The Ideal Law School Laptop

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
notreallysure

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Postby notreallysure » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:30 am

Would the Lenovo X301 or the Lenovo T400s be more practical for use as a everyday Law school Classroom laptop? If you actually own one of these two laptops I would greatly appreciate your input. I understand that preference has alot to do with the type of computer someone would select. I am really concerned about the screen size (X301 [13.3] vs. T400s [14.1]) and whether or not reading on the X301 would create a problem.

UNC2009

Postby UNC2009 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:00 am

notreallysure wrote:Would the Lenovo X301 or the Lenovo T400s be more practical for use as a everyday Law school Classroom laptop? If you actually own one of these two laptops I would greatly appreciate your input. I understand that preference has alot to do with the type of computer someone would select. I am really concerned about the screen size (X301 [13.3] vs. T400s [14.1]) and whether or not reading on the X301 would create a problem.

I have the X300, which is basically the exact same thing as the X301 but with like 20Mhz less processing speed or something like that, and much less expensive. In fact, I think the X300 is the predecessor of the X301 and I don't think they make the 300 any more, but you can still get them from Buy.com and other retailers. I LOVE MY X300!!!!!!!!! I actually purchased (and returned) 3 different laptops before I ordered my x301 and I couldn't be happier. It is lightweight, fast and seems very rugged and durable, even at 3 lbs. I have purchased an Infocase Endo sleeve (for Macbook) to give me an added layer of protection for when I'm riding my bike to school (in case I take a tumble). I am also using "Dropbox" to sync my files from my laptop to my home desktop over the internet (my home PC is backed up with Carbonite, so I can't lose any law school files). The only drawback is the small hard drive, but I'm not running photoshop or anything heavy on it and will not be putting music or photos on my law school X300, so I think the 64 GB hard drive will work just fine for me. I have purchased a 16 GB keyring flash drive for a little added mobile storage. The keyboard is great and I have found that I'm using the Trackpoint almost 100% of the time, so my Touchpad goes almost unused. As for screen size, the 13.3 is just fine for me.

FWIW, I strongly recommend the x300 or x301. I don't think you can go wrong.

notreallysure

Postby notreallysure » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:40 pm

UNC2009 wrote:
notreallysure wrote:Would the Lenovo X301 or the Lenovo T400s be more practical for use as a everyday Law school Classroom laptop? If you actually own one of these two laptops I would greatly appreciate your input. I understand that preference has alot to do with the type of computer someone would select. I am really concerned about the screen size (X301 [13.3] vs. T400s [14.1]) and whether or not reading on the X301 would create a problem.

I have the X300, which is basically the exact same thing as the X301 but with like 20Mhz less processing speed or something like that, and much less expensive. In fact, I think the X300 is the predecessor of the X301 and I don't think they make the 300 any more, but you can still get them from Buy.com and other retailers. I LOVE MY X300!!!!!!!!! I actually purchased (and returned) 3 different laptops before I ordered my x301 and I couldn't be happier. It is lightweight, fast and seems very rugged and durable, even at 3 lbs. I have purchased an Infocase Endo sleeve (for Macbook) to give me an added layer of protection for when I'm riding my bike to school (in case I take a tumble). I am also using "Dropbox" to sync my files from my laptop to my home desktop over the internet (my home PC is backed up with Carbonite, so I can't lose any law school files). The only drawback is the small hard drive, but I'm not running photoshop or anything heavy on it and will not be putting music or photos on my law school X300, so I think the 64 GB hard drive will work just fine for me. I have purchased a 16 GB keyring flash drive for a little added mobile storage. The keyboard is great and I have found that I'm using the Trackpoint almost 100% of the time, so my Touchpad goes almost unused. As for screen size, the 13.3 is just fine for me.

