The Ideal Law School Laptop

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
enygma
Posts: 237
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:03 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby enygma » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:37 am

Lee Kitty Oswald wrote:Anyone have views on extended warranties? The Lenovo I'm looking at has a 1 year warranty included in price. However there are warranty options up to 3 years. Has anyone ever needed to use the extended warranty (and if so, to what degree) and do you think it's worth it? Thanks!


just about all the time extended warranties are a rip-off. first, somewhere around 90% of hardware failures within the first five years happen within the first year. second, the reason that they sell these is that they are a huuuuuge money maker. your laptop is unlikely to go completely belly up. your warranty will probably at most just end up covering a new motherboard or something. which by the time second or third year rolls around you could probably replace anyway for about the price of that warranty. and that's if it does break, which it probably won't.

User avatar
dholyghozt
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:31 am

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby dholyghozt » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:42 am

i was thinking of getting a netbook since i still have my laptop from college and a two year old gaming system...then i realized that the plan of using of my netbook just to take notes and perhaps test will not materialize

i figured that i'd be using it to unwind once in a while in the library through youtube or other netsurfing...i also go crazy when doing research and will prolly have dozens of FF windows open, like both westlaw and lexis, on top of 4-5 word drafts and some reviews say netbooks aren't that great when it comes to multitasking

i guess just something to think about for those who abuse their systems

User avatar
Rsrcht
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby Rsrcht » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:44 am

Lily wrote:It appears a lot of people are getting a netbook AND something else. Is anyone JUST getting a netbook? A friend of mine recommends this:

Asus Eee PC Netbook

And the reviews seem great. I am concerned about the size of the keyboard, but a lot of those reviews mention that the keyboard size is quite comfortable.

Any thoughts on netbook only? Am I going to be pissed at myself when I'm squinting like crazy at a tiny screen?

Another friend recommends a vaio.


Vaios last a long time (3+ years). Asus makes good laptops, but the netbook is meant for coffeeshop work, not library/office work. You'll keep the local pharmacy in business from all of the headache medicine you'll be using.

User avatar
hoffb86
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:11 am

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby hoffb86 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:50 am

Rsrcht wrote:
Lily wrote:It appears a lot of people are getting a netbook AND something else. Is anyone JUST getting a netbook? A friend of mine recommends this:

Asus Eee PC Netbook

And the reviews seem great. I am concerned about the size of the keyboard, but a lot of those reviews mention that the keyboard size is quite comfortable.

Any thoughts on netbook only? Am I going to be pissed at myself when I'm squinting like crazy at a tiny screen?

Another friend recommends a vaio.


Vaios last a long time (3+ years). Asus makes good laptops, but the netbook is meant for coffeeshop work, not library/office work. You'll keep the local pharmacy in business from all of the headache medicine you'll be using.


My sister got a vaio for college, the first one died after a year and had to be replaced, the second had problems with it a few months after she got it. their customer service took forever too. I don't think the sony is a good choice. but this is just my personal opinion.

User avatar
hoffb86
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:11 am

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby hoffb86 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:54 am

coolkatz321 wrote:
hoffb86 wrote:Ordered an external/secondary monitor for my macbook... 18.5" widescreen Samsung, really nice, only $75 after coupons from Staples.

(good lookin' out on that one Katz)

Does anyone have a great source for cheap/good cables? I need to find a Mini Display Port (mac) to DVI-D (monitor) cable, and have no idea where to look.


Can you define "cheap"? I found one for $8 or so, plus shipping


I looked on the site you sent me last night and couldn't find anything for Mini Display port to DVI-D. But I could just be looking in the wrong place. Apple wants $29 for a cord that looks to be way way too short, so then I would have to get an extended cord too, thats no good.... so if you saw something, let me know!

User avatar
Rsrcht
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:02 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby Rsrcht » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:55 am

hoffb86 wrote:
Rsrcht wrote:
Lily wrote:It appears a lot of people are getting a netbook AND something else. Is anyone JUST getting a netbook? A friend of mine recommends this:

Asus Eee PC Netbook

And the reviews seem great. I am concerned about the size of the keyboard, but a lot of those reviews mention that the keyboard size is quite comfortable.

Any thoughts on netbook only? Am I going to be pissed at myself when I'm squinting like crazy at a tiny screen?

