The Ideal Law School Laptop Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
356a

New

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Post by 356a » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:02 pm

particleman wrote:
particleman wrote:Hey all, I'm considering switching to Mac and have been looking at the Mac Book Pro 13" and 15". I currently have a 15" screen laptop so I'm wondering if a 13" is too small. Anyone out there have a 13" screen and feel like it's not big enough? Anyone with a 15" think their laptop is too heavy?
bump - was hoping to get some more opinions on this :)
go to macrumors.com lot's of posts on this there.

ubermensch

New

Post by ubermensch » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:30 pm

Just got my t400 this week and I love it. No keyboard flex, screen is really bright, great battery life, quiet, and not too warm.

nontradintexas

Bronze

Post by nontradintexas » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:42 pm

ubermensch wrote:Just got my t400 this week and I love it. No keyboard flex, screen is really bright, great battery life, quiet, and not too warm.
I've been toying with configurations for a T500. Did you select the Turbo Memory hard drive cache? Anyone know pros/cons? I figure for $40 it can't hurt, just haven't seen this option on any other manufacturer.

ubermensch

New

Post by ubermensch » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:09 am

nontradintexas wrote:
ubermensch wrote:Just got my t400 this week and I love it. No keyboard flex, screen is really bright, great battery life, quiet, and not too warm.
I've been toying with configurations for a T500. Did you select the Turbo Memory hard drive cache? Anyone know pros/cons? I figure for $40 it can't hurt, just haven't seen this option on any other manufacturer.
Nope. The only upgrades I got were the 6 cell and the LED screen. It's already much nicer than my previous setup, and I can upgrade RAM and other stuff later.

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:26 am

One of this week's AmEx sales is an HP Mini 2140 for $198. I want an Asus Eee PC 1005HA, but this is so tempting for half the price.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LawandOrder

Silver

Post by LawandOrder » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:28 am

Lenovo sponsors F1, and that's enough reason to get me to buy it (if I were in the market).

--ImageRemoved--

malagueno

New

Post by malagueno » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:17 pm

particleman wrote:
particleman wrote:Hey all, I'm considering switching to Mac and have been looking at the Mac Book Pro 13" and 15". I currently have a 15" screen laptop so I'm wondering if a 13" is too small. Anyone out there have a 13" screen and feel like it's not big enough? Anyone with a 15" think their laptop is too heavy?
bump - was hoping to get some more opinions on this :)
I had a 17" before. Recently bought the 13" Macbook Pro. I don't seem to have any problems with screen size. Personally, I wouldn't want to be carrying anything bigger to class every day.

missv463

New

Post by missv463 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:54 pm

FYI... pre-order of the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade is on Amazon now for $50

tome

Bronze

Post by tome » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:39 am

missv463 wrote:FYI... pre-order of the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade is on Amazon now for $50
If you bought your computer after 26th of June, you get a free upgrade. I got one in the box with my Timeline.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lucydog

New

Post by lucydog » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:25 pm

tome wrote:
missv463 wrote:FYI... pre-order of the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade is on Amazon now for $50
If you bought your computer after 26th of June, you get a free upgrade. I got one in the box with my Timeline.
How do you like your Timeline? I am thinking about getting one, but I am concerned about running Windows 7 on a low speed single core processor.

dachillchick

New

Post by dachillchick » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:51 am

I just ordered my T400 and plan to upgrade the memory immediately (from 2GB to 4GB). Can anyone comment on/ suggest which one to buy? I'm currently looking at Kingston. Thanks much!

tome

Bronze

Post by tome » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:40 am

lucydog wrote:
tome wrote:
How do you like your Timeline? I am thinking about getting one, but I am concerned about running Windows 7 on a low speed single core processor.
It is great so far. Super light, Super long-life, and Super cheap. I was under the impressions that if you could run a 64 version of Vista, the Windows 7 of the same version will run better. If not, I would be reasonably happy to stay with Vista.

Certainly, though, single core processors are thing of the past, given how people tend to use their computers, and multitasking is likely to be a huge part of law school. You could just get the duo version of the Timeline --LinkRemoved--. Of course, this costs $300 more at $900, sort of nullifying the Super cheap motivation for getting a Timeline in the first place.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:41 am

dachillchick wrote:I just ordered my T400 and plan to upgrade the memory immediately (from 2GB to 4GB). Can anyone comment on/ suggest which one to buy? I'm currently looking at Kingston. Thanks much!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820148192

Knock yourself out.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MSachmorov

New

Post by MSachmorov » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:03 am

ResIpsaLoquitur wrote:I ll be using my one two punch. In the dorm/ at home, ill be using my HP Pavillion and in class Ill be using my Acer Aspire One
http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AOA150-1447- ... 698&sr=8-2

I am definitely looking into the one two punch idea...I was wondering how is the battery life on those tiny laptops? Also do you feel like it would be a problem switching from that for everyday and the big one for finals??

