The Ideal Law School Laptop Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Spinoza

New

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Post by Spinoza » Tue May 05, 2009 10:05 am

1000bmr wrote:
Spinoza wrote:My school has a program with Dell that involves only the 13 inch E4300 and the 14 inch E6400. Anyone have any experience with these? The E4300 would be great for portability at under 4 pounds, but I sometimes here people say Dell are bad at making pooters.
I have an E1505 that I've extremely happy with (except the ATI graphics card, bleh). Dell makes great computers, but the customer service part of their business is absolutely awful to the point where you might consider paying more or settling for less to buy elsewhere. And under no conditions should you use Dell financing.
Thanks for the advice! The main reason I want to go with Dell is that the school has a program set up with them, so we have a couple of Dell certified technicians on staff who can fix your computer if stuff goes wrong, so I don't think that will be a problem.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue May 05, 2009 10:11 am

angiej wrote:I like the hp mini and the asus eee pc which has up to 9 hours of battery life! The MSI wind has the smallest keyboard of all of the netbooks, which is only 80% of regular size. Most other netbooks have keyboards around 90 to 95% normal size.
Hm, are the MSI WindBooks that are 10'' still only 80% of the keyboard. I would have thought they would be bigger.

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Tue May 05, 2009 11:01 am

I should be getting in my Samsung NC10 Netbook in the next three weeks. Will post a review of it on here after I receive it. I will even put it in my backpack and ride my bike to the law school (3 miles one way) and let you know how the commute goes.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Tue May 05, 2009 5:30 pm

1000bmr wrote:I'm not really sure why concern over reboots runs so deep in this thread
boredom

djshack

New

Post by djshack » Tue May 05, 2009 7:21 pm

I'd just like to add that I've had my T400 (non-LED screen) for a week or so now, and it's pretty freakin' awesome (minus whatever you don't like about Vista). It's lighter than I imagined, 6-cell battery can get 4-5 hours of life (expected), and the keyboard is great. I also find myself using the little stub for the mouse (instead of the track pad) when I don't have a mouse plugged in. I thought I'd hate that and always use the trackpad, but it actually seems easier. Intersting stuff.

Edit: If you're using the Lenovo Power Manager, there's a sleep option for closing the lid called "Instant Resume." This does exactly what it says. You open the lid, and it comes back up instantly. Just like a Mac (hinting at that past argument on here).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue May 05, 2009 9:35 pm

UNC2009 wrote:I should be getting in my Samsung NC10 Netbook in the next three weeks. Will post a review of it on here after I receive it. I will even put it in my backpack and ride my bike to the law school (3 miles one way) and let you know how the commute goes.
Hey UNC2009, I just checked out the NC10 in person, and I must say I was pretty impressed.
Out of all the netbooks I've checked out (haven't seen an MSI in-person yet), I'd say I like the keyboard of this Samsung the best, much better than the others. The touchpad is pretty good too. The other thing that I really like about it is that the screen is "Anti-Glare" (Matte). I don't know why glossy screens are so popular (well, actually its because glossy screens look "nice & shinny). The only bad part about the Samsungs is that they are about $50 more than competing notebooks, (and only 2 of the 3 USB ports are powered). Now I guess I should see if its worth the extra money for the N110 or N120, but I definitely like the Samsungs.

tome

Bronze

Post by tome » Tue May 05, 2009 11:27 pm

Lots of people seem to be going for the T400. Is the reason people are staying away from the X301 the price?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed May 06, 2009 2:49 am

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

tinman

Bronze

Post by tinman » Wed May 06, 2009 10:39 am

I am planning to go with a netbook + MacBook combo. Does anyone know if new models will come out this summer? I will not really need a computer until August, but it would be nice to have one now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Wed May 06, 2009 10:50 am

tinman wrote:I am planning to go with a netbook + MacBook combo. Does anyone know if new models will come out this summer? I will not really need a computer until August, but it would be nice to have one now.
There's a slight macbook refreshing coming (probably after the June WWDC). As was previously mentioned in this thread wait for their back to school sale before buying. Apple might also be releasing a line of more affordable macbooks to compete with netbooks, but that's just speculation. http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09 ... s_say.html

