The Ideal Law School Laptop Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
misteranthro

New

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Post by misteranthro » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:27 pm

superflush wrote:
FL135 wrote:Is there a limit to the number of computers that you can download this students edition of microsoft office ultimate. I need it for 3. (I wont have three computers with me at law school)
I am not sure about the download. I feel like the license is only for 1, but I would check the terms.
I can tell you this though, I downloaded it from them for my old laptop and I also ordered the backup disc (at the time I had to order it separate, it wasn't very seemless). I had to email them just in order to get my activation key for the office that I downloaded. The gave my the activation key in an email. This was almost 2 years ago. Just yesterday, I used the backup disc for the first time to install Office on my netbook with the same activation key. It worked (and perhaps I even could have downloaded Office and used the same key).
It is a full license, which technically means 2 computers, but I think that you would need to get the back-up disk to take full advantage. I don't know why you couldn't install it from the back-up onto all 3 though.

bigrob24

New

Post by bigrob24 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:54 pm

got my T400 in yesterday, and it is incredible!!!

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:05 pm

misteranthro wrote:Thanks all! I do have Vista Business Service Pack 1, which is 32-Bit application. I guess a 1GB upgrade is all the system can use, but I am wondering...will it make any difference to get it? I plan on upgrading to Windows 7 in the fall, and could just wait to add memory until I need it for that.

You won't see a 50% increase in speed or anything, but the whole system will feel snappier and more responsive. If you're the kind of person who has music playing, a onenote window and a browser with a few tabs open, you'll probably feel more comfortable with the extra RAM. fewer of those "oh crap the whole thing is dying a slow death" moments. If you're like my dad who learned computers back in the day when you could only run one program at a time, then no, you don't need it.

misteranthro

New

Post by misteranthro » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:28 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:
misteranthro wrote:Thanks all! I do have Vista Business Service Pack 1, which is 32-Bit application. I guess a 1GB upgrade is all the system can use, but I am wondering...will it make any difference to get it? I plan on upgrading to Windows 7 in the fall, and could just wait to add memory until I need it for that.

You won't see a 50% increase in speed or anything, but the whole system will feel snappier and more responsive. If you're the kind of person who has music playing, a onenote window and a browser with a few tabs open, you'll probably feel more comfortable with the extra RAM. fewer of those "oh crap the whole thing is dying a slow death" moments. If you're like my dad who learned computers back in the day when you could only run one program at a time, then no, you don't need it.
This is me for sure! I always seem to have 5 or 6 things going on at once, with multiple tabs on my IE and music playing. And then dumb IE will close without warning in after effort to undermine me. Devil bastard thing.

Since I am not operating on anything nearly as nice as the new system that arrived today (I haven't even opened the box!!), I guess I will mess around with the thing for a couple of weeks and see how it feels before I snag more memory. I just want to have all the kinks worked out before August when schools starts.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:34 pm

misteranthro wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:

This is me for sure! I always seem to have 5 or 6 things going on at once, with multiple tabs on my IE and music playing. And then dumb IE will close without warning in after effort to undermine me. Devil bastard thing.

Since I am not operating on anything nearly as nice as the new system that arrived today (I haven't even opened the box!!), I guess I will mess around with the thing for a couple of weeks and see how it feels before I snag more memory. I just want to have all the kinks worked out before August when schools starts.

Adding ram is by far the cheapest way to make an older system feel new again, and if your new system has an open dimm, I'd say it's a no brainer, it can make even the cheapest computers feel more like their expensive cousins.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vut

New

Post by vut » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:23 pm

misteranthro wrote: This is me for sure! I always seem to have 5 or 6 things going on at once, with multiple tabs on my IE and music playing. And then dumb IE will close without warning in after effort to undermine me. Devil bastard thing.
Do you use any another browsers beside IE (Chrome, Firefox, etc.)? Using IE is one of the easiest ways to catch potential infections on the tubes because hackers know that it's tightly integrated into the operating system.

misteranthro

New

Post by misteranthro » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:23 pm

vut wrote:
misteranthro wrote: This is me for sure! I always seem to have 5 or 6 things going on at once, with multiple tabs on my IE and music playing. And then dumb IE will close without warning in after effort to undermine me. Devil bastard thing.
Do you use any another browsers beside IE (Chrome, Firefox, etc.)? Using IE is one of the easiest ways to catch potential infections on the tubes because hackers know that it's tightly integrated into the operating system.
I do use Firefox as well, but I find myself gravitating toward IE more often because it is the only one on my work computer. I have never heard of Chrome though...is it better/equal/worse than Firefox?

