UC Irvine Law acceptance rate released: LOWER THAN YALE'S Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
darkarmour

Bronze

Re: UC Irvine Law acceptance rate released: LOWER THAN YALE'S

Post by darkarmour » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:54 pm

I think UCI has been discussed to death... I'm guessing the most important selling points are:

1) free tuition
2) UC brand name
3) FUCKING INCREDIBLE PROFESSORS LINED UP, ALL HEAVY HITTERS IN ACADEMIA [source]

Mr. Costello

New

Post by Mr. Costello » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:54 pm

Kudos to them for getting an inaugural class with very good potential for success; however, it will be interesting to see what happens in the following years leading up to accreditation and their actual first ranking.

... and I'm glad to see my rejection there puts me in good and numerous company.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:55 pm

That's definitely impressive. I guess maybe I'll stop laughing at their top 20 ambitions, at least until the results from the next class come out.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:56 pm

68 seats? At almost a third the size of Yale (which I believe is the smallest law school in the country?) this school is well-positioned to game a system that is notoriously biased in favor of smaller schools. With so few seats, I guess it makes sense that they were able to nail down a group of people who were committed to attending so that they could ding everybody else. Did they have ED admissions?

KiwiApple

New

Post by KiwiApple » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:56 pm

darkarmour wrote:I think UCI has been discussed to death... I'm guessing the most important selling points are:

1) free tuition
2) UC brand name
3) FUCKING INCREDIBLE PROFESSORS LINED UP, ALL HEAVY HITTERS IN ACADEMIA [source]

No, that ranking is mostly because of Erwin. If he goes to XXX school, that XXX school will be up there in the rankings.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

enygma

Bronze

Post by enygma » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:57 pm

KiwiApple wrote:
frotteur wrote:
darkarmour wrote:
KiwiApple wrote: Now I am wondering how many of the 110 students are CA residents.
Beats me, but I'm guessing ~35-40 out of the 68 0L students are Californians.
I think that's likely.
68? Isn't that over-enrolling?

On to other news:

Admission Denied Due To Unpaid Student Loans

The New York Appellate Division for the Third Judicial Department denied the application for bar admission of an applicant who had passed the February 2008 bar exam. The applicant disclosed student loans with a total balance of $430,000. He professed an intent to repay and "attributed his nonpayment to the downturn in the economy and bad faith negotiations on the part of some of the loan servicers." The court noted that the loans dated back to 1985, he had not made substantial payments and "had not been flexible" in dealing with the loan servicers. (Mike Frisch)

How can you possibly get 430k in LS loans?
maybe not paying them at all for 24 years?

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:57 pm

bigben wrote:68 seats? At almost a third the size of Yale (which I believe is the smallest law school in the country?) this school is well-positioned to game a system that is notoriously biased in favor of smaller schools. With so few seats, I guess it makes sense that they were able to nail down a group of people who were committed to attending so that they could ding everybody else. Did they have ED admissions?
Ah, the cynics rear up their heads. Just kidding. I actually do agree with you.

fluffy

New

Post by fluffy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:57 pm

macattaq wrote:But...will it hold up next year? They most likely aren't going to be offering a full ride to the next class, so that'll probably deter some people from applying.

The economy *could* pick up between now and next cycle, which would also stop some people from applying.

Most importantly, the school could suck, which will certainly stop many people from applying.

What I'm saying is: the numbers look great for this first class, but it doesn't mean jack to me. What will mean something is if they can maintain for 5+ years.
Exactly. Free tuition and the allure of being in the inaugural class are the draws here. After that, far fewer "qualified" people would want to pay sticker (or close to it) at a new school with no alumni. Furthermore, if they keep the ratio of females to males that high, you could count me out! (though my #s would make me auto reject anyway)

Whatisthis

Bronze

Post by Whatisthis » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:58 pm

{
KiwiApple wrote:
Whatisthis wrote:This school doesn't even have a building yet, let alone the fact that it isn't even ABA- accredited. Why would these people who could have presumably gone to USC choose this school?

I really don’t get it.
:?: Oh they have a building alright.
Does the law school have its own building? I thought they were holding classes in various buildings throughout the campus.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

darkarmour

Bronze

Post by darkarmour » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:59 pm

KiwiApple wrote:
darkarmour wrote:I think UCI has been discussed to death... I'm guessing the most important selling points are:

1) free tuition
2) UC brand name

No, that ranking is mostly because of Erwin. If he goes to XXX school, that XXX school will be up there in the rankings.
Maybe, but Leiter took that into account when projecting the UCI's faculty impact. SEE:
The new law faculty at the University of California at Irvine presents a special case. So far, they have only a bit more than a dozen faculty. Given Dean Chemerinsky’s very high citation count (he is now the most cited full-time law professor in the country, with Sunstein’s departure for government service), to simply add his cite count to the currently small number of faculty would produce highly misleading results. At the same time, as a new law school, some indication of its scholarly impact performance seems especially relevant, so I have adopted the following device: I have assumed that the next thirteen hires will have the same scholarly impact as those already hired (not including Chemerinsky), and thus have estimated Irvine’s per capita impact score on that basis (so basically Chemerinsky’s citations plus (the total citations of all other faculty times 2) divided by the (current faculty size x 2) plus Chemerinsky).

