tinman wrote:
1000bmr wrote:
tinman wrote:Here is what I'm planning on getting during my pre-1L computer-shopping spree:

1. A Macbook Air that I leave at the law school (I don't care how light my computer is, I don't want to carry it back and forth from home to class; I'm willing to waste an extra grand to save some back pain).
2. A Macbook Pro that I leave at home
3. SugarSync (as a ghost drive and to keep the two computers in sync)

What do you all think of this set up? Any advice on whether to get a SSD for either computer? Should I go with the 13 inch MBP to match the size of the Air?


basically the most enormous waste of money i've ever seen. $800 laptop + $700 desktop + $20 flash drive = BETTER performance than that. macbook air has laughably bad specs and some silly inconveniences (can't change your own battery, you have to send it in). you can save yourself $2,500, have fewer complications (like compatibility) if you don't get sucked in by the cutesy commercials and white plastic.


I'm set on getting two Mac laptops. I realize it's not the most economical choice, but it is my decision. In that case, do you think it's worth getting two Macbook Pros rather than one Pro and one Air? I like the idea of having an Air for taking notes in class. I'm using a PC netbook right now, and I like the lightness, but I prefer Macs and the Air seems like fun. Is the Air really such a bad computer?


It is a good combo. I think I would carry the MBA around - the thing is that light and unobtrusive.

A MBP at home is a good thing, might want the 15" for screen size though. but if you are not going to move it around at all, a 24" iMac would be best, in my mind.

Check out the program dropbox for synching files too.

Personally though I like just keeping everything on one machine, and having one to take to the coffee shop.

the battery life on the MBP is pretty amazing btw.

User avatar
tinman
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby tinman » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:04 pm

356a wrote:
tinman wrote:
1000bmr wrote:
tinman wrote:Here is what I'm planning on getting during my pre-1L computer-shopping spree:

1. A Macbook Air that I leave at the law school (I don't care how light my computer is, I don't want to carry it back and forth from home to class; I'm willing to waste an extra grand to save some back pain).
2. A Macbook Pro that I leave at home
3. SugarSync (as a ghost drive and to keep the two computers in sync)

What do you all think of this set up? Any advice on whether to get a SSD for either computer? Should I go with the 13 inch MBP to match the size of the Air?


basically the most enormous waste of money i've ever seen. $800 laptop + $700 desktop + $20 flash drive = BETTER performance than that. macbook air has laughably bad specs and some silly inconveniences (can't change your own battery, you have to send it in). you can save yourself $2,500, have fewer complications (like compatibility) if you don't get sucked in by the cutesy commercials and white plastic.


I'm set on getting two Mac laptops. I realize it's not the most economical choice, but it is my decision. In that case, do you think it's worth getting two Macbook Pros rather than one Pro and one Air? I like the idea of having an Air for taking notes in class. I'm using a PC netbook right now, and I like the lightness, but I prefer Macs and the Air seems like fun. Is the Air really such a bad computer?


It is a good combo. I think I would carry the MBA around - the thing is that light and unobtrusive.

A MBP at home is a good thing, might want the 15" for screen size though. but if you are not going to move it around at all, a 24" iMac would be best, in my mind.

Check out the program dropbox for synching files too.

Personally though I like just keeping everything on one machine, and having one to take to the coffee shop.

the battery life on the MBP is pretty amazing btw.


Thanks for the response! I think I will go for the 13" or 15" MBP at home with an external monitor (actually, I think I might go with dual 19" or 20" inch monitors) So the SSD for the MBA is worth it? How about for the MBP?

356a
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby 356a » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:16 pm

SSD is absolutely worth it for the mba, and basically any computer. You can change the memory and disk in the MBP but not the MBA btw. the only negative is size as still somewhat small. with the mbp it doesn't matter as much as you can get faster 7200rpm drives on it.

I would get (in fact bought another one today), the 24" mac monitor for the laptop. It is really nice and there are student discounts on these. you can run the laptop and the 24" simultaneously I believe. the 24" is a great monitor and has a wonderful cable that has a power tip in it for the mbp and mba and an ethernet connector and the monitor has a hub built into it.