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Wed May 06, 2009 10:50 am

superflush wrote:
UNC2009 wrote:I should be getting in my Samsung NC10 Netbook in the next three weeks. Will post a review of it on here after I receive it. I will even put it in my backpack and ride my bike to the law school (3 miles one way) and let you know how the commute goes.
Hey UNC2009, I just checked out the NC10 in person, and I must say I was pretty impressed.
Out of all the netbooks I've checked out (haven't seen an MSI in-person yet), I'd say I like the keyboard of this Samsung the best, much better than the others. The touchpad is pretty good too. The other thing that I really like about it is that the screen is "Anti-Glare" (Matte). I don't know why glossy screens are so popular (well, actually its because glossy screens look "nice & shinny). The only bad part about the Samsungs is that they are about $50 more than competing notebooks, (and only 2 of the 3 USB ports are powered). Now I guess I should see if its worth the extra money for the N110 or N120, but I definitely like the Samsungs.
I ordered the NC10 last week, but have not gotten it yet. I didn't even know about the N110. Do you think it's worth returning the NC10 and getting the N110 or the N120?

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed May 06, 2009 6:16 pm

UNC2009 wrote:I ordered the NC10 last week, but have not gotten it yet. I didn't even know about the N110. Do you think it's worth returning the NC10 and getting the N110 or the N120?
Not necessarily, in fact, I think I'm leaning towards the NC10.
The NC10 is $414 on Amazon, the N110 is $458, & the N120 is $433.
The N110/N120 has a glossy screen while the NC10 has a matte screen, and I'd probably like the matte better.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed May 06, 2009 6:17 pm

tinman wrote:I am planning to go with a netbook + MacBook combo. Does anyone know if new models will come out this summer? I will not really need a computer until August, but it would be nice to have one now.
Yes, there should be new models of MacBooks and netbooks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Wed May 06, 2009 9:27 pm

superflush wrote:
UNC2009 wrote:I ordered the NC10 last week, but have not gotten it yet. I didn't even know about the N110. Do you think it's worth returning the NC10 and getting the N110 or the N120?
The N110/N120 has a glossy screen while the NC10 has a matte screen, and I'd probably like the matte better.
Is the additional 2 hours on the battery on the N110 (over the NC10) a dealmaker for you? And how about the larger mouse pad? I don't mind the additional $40 or so, if it's worth it...

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed May 06, 2009 10:00 pm

UNC2009 wrote:
superflush wrote:
Is the additional 2 hours on the battery on the N110 (over the NC10) a dealmaker for you? And how about the larger mouse pad? I don't mind the additional $40 or so, if it's worth it...
Eh, I think the glossy vs. matte screen is more of an issue for me.

vut

New

Post by vut » Wed May 06, 2009 10:32 pm

I've been reading TLS for awhile, and this thread persuaded me to sign up for an account because there are a few flaky comments that I'd like to point out.

1. Mac's sleep mode feature is better than PCs/ PCs can't go to sleep.
To those making this comment, are you still running Windows XP? Windows XP is notoriously inefficient at sleep mode. And in XP, your computer actually is set to hibernate, rather than sleep (by default). Big difference there.
Fortunately, this feature was fixed and greatly improved with the introduction of Windows Vista. In Vista, your computer is, by default, set to sleep when you close the lid. Just like a Mac, right? I haven't had a problem with it ever since I got my PC a year go.

Although it is always recommended that you shut down your computer at night when you are done for the day. It's good practice, even with a Mac.

2. PCs suck!
Like I said before, a lot of problems stem from the fact that people abuse their machine and/or refuse to upgrade to Windows Vista. If you are currently running Vista, remove all unnecessary crapware that came with your computer. They bog down your computer without providing much service. Try this even if you still have Windows XP. It works wonders!

One thing I like about Macs is that they only provide you with what you need. On the PC side, it's not Microsoft's fault. It's your computer manufacturer putting on those crapware to keep prices low. Try a Windows OEM or stock installation disc and you'll notice the difference.

3. UAC in Vista!
You can turn it off. It's a feature, not a mandatory service.

What are my street creds? I use Linux, Windows, and Mac. Hehe, what a nerd. I'm graduating with a degree in Computer Science and Math, and starting 1L this fall. I believe my focus is going to be Intellectual Property.