Thanks for the info UNC. I think I'm going to go ahead and get the X301. there is an e-coupon I found for 25% off when you buy from Lenovo.com! I do have one more question though. I am also a little concerned about the limited amount of storage that comes with the 64GB SSD, and I was thinking about upgrading it to 128GB. With that being said, how much memory was free when you first got your computer (If you can remember of course). In other words, after the operating system and the Thinkvantage suite of programs that Lenovo puts on all the Thinkpads is installed from the factory, how much memory out of the 64GB is free for the user to enjoy? I don't think I would be putting too much memory consuming items on this laptop, (I have a 500GB external hard drive for stuff like that) but it would be nice to have a larger HD just in case I decide to use it as a more recreational type laptop after law school.

nmoor1501

Postby nmoor1501 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:50 pm

I think I am going to go for the MacBook Air. I have a black MacBook, but it is getting old, the battery doesn't hold much of a charge and I don't want to run Windows on it. I am planning to keep it as my non law school computer.

I was considering a small HP netbook, or some other PC, but I haven't had a PC in over 6 years and I don't think I really want to go there.

Should the MacBook Air be sufficient for note and exam taking? Anyone have a MacBook Air and love it/hate it?

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:58 pm

nmoor1501 wrote:I think I am going to go for the MacBook Air. I have a black MacBook, but it is getting old, the battery doesn't hold much of a charge and I don't want to run Windows on it. I am planning to keep it as my non law school computer.

I was considering a small HP netbook, or some other PC, but I haven't had a PC in over 6 years and I don't think I really want to go there.

Should the MacBook Air be sufficient for note and exam taking? Anyone have a MacBook Air and love it/hate it?

Eh not worth it. Just save yourself some money and get the new 13 inch macbook pro. I know it is alluring because it is so small and thin, but the the bottom level macbook pro is pretty damn thin and sexy as well. It probably has higher specs too for a lower cost.

nmoor1501

Postby nmoor1501 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:05 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
nmoor1501 wrote:I think I am going to go for the MacBook Air. I have a black MacBook, but it is getting old, the battery doesn't hold much of a charge and I don't want to run Windows on it. I am planning to keep it as my non law school computer.

Eh not worth it. Just save yourself some money and get the new 13 inch macbook pro. I know it is alluring because it is so small and thin, but the the bottom level macbook pro is pretty damn thin and sexy as well. It probably has higher specs too for a lower cost.

Yea, I see your point. I am looking at the Air on Ebay though and I think I can get it for 700 or less. Worth it at that price?

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:23 pm

Well depends. Do you want a laptop that sacrifices a lot of computing power due to its sex appeal, size, and thinness? I think $700 would be worth it if you want something very small and thin, but then again you could just get a netbook and install osx on it.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:28 pm

nmoor1501 wrote:
Yea, I see your point. I am looking at the Air on Ebay though and I think I can get it for 700 or less. Worth it at that price?

You can take a look at this setup. He list some of the pro's and con's of using the Macbook Air for lawschool. I personally would not use the Macbook Air due to the hassle it seems to be to use any external hardware with it (Thumbdrives, CD/DVD Drives).

Plus, the Macbook Pro (13 inch) has a much better battery life to the Macbook Air. I would think this is important in a college environment.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:37 pm

CyLaw wrote:
nmoor1501 wrote:

You can take a look at this setup. He list some of the pro's and con's of using the Macbook Air for lawschool. I personally would not use the Macbook Air due to the hassle it seems to be to use any external hardware with it (Thumbdrives, CD/DVD Drives).

Plus, the Macbook Pro (13 inch) has a much better battery life to the Macbook Air. I would think this is important in a college environment.

Hah, I forgot that it did not have a CD/DVD drive. Do yourself a favor and get an "older" macbook ( the kind that looks like the new macbook pro) or get the new 13 inch low end macbook pro which is essentially identical to the older macbook pro.

UNC2009

Postby UNC2009 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:09 pm

notreallysure wrote:
UNC2009 wrote:

Thanks for the info UNC. I think I'm going to go ahead and get the X301. there is an e-coupon I found for 25% off when you buy from Lenovo.com! I do have one more question though. I am also a little concerned about the limited amount of storage that comes with the 64GB SSD, and I was thinking about upgrading it to 128GB. With that being said, how much memory was free when you first got your computer (If you can remember of course). In other words, after the operating system and the Thinkvantage suite of programs that Lenovo puts on all the Thinkpads is installed from the factory, how much memory out of the 64GB is free for the user to enjoy? I don't think I would be putting too much memory consuming items on this laptop, (I have a 500GB external hard drive for stuff like that) but it would be nice to have a larger HD just in case I decide to use it as a more recreational type laptop after law school.