Another friend recommends a vaio.


Vaios last a long time (3+ years). Asus makes good laptops, but the netbook is meant for coffeeshop work, not library/office work. You'll keep the local pharmacy in business from all of the headache medicine you'll be using.


My sister got a vaio for college, the first one died after a year and had to be replaced, the second had problems with it a few months after she got it. their customer service took forever too. I don't think the sony is a good choice. but this is just my personal opinion.


Hmm, anecdotes won't seal the verdict on vaios. My experience was different. Its lasted 3+ years and has been hauled all over the country and from one classroom to another. The battery was replaced once.

User avatar
coolkatz321
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby coolkatz321 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:11 am


User avatar
hoffb86
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:11 am

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby hoffb86 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:12 am

coolkatz321 wrote:Hoff: http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2

Knock yourself out.


You are the man. 'nuf said. Thanks dude.

(granted, they are on back order... but its a start)

User avatar
kyle
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:53 am

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby kyle » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:17 pm

got the new 13" macbook pro today... whooooooooooo!!!

User avatar
tome
Posts: 275
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:17 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby tome » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:47 pm

Is anyone who got a T400 sick of the weight yet? Or is it not a problem. (This is the main reason I got a Timeline instead)

356a
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby 356a » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:52 pm

kyle wrote:got the new 13" macbook pro today... whooooooooooo!!!


That's the way to go... unless you want the MBA like I use (and the 24" monitor at home)

Only thing I don't like about the MBP is the glassy screen. But for the price/performance either the 13 or 15" are awesome.

User avatar
tinman
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby tinman » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:36 am

Here is what I'm planning on getting during my pre-1L computer-shopping spree:

1. A Macbook Air that I leave at the law school (I don't care how light my computer is, I don't want to carry it back and forth from home to class; I'm willing to waste an extra grand to save some back pain).
2. A Macbook Pro that I leave at home
3. SugarSync (as a ghost drive and to keep the two computers in sync)

What do you all think of this set up? Any advice on whether to get a SSD for either computer? Should I go with the 13 inch MBP to match the size of the Air?

User avatar
coolkatz321
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby coolkatz321 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:37 am

tinman wrote:Here is what I'm planning on getting during my pre-1L computer-shopping spree:

1. A Macbook Air that I leave at the law school (I don't care how light my computer is, I don't want to carry it back and forth from home to class; I'm willing to waste an extra grand to save some back pain).
2. A Macbook Pro that I leave at home
3. SugarSync (as a ghost drive and to keep the two computers in sync)

What do you all think of this set up? Any advice on whether to get a SSD for either computer? Should I go with the 13 inch MBP to match the size of the Air?


An Air is a total and complete waste of money, unless you're getting it for dirt cheap...

1000bmr
Posts: 53
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:58 am

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby 1000bmr » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:02 am

tinman wrote:Here is what I'm planning on getting during my pre-1L computer-shopping spree:

1. A Macbook Air that I leave at the law school (I don't care how light my computer is, I don't want to carry it back and forth from home to class; I'm willing to waste an extra grand to save some back pain).
2. A Macbook Pro that I leave at home
3. SugarSync (as a ghost drive and to keep the two computers in sync)

What do you all think of this set up? Any advice on whether to get a SSD for either computer? Should I go with the 13 inch MBP to match the size of the Air?


basically the most enormous waste of money i've ever seen. $800 laptop + $700 desktop + $20 flash drive = BETTER performance than that. macbook air has laughably bad specs and some silly inconveniences (can't change your own battery, you have to send it in). you can save yourself $2,500, have fewer complications (like compatibility) if you don't get sucked in by the cutesy commercials and white plastic.

law1234
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby law1234 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:37 am

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this build. Basically, the only demands that I have are that it be fast, able to run several programs simultaneously (OneNote/Word/internet broswer), and somewhat durable. I am not interested in gaming or media, so I chose the integrated video card, and I am not interested in purchasing a higher version of Vista (which comes with a free upgrade to win7) since I am going to be purchasing a multi-license version down the road. What do you think?