By the way, my upgrade laptop for law school is going to be a $600-700 Lenovo Y430. It's got the perfect screen size, sufficient specs and durable casing (I hate scratches). It's not made for gaming, but that's not my purpose of going to law school. Also, unless the tools we're using are web-based, there's no point of toting my Mac around because it's safe to say that most software are Windows-based. Bleh, no more visualization or BootCamp. If I'm spending the majority of my time in Windows, then why the heck am I using a Mac?

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu May 07, 2009 12:39 am

vut wrote: 1. Mac's sleep mode feature is better than PCs/ PCs can't go to sleep.
To those making this comment, are you still running Windows XP? Windows XP is notoriously inefficient at sleep mode. And in XP, your computer actually is set to hibernate, rather than sleep (by default). Big difference there.
Yea, I am still running XP. Sorry, I didn't get the memo to switch to Vista. I actually got the memo that said Vista was a horrible OS. I guess a lot of people got that.
Also, in XP I can either hibernate or put in stand by.
vut wrote:2. PCs suck!
Remove all unnecessary crapware that came with your computer. They bog down your computer without providing much service. Try this even if you still have Windows XP. It works wonders!

One thing I like about Macs is that they only provide you with what you need. On the PC side, it's not Microsoft's fault. It's your computer manufacturer putting on those crapware to keep prices low. Try a Windows OEM or stock installation disc and you'll notice the difference.
Wow, wouldn't it be great if they didn't ship a bunch of crapware with windows machines. You're right about this, and a fresh install always helps, but you are asking everyone out there to do a new install of Windows when you buy a brand new computer. A lot of people won't want to do that. How about a principle where your computer comes without crapware on it. Far out concept, isn't it? To everybody out there, if you don't want to have to mess around with your computer just to make it function as it should, then get a Mac!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vut

New

Post by vut » Thu May 07, 2009 4:34 am

superflush wrote: Yea, I am still running XP. Sorry, I didn't get the memo to switch to Vista. I actually got the memo that said Vista was a horrible OS. I guess a lot of people got that.
Also, in XP I can either hibernate or put in stand by..
Really? Sarcasm?

How can you form an opinion about something you never even bothered to run full time? Did XP come with your computer? A lot of people try to install Vista on computers that came out about the time of XP's launch. It doesn't always work. Same thing with Macs. Try running Mac OS 10.5 on a G4. You're forgetting to consider the other side. There are informed people running Vista, too.

Plus, I did not say XP could not hibernate or stand by(sleep). I said Vista does a better job of it.
superflush wrote: Wow, wouldn't it be great if they didn't ship a bunch of crapware with windows machines. You're right about this, and a fresh install always helps, but you are asking everyone out there to do a new install of Windows when you buy a brand new computer. A lot of people won't want to do that. How about a principle where your computer comes without crapware on it. Far out concept, isn't it? To everybody out there, if you don't want to have to mess around with your computer just to make it function as it should, then get a Mac!!
I agree with you that getting a computer without crapware would be nice. Though you have to acknowledge it is one of the ways computer manufacturers do to offer affordable computers, especially to people with a budget. And if you don't need something, you uninstall it. Crapware is not virus. I believe you are assuming that people of our generation have little clues about maintaining computers. We grew up playing with them.

I never said everybody should do a new install of Windows when you buy a brand new computer. You are twisting my words. I brought up the fact about retail Windows installation disc to illustrate another point.

That being said, do you know what crapware is? Macs have them, too.

I hate flame wars and I don't ever want to start one. The reason why I brought up these points were because I'd like to correct a few biased ones. Like I said, I run Linux, Windows, and Mac. I don't discriminate, but I do understand that each one has its own limitations.

Nietzsche

New

Post by Nietzsche » Thu May 07, 2009 6:05 am

Dell studio 15 for me!

