The Ideal Law School Laptop Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
snotrocket

Bronze

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Post by snotrocket » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:43 pm

IceAero wrote:I have now:

http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np5797-cus ... -2540.html (older version though)
If you max that puppy out, you can drop seven large on it.

Waterman47

Bronze

Post by Waterman47 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:45 pm

For those interested in netbooks: I forgot to mention that you can easily update the RAM on most models to double or quadruple the performance. Mine came standard with 1GB, but I changed it to 2GB. Cost $25 dollars and the RAM pops right out from the bottom, so it took like 10 seconds, literally.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:49 pm

tempurabanana wrote:Thinkpad T400 with 9 cell li-on battery, MacBook 13 inch, or a netbook? Which would be the most practical? I'm drawn to just getting the 9 cell battery even though it will pack on a few extra ounces because HELLOOOO 10 hour battery life!

I've got a five year old 12" G4 Powerbook at home that is only now beginning to putz out on me, but for $150 I can get a new battery and some more RAM and bring the old girl back to life. I really love Apple computers for their longevity, but I've been leaning more and more towards the T400 or a Netbook just to make life easier with the exam software since I don't really want to buy a copy of Windows. Also, if I want to take notes using OSX but I have to take the exam using Windows, I;m going to need to buy two copies of Office, aren't I (Mac, Windows)? I'm trying to minimize headaches here.

Also, in terms of computability with exam software/general hassle - XP, Vista, or 7?
I have the T400 with 9-cell...love it. I leave the charger at home. Even when I am using the laptop at school for 8 hours.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:53 pm

I'm on my MacBook right now but I'm actually using Windows 7 (multi-tasking... CS 1.6 and TLS). It's better than Vista for sure, but I still reboot right back into OS X when I'm done playing.

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:36 pm

I think I'm going to get this or something like it: http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-ee ... =mncol;lst

It will just be for law school stuff. I'll keep my old macbook for everything fun.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:59 pm

That's actually on the VERY heavy end for a netbook...

I like the HP 1000s better, and they're cheaper. Like everything else though, it's probably best to wait until it's closer to school time. By then netbooks will be two years old and really settling down as established tech.

crystalhawkeye

Silver

Post by crystalhawkeye » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:07 pm

Upon reviewing all the fantastic information in this thread (thanks all!), I think maybe I will stick with a PC. If Windows 7 really is as good as everyone says, I'd be fine keeping it. Maybe I'll go with the T400 instead of the Mac and save ~$500. Given the $40k in tuition, I'm going to go with my logic and not spend an assload more on a laptop. Especially one fitted with the latest graphic cards and audio drivers when I'll be using it for notes and research :| I just need a good keyboard, a long battery life, and a good wireless connection. ThinkPad sounds promising, for sure, but so do the Netbooks.

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:00 pm

As for NetBooks, Sam's and BestBuy both have Dell Inspiron Minis for $349 and $399 respectively. 160 GB HD. Pretty large keyboard (in fact the keys themselves are actually larger than the fullsize laptop keys). I'm leaning this way.

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:04 pm

Educational discounts can be huge, check to see if your bookstore has a deal with dell.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rebekah438

New

Post by rebekah438 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:16 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:Educational discounts can be huge, check to see if your bookstore has a deal with dell.
Any thoughts on the hp dv2?

Rsrcht

Bronze

Post by Rsrcht » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:20 pm

I finally caved in and purchased an ASUS F6 Series F6VE-X1 from newegg. Processor is 2.40GHz), it is 13.3" Wide, has XGA 4GB Memory DDR2, 320GB hard drive, and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 vid card with 512mb vram. Vista and Windows 7 are memory hogs, and so are all of the programs I need for law school. It weighs about 4 pounds and has a battery life of 2.5 hours running wifi and 50% brightness, which is about how long it should take me to find an outlet at most.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6834220512

I thought of getting a 10 inch netbook, but read about all sorts of weird things in terms of screen resolution conflicts, eyestrain, etc. Scrolling was also said to be a pain. I'm also a somewhat large guy - I wouldn't want to dwarf/crush the keyboard in my paws.

I already have a 15.4 inch Dell that weighs about 6 pounds, and keep in mind that they measure the screen - it is huge and won't make room for books. My poor wife had to tote it around for a few weeks while her 13" was getting fixed - she had back problems by the end. There is an extra inch horizontally and an extra 2 inches vertically. It is 17 inches diagonally. I imagine a 17" notebook is actually about 19-21 inches. Probably large enough to fit into an art portfolio bag.
http://www.amazon.com/ANGAP92L3XBK-Port ... 67&sr=1-22

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:24 pm

rebekah438 wrote:Any thoughts on the hp dv2?
Speaking as someone who used to have access to an unlimited amount of HP hardware for almost free -- I will just say that I recommend to anyone who asks to not buy anything they make ever. Their quality is abysmal these days, and they will never again be the 1980s HP whose reputation and name they're still trading on. In the department I managed, which was in a spun-off subsidiary of HP, we finally got so disgusted with them that we switched to buying Dell hardware instead. Yeah, they were that bad. The HP stuff was not even worth our trouble to take off their hands at fire sale prices. As much as Dell sucks ass, at least they could deliver working systems (most of the time) and would replace them quickly enough when they died.