(as there are with the laptops too. in fact, you get a free touch with the laptops at least the mbp).

I still would consider getting only the mba though but up to you.

check out the 13 and 15 inch mbp size and decide for yourself what you want to move around

go to macrumors.com for lots of good info

User avatar
richardfitzwell
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:03 am

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby richardfitzwell » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:58 am

I recently ordered a computer for my little sister and dell sent me a 1 time 15% off coupon on laptops, desktops that works in the dell outlet (refub). I am not using it so if anyone wants it PM me. Expires 7/29.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby dood » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:20 am

...
Last edited by dood on Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby bigben » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:43 pm

WXGA+ >>> LED


Of course, they used to have the WXGA+ LED, but no more....

User avatar
tinman
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby tinman » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:22 pm

356a wrote:SSD is absolutely worth it for the mba, and basically any computer. You can change the memory and disk in the MBP but not the MBA btw. the only negative is size as still somewhat small. with the mbp it doesn't matter as much as you can get faster 7200rpm drives on it.

I would get (in fact bought another one today), the 24" mac monitor for the laptop. It is really nice and there are student discounts on these. you can run the laptop and the 24" simultaneously I believe. the 24" is a great monitor and has a wonderful cable that has a power tip in it for the mbp and mba and an ethernet connector and the monitor has a hub built into it.

(as there are with the laptops too. in fact, you get a free touch with the laptops at least the mbp).

I still would consider getting only the mba though but up to you.

check out the 13 and 15 inch mbp size and decide for yourself what you want to move around

go to macrumors.com for lots of good info


Thanks 365a! I'm definitely set on the MBA and I'll go with the SSD. Do you prefer the 24" inch monitor to dual monitors? I like keeping one side (one monitor) for reading things like PDFs and the other side (monitor) for word processing. But if the 24" mac monitor is truly superior to the dual monitors from another maker, I might go with it.

User avatar
mallard
Posts: 1092
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:45 am

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby mallard » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:27 pm

The Lenovo is more expensive than it ought to be, right? I've been looking for a cheap but very strong laptop and Asus and HP look like good bets so far...

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby bigben » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:48 pm

tinman wrote:
356a wrote:SSD is absolutely worth it for the mba, and basically any computer. You can change the memory and disk in the MBP but not the MBA btw. the only negative is size as still somewhat small. with the mbp it doesn't matter as much as you can get faster 7200rpm drives on it.

I would get (in fact bought another one today), the 24" mac monitor for the laptop. It is really nice and there are student discounts on these. you can run the laptop and the 24" simultaneously I believe. the 24" is a great monitor and has a wonderful cable that has a power tip in it for the mbp and mba and an ethernet connector and the monitor has a hub built into it.

(as there are with the laptops too. in fact, you get a free touch with the laptops at least the mbp).

I still would consider getting only the mba though but up to you.

check out the 13 and 15 inch mbp size and decide for yourself what you want to move around

go to macrumors.com for lots of good info


Thanks 365a! I'm definitely set on the MBA and I'll go with the SSD. Do you prefer the 24" inch monitor to dual monitors? I like keeping one side (one monitor) for reading things like PDFs and the other side (monitor) for word processing. But if the 24" mac monitor is truly superior to the dual monitors from another maker, I might go with it.



Hey, I agree with you about dual monitors--they are absolutely awesome for getting things done on your computer! On your mac you should be able to achieve a dual monitor set-up by using your laptop screen as one monitor, and an external monitor as the other. The T400 does this so I would think that the mac does as well. If you had two external monitors, you may be able to achieve a tri-monitor setup.

However, I gotta ask--are you guys talking about buying this $900 24" MAC MONITOR??? If so, are you mad? The wonderful thing about monitors these days is that they can be had at very reasonable prices for high quality. Let me show you:

19" WS: $110 incl. shipping
22" WS: $150 incl. shipping
24" WS: $220 incl. shipping

As you can see, 22" widescreens are really the sweetspot in the market right now. 24-inchers are not bad at all though. But why in the world would you want to buy a 900-dollar mac monitor, unless you simply have a complete lack of appreciation for money?

