The Ideal Law School Laptop Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
altamira

New

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Post by altamira » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:49 pm

ealwcml wrote:Question to those of you who currently have a Thinkpad T400: is there a keyboard flex issue with your Thinkpad? If so, when did you purchase it?
I second this question. There seems to be significant issues with the T400 keyboards:

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/mess ... ng&page=21

Any thoughts? What would be a good alternative to the T400 in case this is true. I would think the keyboard issues would be really critical for law students.

zozin

Gold

Post by zozin » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:55 pm

If I were to run Windows 7 through BootCamp on a Macbook Pro, would it work just as well as a Windows machine? Are there any problems with the button-less trackpad? The reason I'm asking is because I have a lot of Windows only software, and if I get an Apple laptop, I would need to be sure that everything runs.

Has anyone had any experience dealing with AppleCare? That's the main reason I'm planning on buying a Macbook, I heard if something goes wrong say 2.5 years down the line, you can basically get them to give you the newest version of the Macbook Pro.

Goal

New

Post by Goal » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:00 pm

altamira wrote:
ealwcml wrote:Question to those of you who currently have a Thinkpad T400: is there a keyboard flex issue with your Thinkpad? If so, when did you purchase it?
I second this question. There seems to be significant issues with the T400 keyboards:

Any thoughts? What would be a good alternative to the T400 in case this is true. I would think the keyboard issues would be really critical for law students.
I bought my T400 back in June. The keyboard does not flex unless you apply an insane amount of pressure on it. Ultimately, I can type without any problem. It actually feels really nice typing on it.

From my research before the purchase, the keyboard flex issue was present when the T400 first came out, but was promptly fix and reinforced. I personally like it a lot more than my MacBook, mostly because it is rugged and runs cooler and quieter.
Last edited by Goal on Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:03 pm

altamira wrote:

Seriously, do you people even bother reading posts? There were plenty of responses to this. If your T400 has too much flex, Lenovo is more than happy to send you a brand new, extremely well reinforced keyboard. This happened to me, and the new one is flawless.

Goal

New

Post by Goal » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:08 pm

zozin wrote:If I were to run Windows 7 through BootCamp on a Macbook Pro, would it work just as well as a Windows machine? Are there any problems with the button-less trackpad? The reason I'm asking is because I have a lot of Windows only software, and if I get an Apple laptop, I would need to be sure that everything runs.

Has anyone had any experience dealing with AppleCare? That's the main reason I'm planning on buying a Macbook, I heard if something goes wrong say 2.5 years down the line, you can basically get them to give you the newest version of the Macbook Pro.
You should be able to run Windows 7 at native speed when it comes out. The DVDs that come with the MacBook Pro will have the necessary Windows drivers for your Trackpad and other devices.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ealwcml

New

Post by ealwcml » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:14 pm

Last edited by ealwcml on Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goal

New

Post by Goal » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:59 pm

For those looking at the T400 and not wanting to read through this entire thread: Law School Laptop - Lenovo T400.

lucydog

New

Post by lucydog » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:22 pm

Ordered my Thinkpad X200 Today

Thinkpad X200 12.1" LCD WXGA
Intel Core 2 Duo P8400 2.26ghz 3MB L2 Cache 1066mhz FSB
4GB DDR3 Ram PC-8500
160GB HDD 7200 RPM
Intel Wireless AGN
Touchpoint + Fingerprint
6-cell battery

$890

dbt

Silver

Post by dbt » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:10 pm

the fledgling wrote:
dbt wrote:FYI, my friend found a 1.5 TB external hard drive through Mac today for $160. I paid $110 for my 500 GB hard drive through my school's discount last year, so I'm guessing this is quite the deal.
That is a good deal. Maybe I should re-think the portability thing... Do you know what make he bought?
Well he didn't buy it but I'm going to. It's called an Iomega Prestige 1.5 TB. Here's a link:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TV269ZM/A

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:17 pm

dbt wrote:
the fledgling wrote:
dbt wrote:FYI, my friend found a 1.5 TB external hard drive through Mac today for $160. I paid $110 for my 500 GB hard drive through my school's discount last year, so I'm guessing this is quite the deal.
That is a good deal. Maybe I should re-think the portability thing... Do you know what make he bought?
Well he didn't buy it but I'm going to. It's called an Iomega Prestige 1.5 TB. Here's a link:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/TV269ZM/A

Ah! I'm interested in Iomega, but don't know anyone who has one. CNET gave their eGo series decent reviews. Decisions, decisions.

