Reasonable_Man is Right Law School Can be a Terrible Choice Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CE2JD

Silver

Re: Reasonable_Man is Right Law School Can be a Terrible Choice

Post by CE2JD » Tue May 12, 2009 5:50 pm

I didn't know IEs had to learn about Fourier transforms. Do you guys have to learn about z-transforms as well?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue May 12, 2009 5:50 pm

Aeroplane wrote:Image

Well - I think it's awesome anyway.
zOMG! <3 XKCD!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue May 12, 2009 5:52 pm

CE2JD wrote:I didn't know IEs had to learn about Fourier transforms. Do you guys have to learn about z-transforms as well?
I learned about Fourier transforms and I'm an AE. You use them in system dynamics. I also learned about Z-transforms, but that was in a signal processing class...

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Tue May 12, 2009 5:53 pm

Cleareyes wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
Cleareyes, I don't think I've ever seen you so be so heartless. Out of catnip?

This guy was uninformed. Intelligence and wisdom don't go hand and hand. Honestly speaking, a year or less ago I didn't know the difference between tier 1 and TTT schools. I'm very internet savvy. The vast majority of people aren't nearly as internet savvy as me or you. There are plenty of intelligent people who lack direction and don't know how to get direction. They don't know which sources of information to trust and which ones not to. You do from your own very fortunate upbringing. As do most top 10 law school students. What you may think is a simple matter of research is actually one of the skills that make you one of the top law school students.

Personally, I'm glad that there are people like the OP. Makes for less competition. Despite that, I'll still do everything I can to help people who are intelligent, but unwise. I don't mind some competition. Consequently, I do feel sorry for him. He clearly was not gifted/trained with abilities that would have helped him to live up to his full potential (judging by how well he did in school, I'd say his potential goes past pizza delivery). To prevent more people from ending up like him, I hope law schools advisors and other sources of information become better at advising students.

Law school can be a terrible choice, so people should be better educated on how to make the right choices.
I'm not heartless. I'm just responding to the way the information was presented. The thing that you seem to be conveniently is that going to Vermont WASN'T a mistake for him. It was his complete shrugging off of OCI and decision to return to New York without a job instead of staying in Vermont where there were jobs lined up for him. At that point he was a 3L and should have known. I mean, yeah, it sucks that he can't get a job where he wants one, but he acts like he's entitled to an NYC law job. He's not. I'm not. Nobody is.

I'm not seeing where he was mislead or mistreated here. I have sympathy for him as a human being who is struggling, sure, it's rough. I wish him well I wish him success. But this post isn't about the legal profession. It's about unrealistic expectations in general. Just as you can't just take your screenplay and go to L.A. and expect to get a movie made, you can't just move to NY with a degree from a no name school and expect to get a decent law job. There are tens of thousands of unemployed writers in L.A. and probably close to as many underemployed lawyers in NYC. Stay in Vermont. Prosper. Wait for your girlfriend or find a new girlfriend or if she's worth being a waiter at iHop for then wait tables at iHop but don't blame your school for being what it is.
Going to the Vermont school was a mistake if he wanted to live or work somewhere else. So yes, for him or someone like him, it was a mistake. By telling his story, he may save someone from making a similar mistake. Not sure why everyone needs to jump down his throat for sharing his experience. Hopefully, someone without 1000+ posts reads his story and learns a valuable lesson.

Its fine for people to point out each of his mistakes in an attempt to help others. The way it was done though was basically to the effect of "you shouldn't have even posted this you jackass". It was just done with such venom. I don't see why it was necessary for so many posters to be so mean about it.

I didn't mean to single you out. You weren't by any means the most mean person. I guess I just expect you to always use your kid gloves on people. You've built up too much of a reputation for being a nice guy. If you were an asshole more often, it wouldn't have surprised me :mrgreen:

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Tue May 12, 2009 5:58 pm

rayiner wrote:
CE2JD wrote:I didn't know IEs had to learn about Fourier transforms. Do you guys have to learn about z-transforms as well?
I learned about Fourier transforms and I'm an AE. You use them in system dynamics. I also learned about Z-transforms, but that was in a signal processing class...
God I hated signal processing. Well, I hated the exams. The lab assignments were pretty fuckin awesome though. I remember making some kind of filter to work on analog phone lines.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue May 12, 2009 6:01 pm

CE2JD wrote:
rayiner wrote:
God I hated signal processing. Well, I hated the exams. The lab assignments were pretty fuckin awesome though. I remember making some kind of filter to work on analog phone lines.
I remember writing something to decode DTMF. It was neat...

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Tue May 12, 2009 6:05 pm

CE2JD wrote:
rayiner wrote:
My SO hated that class too. I remember he always bitched about it.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue May 12, 2009 6:07 pm

Why would anyone hate signal processing? It was so much cooler than all of my AE courses...

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Tue May 12, 2009 6:09 pm

rayiner wrote:Why would anyone hate signal processing? It was so much cooler than all of my AE courses...
I just thought the exams were hard, but then again I was a huge slacker in UG.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Tue May 12, 2009 6:14 pm

CE2JD wrote:spoken like a true patent examiner
lol what?

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Tue May 12, 2009 6:16 pm

We learned them in one of the math classes that all engineers had to take at my UG. That was a long time ago though. I probably couldn't even transform a mouse now, never mind a cat.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Tue May 12, 2009 6:18 pm

Lxw wrote:
CE2JD wrote:spoken like a true patent examiner
lol what?
iono, that's just what i say to all of your posts

also, aren't patent examiners supposed to look for assumptions in patent apps and automatically reject them if they find one?

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Tue May 12, 2009 6:22 pm

Aeroplane wrote:
We learned them in one of the math classes that all engineers had to take at my UG. That was a long time ago though. I probably couldn't even transform a mouse now, never mind a cat.
fwiw, i don't even know what a fourier transform is

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Tue May 12, 2009 6:24 pm

Lxw wrote: fwiw, i don't even know what a fourier transform is
This is how I felt in the "douchiest clothing brands" thread. I buy the same polo shirt at Old Navy in 6-8 colors and my wardrobe is set for the week.
Last edited by Aeroplane on Tue May 12, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Tue May 12, 2009 6:24 pm

CE2JD wrote:iono, that's just what i say to all of your posts

also, aren't patent examiners supposed to look for assumptions in patent apps and automatically reject them if they find one?
lol. I never heard of anyone doing stuff like that.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Tue May 12, 2009 6:25 pm

Lxw wrote:
CE2JD wrote:iono, that's just what i say to all of your posts

lol. I never heard of anyone doing stuff like that.
:(

You mean you guys don't run the patent office exactly like PLI teaches me? My dreams are forever shattered.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Tue May 12, 2009 6:28 pm

CE2JD wrote:You mean you guys don't run the patent office exactly like PLI teaches me? My dreams are forever shattered.
most people don't even read the applications, never mind comb them for assumptions. just look at the claims, and figure out what to do from there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

iliketothinkiamcool

New

Post by iliketothinkiamcool » Tue May 12, 2009 7:07 pm

I wish I would've noticed this thread sooner...

I think a telling statement is that the OP said plenty of job prospects were interested in him in the state of Vermont. It seems to me that he made the decision to try for the New York legal market as opposed to stay in Vermont for a while and practice.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue May 12, 2009 7:19 pm

Aeroplane wrote:
At one point I could solve statics problems using fourier transforms. Not anymore. :cry:

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Tue May 12, 2009 7:20 pm

Moral of the OP:

At the root of every problem in a man's life is a WOMAN.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue May 12, 2009 7:21 pm

Aeroplane wrote:
This is how I felt in the "douchiest clothing brands" thread. I buy the same polo shirt at Old Navy in 6-8 colors and my wardrobe is set for the week.
Your wardrobe sounds like mine...

Diff: I'm a guy. What's your excuse? :mrgreen:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Tue May 12, 2009 7:34 pm

iliketothinkiamcool wrote:I wish I would've noticed this thread sooner...

I think a telling statement is that the OP said plenty of job prospects were interested in him in the state of Vermont. It seems to me that he made the decision to try for the New York legal market as opposed to stay in Vermont for a while and practice.
It seems to you? :evil:

Aeroplane

Bronze

Post by Aeroplane » Tue May 12, 2009 8:18 pm

rayiner wrote:
Aeroplane wrote:
Your wardrobe sounds like mine...

Diff: I'm a guy. What's your excuse? :mrgreen:
I suck at dressing myself, accesorizing, putting on makeup, etc. To play it safe (and also because I am lazy), I wear basic machine-washable items in solid colors, the same tiny pair of earrings (white gold, so I don't have to remove them when I shower/swim), and no makeup. I would have made a great communist, fashion-wise.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue May 12, 2009 8:22 pm

Aeroplane wrote:I suck at dressing myself, accesorizing, putting on makeup, etc. To play it safe (and also because I am lazy), I wear basic machine-washable items in solid colors, the same tiny pair of earrings (white gold, so I don't have to remove them when I shower/swim), and no makeup. I would have made a great communist, fashion-wise.
So you're me?

sbalive

Bronze

Post by sbalive » Tue May 12, 2009 8:23 pm

rayiner wrote:
Aeroplane wrote:I suck at dressing myself, accesorizing, putting on makeup, etc. To play it safe (and also because I am lazy), I wear basic machine-washable items in solid colors, the same tiny pair of earrings (white gold, so I don't have to remove them when I shower/swim), and no makeup. I would have made a great communist, fashion-wise.
So you're me?
They should have a special required course for this in the Engineering curriculum. Maybe they should include it as a requirement in Senior Design?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”