ThinkPad T400 - 1 Yr Depot Warranty

Operating system: Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic
Operating system language: Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic US English
Display type: 14.1 WXGA+ TFT, w/ CCFL Backlight
System graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD with vPro
Total memory: 2 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (1DIMM)
Keyboard: Keyboard US English
Pointing device: UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint Reader
Hard drive: 160 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
Optical device: CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo 24X/24X/24X/8X Max, Ultrabay Slim (Serial ATA)
System expansion slots: Express Card Slot & PC Card Slot
Wireless card: Intel WiFi Link 5100 (AGN) with My WiFi Technology
Mobile Broadband: Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradable
Battery: 6 cell Li-Ion Battery
Power cord: Country Pack North America with Line cord & 65W AC adapter
Language pack: Language Pack US English

The total price is 803.00 w/free shipping due to my Intel shareholder discount.

User avatar
coolkatz321
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby coolkatz321 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:40 am

law1234 wrote:I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this build. Basically, the only demands that I have are that it be fast, able to run several programs simultaneously (OneNote/Word/internet broswer), and somewhat durable. I am not interested in gaming or media, so I chose the integrated video card, and I am not interested in purchasing a higher version of Vista (which comes with a free upgrade to win7) since I am going to be purchasing a multi-license version down the road. What do you think?


ThinkPad T400 - 1 Yr Depot Warranty

Operating system: Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic
Operating system language: Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic US English
Display type: 14.1 WXGA+ TFT, w/ CCFL Backlight
System graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD with vPro
Total memory: 2 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (1DIMM)
Keyboard: Keyboard US English
Pointing device: UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint Reader
Hard drive: 160 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
Optical device: CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo 24X/24X/24X/8X Max, Ultrabay Slim (Serial ATA)
System expansion slots: Express Card Slot & PC Card Slot
Wireless card: Intel WiFi Link 5100 (AGN) with My WiFi Technology
Mobile Broadband: Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradable
Battery: 6 cell Li-Ion Battery
Power cord: Country Pack North America with Line cord & 65W AC adapter
Language pack: Language Pack US English

The total price is 803.00 w/free shipping due to my Intel shareholder discount.


Bad choice. Go through Lenovo's Contractor Purchasing Program...you'll save more.

http://www.lenovo.com/cpp

Code: familyandfriends

Also, get an LED screen--it looks a lot nicer and you'll have great battery life.

law1234
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby law1234 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:14 pm

Thanks for the respnse. Just an FYI the contractor discount is the same as the shareholder discount. And do you think the led benefit outweighs the cost of the decrease in resolution?

law1234
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:46 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby law1234 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:43 pm

Adjusted the 7200 hard drive to a 5400 in order to cut down on energy costs/sound. Adjusted monitor to LED. Adjusted 6 cell battery to 9 cell battery. How does it look? Total is now 841.50.

Intel Core 2 Duo processor P8700 (2.53GHz 1066MHz 3MBL2)
Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic
14.1 WXGA TFT, w/ LED Backlight
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD with vPro
2 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (1 DIMM)
UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint Reader
250 GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo 24X/24X/24X/8X Max, Ultrabay Slim (Serial ATA)
Intel WiFi Link 5100 (AGN) with My WiFi Technology
Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradable
9 cell Li-Ion Battery

User avatar
coolkatz321
Posts: 436
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby coolkatz321 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:02 pm

law1234 wrote:Adjusted the 7200 hard drive to a 5400 in order to cut down on energy costs/sound. Adjusted monitor to LED. Adjusted 6 cell battery to 9 cell battery. How does it look? Total is now 841.50.

Intel Core 2 Duo processor P8700 (2.53GHz 1066MHz 3MBL2)
Genuine Windows Vista Home Basic
14.1 WXGA TFT, w/ LED Backlight
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD with vPro
2 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (1 DIMM)
UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint Reader
250 GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo 24X/24X/24X/8X Max, Ultrabay Slim (Serial ATA)
Intel WiFi Link 5100 (AGN) with My WiFi Technology
Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradable
9 cell Li-Ion Battery


Save the money and stick with the 6 cell battery...unless you think you need more than an 8 hour battery life. I'd also suggest spending that additional money on Vista Home Premium, so you can get Windows 7 for free.

User avatar
dbt
Posts: 617
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:46 am

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby dbt » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:30 pm

kyle wrote:got the new 13" macbook pro today... whooooooooooo!!!


just got mine yesterday. I'm impressed so far.