Now to figure out how to dual boot it as a Vista/ Hackintosh/ Ubuntu hybrid.....

jpin22

New

Post by jpin22 » Thu May 07, 2009 10:06 am

Im thinking of buying the new Mac 13 inch but worried about not being able to use onenote on it. Is VMware easy to figure out how to use? What would I have to buy in total to have microsoft office run on both mac and windows? Anybody with any experience in this and the best way to do it I would appreciate it.

vut

New

Post by vut » Thu May 07, 2009 2:06 pm

jpin22 wrote:Im thinking of buying the new Mac 13 inch but worried about not being able to use onenote on it. Is VMware easy to figure out how to use? What would I have to buy in total to have microsoft office run on both mac and windows? Anybody with any experience in this and the best way to do it I would appreciate it.
OneNote is currently not available for Mac. That means you have to either rely on BootCamp or VM to use it. You need a licensed copy of the Windows operating system to do this.

And if you're thinking about using the rest of the Office Suite (Word, Excel, etc), that also means that you have to buy two licenses, one for Windows and one for Mac. Unless, of course, you virtualize Windows and only install Office in that environment. Although I've never heard of anybody emulating an entire Office Suite to use full time before. It's risky, complicated and inefficient.

I've tried both VMware and BootCamp. Windows in VMware is functional but laggy and responses are noticeably delayed. BootCamp works but that means you're working entirely in Windows. You have to restart when you're done to go back to the Mac OS. Overall, both of these solutions are great if you need to fire up Windows software from time to time. But if you are going to use OneNote full-time (to record lectures and do homework), you are spending more time in Windows than you do in your Mac OS. You're paying for something you don't use every often then.

If you are keen on getting a MacBook, it's better to forgo OneNote and look for an alternative that is Mac compatible. OpenOffice is also a good Microsoft Office Suite replacement. I have Office on my PC and OpenOffice on my Mac. The file formats are now compatible with each other so I use DropBox to sync up my documents so I never miss a beat. Although I'm planning on moving my workspace over to Windows entirely. Good thing I don't have the unibody Mac because I would hate to leave it behind.

By the way, you can definitely right-click on a Mac.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Thu May 07, 2009 2:43 pm

I just want to confirm, and I think someone at some point, possibly through PM confirmed this for me but I forgot :oops: . . . . if I get a netbook, which has Windows XP can I install Microsoft 2007 as opposed to 2003? I get both from my school but want to do 2007.

wardboro

Bronze

Post by wardboro » Thu May 07, 2009 2:58 pm

yes, Office 2007 will run just fine on your netbook. I'm assuming 1GB ram.

angiej

Silver

Post by angiej » Thu May 07, 2009 3:12 pm

wardboro wrote:yes, Office 2007 will run just fine on your netbook. I'm assuming 1GB ram.
Yep, 160GB Hard Drive, 1GB RAM.

ddp

New

Post by ddp » Thu May 07, 2009 3:17 pm

vut wrote:I've been reading TLS for awhile, and this thread persuaded me to sign up for an account because there are a few flaky comments that I'd like to point out.

1. Mac's sleep mode feature is better than PCs/ PCs can't go to sleep.
Fortunately, this feature was fixed and greatly improved with the introduction of Windows Vista. In Vista, your computer is, by default, set to sleep when you close the lid. Just like a Mac, right? I haven't had a problem with it ever since I got my PC a year go.

Although it is always recommended that you shut down your computer at night when you are done for the day. It's good practice, even with a Mac.

2. PCs suck!
Like I said before, a lot of problems stem from the fact that people abuse their machine and/or refuse to upgrade to Windows Vista. If you are currently running Vista, remove all unnecessary crapware that came with your computer. They bog down your computer without providing much service. Try this even if you still have Windows XP. It works wonders!

3. UAC in Vista!
You can turn it off. It's a feature, not a mandatory service.

What are my street creds? I use Linux, Windows, and Mac. Hehe, what a nerd. I'm graduating with a degree in Computer Science and Math, and starting 1L this fall. I believe my focus is going to be Intellectual Property.

By the way, my upgrade laptop for law school is going to be a $600-700 Lenovo Y430. It's got the perfect screen size, sufficient specs and durable casing (I hate scratches). It's not made for gaming, but that's not my purpose of going to law school. Also, unless the tools we're using are web-based, there's no point of toting my Mac around because it's safe to say that most software are Windows-based. Bleh, no more visualization or BootCamp. If I'm spending the majority of my time in Windows, then why the heck am I using a Mac?
This is undeniably the credited response. I just need an excuse to get the macbook air.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”