The Ideal Law School Laptop Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Matlock31

New

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Post by Matlock31 » Tue May 19, 2009 7:59 pm

New to the thread, haven't read through all the pages...

Anyways, I need to buy from Best Buy (18 months, interest-free on the BBY Card) I'm looking for thoughts about two models that have caught my eye:

The Sony
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8038553190
-Sleek
-Good-looking
-Nice appearance
-You see what I'm getting at

or

The Dell
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8036213682
-Unknown
-economical
-more power for the dollar

Looking at the specs, it looks like the Dell is the better choice. There's just something about that Sony that catches my eye. I've heard the battery life on Sony's can be pretty dismal. Are the listed battery life times fairly accurate for laptops? Any thoughts/experiences with these models or similar ones? Also, feel free with any other reco's (from Best Buy), I want to keep it at a max of $649

alexb240

Bronze

Post by alexb240 » Tue May 19, 2009 8:10 pm

I have a Lenovo X61 and it's great. It's very light-weight and portable, but has a nice size screen and the keypad is fantastic. You should attempt to inquire with your law school as to whether they have deals with specific companies (that's how I got mine) and also as to what laptops IT services supports and has parts for. One of the reasons I got the Lenovo is because it can be repaired here; should something happen, I no exactly where to take it and don't need to (overly) panic.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Tue May 19, 2009 10:16 pm

Last edited by dood on Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Wed May 20, 2009 8:44 am

Just got the Samsung NC10 yesterday. It will take some getting used to, but I think it will work just fine.

HOWEVER, IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING ONE, PLEASE READ THIS!!! Upon your very first startup, you will be prompted by Samsung Recovery Utility to partition your hard drive into 2 drives, C and D. If you don't click the Advanced Options button, it will give you two drives of equal size, approximately 72 GB each. Conventional wisdom says that most people use C to run windows and other apps and then use D to keep all data - sounds like a good idea to me, since if you need to reload windows, you just recover and reload C drive from your back-up utility and your data on D is safe. BUT YOU DON'T NEED 72 GB TO RUN WINDOWS AND APPS and the default setting will basically waste 40+ GB! Most of what I read suggests setting C to 25-30GB and the rest for D. I missed the Advanced options button and am in the process of reformatting. You have to have an external DVD drive to reformat, which I don't currently have. Going to pick one up today (but I guess I needed one anyways so I don't have to load programs through a Flash Drive. So a word of warning!

Other than this little snafu for me, I think it's going to be a sweet little machine.

jake768

New

Post by jake768 » Wed May 20, 2009 8:52 am

dood wrote:I just read the thread from start to finish and it was enough to convince me to go with T400. I'm ready to order on Lenovo's website but I started looking at the Y430 or Y450 - why not these VS. the T400?

I am more concerned about how my laptop looks because I will only be using this laptop for law school, and any new laptop today will run Word, OneNote, IE, etc just fine. I have a custom built multimedia center for games, movies, pron, etc.

also curious... looks like Y450 has more memory (3GB), less powerful processor (2Ghz, 800MHz, same hard drive, and comes stock with bigger battery (6 cell)...

we'll see what the computer savvy have to say here i guess

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:13 am

Matlock31 wrote:New to the thread, haven't read through all the pages...

Anyways, I need to buy from Best Buy (18 months, interest-free on the BBY Card) I'm looking for thoughts about two models that have caught my eye:

The Sony
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8038553190
-Sleek
-Good-looking
-Nice appearance
-You see what I'm getting at

or

The Dell
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8036213682
-Unknown
-economical
-more power for the dollar

Looking at the specs, it looks like the Dell is the better choice. There's just something about that Sony that catches my eye. I've heard the battery life on Sony's can be pretty dismal. Are the listed battery life times fairly accurate for laptops? Any thoughts/experiences with these models or similar ones? Also, feel free with any other reco's (from Best Buy), I want to keep it at a max of $649

I have not really looked into Dell or HP because i heard they use cheap parts and they tend to brake down quickly. My company laptop is a dell latitude however, and it works just fine and ive had no problems with it. But i think if you go with dell you would be getting the inspiron right? take that for waht you will

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Wed May 20, 2009 9:14 am

alexb240 wrote:I have a Lenovo X61 and it's great. It's very light-weight and portable, but has a nice size screen and the keypad is fantastic. You should attempt to inquire with your law school as to whether they have deals with specific companies (that's how I got mine) and also as to what laptops IT services supports and has parts for. One of the reasons I got the Lenovo is because it can be repaired here; should something happen, I no exactly where to take it and don't need to (overly) panic.

did you get the warranty plan with lenovo, or was it something through your school?