356a
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby 356a » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:56 pm

tinman wrote:
356a wrote:SSD is absolutely worth it for the mba, and basically any computer. You can change the memory and disk in the MBP but not the MBA btw. the only negative is size as still somewhat small. with the mbp it doesn't matter as much as you can get faster 7200rpm drives on it.

I would get (in fact bought another one today), the 24" mac monitor for the laptop. It is really nice and there are student discounts on these. you can run the laptop and the 24" simultaneously I believe. the 24" is a great monitor and has a wonderful cable that has a power tip in it for the mbp and mba and an ethernet connector and the monitor has a hub built into it.

(as there are with the laptops too. in fact, you get a free touch with the laptops at least the mbp).

I still would consider getting only the mba though but up to you.

check out the 13 and 15 inch mbp size and decide for yourself what you want to move around

go to macrumors.com for lots of good info


Thanks 365a! I'm definitely set on the MBA and I'll go with the SSD. Do you prefer the 24" inch monitor to dual monitors? I like keeping one side (one monitor) for reading things like PDFs and the other side (monitor) for word processing. But if the 24" mac monitor is truly superior to the dual monitors from another maker, I might go with it.


The 24" monitor is very high quality and set up nicely for MBA and MBP with the power connector - but the choice of dual or large single is a personal one. I prefer just a single but I can understand why you would want two. However, I would make sure the visual quality of the dual monitors you want is very high as I wouldn't make that tradeoff. And it is very easy to swipe or mouse to new windows using osx. Check it out at an apple store. i went with wireless mouse and keyboard but you have to turn the keyboard off so in retrospect I might have only gone wireless with the mouse. make sure you go to the system preferences pane and assign the mouse buttons the way you want to.

User avatar
tinman
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby tinman » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:08 am

356a wrote:
tinman wrote:
356a wrote:SSD is absolutely worth it for the mba, and basically any computer. You can change the memory and disk in the MBP but not the MBA btw. the only negative is size as still somewhat small. with the mbp it doesn't matter as much as you can get faster 7200rpm drives on it.

I would get (in fact bought another one today), the 24" mac monitor for the laptop. It is really nice and there are student discounts on these. you can run the laptop and the 24" simultaneously I believe. the 24" is a great monitor and has a wonderful cable that has a power tip in it for the mbp and mba and an ethernet connector and the monitor has a hub built into it.

(as there are with the laptops too. in fact, you get a free touch with the laptops at least the mbp).

I still would consider getting only the mba though but up to you.

check out the 13 and 15 inch mbp size and decide for yourself what you want to move around

go to macrumors.com for lots of good info


Thanks 365a! I'm definitely set on the MBA and I'll go with the SSD. Do you prefer the 24" inch monitor to dual monitors? I like keeping one side (one monitor) for reading things like PDFs and the other side (monitor) for word processing. But if the 24" mac monitor is truly superior to the dual monitors from another maker, I might go with it.


The 24" monitor is very high quality and set up nicely for MBA and MBP with the power connector - but the choice of dual or large single is a personal one. I prefer just a single but I can understand why you would want two. However, I would make sure the visual quality of the dual monitors you want is very high as I wouldn't make that tradeoff. And it is very easy to swipe or mouse to new windows using osx. Check it out at an apple store. i went with wireless mouse and keyboard but you have to turn the keyboard off so in retrospect I might have only gone wireless with the mouse. make sure you go to the system preferences pane and assign the mouse buttons the way you want to.


I'm so sold on the Air now that I may even hold off on getting the MBP for home use and see how I like porting the Air back and forth (though I do like having multiple laptops). I also might just go ahead and get the 24" too.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby bigben » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:10 am

356a wrote:but the choice of dual or large single is a personal one. I prefer just a single but I can understand why you would want two.


Are you talking here about a tri-monitor set-up, with your laptop screen and two externals, versus a dual monitor setup with your laptop screen and one external?

