The Ideal Law School Laptop Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
malagueno

New

Re: The Ideal Law School Laptop

Post by malagueno » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:27 pm

boca323 wrote:whatever you do, DON'T buy a mac book. God those are gay.
Wow! Don't think I've heard that use of "gay" since 5th grade. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

dotcom

New

Post by dotcom » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:36 pm

I just got a macbook for law school. Does anyone have any recommendations for what software will be most useful in law school? My computer knowledge is limited... I am specifically interested in note taking software. There seems to be a clear winner for PCs, and a hodge podge for macs.

Thanks!

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:54 pm

I don't have a good answer for ^ 'cause in the mac world it's so largely up to personal preference.

But for people considering a macbook who were scared off by the SATA I vs SATA II issue: Apple just released a firmware update that fixes it. Apparently they didn't test the firmware for SATA II since they don't ship any drives that use it.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:04 am

enygma wrote:
boca323 wrote:whatever you do, DON'T buy a mac book. God those are gay.
DELETED

ROFL!

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:06 am

dotcom wrote:I just got a macbook for law school. Does anyone have any recommendations for what software will be most useful in law school? My computer knowledge is limited... I am specifically interested in note taking software. There seems to be a clear winner for PCs, and a hodge podge for macs.

Thanks!
OmniOutliner Pro seems to be the most popular, but there are many options. Free trials are your friends.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:28 am

So, I have had my mac a week now, I love it, but am already having to bring it in to the store. The headphone jack (which apparently is hit-or-miss on the macbooks) is broken. It was working fine, and then just stopped. I get sound out of the internal speakers, but when I plug the headphones in, there is a couple second delay where the speakers continue to work while it recognizes there are headphones in, and then no sound from the headphones.

I've tried other headphones, and its not the issue. I've also checked the sound settings, and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them. So, I'm taking it in for some assistance. If all goes well, and I have no issues getting it resolved, I'm not going to have a gripe about mac, cuz I know that these glitches happen sometimes, on PCs too. Also, I've heard that mac customer assistance is awesome, so hopefully, this will hold true regarding this service.

Anyways, just thought I would update. Macs have issues too, all computers do!

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:42 pm

hoffb86 wrote:So, I have had my mac a week now, I love it, but am already having to bring it in to the store. The headphone jack (which apparently is hit-or-miss on the macbooks) is broken. It was working fine, and then just stopped. I get sound out of the internal speakers, but when I plug the headphones in, there is a couple second delay where the speakers continue to work while it recognizes there are headphones in, and then no sound from the headphones.

I've tried other headphones, and its not the issue. I've also checked the sound settings, and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with them. So, I'm taking it in for some assistance. If all goes well, and I have no issues getting it resolved, I'm not going to have a gripe about mac, cuz I know that these glitches happen sometimes, on PCs too. Also, I've heard that mac customer assistance is awesome, so hopefully, this will hold true regarding this service.

I've heard about this problem before. A lot of people think it's because of the integrated mic/headphone port apple uses on the 13". The apple headphones with mic seem to work better. See if you can find someone with an iPhone and try their headphones.

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:03 pm

sheltron5000 wrote:
hoffb86 wrote:So, I have had my mac a week now, I love it, but am already having to bring it in to the store. The headphone jack (which apparently is hit-or-miss on the macbooks) is broken. It was working fine, and then just stopped. I get sound out of the internal speakers, but when I plug the headphones in, there is a couple second delay where the speakers continue to work while it recognizes there are headphones in, and then no sound from the headphones.

I've heard about this problem before. A lot of people think it's because of the integrated mic/headphone port apple uses on the 13". The apple headphones with mic seem to work better. See if you can find someone with an iPhone and try their headphones.
I did (I think, the headphones i borrowed from a friend were the iphone) ... no dice.... so, I am going to the genius bar tomorrow.

edit: and, if that is the case, and I would have to use those headphones, i dont think it will work for me, cuz they dont stay in my ears....

sheltron5000

Bronze

Post by sheltron5000 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:38 am

The fix those people used was to pull the headphones out just a tinsy bit to get the right contact, but if you tried the iphone headphones you probably have a different problem.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ubermensch

New

Post by ubermensch » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:15 am

For those considering a lenovo and concerned about ship times:

I ordered a t400 from lenovo last Wednesday. It shipped on Friday and should be here tomorrow or Wednesday.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:02 am

hoffb86 wrote:
sheltron5000 wrote:

I did (I think, the headphones i borrowed from a friend were the iphone) ... no dice.... so, I am going to the genius bar tomorrow.

edit: and, if that is the case, and I would have to use those headphones, i dont think it will work for me, cuz they dont stay in my ears....
I wouldn't be surprised if they just switch it out on the spot. Macs tend to have issues when a new product is launched, but Apple always handles it well.

particleman

New

Post by particleman » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:52 am

Hey all, I'm considering switching to Mac and have been looking at the Mac Book Pro 13" and 15". I currently have a 15" screen laptop so I'm wondering if a 13" is too small. Anyone out there have a 13" screen and feel like it's not big enough? Anyone with a 15" think their laptop is too heavy?

