Official 2010 US News Law School Rankings Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
applepie

Bronze

Re: Official 2010 US News Law School Rankings

Post by applepie » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:17 pm

atlantalaw wrote:uga down two spots?? i am heartbroken. at least i didn't pick uf, since that is now a t2. fsu tailing uf makes me wonder if they will keep rising...making me stupid for turning down their scholarship. oh well. good thing i didn't make my decision based on the rankings.
UF is reducing its incoming class size for this year though (long overdue) to 300 so a comeback is likely

atlantalaw

Bronze

Post by atlantalaw » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:24 pm

applepie wrote:
atlantalaw wrote:uga down two spots?? i am heartbroken. at least i didn't pick uf, since that is now a t2. fsu tailing uf makes me wonder if they will keep rising...making me stupid for turning down their scholarship. oh well. good thing i didn't make my decision based on the rankings.
UF is reducing its incoming class size for this year though (long overdue) to 300 so a comeback is likely
good point. hopefully uga won't fall any more in the rankings.

BradyToMoss

Bronze

Post by BradyToMoss » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:26 pm

33 to 35, how will you ever have a chance at a job after such a serious change in ranking.

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:26 pm

No florida school in the top 50, and they all got nailed in the recent Florida bar exam? what's going on down there?

atlantalaw

Bronze

Post by atlantalaw » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:27 pm

BradyToMoss wrote:33 to 35, how will you ever have a chance at a job after such a serious change in ranking.
ah, someone who understands the gravity of the situation :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

applepie

Bronze

Post by applepie » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:27 pm

hoffb86 wrote:No florida school in the top 50, and they all got nailed in the recent Florida bar exam? what's going on down there?
sports success

redskinsgibbs

New

Post by redskinsgibbs » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:40 pm

hoffb86 wrote:No florida school in the top 50, and they all got nailed in the recent Florida bar exam? what's going on down there?

It shows how retarded the rankings are. No school in a huge ass state like Florida is " T1" when Miami places like high T1 in Miami and Florida places like T1 in the rest of the state.

Yet a Cardozo that is 5th in its own state is T1. Yet people care about these rankings.

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:41 pm

redskinsgibbs wrote:

It shows how retarded the rankings are. No school in a huge ass state like Florida is " T1" when Miami places like high T1 in Miami and Florida places like T1 in the rest of the state.

Yet a Cardozo that is 5th in its own state is T1. Yet people care about these rankings.
no argument there. While i am always interested in the rankings, i dont put too much weight on them... and i agree, no florida school in T1 makes no sense.

Kinda sucks for them....

i didn't apply anywhere in florida, i just found it interesting.

BradyToMoss

Bronze

Post by BradyToMoss » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:57 pm

What don't you guys get? These rankings are not the end all, be all of what you should pick. They look at schools with national recognition, be it their professors, alumni, or incoming students numbers. If you want to work in FL, no kidding FL schools will place better than some schools ranked higher from other parts of the country. The legal world is a little larger than Florida, that's what these rankings are. Take them for what they are, one list can only say so much.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hoffb86

Bronze

Post by hoffb86 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:59 pm

BradyToMoss wrote:What don't you guys get? These rankings are not the end all, be all of what you should pick. They look at schools with national recognition, be it their professors, alumni, or incoming students numbers. If you want to work in FL, no kidding FL schools will place better than some schools ranked higher from other parts of the country. The legal world is a little larger than Florida, that's what these rankings are. Take them for what they are, one list can only say so much.
I agree with this, i am just surprised that with a large legal market in the state, and several solid schools that none of them made the top 50... not saying that one should rule out the florida schools because of this, DEFINITELY not saying that.... just find it interesting that one didn't make the list.

tom1986

New

Post by tom1986 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:20 am

75 - UNLV. I must say I am proud of the lone school of my home state, Nevada. +13 spots.

not bad for an 11 yr old school!!

hopeforthebest

New

Post by hopeforthebest » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:00 am

applepie wrote:
sports success
TITCR. 8)

Iuvo

New

Post by Iuvo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:54 am

Those who think Harvard takes a more holistic approach than Berkeley are high.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:59 am

That Yale bar passage rate isn't as great as I'd expect...

BradyToMoss

Bronze

Post by BradyToMoss » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:17 am

Iuvo wrote:Those who think Harvard takes a more holistic approach than Berkeley are high.
Ironic?

Iuvo

New

Post by Iuvo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:34 am

Congratulations on your discovery.

OnAMission

New

Post by OnAMission » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:18 am

WTF happened to Rutgers-Newark! They place well in NYC. Better than some higher ranked schools...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Cal4future

New

Post by Cal4future » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:21 am

Will Pepperdine continue its upward trend?

theuserdylan

New

Post by theuserdylan » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:25 am

coolkatz321 wrote:That Yale bar passage rate isn't as great as I'd expect...
I hear that is because they focus so much on the theory/legal academia side of things that their students don't necessarily leave prepared to pass the bar. Apparently Hilary Clinton failed the bar exam on her first try. Obama went to Harvard and passed on his first try.

Let's not pretend that this matters though. If you go to Yale and can't pass the bar then you must think you're too smart to study or something.

jerwood84

New

Post by jerwood84 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:00 am

Explanation for U of Miami's 11 point rise could be the fact that Miami eliminated their P/T program the year before. There is strong indication that U of Miami will make another large jump next year as they aquired ASU's dean, hired 5 new faculty for 2009/10 which increases student/faculty ratio and they are finishing up the schools new building. U of Miami is making some smart moves. Kudo's.

SpartanNY

New

Post by SpartanNY » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:20 am

redskinsgibbs wrote:

You're right! Montana is a huge ass state, and it was not represented! What about Alaska? That state is quite large as well, yet no representation in the top 50. There are 50 states, and 50 spots in the T1. Why not just have one school from each state!? I mean really, there is no way the state of NY could house 5 T1 schools!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dantimreynolds

New

Post by dantimreynolds » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:25 am

SpartanNY wrote:
redskinsgibbs wrote:

You're right! Montana is a huge ass state, and it was not represented! What about Alaska? That state is quite large as well, yet no representation in the top 50. There are 50 states, and 50 spots in the T1. Why not just have one school from each state!? I mean really, there is no way the state of NY could house 5 T1 schools!

Dude, Montana and Alaska have a combined population that is probobly less than brooklyn. Florida is a hugley populated state that has a giant legal market.

What this really says to me though is not that the USNWR is failing, but the Florida law schools are. Obviously there is a demand for a T1 school in Florida, yet these deans can't seem to get it done. If I was FSU I would go out and pay twice the money that T25 dean would get and simply tell him or her to "fix it." If I were a long standing dean of admissions I would consider it a challenge of a career. Can you imagine being the guy to get a florida school into the T30? Thats an accomplishment right there.

Zephyr873

New

Post by Zephyr873 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:25 am

I'm surprised Pitt didn't jump up more. The new Law and Entrepreneurship program is supposed to be great. Needless to say, I don't feel bad about declining my offers from Temple and PSU. When taking ties into consideration, they are all only separated by one point in the rankings. It's amazing how all of the PA schools (other than Penn) are so similarly regarded. I wonder how interchangeable they are?

SpartanNY

New

Post by SpartanNY » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:30 am

dantimreynolds wrote:
SpartanNY wrote:
redskinsgibbs wrote:

Dude, Montana and Alaska have a combined population that is probobly less than brooklyn. Florida is a hugley populated state that has a giant legal market.

What this really says to me though is not that the USNWR is failing, but the Florida law schools are. Obviously there is a demand for a T1 school in Florida, yet these deans can't seem to get it done. If I was FSU I would go out and pay twice the money that T25 dean would get and simply tell him or her to "fix it." If I were a long standing dean of admissions I would consider it a challenge of a career. Can you imagine being the guy to get a florida school into the T30? Thats an accomplishment right there.
I'm actually quite aware of the populations in Alaska and Montana (thanks though). I was being sarcastic, although your statement about the population size in brooklyn clearly lends itself to NYC's ability to house several T1 schools.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:51 am

jerwood84 wrote:Explanation for U of Miami's 11 point rise could be the fact that Miami eliminated their P/T program the year before. There is strong indication that U of Miami will make another large jump next year as they aquired ASU's dean, hired 5 new faculty for 2009/10 which increases student/faculty ratio and they are finishing up the schools new building. U of Miami is making some smart moves. Kudo's.
I don't know about that. There's also a good chance that they'll fall, especially given their 89% acceptance rate, incoming class of 1900 students, and student-to-teacher ratio of 27:1. That, and their motto of "if you're willing to pay, we're willing to accept you," could all hurt them next year.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”