The Ideal Law School Laptop Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
356a

New

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Post by 356a » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:53 am

coolkatz321 wrote:
356a wrote:Not the same but if they work for you go for it
:roll:
You don't need shitty speakers and a camera in a monitor. There is absolutely no logical or sane reason to spend $900 on an Apple monitor. None. They're overpriced and the quality simply isn't in a league with the Dell one.

My last post on this. Do what you want. I don't believe the
quality or technology is the same. But hey,
it's worth it to me. To you it's not.
Since I can buy it for$750 the extra money
doesn't matter to me. To you it does.

So what?

I love it and am buying 2 more

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:59 am

bigben wrote:
superflush wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:The Apple one is priced twice as much because of the logo, don't delude yourself. The newest Dell monitors use the I-IPS displays as well, and they exceed the quality of the Apple monitors for half the price. No sane person would spend $900 on a 24" monitor.
I believe the 24inch Dell UltraSharp is a good alternative to the Apple Display. Its half the cost.
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... u=320-6272
There you go, I guess I was right after all. Specs are even better than the Apple.
I mentioned the 24inch Dell UltraSharp's because I believe they are a popular alternative for people adding to their MacBook Pro

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:19 am

356a wrote:
coolkatz321 wrote:
356a wrote:Not the same but if they work for you go for it
:roll:
You don't need shitty speakers and a camera in a monitor. There is absolutely no logical or sane reason to spend $900 on an Apple monitor. None. They're overpriced and the quality simply isn't in a league with the Dell one.

My last post on this. Do what you want. I don't believe the
quality or technology is the same. But hey,
it's worth it to me. To you it's not.
Since I can buy it for$750 the extra money
doesn't matter to me. To you it does.

So what?

I love it and am buying 2 more
You don't have to believe it; it just lumps you in with the rest of the true Apple fanboys who are in denial about the products they own. The Macbook is a great product, but the monitors are absurdly overpriced and the picture they produce simply can't compete with monitors half their price. I find it hilarious that you're wasting money like that.

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:06 am

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8093002019

I bought this Sony Vaio laptop...what do you all think?

I also bought this desktop as an update to my previous desktop:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8091190691

Overall I feel happy with my purchase. Sure the desktop isn't extremely powerful but for what I'm using it for it seems more than enough.

Plus I got the 3 year plans on both to cover me throughout law school.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:50 am

kak23 wrote:http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8093002019

Overall I feel happy with my purchase. Sure the desktop isn't extremely powerful but for what I'm using it for it seems more than enough.

If you can return the Dell, do it...Staples has an amazing deal on an HP, and it's only $80 more and well worth it IMO.

http://www.staples.com/HP-Pavilion-p614 ... G71:DP4119

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rocky Estoppel

Bronze

Post by Rocky Estoppel » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:40 am

coolkatz321 wrote:
kak23 wrote:http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 8093002019

If you can return the Dell, do it...Staples has an amazing deal on an HP, and it's only $80 more and well worth it IMO.

http://www.staples.com/HP-Pavilion-p614 ... G71:DP4119
That does look nice and it has some great specs on it. However, I got a deal on the Dell that came with a nice 19 inch wide-screen monitor and a all-in-one printer. It's really all I need and if I was to add the monitor and printer to that HP it would it would be around $300-400 more than the Dell I bought. I don't do any gaming on my computer or run any complicated stuff so the specs on the Dell are great for me. For $532 (what I paid for the package), I thought it was a bargain.

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Post by ZXCVBNM » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:42 am

ok, i'm too lazy (read "sane") to go through the now 56 pages on this forum. I need help though. I currently have a heavy dell laptop inspiron and want to buy a cheap, small computer for law school. I think those notebook things look good. Any recs? How much are they? Do I have to buy Microsoft Office or will it come with it? Please HELP!!!

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:20 am

Last edited by dood on Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:54 am

ZXCVBNM wrote:ok, i'm too lazy (read "sane") to go through the now 56 pages on this forum. I need help though. I currently have a heavy dell laptop inspiron and want to buy a cheap, small computer for law school. I think those notebook things look good. Any recs? How much are they? Do I have to buy Microsoft Office or will it come with it? Please HELP!!!

I think you're talking about "netbooks" People here have mentioned acer, lenovo, and HP. I've heard good things about toshibas and I like my dell mini. The truth is they are all pretty much the same, spec-wise, the biggest differences are interaface: screen, keyboard, appearance, etc. Your best bet is to go into a best buy or costco or someplace and just try them all out for a bit. You should be able to get a decent one for around $300-400.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:36 am

ZXCVBNM wrote:ok, i'm too lazy (read "sane") to go through the now 56 pages on this forum. I need help though. I currently have a heavy dell laptop inspiron and want to buy a cheap, small computer for law school. I think those notebook things look good. Any recs? How much are they? Do I have to buy Microsoft Office or will it come with it? Please HELP!!!
If you want a Mac, go for the 13inch MacBook Pro
If you want a PC, a good small one would be the Lenovo T400s
The T400 is a little bigger, the T400s is a nice smaller notebook.
Either way, make sure to use education discounts. Apple has them if you buy on apple.com or in the Apple Store.
I'm sure Lenovo has something as well.
Mak esure to check with your law school to see if they sell Office for really cheap.
If they don't offer it for cheap, Microsoft offers Office 2007 for $60 to students here: http://www.microsoft.com/student/discou ... fault.aspx