For laptops, go with Lenovo or Apple, depending on what you prefer. If you need a printer, get an Epson.

Rsrcht

Bronze

Post by Rsrcht » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:36 pm

A review on the Eee PC 1000HE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axOD2ja5aUk

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:51 pm

I purchased through the Lenovo Outlet (because I don't have a lot of money to put into a brand new machine). I ended up getting a R61 for under $500. Original price was about $1200.

Just a thought for people who might be strapped for cash.

tcwhat

New

Post by tcwhat » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:08 am

I just bought a MacBook tonight, matter of fact.

If you check this link: http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/ often enough, you'll find a good deal regardless of time. Usually the total cost, if you are willing to do rebates, is below the Apple education discount cost.

Jay Phatsby

New

Post by Jay Phatsby » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:09 am

great thread

jpasqu1

New

Post by jpasqu1 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:19 am

Outside of Onenote, is it worth it to buy MS office as opposed to using open office?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:06 am

I used to say no. But with the rediculously low student prices you can get now (~$70), and after an experience with a borrowed macbook loaded with office 08... I'm changing my tune.

It's not that office is great, it just doesn't suck now, like open office, plus being able to just OPEN all those stupid .doc/.xls/.ppt/.whatever files and KNOWING they will work is great. All the templates I could never get for open office and the inter-program (intra?) cooperation (like watching a ppt in your browser), is just great.

Sometimes it just pays, in headache reductions, to give in.

reverendt

Bronze

Post by reverendt » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:10 am

I have a standard 13" macbook. Most of the people in my 1L class with bigger computers wound up envious of those of us with smaller ones.
Casebooks tend to be big and heavy (my conlaw book is like a leatherbound telephone book) and sometimes I'm stuck dragging 2 or 3 around. The last you need then is a big heavy laptop.

syrahfan

New

Post by syrahfan » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:41 am

What a great discussion to read on laptops!

reading all of the above, I think I am moving towards a T400, but I have some overall questions.

I have been a desktop user all my life (from the age of 5 on), never really moving over to the laptops. Are some laptops better suited to plugging in to a full monitor/keyboard at home? I know many businesses use Dell to do this, but I would rather use a Thinkpad given all of the reviews I have read.

Also, would most laptops be compatible with dual monitors? My work has addicted me to using 2 monitors at a time and the thought of not having Lexis/Westlaw on one screen and any document I am working on in one screen makes me sigh. I will have a desktop, and if it survives, then I can use that for some use, but it was the cheapest model available, and I don't expect much out of it.

Best,

Syrahfan

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:45 am

IceAero wrote: http://www.booqbags.com

they rock
+1 for Booq. The quality of those bags is absolutely insane.

I cannot say enough about the MSI Wind for those of you looking for a netbook. Absolutely the best one on the market: http://www.msimobile.com/level2_productlist.aspx?id=3

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wreckem

New

Post by wreckem » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:54 am

If you have the money, I suggest the Lenovo X301 and add Windows 7 to it when you get the chance.

I have a Lenovo X300 and Windows7 beta. Its the perfect notebook to lug around. Its extremely light and has a fullsized keyboard.

chadstew55

Bronze

Post by chadstew55 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:39 am

jpasqu1 wrote:Outside of Onenote, is it worth it to buy MS office as opposed to using open office?
What is your tar a picture of?

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:27 am

syrahfan wrote:I have been a desktop user all my life (from the age of 5 on), never really moving over to the laptops. Are some laptops better suited to plugging in to a full monitor/keyboard at home? I know many businesses use Dell to do this, but I would rather use a Thinkpad given all of the reviews I have read.
You can get docking stations for any laptop that make it simple to use a keyboard, mouse, and monitor with them if you want, but you don't strictly need them, since they all have external ports now. It is a good idea though if you're docking and undocking every day and want the full setup at home. I never bothered getting a docking station. Most mid-range laptops are more than powerful enough for everything you want (except high-end gaming, of course, which is always pushing the envelope). I haven't owned a desktop in years, and I use the laptop by itself without any accessories. One nice thing is that I can just close it and stick on a shelf somewhere, and then I have the whole desk for doing real work. My wife uses a keyboard and mouse with hers, and she has a fussy little box to set it on so the screen sits a little higher, but that's about it. Hers is a 17" Mac Book though, so the bigger screen is nice if you're using in 90% of the time as a desktop replacement.

snotrocket

Bronze

Post by snotrocket » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:30 am

chadstew55 wrote:
jpasqu1 wrote:Outside of Onenote, is it worth it to buy MS office as opposed to using open office?
What is your tar a picture of?

Rutgers-Newark School of Law

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”