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:39 pm

misteranthro wrote:I have never heard of Chrome though...is it better/equal/worse than Firefox?
Its newer, so there are some things in firefox that aren't in chrome. And a few sites might not work. Its generally faster. And the toolbars at the top aren't as big, so its kinda nice if you're using a netbook.

SkyVan64

New

Post by SkyVan64 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:40 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Not too bad, big keyboard, enough power, under 600

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

vut

New

Post by vut » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:41 pm

misteranthro wrote: I do use Firefox as well, but I find myself gravitating toward IE more often because it is the only one on my work computer. I have never heard of Chrome though...is it better/equal/worse than Firefox?
If that is the case, make sure that your computer is up-to-date and you are running IE 8.

Chrome is a new browser written by Google. It is very solid and was the only browser to walk away from a recent hacking conference alive. If you don't use a lot of extensions on Firefox, then switching over to Chrome is a breeze since there are a lot of similar features. I think it's better than Firefox, but that's for you to try and decide.

vut

New

Post by vut » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:54 pm

SkyVan64 wrote:http://thinkpaddepot.com/html/item_details.asp?id=503

Not too bad, big keyboard, enough power, under 600
Wow, the specs look packed, but it's not a widescreen and the processor is starting to get outdated. Plus, the motherboard cannot support total memory larger than 2GB. Good deal for its price, though.

misteranthro

New

Post by misteranthro » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:26 pm

vut wrote:
misteranthro wrote: I do use Firefox as well, but I find myself gravitating toward IE more often because it is the only one on my work computer. I have never heard of Chrome though...is it better/equal/worse than Firefox?
If that is the case, make sure that your computer is up-to-date and you are running IE 8.

Chrome is a new browser written by Google. It is very solid and was the only browser to walk away from a recent hacking conference alive. If you don't use a lot of extensions on Firefox, then switching over to Chrome is a breeze since there are a lot of similar features. I think it's better than Firefox, but that's for you to try and decide.
I was just reading up on it to cure my ignorance, and now I definitely want to try it out. I use Google's toolbar for all of my searching anyways, so I suspect I will like it as well. Thanks.

TLS007

New

Post by TLS007 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:37 pm

For those looking to buy a macbook, Apple just refreshed their complete lineup today (with the exception of the white macbook). Apple is updating their website right now but I'm hoping the back-to-school free ipod deal will still be going on.

Both the 13" and 15" now have built in batteries that last up to seven hours.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09 ... _airs.html
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09 ... _pros.html

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ddp

New

Post by ddp » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:14 pm

TLS007 wrote:For those looking to buy a macbook, Apple just refreshed their complete lineup today (with the exception of the white macbook). Apple is updating their website right now but I'm hoping the back-to-school free ipod deal will still be going on.

and the macbook air price cut!!! whooo

vut

New

Post by vut » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:32 pm

TLS007 wrote:For those looking to buy a macbook, Apple just refreshed their complete lineup today (with the exception of the white macbook). Apple is updating their website right now but I'm hoping the back-to-school free ipod deal will still be going on.

It looks like they also moved the unibody 13-inch MacBook to the MacBook Pro family, leaving only the white MacBook there. Neither of the 13-inch has discrete graphics. It makes sense, though, since gaming on that tiny screen is a party pooper.

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:47 pm

I am comparing the Lenovo T400 to the new 13" macbook ($1099 after price cut and student discount).

Thoughts?