After I also installed the full Microsoft Office Ultimate, I have 28.1 GB free of a total 59.6 GB. It's not a lot, but for me, I think it will be enough for law school.

the fledgling

Postby the fledgling » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:34 pm

So maybe this isn't the appropriate thread for this question, but I'm thinking of getting a new external hard drive specifically for my law school stuff. I already have a Lacie 250GB for my MacBook and no complaints there, except maybe that it was expensive. Anyway, the Lacie's going on 4 years old and the Macbook is just over 2.

My brother is trying to get me to buy a Western Digital ex-hard drive, but I figured I'd see what others think as well. I'd like to spend as little as possible (certainly under $200). Any ideas?

superflush

Postby superflush » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:39 pm

nmoor1501 wrote:Yea, I see your point. I am looking at the Air on Ebay though and I think I can get it for 700 or less. Worth it at that price?

hey, fwiw, I know the MacBook Air had some problems. At least the original Rev A model. So I might be wary of getting a used Air on eBay.

leobowski

Postby leobowski » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:44 pm

This is a super-cheap 15" laptop for only $320 new, not the greatest processor but still an excellent deal for anyone on a strict budget.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/22497/C ... at-Staples

superflush

Postby superflush » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:44 pm

the fledgling wrote:I'm thinking of getting a new external hard drive specifically for my law school stuff. I already have a Lacie 250GB for my MacBook and no complaints there, except maybe that it was expensive. Anyway, the Lacie's going on 4 years old and the Macbook is just over 2.

My brother is trying to get me to buy a Western Digital ex-hard drive, but I figured I'd see what others think as well. I'd like to spend as little as possible (certainly under $200). Any ideas?

Personal decision, and you can go with whatever you want. I will make one point that you should probably go with one of the bigger storage companies, because they tend to have much better support than the smaller ones. Are you looking for a Portable Hard Drive, or just a regular external Hard Drive. If I was buying a regular one right now, I'd be getting this 1TB Lacie: http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11014
http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-Desktop-Ext ... 379&sr=8-3 (on Amazon for $100)

1000bmr

Postby 1000bmr » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:54 pm

the fledgling wrote:So maybe this isn't the appropriate thread for this question, but I'm thinking of getting a new external hard drive specifically for my law school stuff. I already have a Lacie 250GB for my MacBook and no complaints there, except maybe that it was expensive. Anyway, the Lacie's going on 4 years old and the Macbook is just over 2.

western digital is the only brand i recommend to anybody. i've only had 1 die on me, but that was after being my primary hdd on a heavily used pc for almost 8 years. the second hdd that was in that computer (used mainly for file storage) was also WD and it continues to work like new to this day.

newegg has good deals on some external drives. at the 1tb level, the my book 1tb actually looks like it's only slightly more expensive than putting together your own your own hdd/enclosure, so i'd just buy the premade one. at other price levels, i'd just compare the prices on your desired external drives versus comparable hdd+enclosure combos.

the fledgling

Postby the fledgling » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:20 pm

Thanks superflush and 1000bmr! I'd prefer a portable hard drive between 320-500GB, mostly because I don't have much counterspace in my small studio and I may take it with me (may).

For Lacie, I was thinking either this (http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11084) or this (http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11030). I'm not sure that firewire-ability is worth the cost in GBs. Thoughts?

For WD: My top choices are sadly out of stock (--LinkRemoved-- & http://store.westerndigital.com/store/w ... d.13093000). I could get a 400BG Passport Studio Elite for $179 or a 320GB Passport for $119, but again the firewire/usb conundrum.

Checking out newegg, thx.

superflush

Postby superflush » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:26 pm

the fledgling wrote:Thanks superflush and 1000bmr! I'd prefer a portable hard drive between 320-500GB, mostly because I don't have much counterspace in my small studio and I may take it with me (may).