User avatar
tinman
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby tinman » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:23 am

bigben wrote: However, I gotta ask--are you guys talking about buying this $900 24" MAC MONITOR??? If so, are you mad? The wonderful thing about monitors these days is that they can be had at very reasonable prices for high quality.
.......
But why in the world would you want to buy a 900-dollar mac monitor, unless you simply have a complete lack of appreciation for money?


Haha. Yes, that's what we are talking about. I appreciate quality in electronics, and I'm willing to pay a few hundred dollars for a marginal difference. Plus, I used a Lenovo Thinkpad along with a Powerbook for the past few years, and while the Thinkpad was perfectly functional, I enjoy the experience of using Apple products: it's hard to put a price tag on fun :)

With some things (food, travel, dance, and electronics), I am willing to spend with reckless abandon. I also may be a bit mad. I can't speak for 356a. But a degree from SLS should help him pay back his computer debts.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby bigben » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:50 am

tinman wrote:
bigben wrote: However, I gotta ask--are you guys talking about buying this $900 24" MAC MONITOR??? If so, are you mad? The wonderful thing about monitors these days is that they can be had at very reasonable prices for high quality.
.......
But why in the world would you want to buy a 900-dollar mac monitor, unless you simply have a complete lack of appreciation for money?


Haha. Yes, that's what we are talking about. I appreciate quality in electronics, and I'm willing to pay a few hundred dollars for a marginal difference. Plus, I used a Lenovo Thinkpad along with a Powerbook for the past few years, and while the Thinkpad was perfectly functional, I enjoy the experience of using Apple products: it's hard to put a price tag on fun :)

With some things (food, travel, dance, and electronics), I am willing to spend with reckless abandon. I also may be a bit mad. I can't speak for 356a...



Well, the difference between the solid quality monitor I linked and the mac is not a few hundred dollars--it is $680! I understand what you are saying about marginal differences in quality, but as you may know, you can get something that is technically every bit as good as the mac for around 4-500. Now that would be a few hundred dollars extra. The only difference is that it doesn't have that cute little apple on it. Anyway, I really don't mean to quibble with you on your personal purchase decisions, I just had to get the facts out there.

Btw, in case anyone reading this is interested--I may have been wrong about 22" being the sweetspot in the market. A 27.5" WS now goes for 300 incl. shipping.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby bigben » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:54 am

But a degree from SLS should help him pay back his computer debts.


How much money you have in your possession has nothing to do with the concept of spending wisely of course...much less the promise of a 160k income starting over 3 years in the future! Certainly, self-made millionaires, which represent over 80% of the millionaires in America, would be the first group of people to harp on this subject--how do you think they go to be millionaires?

356a
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby 356a » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:00 am

bigben wrote:
tinman wrote:
bigben wrote: However, I gotta ask--are you guys talking about buying this $900 24" MAC MONITOR??? If so, are you mad? The wonderful thing about monitors these days is that they can be had at very reasonable prices for high quality.
.......
But why in the world would you want to buy a 900-dollar mac monitor, unless you simply have a complete lack of appreciation for money?


Haha. Yes, that's what we are talking about. I appreciate quality in electronics, and I'm willing to pay a few hundred dollars for a marginal difference. Plus, I used a Lenovo Thinkpad along with a Powerbook for the past few years, and while the Thinkpad was perfectly functional, I enjoy the experience of using Apple products: it's hard to put a price tag on fun :)

With some things (food, travel, dance, and electronics), I am willing to spend with reckless abandon. I also may be a bit mad. I can't speak for 356a...



Well, the difference between the solid quality monitor I linked and the mac is not a few hundred dollars--it is $680! I understand what you are saying about marginal differences in quality, but as you may know, you can get something that is technically every bit as good as the mac for around 4-500. Now that would be a few hundred dollars extra. The only difference is that it doesn't have that cute little apple on it. Anyway, I really don't mean to quibble with you on your personal purchase decisions, I just had to get the facts out there.

Btw, in case anyone reading this is interested--I may have been wrong about 22" being the sweetspot in the market. A 27.5" WS now goes for 300 incl. shipping.