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:13 pm

Last edited by dood on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mmahre96

New

Post by mmahre96 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:29 pm

Anyone planning on using a MacBook Air?

vut

New

Post by vut » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:33 pm

hoffb86 wrote:I am comparing the Lenovo T400 to the new 13" macbook ($1099 after price cut and student discount).

Thoughts?
Which MacBook? The white model or unibody? The unibody is now a MacBook Pro. In either case, I agree with the previous poster that the T400 is a more ideal laptop for law school in comparison. The one question you will repeatedly ask is, "Is that Mac compatible?" If it is not, then you will have to install Windows on the Mac if you want to use that specific piece of software. This is especially true with law exam software, in which a number of schools continue to use Windows-only solutions.

Ultimately, it doesn't really justify to buy a Mac to run Windows when you can get the same specs at a much lower price with the T400. I matched the specs of the MacBook Pro (without discrete graphics, of course) with the T400 for less than $700. Plus, If you want to run Windows on a Mac, then you would also have to buy a copy of Windows because it doesn't come free.

This does not mean that you shouldn't get a Mac. It just means that it is not ideal in this situation.

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:36 pm

vut wrote:
hoffb86 wrote:I am comparing the Lenovo T400 to the new 13" macbook ($1099 after price cut and student discount).

Thoughts?
Which MacBook? The white model or unibody? The unibody is now a MacBook Pro. In either case, I agree with the previous poster that the T400 is a more ideal laptop for law school in comparison. The one question you will repeatedly ask is, "Is that Mac compatible?" If it is not, then you will have to install Windows on the Mac if you want to use that specific piece of software. This is especially true with law exam software, in which a number of schools continue to use Windows-only solutions.

Ultimately, it doesn't really justify to buy a Mac to run Windows when you can get the same specs at a much lower price with the T400. I matched the specs of the MacBook Pro (without discrete graphics, of course) with the T400 for less than $700. Plus, If you want to run Windows on a Mac, then you would also have to buy a copy of Windows because it doesn't come free.

This does not mean that you shouldn't get a Mac. It just means that it is not ideal in this situation.
The unibody model. I know that my school is about 50/50 mac-PC, and that the exam software will work. I am just trying to decide if the price difference overall is worth it.

vut

New

Post by vut » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:50 pm

hoffb86 wrote:The unibody model. I know that my school is about 50/50 mac-PC, and that the exam software will work. I am just trying to decide if the price difference overall is worth it.
In that case, there is a 15% coupon posted on the website for the T400. Good luck.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Masternater9

New

Post by Masternater9 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:55 pm

I've been looking at the Dell Studio 14Z. Looks pretty light weight and has enough power to do everything I will need it to. Anyone have any insight on this computer? Thanks

malagueno

New

Post by malagueno » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:01 pm

vut wrote:

Thoughts?

Ultimately, it doesn't really justify to buy a Mac to run Windows when you can get the same specs at a much lower price with the T400. I matched the specs of the MacBook Pro (without discrete graphics, of course) with the T400 for less than $700.
Wow! Do you work writing Microsoft ads? It's ridiculous to compare Mac to PC on specs only. Performance on the Mac will blow a PC with equal specs out of the water.

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:03 pm

malagueno wrote:
vut wrote:

Thoughts?

Ultimately, it doesn't really justify to buy a Mac to run Windows when you can get the same specs at a much lower price with the T400. I matched the specs of the MacBook Pro (without discrete graphics, of course) with the T400 for less than $700.
Wow! Do you work writing Microsoft ads? It's ridiculous to compare Mac to PC on specs only. Performance on the Mac will blow a PC with equal specs out of the water.
but why is this the case? I guess i just dont understand how it all works. I hear this and say to myself, "ok, but why, and how?"

malagueno

New

Post by malagueno » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:14 pm

hoffb86 wrote:
malagueno wrote:
vut wrote:

Thoughts?

but why is this the case? I guess i just dont understand how it all works. I hear this and say to myself, "ok, but why, and how?"
Mostly because Vista is a resource hog. It's easier for a Mac to run OS X so your computer runs faster. And from what I hear and have read Windows 7 won't be any better. Add that to the fact that Apple's Snow Leopard will be even smaller and faster.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”