DId you buy your laptop through lenovo or through your school?

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Wed May 20, 2009 11:17 am

OK, so, I am definately going to go with a Lenovo. I think the T400 will be the best fit for me.

I am worried about one thing though. I want to upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes out. What specs do I need to get to ensure the OS will run efficiently. Will I have to buy the new OS when it comes out or will be able to upgrade for free. What are everyone else's thoughts on this topic.

Thanks.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Wed May 20, 2009 1:46 pm

Is everyone getting a new laptop for law school?

Mine is from 2005 and it hasn't crashed and burned yet. I am the type of person who refuses to replace things until they absolutely have to be replaced - but now I am wondering if I should get a new one. I have this irrational fear that mine will die in the middle of law school, when I'll be too damn broke to replace it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Wed May 20, 2009 1:49 pm

IzziesGal wrote:Is everyone getting a new laptop for law school?

Mine is from 2005 and it hasn't crashed and burned yet. I am the type of person who refuses to replace things until they absolutely have to be replaced - but now I am wondering if I should get a new one. I have this irrational fear that mine will die in the middle of law school, when I'll be too damn broke to replace it.
I would certainly get a new one. You don't want it "crashing and burning" during a final exam.

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Wed May 20, 2009 1:52 pm

nitsudrx wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:Is everyone getting a new laptop for law school?

I would certainly get a new one. You don't want it "crashing and burning" during a final exam.
Can you buy it for me? (bats eyelashes, assuming you're a guy) :wink:

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Wed May 20, 2009 2:00 pm

Hey Izzies Gal, I love your 'tar, gosh what a cliff hanger!

IzziesGal

Silver

Post by IzziesGal » Wed May 20, 2009 2:01 pm

angiej wrote:Hey Izzies Gal, I love your 'tar, gosh what a cliff hanger!
I know!!!! This was the best season finale this year, by far. I never saw it coming!!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Wed May 20, 2009 2:07 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
angiej wrote:Hey Izzies Gal, I love your 'tar, gosh what a cliff hanger!
I know!!!! This was the best season finale this year, by far. I never saw it coming!!
Me either! I found myself so tied up in it that all weekend I was like "omg no, poor George!!!!" as though I know him personally!

matty

Bronze

Post by matty » Wed May 20, 2009 2:16 pm

jake768 wrote:
dood wrote:I just read the thread from start to finish and it was enough to convince me to go with T400. I'm ready to order on Lenovo's website but I started looking at the Y430 or Y450 - why not these VS. the T400?

I am more concerned about how my laptop looks because I will only be using this laptop for law school, and any new laptop today will run Word, OneNote, IE, etc just fine. I have a custom built multimedia center for games, movies, pron, etc.

also curious... looks like Y450 has more memory (3GB), less powerful processor (2Ghz, 800MHz, same hard drive, and comes stock with bigger battery (6 cell)...

we'll see what the computer savvy have to say here i guess
The Y series is the IdeaPad line, correct? I'm not knowledgeable enough to enumerate all the differences, but the ThinkPad is Lenovo's premier business-class laptop line, putting it a tier above the Ideapad. The TP is made to withstand abuse and keep working--it has a metal rollcage inside and even a drainage system under the keyboard in case you spill liquid on it. I'd assume the TP is just made with higher quality parts, but I can't say for sure if that extends to components like the processor/RAM etc. All that specs you mentioned on the IP can be customized for the TP, but yeah, you'll be starting from a higher base price. I went with the TP because I'm going to be lugging this thing all over for three years, so durability was a primary concern.
sentinal5656 wrote:OK, so, I am definately going to go with a Lenovo. I think the T400 will be the best fit for me.

I am worried about one thing though. I want to upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes out. What specs do I need to get to ensure the OS will run efficiently. Will I have to buy the new OS when it comes out or will be able to upgrade for free. What are everyone else's thoughts on this topic.

Thanks.
I'd say at least 2.4 GHz and 2 GB of RAM. You could stand to have more memory than that, but it is much cheaper to buy the RAM and install it yourself (which is quite straightforward on a T400) than it is to pay for a manufacturer uppgrade. The Windows 7 release candidate edition is available now for free download on Windows site, but it will expire on or shortly before June 1, 2010 iirc -- so you will eventually need to buy a copy if you want it. I'll probably just wait until I'm at school and know more about compatibility issues before getting Windows 7, plus the school's computer dept. might have the official release (slated for before Christmas) for a discount.