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:56 am

particleman wrote:Hey all, I'm considering switching to Mac and have been looking at the Mac Book Pro 13" and 15". I currently have a 15" screen laptop so I'm wondering if a 13" is too small. Anyone out there have a 13" screen and feel like it's not big enough? Anyone with a 15" think their laptop is too heavy?
I have the 13" right now. I perviously had a 15" and I do not notice a difference in regular use. I am however, going to get a 15" for law school because I feel that the ability to have Westlaw/Lexis and a word processing document open side by side at a comfortable size makes it worth it. I also don't think that the extra pound will bother me too much (the 15" MBP is still lighter than many similarly sized Windows notebooks). Just my $0.02.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:30 am

dextermorgan wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if they just switch it out on the spot. Macs tend to have issues when a new product is launched, but Apple always handles it well.
You think it is something they readily have the parts for and could do on the spot, or locally? I really don't want to be without my brand new computer for a week while they ship it off. My appointment is for 7:20pm tonight, so I wouldn't demand that it be done like while I wait, but I would like it back ASAP.

djshack

New

Post by djshack » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:33 pm

When I went in to get the cracked top of my white MacBook replaced, the guy told me it'd be a few days and they'd call me. I let him know I could NOT wait (just because I didn't want to), and he had a tech guy do it in five minutes. Just be pushy.

djshack

New

Post by djshack » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:34 pm

ubermensch wrote:For those considering a lenovo and concerned about ship times:

I ordered a t400 from lenovo last Wednesday. It shipped on Friday and should be here tomorrow or Wednesday.
When I ordered mine a few months back I received the computer before the estimated ship date.

KristaLyn

New

Post by KristaLyn » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:35 pm

So what is the best way to upgrade to 7? I just called Lenovo and I just got my computer today, but since I ordered it before the 26th of June, they won't honor the free Windows 7 upgrade. I also got vista business, so I am worried that upgrading to Windows 7 Business will be twice as expensive.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:38 pm

djshack wrote:When I went in to get the cracked top of my white MacBook replaced, the guy told me it'd be a few days and they'd call me. I let him know I could NOT wait (just because I didn't want to), and he had a tech guy do it in five minutes. Just be pushy.
Thanks. on my way over there now. So we will see... I've had it a week, they should be accomodating. This shouldn't happen on a brand new computer, i have no problem being a little pushy.

djshack

New

Post by djshack » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:18 pm

KristaLyn wrote:So what is the best way to upgrade to 7? I just called Lenovo and I just got my computer today, but since I ordered it before the 26th of June, they won't honor the free Windows 7 upgrade. I also got vista business, so I am worried that upgrading to Windows 7 Business will be twice as expensive.
I pre-ordered from Microsoft. But I have Home Premium (to Home Premium is $50). It doesn't seem to explicitly mention on the website that you need to get the same level, so you may be able to get Home Premium if you don't mind the "downgrade."

n4sir1999

New

Post by n4sir1999 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:31 pm

I just ordered my Lenovo X200 today, really excited about it bc it's my first laptop (I'm a desktop kinda guy)

BTW, this thread is great

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:21 pm

hoffb86 wrote:
djshack wrote:When I went in to get the cracked top of my white MacBook replaced, the guy told me it'd be a few days and they'd call me. I let him know I could NOT wait (just because I didn't want to), and he had a tech guy do it in five minutes. Just be pushy.
Thanks. on my way over there now. So we will see... I've had it a week, they should be accomodating. This shouldn't happen on a brand new computer, i have no problem being a little pushy.
Soooo I get all the way out there, its about a 25inute train ride, to find out my appointment is actually tomorrow. Oops.

So they say I can try to come back in an hour so I go and have dinner, some awesome Indian food, come back, and they couldn't help me. Looks like I will be going back tomorrow. Will update again then.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sentinal5656

Bronze

Post by sentinal5656 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:42 pm

i want to go with a quad core processor....

soo tempting

Lee Kitty Oswald

New

Post by Lee Kitty Oswald » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:46 pm

There was a post above about the advantage of 15 in screens over 13 in ones. Does it seem that more people in law school use a 15 in one? Also, does anyone know if there are 15 in ones that aren't too heavy? Thanks!

elex360

New

Post by elex360 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:01 pm

Although i'm not in law school, I do bring my 15 inch macbook pro around with me quite a bit nowdays. It's rather light and does everything I'll ever need it to do. And when I do need to use windows, i'll load up parallels. BTW, if you do go with a mac, load the free quicksilver mac app on it. You'll be able to do so many commands through the keyboard and customize things, that will make your life sooo much easier.

Good luck to all of you with your decisions!

- Patrick

UNC2009

New

Post by UNC2009 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:28 am

djshack wrote:
KristaLyn wrote:So what is the best way to upgrade to 7? I just called Lenovo and I just got my computer today, but since I ordered it before the 26th of June, they won't honor the free Windows 7 upgrade. I also got vista business, so I am worried that upgrading to Windows 7 Business will be twice as expensive.
I pre-ordered from Microsoft. But I have Home Premium (to Home Premium is $50). It doesn't seem to explicitly mention on the website that you need to get the same level, so you may be able to get Home Premium if you don't mind the "downgrade."
I would like to know the answer to this question as well. I have XP Business, but don't feel like I need it for law school. Would Windows 7 Home be OK for law school? I didn't see anything on the microsoft upgrade site that said you had to use the same version of Windows 7 as you had of Vista (Home to Home, Business to Business). Can anyone verify this and tell me if I need Business or would home be just fine?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”