Those monitors are not in the same quality league as the Cinema Display. I will grant that the Apple monitor is somewhat more expensive than the peer group, but not nearly to the extreme you suggest. It is like comparing various flatscreen displays. Even the technology behind them is not the same. The apple ones are S-IPS panels, not TN like 99% of others. Now, if you don't care about viewing angle or color that might not matter to you. But they aren't the same.

You could also use your student discount to go below list (save $100 or $200, I forgot) or get a refurbished one for $699. Still pricey judged by size but really nice.

I am typing using mine right now, and it is incredible.

Again, you can get bigger and less expensive displays than this one, but don't think the Apple one is priced 2x just because of the logo. It is a MUCH better display than the one you linked to, objectively.
Last edited by 356a on Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

356a
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby 356a » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:02 am

bigben wrote:
But a degree from SLS should help him pay back his computer debts.


How much money you have in your possession has nothing to do with the concept of spending wisely of course...much less the promise of a 160k income starting over 3 years in the future! Certainly, self-made millionaires, which represent over 80% of the millionaires in America, would be the first group of people to harp on this subject--how do you think they go to be millionaires?


Your point is generally true and quite wise. Exceptions exist.

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby bigben » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:11 pm

356a wrote:Those monitors are not in the same quality league as the Cinema Display. I will grant that the Apple monitor is somewhat more expensive than the peer group, but not nearly to the extreme you suggest. It is like comparing various flatscreen displays. Even the technology behind them is not the same. The apple ones are S-IPS panels, not TN like 99% of others. Now, if you don't care about viewing angle or color that might not matter to you. But they aren't the same.

You could also use your student discount to go below list (save $100 or $200, I forgot) or get a refurbished one for $699. Still pricey judged by size but really nice.

I am typing using mine right now, and it is incredible.

Again, you can get bigger and less expensive displays than this one, but don't think the Apple one is priced 2x just because of the logo. It is a MUCH better display than the one you linked to, objectively.



The monitors I linked fall into the category of great value, high quality, and performance that is good enough for 98% of usages. I know the Apple is a better performer in most respects (though IPS panels suffer in other areas such as response time). There is premium on the Apple brand even when compared to peer monitors, but as you say maybe not as much as I suggested. Mainly I am just surprised that anyone is actually concerned about these performance differences, some of which are so small as to be unnoticeable to the untrained eye, when the context is gearing up for law school. To each his own I suppose.

356a
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby 356a » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:29 pm

bigben wrote:
356a wrote:Those monitors are not in the same quality league as the Cinema Display. I will grant that the Apple monitor is somewhat more expensive than the peer group, but not nearly to the extreme you suggest. It is like comparing various flatscreen displays. Even the technology behind them is not the same. The apple ones are S-IPS panels, not TN like 99% of others. Now, if you don't care about viewing angle or color that might not matter to you. But they aren't the same.

You could also use your student discount to go below list (save $100 or $200, I forgot) or get a refurbished one for $699. Still pricey judged by size but really nice.

I am typing using mine right now, and it is incredible.

Again, you can get bigger and less expensive displays than this one, but don't think the Apple one is priced 2x just because of the logo. It is a MUCH better display than the one you linked to, objectively.



The monitors I linked fall into the category of great value, high quality, and performance that is good enough for 98% of usages. I know the Apple is a better performer in most respects (though IPS panels suffer in other areas such as response time). There is premium on the Apple brand even when compared to peer monitors, but as you say maybe not as much as I suggested. Mainly I am just surprised that anyone is actually concerned about these performance differences, some of which are so small as to be unnoticeable to the untrained eye, when the context is gearing up for law school. To each his own I suppose.


Don't forget the built in speakers and camera! And one stop accountability...

But yes, if someone needs to manage to a budget, which probably most students should, it isn't worth it.

On the other hand, if the incremental money doesn't mean that much to you, then it is a really cool monitor.

I don't regret my choices but I have a pretty big IT budget...

But I WOULD absolutely advocate for the Mac notebooks, as OSX is an awesome OS, unless the exam software can't run in bootcamp or there is some other institutional reason why not to. The 7 hour battery life and quality of the operating system makes those MBP laptops really nice...