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Wed May 20, 2009 3:32 pm

Can anyone give advice on which OS to get with the lenovo T400? I currently use XP with both my current laptop and my desktop but I need a new laptop for law school coming up. It gives a few options:

Windows Vista Business
Windows Vista Business 64
Windows Vista Business with Windows XP Professional Downgrade
Windows Vista Ultimate - Add $70
Windows Vista Ultimate with Windows XP Professional Downgrade - Add $70

Also what is the difference between CCFL backlight and an LED Backlight - which one is preferable?

And how much total memory should I have? 2, 3, or 4 GB?

jetlagz28

Bronze

Post by jetlagz28 » Wed May 20, 2009 3:39 pm

bonesinger wrote: EDIT: http://www.slickdeals.net/permadeal/207 ... -616--More

see I got screwed, 100 bux cheaper, haha

I would jump on that dell deal I just posted, those laptops are pretty sick, they can handle alot of stuff
I jumped on this dea and even added a few extra items. One Netbook and one Laptop for a combined total of $1000 = Awesome!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jpasqu1

New

Post by jpasqu1 » Wed May 20, 2009 3:42 pm

kak23 wrote:Can anyone give advice on which OS to get with the lenovo T400? I currently use XP with both my current laptop and my desktop but I need a new laptop for law school coming up. It gives a few options:

Windows Vista Business

Also what is the difference between CCFL backlight and an LED Backlight - which one is preferable?

If you are only using it for schoolwork/dvd playing you only need the more basic Vista.
LED Backlight is supposed to be better for battery life.
2GB should be good if only for school/dvd/internet.

djshack

New

Post by djshack » Wed May 20, 2009 4:00 pm

jpasqu1 wrote:
kak23 wrote:Can anyone give advice on which OS to get with the lenovo T400? I currently use XP with both my current laptop and my desktop but I need a new laptop for law school coming up. It gives a few options:

Windows Vista Business

If you are only using it for schoolwork/dvd playing you only need the more basic Vista.
There should be a Home Premium version offered. Go with that.

As for LED vs. CCFL, yes, LED is better. However, unless stock is better, Lenovo has recently only offered WXGA+ in CCFL (vs. WXGA in LED). The difference is WXGA+ has 1440x900 resolution vs. WXGA's 1280x800 (I think). The 1440x900 to me is better than having an LED backlight. Of course, they used to offer WXGA+ in LED too, before all the shipping delays.

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:04 pm

if i buy the laptop soon, wont they upgrade my OS for me for free?

i know in the XP to vista period, this took place when you bought a computer within a close time frame.

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Wed May 20, 2009 4:07 pm

jpasqu1 wrote:

Windows Vista Business

The only OS that costs extra is the last 2 for $70 more. If that's the case should I look at any of the other options? And it doesn't give me an option for the home premium. I'm looking at the most expensive Lenovo T400 for around $1250 starting out:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/notebooks/thi ... =US1A18202&

I'm still debating on MacBook vs. Lenovo though.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:13 pm

go with lenovo. you get more for your money and you dont have to deal with compatibility.

djshack

New

Post by djshack » Wed May 20, 2009 4:42 pm

kak23 wrote:
jpasqu1 wrote:

Windows Vista Business

The only OS that costs extra is the last 2 for $70 more. If that's the case should I look at any of the other options? And it doesn't give me an option for the home premium. I'm looking at the most expensive Lenovo T400 for around $1250 starting out:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/notebooks/thi ... =US1A18202&

I'm still debating on MacBook vs. Lenovo though.
Ah, alright. The highest-end one must include Business by default. Business should have more than enough features for you (Ultimate just isn't worth it). If you ever plan on going over 3 GB of RAM, get the 64-bit version (it's the future, anyways).

And yeah, Lenovo over MacBook. I just gave up five+ years of being a Mac user for a Lenovo. Not bad.

FL135

New

Post by FL135 » Wed May 20, 2009 8:47 pm

How do I get a lenovo t400 with the 64bit operating system. It does not seem to be an option when customizing the computer on lenovo's websight.

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Wed May 20, 2009 9:12 pm

Should I get the computer with the 4, 6, or 9 cell battery? Is the 6 enough? I heard it makes the computer larger... any truth to this. Thanks.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”