For Lacie, I was thinking either this (http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11084) or this (http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11030). I'm not sure that firewire-ability is worth the cost in GBs. Thoughts?

They have these too: http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=10982
But if you like the rugged, then I guess go with that. I don't know if firewire has its benefits. But at the least, it would leave free your usb ports, right.

the fledgling

Postby the fledgling » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:31 pm

superflush wrote:
the fledgling wrote:Thanks superflush and 1000bmr! I'd prefer a portable hard drive between 320-500GB, mostly because I don't have much counterspace in my small studio and I may take it with me (may).

They have these too: http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=10982
But if you like the rugged, then I guess go with that. I don't know if firewire has its benefits. But at the least, it would leave free your usb ports, right.

The little disk isn't a bad option. Thanks! I've heard that the main reason why Fire Wire is nice is because it uploads slightly quicker. My current Lacie uses a USB port though, and I don't find it to be that slow.

Any thoughts on Iomega? This one looked nice: http://store.apple.com/us/product/TW026 ... NjA5MTU4MQ Very chic.

nmoor1501

Postby nmoor1501 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:09 pm

As far as the tiny net books (especially the HP because that is what I am looking at), do you think the tiny screen will make taking tests and taking notes more difficult? I really want an ultra portable laptop (which is why I think the MBA looks good) but I want full functionality in those two areas.

the fledgling

Postby the fledgling » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:31 pm

nmoor1501 wrote:As far as the tiny net books (especially the HP because that is what I am looking at), do you think the tiny screen will make taking tests and taking notes more difficult? I really want an ultra portable laptop (which is why I think the MBA looks good) but I want full functionality in those two areas.

I suppose it depends on the quality of your eyesight. Stay away if your eyes strain easily. I personally find the smaller keyboards on those netbooks to be their most annoying attribute.

superflush

Postby superflush » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:59 pm

nmoor1501 wrote:As far as the tiny net books (especially the HP because that is what I am looking at), do you think the tiny screen will make taking tests and taking notes more difficult?

How small is the screen. It will probably make it more difficult

dbt

Postby dbt » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:37 am

FYI, my friend found a 1.5 TB external hard drive through Mac today for $160. I paid $110 for my 500 GB hard drive through my school's discount last year, so I'm guessing this is quite the deal.

ealwcml

Postby ealwcml » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:15 pm

Last edited by ealwcml on Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the fledgling

Postby the fledgling » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:46 pm

dbt wrote:FYI, my friend found a 1.5 TB external hard drive through Mac today for $160. I paid $110 for my 500 GB hard drive through my school's discount last year, so I'm guessing this is quite the deal.

That is a good deal. Maybe I should re-think the portability thing... Do you know what make he bought?

Foozle

Postby Foozle » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:11 pm

the fledgling wrote:
dbt wrote:FYI, my friend found a 1.5 TB external hard drive through Mac today for $160. I paid $110 for my 500 GB hard drive through my school's discount last year, so I'm guessing this is quite the deal.

That is a good deal. Maybe I should re-think the portability thing... Do you know what make he bought?

Do you really NEED it to be portable? I'd just leave the big external at home or w/e and use the computer's hard drive/smaller portable drive for stuff that I need all the time, and just swap files between the drives accordingly.

Furthermore, not many people need 1tb or more of storage space, unless you're storing movies or have a huge music library or something. I'd rather buy a 500gb, especially because I have a bad history of externals falling off my desk and getting damaged :roll:

Here's a WD 500gb from Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136175
Dimensions are 6.5" x 5.4" x 2.1", 2.5 pounds. $90 + free shipping.

Here's a WD 1TB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136321. $108. Pretty decent deal.

Here's a portable one. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136300. $100 with free shipping, 400 gb.

I'm not sure whether or not the last two are incompatible with Macs.

Newegg is, in 90% of situations, the best place to buy computer parts. They usually have the cheapest prices, and their standard shipping usually arrives in <3 days, and is often free. I bought a crapton of parts when building my PC in June, and all of it arrived in 2 days.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”