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:30 am

dachillchick wrote:I just ordered my T400 and plan to upgrade the memory immediately (from 2GB to 4GB). Can anyone comment on/ suggest which one to buy? I'm currently looking at Kingston. Thanks much!
I bought the X300. I had a 2GB stick of RAM that I bought for another PC. It was Crucial brand. It was like $20 on NewEgg.com.

sbcity24

New

Post by sbcity24 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:46 am

MSachmorov wrote:
ResIpsaLoquitur wrote:I ll be using my one two punch. In the dorm/ at home, ill be using my HP Pavillion and in class Ill be using my Acer Aspire One
http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AOA150-1447- ... 698&sr=8-2

I am definitely looking into the one two punch idea...I was wondering how is the battery life on those tiny laptops? Also do you feel like it would be a problem switching from that for everyday and the big one for finals??

The battery life on the 6-cell Aspire One is excellent. Around seven hours with the right settings. I'm also planning to use my full size Lenovo at home and the Acer in class. Switching between keyboards is usually only a matter of a 1-2 minute adjustment for me, wouldn't worry about it for finals too much.

Goal

New

Post by Goal » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:59 pm

Just make sure you are running 64-bit Windows, because otherwise only a total of 3GB will be used.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:15 pm

Goal wrote:
Just make sure you are running 64-bit Windows, because otherwise only a total of 3GB will be used.
FWIW, I thought this was going to be true for my x300, but it is NOT the case. I am running 32-bit Vista and I am using the full 4 GB.

Goal

New

Post by Goal » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:00 pm

UNC2009 wrote:
Goal wrote:
FWIW, I thought this was going to be true for my x300, but it is NOT the case. I am running 32-bit Vista and I am using the full 4 GB.
Are you talking about the report in System or the Task Manager (Performance tab)? The numbers in the Task Manager matter because that is where the OS is reporting actual usage. Unless Lenovo tweaked the PAE to 36-bit from 32, I don't think you will see the full 4GB.

djshack

New

Post by djshack » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:13 pm

UNC2009 wrote:
Goal wrote:
My Computer will show 4 GB, but the task manager will not. I have a Lenovo T400, and because of the switchable graphics, Windows can only access 2.5 GB (Windows 7 64-bit will take care of that).

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:24 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:24 pm

thesealocust wrote:
UNC2009 wrote:
Goal wrote:
Physically impossible with 32 bit windows OS, I am sorry to report.
I stand corrected. Am I getting any boost from the additional 2GB stick (I have 2 sticks of 2 GB each) with windows vista 32-bit? Am I getting the use of the additional 1 GB (up to the 3 GB limit)? Thanks for the clarification

Spor

New

Post by Spor » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:12 pm

UNC2009 wrote:I stand corrected. Am I getting any boost from the additional 2GB stick (I have 2 sticks of 2 GB each) with windows vista 32-bit? Am I getting the use of the additional 1 GB (up to the 3 GB limit)? Thanks for the clarification
Yes, up to around the 3GB. Technically a 32bit OS is capable of addressing the entire 4GB of ram and actually does so. What keeps you from actually benefiting from the entire 4GB is that the OS reserves a portion of the address space for hardware like the BIOS, video card memory, and other such resources. Since this space is reserved it can't be used by your regular everyday use programs. But you are able to take advantage of any memory of that 4GB that isn't reserved.

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:54 pm

ok so i tried to read through most of this thread but it gets pretty technical.

i just bought the standard 13" macbook pro. with just the 160gb hard drive, 2gb memory and 2.26ghz processor. i don't do any gaming (and can't imagine i will do very much over the next three years). i have some video (off my iphone or flip mino stuff), some pictures and some music (i haven't and won't ever download my cd collection!). i can't imagine blowing through the hard drive (i should be able to save 20,000+ pictures - right?) but i assume i can always buy an external.

is this ok or do i need to return and upgrade???? i am freaking out a little with all this upgrading stuff you guys are talking about.

please help and thanks!

Goal

New

Post by Goal » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:18 pm

littleboyblue wrote:ok so i tried to read through most of this thread but it gets pretty technical.

i just bought the standard 13" macbook pro. with just the 160gb hard drive, 2gb memory and 2.26ghz processor. i don't do any gaming (and can't imagine i will do very much over the next three years). i have some video (off my iphone or flip mino stuff), some pictures and some music (i haven't and won't ever download my cd collection!). i can't imagine blowing through the hard drive (i should be able to save 20,000+ pictures - right?) but i assume i can always buy an external.

is this ok or do i need to return and upgrade???? i am freaking out a little with all this upgrading stuff you guys are talking about.

please help and thanks!
Law school doesn't require much from your computer, except for the ability to run Word or similar software. You should be fine with this option. And if not, you can always sell it and get a new one next year. MacBooks have very good resale value.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”