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:18 am

superflush wrote:
Either way, make sure to use education discounts. Apple has them if you buy on apple.com or in the Apple Store.
Mak esure to check with your law school to see if they sell Office for really cheap.
If they don't offer it for cheap, Microsoft offers Office 2007 for $60 to students here: http://www.microsoft.com/student/discou ... fault.aspx
Oh, and don't forget, if the OP doesn't want to spend $1000 on a T400 or MBP, then the Timeline or a netbook are both viable options.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:03 am

coolkatz321 wrote:
superflush wrote:
Oh, and don't forget, if the OP doesn't want to spend $1000 on a T400 or MBP, then the Timeline or a netbook are both viable options.
If you were going to go the netbook route, then I'd check out some of the newer 12inch netbooks like the Samsung NC20 or the Lenovo IdeaPad S12

matty

Bronze

Post by matty » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:18 pm

hmmm..I have about $100 to spend on an external from Newegg. Can't decide whether to go with storage and get a WD 1 TB My Book or go with portability and get a WD 500 GB My Passport. Anyone have any experience with either, good or bad? I'll probably end up going with the 1 TB since I know for sure I can fill it to the max with movies, but the portability would also be a nice feature.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:29 pm

matty wrote:hmmm..I have about $100 to spend on an external from Newegg
http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-Desktop-Ext ... 797&sr=8-2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822154207

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:31 pm

matty wrote:I'll probably end up going with the 1 TB since I know for sure I can fill it to the max with movies, but the portability would also be a nice feature.
If you're only going to have one external, then it might make sense to get a bigger, desktop one. Especially if you have sufficient storage in your notebook.

matty

Bronze

Post by matty » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:42 pm

superflush wrote:
matty wrote:hmmm..I have about $100 to spend on an external from Newegg
http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-Desktop-Ext ... 797&sr=8-2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6822154207
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll read some reviews. I was just going to go with Newegg because right now they have $20 off a $100+ order for new customers ordering through paypal :mrgreen:

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:18 pm

matty wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. I'll read some reviews. I was just going to go with Newegg because right now they have $20 off a $100+ order for new customers ordering through paypal :mrgreen:
Okay cool. New at NewEgg or new at PayPal?
Either way, I'm not really new at either.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

abl

Silver

Post by abl » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:32 pm

I just tried the friends and family discount at lenovo and it didn't work. Has anyone else had problems with this since last night? Any ideas? It's possible that I'm going to the wrong website or enterring the wrong code--can someone maybe re-post that info here?

Thanks!!!

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:17 pm

So awhile ago there was someone who said they could give advice on what could be done away with on a new Vista system to make it run smoother without affecting system optimization or security or whatever. They have since vanished, sadly. Does anyone else know a list of the programs that are unnecessary or could pick them out of a list? My new laptop is great, but I feel it could certainly be running smoother.

Thanks!

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:25 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote:So awhile ago there was someone who said they could give advice on what could be done away with on a new Vista system to make it run smoother without affecting system optimization or security or whatever. They have since vanished, sadly. Does anyone else know a list of the programs that are unnecessary or could pick them out of a list? My new laptop is great, but I feel it could certainly be running smoother.

Thanks!

thats just vista :wink: ...

SlipperyPete

New

Post by SlipperyPete » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:27 pm

Last edited by SlipperyPete on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:27 pm

DCD wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote:So awhile ago there was someone who said they could give advice on what could be done away with on a new Vista system to make it run smoother without affecting system optimization or security or whatever. They have since vanished, sadly. Does anyone else know a list of the programs that are unnecessary or could pick them out of a list? My new laptop is great, but I feel it could certainly be running smoother.

Thanks!

thats just vista :wink: ...
Hahahahaha. Yeah, no kidding. But Windows 7 is coming soon. Right?

notthe1

New

Post by notthe1 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:26 pm

I just got a HP Touchsmart tablet pc....I really like it and the price was right--I paid 790 and got a 90$ rebate which I used to buy a new 8 cell battery. It has dvd+r 2.2ghz dual core 4mb ram 320gb hd fingerprint reader webcam and mic (which hopefully will come in handy to record class lectures) and vista...and because I just bought it I was eligible for a free upgrade to windows 7 when it comes out in october. I have been using it for about 3 weeks and I really like it...it is small and only weighs 4 lbs and has great hand recognition software. Works perfectly with Microsoft one-note also.

I would look on ebay and find a seller with really good feedback--you can usually score a pretty good deal if you know what your looking for.

Just my 2 cents though...

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:34 pm

crystalhawkeye wrote: Hahahahaha. Yeah, no kidding. But Windows 7 is coming soon. Right?
yea
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows ... 406&sr=8-1

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:16 pm

superflush wrote:
crystalhawkeye wrote: Hahahahaha. Yeah, no kidding. But Windows 7 is coming soon. Right?
yea
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows ... 406&sr=8-1
Definitely sounds promising. Wish it wasn't $120, but that's probably a fair price. Forget IE8, though. I'll stick with Firefox.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”