KingJames

New

Post by KingJames » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:00 pm

Hey guys,

I have a Dell Latitude D620 which I bought three years ago. Its a Intel Dual Core 1.8 GHZ with 1GB RAM and an 80 GB Hard Drive. It works pretty well, and I just got the motherboard, battery, LCD and keyboard replaced through the Dell Warranty.

Anyway, I don't know what sort of computing capability I'll need in law school, but does anyone think I should upgrade right now? Its a good computer but I suppose I could pass it off to my little brother. It weighs 5.6 pounds, which is kind of heavy, and does not have any video outputs (DVI, S-Video etc.) Any opinions would be appreciated, thanks.

webster021

New

Post by webster021 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:25 pm

Just a few things...I plan to by a macbook pro (leaning 15" at this point due to not wanting to squint at something I'm going to be looking at for absurdly long periods of time). In terms of the Windows I'll need to install for Bootcamp so I can run exam software, would you recommend going with XP or Vista? Right now I'm thinking XP because I've worked with it before and everyone seems to hate Vista, but I thought I'd ask because I'm pretty clueless when it comes to these things and you all seem to be really on top of it.

The reason I'm asking now is because I read somewhere (actually in this thread I believe) that I can get the apple people to install everything for me and set up the partition when I buy the new mac and I'd really like to have that happen.

Also, just to clarify, I will need to buy Office for both mac and windows, right? Along with probably either the omni note program for mac or onenote for windows. Is that it? Am I missing anything?

I'm sorry if this is repetitive but I'm just trying to straighten all of this out in my head. Thanks so much for your help!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:48 pm

webster021 wrote:In terms of the Windows I'll need to install for Bootcamp so I can run exam software, would you recommend going with XP or Vista? Right now I'm thinking XP because I've worked with it before and everyone seems to hate Vista, but I thought I'd ask because I'm pretty clueless when it comes to these things and you all seem to be really on top of it.
I don't think anyone should recommend Vista. Do you need it for this fall. Windows 7 comes out in October. If you can get a hold of XP at no cost, then you could put XP on, and buy the $50 upgrade pre-order of Windows 7 and you'd get that in October.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:49 pm

webster021 wrote:Also, just to clarify, I will need to buy Office for both mac and windows, right? Along with probably either the omni note program for mac or onenote for windows. Is that it? Am I missing anything?
Well, this is kind of up to you right. It depends if you want to be able to note take on both OS'. I honestly don't know if there is any real advantage to that.

the fledgling

Bronze

Post by the fledgling » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:49 pm

webster021 wrote:Just a few things...I plan to by a macbook pro (leaning 15" at this point due to not wanting to squint at something I'm going to be looking at for absurdly long periods of time). In terms of the Windows I'll need to install for Bootcamp so I can run exam software, would you recommend going with XP or Vista? Right now I'm thinking XP because I've worked with it before and everyone seems to hate Vista, but I thought I'd ask because I'm pretty clueless when it comes to these things and you all seem to be really on top of it.

The reason I'm asking now is because I read somewhere (actually in this thread I believe) that I can get the apple people to install everything for me and set up the partition when I buy the new mac and I'd really like to have that happen.

Also, just to clarify, I will need to buy Office for both mac and windows, right? Along with probably either the omni note program for mac or onenote for windows. Is that it? Am I missing anything?

I'm sorry if this is repetitive but I'm just trying to straighten all of this out in my head. Thanks so much for your help!
I would check with your school before you buy windows for your Mac. Mine doesn't require it to run the exam software. Microsoft Office is worthwhile, though I plan on buying Circus Ponies' Notebook for note-taking and outlining (finished my 30-day trial; it's pretty nifty).