User avatar
coolkatz321
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby coolkatz321 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:17 pm

Apple's monitors are absurdly overpriced, much like their computers...you can get a great monitor for significantly less than their own brand. The only reason to go for Apple's is if you are 1) An obsessive Apple nut or 2) Have a lot of money.

If you look at Cnet's reviews, a number of monitor's tie the Apple ones and the Dells score better.

User avatar
coolkatz321
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby coolkatz321 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:25 pm

356a wrote:
bigben wrote:
tinman wrote:
bigben wrote: However, I gotta ask--are you guys talking about buying this $900 24" MAC MONITOR??? If so, are you mad? The wonderful thing about monitors these days is that they can be had at very reasonable prices for high quality.
.......
But why in the world would you want to buy a 900-dollar mac monitor, unless you simply have a complete lack of appreciation for money?


Haha. Yes, that's what we are talking about. I appreciate quality in electronics, and I'm willing to pay a few hundred dollars for a marginal difference. Plus, I used a Lenovo Thinkpad along with a Powerbook for the past few years, and while the Thinkpad was perfectly functional, I enjoy the experience of using Apple products: it's hard to put a price tag on fun :)

With some things (food, travel, dance, and electronics), I am willing to spend with reckless abandon. I also may be a bit mad. I can't speak for 356a...



Well, the difference between the solid quality monitor I linked and the mac is not a few hundred dollars--it is $680! I understand what you are saying about marginal differences in quality, but as you may know, you can get something that is technically every bit as good as the mac for around 4-500. Now that would be a few hundred dollars extra. The only difference is that it doesn't have that cute little apple on it. Anyway, I really don't mean to quibble with you on your personal purchase decisions, I just had to get the facts out there.

Btw, in case anyone reading this is interested--I may have been wrong about 22" being the sweetspot in the market. A 27.5" WS now goes for 300 incl. shipping.


Those monitors are not in the same quality league as the Cinema Display. I will grant that the Apple monitor is somewhat more expensive than the peer group, but not nearly to the extreme you suggest. It is like comparing various flatscreen displays. Even the technology behind them is not the same. The apple ones are S-IPS panels, not TN like 99% of others. Now, if you don't care about viewing angle or color that might not matter to you. But they aren't the same.

You could also use your student discount to go below list (save $100 or $200, I forgot) or get a refurbished one for $699. Still pricey judged by size but really nice.

I am typing using mine right now, and it is incredible.

Again, you can get bigger and less expensive displays than this one, but don't think the Apple one is priced 2x just because of the logo. It is a MUCH better display than the one you linked to, objectively.


The Apple one is priced twice as much because of the logo, don't delude yourself. The newest Dell monitors use the I-IPS displays as well, and they exceed the quality of the Apple monitors for half the price. No sane person would spend $900 on a 24" monitor.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby superflush » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:15 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:The Apple one is priced twice as much because of the logo, don't delude yourself. The newest Dell monitors use the I-IPS displays as well, and they exceed the quality of the Apple monitors for half the price. No sane person would spend $900 on a 24" monitor.


I believe the 24inch Dell UltraSharp is a good alternative to the Apple Display. Its half the cost.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... u=320-6272

bigben
Posts: 703
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby bigben » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:21 pm

superflush wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:The Apple one is priced twice as much because of the logo, don't delude yourself. The newest Dell monitors use the I-IPS displays as well, and they exceed the quality of the Apple monitors for half the price. No sane person would spend $900 on a 24" monitor.


I believe the 24inch Dell UltraSharp is a good alternative to the Apple Display. Its half the cost.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... u=320-6272


There you go, I guess I was right after all. Specs are even better than the Apple.

356a
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby 356a » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:55 pm

Not the same but if they work for you go for it

User avatar
coolkatz321
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby coolkatz321 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:01 pm

356a wrote:Not the same but if they work for you go for it


:roll:
You don't need shitty speakers and a camera in a monitor. There is absolutely no logical or sane reason to spend $900 on an Apple monitor. None. They're overpriced and the quality simply isn't in a league with the Dell one.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests