The Ideal Law School Laptop Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bankhead

Silver

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Post by Bankhead » Wed May 20, 2009 9:14 pm

How do these stats look:

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P8400 (2.26GHz 1066MHz 3MBL2) 25W 1
Operating system: Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium 1
Operating system language: Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium US English 1
System graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD with vPro 1
Total memory: 2 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM) 1
Keyboard: Keyboard US English 1
Pointing device: UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) 1
Hard drive: 160 GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm 1
Optical device: CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo 24X/24X/24X/8X Max, Ultrabay Slim (Serial ATA) 1
System expansion slots: Express Card Slot & PC Card Slot 1
Bluetooth: Integrated Bluetooth PAN 1
Wireless card: Intel WiFi Link 5100 (AGN) with My WiFi Technology 1
Mobile Broadband: Integrated Mobile Broadband upgradable 1
Battery: 6 cell Li-Ion Battery 1
Power cord: Country Pack North America with Line cord & 65W AC adapter 1
Language pack: Language Pack US English 1
Microsoft productivity software preload: Microsoft Office Basic 2007 - English 1
Additional Microsoft productivity software preload: Microsoft OneNote 2007 - Eng excluding EU-EFTA 1

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed May 20, 2009 10:28 pm

nitsudrx wrote:Should I get the computer with the 4, 6, or 9 cell battery? Is the 6 enough? I heard it makes the computer larger... any truth to this. Thanks.
Well, it makes sense that if the battery is bigger, then the computer may be larger or weigh more with the battery in it.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed May 20, 2009 10:31 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Wed May 20, 2009 10:53 pm

how do we weasel our way into getting one note and Microsoft office for really cheap?

any major discounts?

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed May 20, 2009 11:00 pm

sentinal5656 wrote:how do we weasel our way into getting one note and Microsoft office for really cheap?

any major discounts?
Yes, for Windows.
http://www.Microsoft.com/TheUltimateSteal
Its $60 for Microsoft Office 2007 Ultimate

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

project40

New

Post by project40 » Wed May 20, 2009 11:06 pm

this is my first post from my new thinkpad that i will be using in law school 8)

pu_golf88

Bronze

Post by pu_golf88 » Wed May 20, 2009 11:06 pm

That's a great deal, but if you haven't graduated yet you might want to check and see if you can get a copy from your school. I go to Purdue and we have a software agreement with Microsoft so it's dirt cheap. I bought Vista Ultimate and Office Ultimate 2007 for around $15 I think. They say if/when you quit attending Purdue you're supposed to uninstall it, but I doubt anyone does that.

aholmes87

New

Post by aholmes87 » Wed May 20, 2009 11:08 pm

Just ordered my T400. Under the advice of my brother I upgraded to 3 gigs of rams for Vista. Now I just have to wait for the thing to ship.

My 10lb, 5 and a half year old Dell is on its last leg. Although, I have to say I have never had a problem with the product. I've heard some Dell horror stories but mine has been fine. Every so often I had to take it apart to clean out the fans and the vents, but other than that nothing major. I'm hoping I can use it to store documents for the next three years. I think it can handle that role.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed May 20, 2009 11:11 pm

pu_golf88 wrote:That's a great deal, but if you haven't graduated yet you might want to check and see if you can get a copy from your school. I go to Purdue and we have a software agreement with Microsoft so it's dirt cheap. I bought Vista Ultimate and Office Ultimate 2007 for around $15 I think. They say if/when you quit attending Purdue you're supposed to uninstall it, but I doubt anyone does that.
Ah, good to know too, I guess. That's pretty cheap. I guess people should also checkout their college bookstore or computer store, and also see if you're prospective law school has any deals. But $60 is pretty good for Office straight from Microsoft.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

djshack

New

Post by djshack » Thu May 21, 2009 1:02 am

That is an awesome deal. However, my law school will be providing Office 2007 (apparently Professional + OneNote... Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, and OneNote) for absolutely no charge when we have our computers "approved" by the IT guys. Also check school bookstores. If you don't get it free though, that $60 package is an amazing deal.

Buckeye

New

Post by Buckeye » Thu May 21, 2009 1:46 am

nitsudrx wrote:How do these stats look:

Optical device: CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo 24X/24X/24X/8X Max, Ultrabay Slim (Serial ATA) 1
Microsoft productivity software preload: Microsoft Office Basic 2007 - English 1
Additional Microsoft productivity software preload: Microsoft OneNote 2007 - Eng excluding EU-EFTA 1

Would recommend changing your choice of RAM. I personally wouldn't buy a computer with less than 4 GB. Maybe all you need is 2, but in that case buy 1 2 GB stick of ram, not 2 1 GB sticks of ram. This way, if you want to upgrade in the future you buy 1 more 2 GB instead of scrapping both 1 GB ones and buying 2 new ones.

Also I might look into buying a student version of Microsoft Office rather than getting it bundled with the computer. I feel like you can probably save a good amount of money here.

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Thu May 21, 2009 9:22 am

Buckeye wrote:
Would recommend changing your choice of RAM. I personally wouldn't buy a computer with less than 4 GB. Maybe all you need is 2, but in that case buy 1 2 GB stick of ram, not 2 1 GB sticks of ram. This way, if you want to upgrade in the future you buy 1 more 2 GB instead of scrapping both 1 GB ones and buying 2 new ones.

Also I might look into buying a student version of Microsoft Office rather than getting it bundled with the computer. I feel like you can probably save a good amount of money here.

where are the good deals for this?!?!?! and what about one note? how can we obtain these for really cheappp?

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Thu May 21, 2009 9:22 am

djshack wrote:That is an awesome deal. However, my law school will be providing Office 2007 (apparently Professional + OneNote... Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, and OneNote) for absolutely no charge when we have our computers "approved" by the IT guys. Also check school bookstores. If you don't get it free though, that $60 package is an amazing deal.

i hope my school has thisssss....

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

djshack

New

Post by djshack » Thu May 21, 2009 11:36 am

Buckeye wrote:
nitsudrx wrote:How do these stats look:

+1

I got my T400 with one 2 GB RAM stick, and bought another 2 GB stick online for $33 from NewEgg.

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Thu May 21, 2009 3:45 pm

djshack wrote: +1

I got my T400 with one 2 GB RAM stick, and bought another 2 GB stick online for $33 from NewEgg.

so you did 1 DIMM and installed the other DIMM? interesting... howd u install it? was it easy?

djshack

New

Post by djshack » Thu May 21, 2009 6:14 pm

sentinal5656 wrote:
djshack wrote: +1

so you did 1 DIMM and installed the other DIMM? interesting... howd u install it? was it easy?
Very easy. Right under the wrist rest. I believe I had to remove four screws from the bottom of the computer.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu May 21, 2009 6:37 pm

Buckeye wrote:Would recommend changing your choice of RAM. I personally wouldn't buy a computer with less than 4 GB. Maybe all you need is 2, but in that case buy 1 2 GB stick of ram, not 2 1 GB sticks of ram. This way, if you want to upgrade in the future you buy 1 more 2 GB instead of scrapping both 1 GB ones and buying 2 new ones.

+1. If you're getting Vista. And, don't get Office preloaded, it will cost much more.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu May 21, 2009 6:37 pm

sentinal5656 wrote:where are the good deals for this?!?!?! and what about one note? how can we obtain these for really cheappp?
Read what I wrote above.

littleboyblue

Bronze

Post by littleboyblue » Thu May 21, 2009 6:55 pm

i haven't seen anyone mention the ASUS EeePC 1000HE netbook - anyone have it? thoughts? seems to have received good reviews.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu May 21, 2009 7:19 pm

littleboyblue wrote:i haven't seen anyone mention the ASUS EeePC 1000HE netbook - anyone have it? thoughts? seems to have received good reviews.
I don't think that netbook in particular has been mentioned. But there are definitely some netbook fans here.

djshack

New

Post by djshack » Thu May 21, 2009 7:51 pm

I personally can't stand netbooks. Whatever I would use a netbook for I can do on my BlackBerry. What will be interesting is the new "superthin-but-cheaper" computers coming out soon with a soon-to-be-released Intel chip. Essentially they'll be similar to the Dell Adamo and the MacBook Air but significantly cheaper (and maybe not AS thin, but still thin and light).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

vut

New

Post by vut » Thu May 21, 2009 8:22 pm

djshack wrote:I personally can't stand netbooks. Whatever I would use a netbook for I can do on my BlackBerry. What will be interesting is the new "superthin-but-cheaper" computers coming out soon with a soon-to-be-released Intel chip. Essentially they'll be similar to the Dell Adamo and the MacBook Air but significantly cheaper (and maybe not AS thin, but still thin and light).
I agree with you about netbooks. Their specs suggest that they are more of a fun distraction and fashion statement during lecture than a law school sidekick. It's fun to surf the tubes but a pain to do serious work.

jetlagz28

Bronze

Post by jetlagz28 » Thu May 21, 2009 8:28 pm

vut wrote:
djshack wrote:I personally can't stand netbooks. Whatever I would use a netbook for I can do on my BlackBerry. What will be interesting is the new "superthin-but-cheaper" computers coming out soon with a soon-to-be-released Intel chip. Essentially they'll be similar to the Dell Adamo and the MacBook Air but significantly cheaper (and maybe not AS thin, but still thin and light).
I agree with you about netbooks. Their specs suggest that they are more of a fun distraction and fashion statement during lecture than a law school sidekick. It's fun to surf the tubes but a pain to do serious work.
I've been out of school for 3 years so its funny to hear about whats popular on campus now a days. I can just imagine every undergrad running around with a netbook. I absolutely love my netbook. I think its perfect for note taking. I don't plan to do major work on the thing, and would hate using it for anything really serious.

kbigs

New

Post by kbigs » Thu May 21, 2009 8:43 pm

Not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread before or not, but those of you considering buying a mac might be better off waiting a month or two. Last year they issued a 'go back to school' deal where customers buying a mac got a free ipod touch. Look for something similar this year.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Thu May 21, 2009 8:59 pm

kbigs wrote:Not sure if it has been mentioned in this thread before or not, but those of you considering buying a mac might be better off waiting a month or two. Last year they issued a 'go back to school' deal where customers buying a mac got a free ipod touch. Look for something similar this year.
Yea, its been mentioned, but its somewhere in the earlier pages.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”