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:33 pm

the fledgling wrote:I would check with your school before you buy windows for your Mac. Mine doesn't require it to run the exam software.
Yea, I believe there are varying levels of what is required to run the exam software.

Johny5

New

Post by Johny5 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:04 am

Thanks so much for sharing such useful information

comparatif assurance voiture

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:29 am

Can anyone recommend the best (cheapest and most reliable) source to get an external monitor? I'm looking to get one for home use with my macbook...

Also, if someone wants to recommend a good monitor, that would be great... However, I am not looking to spend a lot of money on it.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:32 am

hoffb86 wrote:Can anyone recommend the best (cheapest and most reliable) source to get an external monitor? I'm looking to get one for home use with my macbook...

Also, if someone wants to recommend a good monitor, that would be great... However, I am not looking to spend a lot of money on it.
Hoff, how big do you want it? I can find you a great Jew-deal in no time at all.

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:34 am

coolkatz321 wrote:
hoffb86 wrote:Can anyone recommend the best (cheapest and most reliable) source to get an external monitor? I'm looking to get one for home use with my macbook...

Hoff, how big do you want it? I can find you a great Jew-deal in no time at all.
How big is too big? and how good a jew-deal are we talking? PM me? I'm not looking huge, I AM looking for cheap though, cuz damn, that macbook hurt my pocket....

Foozle

Bronze

Post by Foozle » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:36 am

hoffb86 wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:

How big is too big? and how good a jew-deal are we talking? PM me? I'm not looking huge, I AM looking for cheap though, cuz damn, that macbook hurt my pocket....
http://www.newegg.com

~19/21 in. is probably the biggest size you'll want. A 19 will set you back around $100 or $110

Alternatively, you can hit up craigslist.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:37 am

hoffb86 wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:

PM sent

webster021

New

Post by webster021 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:53 am

Thanks for the responses! I do need to run windows for the exam software....from the literature I got from my school it says my school is primarily a PC environment and says that for exams Mac users must have Leopard with Boot Camp and will need to purchase and install Windows.

Looks like I'm going with XP (I'll try to find it cheap somewhere like my bookstore) and then I'll upgrade to Windows 7 in October.

Ok so here's my shopping list, please let me know if there's something missing or wrong (please don't tell me it's "wrong" to buy a mac for all you pc lovers out there):

Macbook pro computer
Office 2008 for Mac
Windows XP
Omni note or one note (haven't decided on that one yet, I might also just use Word)

Also, do I need to buy anti-virus software?

Thanks again!

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:55 am

webster021 wrote:Thanks for the responses! I do need to run windows for the exam software....from the literature I got from my school it says my school is primarily a PC environment and says that for exams Mac users must have Leopard with Boot Camp and will need to purchase and install Windows.

Looks like I'm going with XP (I'll try to find it cheap somewhere like my bookstore) and then I'll upgrade to Windows 7 in October.

Ok so here's my shopping list, please let me know if there's something missing or wrong (please don't tell me it's "wrong" to buy a mac for all you pc lovers out there):

Macbook pro computer
Office 2008 for Mac
Windows XP
Omni note or one note (haven't decided on that one yet, I might also just use Word)

Thanks again!
If you weren't installing windows, you wouldn't need anti-virus, but because you are, you will likely need it on the windows portion.... also, some schools will require you to have antivirus software on the mac portion too.... most schools have licenses for norton, so you can get it really cheap and not have to pay a yearly fee... so I would get that from your school if you can!

Foozle

Bronze

Post by Foozle » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:56 am

webster021 wrote:Thanks for the responses! I do need to run windows for the exam software....from the literature I got from my school it says my school is primarily a PC environment and says that for exams Mac users must have Leopard with Boot Camp and will need to purchase and install Windows.

Macbook pro computer
Office 2008 for Mac
Windows XP

Thanks again!
I'm going to assume that your new computer will come with a year or two of antivirus.

If you need to buy it, I'd stay away from McAfee. It's crap. Maybe Norton too, unless you're getting that through your school since it's cheap/free.

There's some pretty good free antivirus programs out there, though I don't know of any for Mac. For Windows, AVG (http://free.avg.com/) is what I use.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”