User avatar
Goal
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby Goal » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:02 pm

dbt wrote:
kyle wrote:got the new 13" macbook pro today... whooooooooooo!!!


just got mine yesterday. I'm impressed so far.


Sold mine over the weekend. I'm missing it already.

User avatar
dbt
Posts: 617
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:46 am

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby dbt » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:09 pm

Goal wrote:
dbt wrote:
kyle wrote:got the new 13" macbook pro today... whooooooooooo!!!


just got mine yesterday. I'm impressed so far.


Sold mine over the weekend. I'm missing it already.


Did you switch to PC? I'm liking Mac so far, but the real problem is that a lot of programs that I really like (Zune, Soulseek, Gom Player) don't have Mac versions and now I have to either find replacements for them or, what I'm planning to do, set aside a lot of space to dual boot Windows and then I'll have to switch music and stuff over to the Mac platform as I download it if I decide to make that my main platform...ugh. I like the Mac OS, but it's making things tough.

User avatar
Goal
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby Goal » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:48 pm

dbt wrote:
Goal wrote:
dbt wrote:
kyle wrote:got the new 13" macbook pro today... whooooooooooo!!!


just got mine yesterday. I'm impressed so far.


Sold mine over the weekend. I'm missing it already.


Did you switch to PC? I'm liking Mac so far, but the real problem is that a lot of programs that I really like (Zune, Soulseek, Gom Player) don't have Mac versions and now I have to either find replacements for them or, what I'm planning to do, set aside a lot of space to dual boot Windows and then I'll have to switch music and stuff over to the Mac platform as I download it if I decide to make that my main platform...ugh. I like the Mac OS, but it's making things tough.


I have both Mac and PC, but I managed to sell the MacBook for profit to buy books. This way I won't have to use my loans or my own money for that purpose. After that, I'll get a new one. These dang MacBooks have great resale value!

I use my PC at home for music, photo editing and backup because it's more powerful. The MacBook comes with me to class because it's a lot more portable. I'm in no way rich, but I happen to be a tech enthusiast.

User avatar
tinman
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby tinman » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:03 pm

1000bmr wrote:
tinman wrote:Here is what I'm planning on getting during my pre-1L computer-shopping spree:

1. A Macbook Air that I leave at the law school (I don't care how light my computer is, I don't want to carry it back and forth from home to class; I'm willing to waste an extra grand to save some back pain).
2. A Macbook Pro that I leave at home
3. SugarSync (as a ghost drive and to keep the two computers in sync)

What do you all think of this set up? Any advice on whether to get a SSD for either computer? Should I go with the 13 inch MBP to match the size of the Air?


basically the most enormous waste of money i've ever seen. $800 laptop + $700 desktop + $20 flash drive = BETTER performance than that. macbook air has laughably bad specs and some silly inconveniences (can't change your own battery, you have to send it in). you can save yourself $2,500, have fewer complications (like compatibility) if you don't get sucked in by the cutesy commercials and white plastic.


I'm set on getting two Mac laptops. I realize it's not the most economical choice, but it is my decision. In that case, do you think it's worth getting two Macbook Pros rather than one Pro and one Air? I like the idea of having an Air for taking notes in class. I'm using a PC netbook right now, and I like the lightness, but I prefer Macs and the Air seems like fun. Is the Air really such a bad computer?

356a
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby 356a » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:15 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:
tinman wrote:Here is what I'm planning on getting during my pre-1L computer-shopping spree:

An Air is a total and complete waste of money, unless you're getting it for dirt cheap...


I really don't know why people say stuff like an Air is a waste of money.

I have one and LOVE it. The value in it is the incredibly small size, light weight, and great screen. It does everything I want, and everything that would be needed in school.

For heavy video editing, etc. other computers like the MBP are better. But they also weigh several pounds more, and definately feel it.

For reference, I have a MBA, a 15" MBP, a 20" iMac and a mac Mini so I feel I am pretty qualified to speak on the topic.

And the MBA gets 99 percent of my usage.

Really an awesome machine, and basically the only one I use. (I use the mini as a file server for my tv, the MBP sits in a drawer, and the iMac doesn't get used at all).

I think what the poster really should say is that the MBA is a waste for him, and perhaps for his budget. (though they did have a big price decrease).

And btw, it feels the fastest of all my machines given the SSD. Wow




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], carlos_danger, Dodocogon, theothercat and 7 guests