KiwiApple

New

Post by KiwiApple » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:59 pm

Whatisthis wrote:{
KiwiApple wrote:
Whatisthis wrote:This school doesn't even have a building yet, let alone the fact that it isn't even ABA- accredited. Why would these people who could have presumably gone to USC choose this school?

I really don’t get it.
:?: Oh they have a building alright.
Does the law school have its own building? I thought they were holding classes in various buildings throughout the campus.
Yeah the Donald B. building.

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:00 pm

KiwiApple wrote:
frotteur wrote:
darkarmour wrote:
KiwiApple wrote: Now I am wondering how many of the 110 students are CA residents.
Beats me, but I'm guessing ~35-40 out of the 68 0L students are Californians.
I think that's likely.
68? Isn't that over-enrolling?

On to other news:

The New York Appellate Division for the Third Judicial Department denied the application for bar admission of an applicant who had passed the February 2008 bar exam. The applicant disclosed student loans with a total balance of $430,000. He professed an intent to repay and "attributed his nonpayment to the downturn in the economy and bad faith negotiations on the part of some of the loan servicers." The court noted that the loans dated back to 1985, he had not made substantial payments and "had not been flexible" in dealing with the loan servicers. (Mike Frisch)

Probably includes loans from a private undergrad, too.

KiwiApple

New

Post by KiwiApple » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:01 pm

enygma wrote:
KiwiApple wrote:

maybe not paying them at all for 24 years?

I am thinking maybe he was living large as a law student.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Arrow

Bronze

Post by Arrow » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:02 pm

Wow, I am very impressed. After reading Chemerinsky's book, I have to say he must also be an amazing Dean.

The low acceptance rate is definitely going to boost their rankings up so much (as everyone else has said).

They should take transfers too (and give their transfer class all full scholarships ). This way, the entire 2L year will only be transfers (there will be no stigma) and the classes will be super small. Also, I wonder if they rejected people with super high numbers to yield protect. They must have chosen their range very carefully.

They may get a high ranking to start (from these statistics), but can they keep it over the years (as people above have challenged). When they stop giving everyone full scholarships, the LSAT/GPA of the class will likely fall.

calapp09

New

Post by calapp09 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:03 pm

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:04 pm

dresden doll wrote:
bigben wrote:68 seats? At almost a third the size of Yale (which I believe is the smallest law school in the country?) this school is well-positioned to game a system that is notoriously biased in favor of smaller schools. With so few seats, I guess it makes sense that they were able to nail down a group of people who were committed to attending so that they could ding everybody else. Did they have ED admissions?
Ah, the cynics rear up their heads. Just kidding. I actually do agree with you.
Cynical maybe, but not judgmental. More power to them.

rightthat

New

Post by rightthat » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:06 pm

I'm impressed. And I'm sure they were smart about who they made offers to, but I also think that the downturn in the economy could not have come at a better time for their three-years-free-tuition offer (though some will undoubtedly make an argument with respect to choosing prestige and job-prospects over $$$ in the short-term/ debt minimization).

Keep in mind, however, that with an inaugural class of 68 students, which is less than 40% the size of Yale/Stanford/Chicago, less than 13% the size of Harvard, and less than about 20% the size of Michigan, Columbia, NYU, Virginia, Penn, or Berkeley. My percentages may be rough, get over it. In addition, I would guess that many of the students who applied to UCI did not apply to the other schools I've already mentioned, and many of their total pool probably didn't even apply to the T20-25 schools. Free tuition + Cali + major recession = large applicant pool. Heck, the free tuition alone probably would have been sufficient.

Ahh ... so some of my points have already been made, I see ...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Brucewaynegretzky

New

Post by Brucewaynegretzky » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:07 pm

I think they will be able to maintain their stats level next year. They will likely take another VERY small class and when people can research the school and see what kind of stats they accept they will draw more applicants with those numbers. Isn't that the process most people here used to determine where they were applying? It won't be difficult for them to get 60 more students of the same caliber. It's not like they won't have ANY scholarships. They can still use schollies to draw superb applicants. Overall, I think this incoming class will create a really strong foundation for the school in the future.

bigben

Silver

Post by bigben » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:11 pm

Arrow wrote:Also, I wonder if they rejected people with super high numbers to yield protect. They must have chosen their range very carefully.
I think it's clear that they engaged in "yield protection," but not by choosing a range of numbers. They seem to have literally narrowed it down to a group of people who were committed or feigned commitment to attending the school, and just chose the highest numbers out of that crowd. Everyone else was dinged.

Oblomov

Bronze

Post by Oblomov » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:13 pm

calapp09 wrote:from http://www.law.uci.edu/press_releases/04-16-09.html

The law school's yield rate, or the percentage of admitted students who choose to attend, is 62%, with 68 students committing to come from 110 who were accepted. This is second only to Harvard Law School, which has a 68% percent yield rate, and Yale, with a 78% rate, according to ABA data.
Mattth Fail.

KiwiApple

New

Post by KiwiApple » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:15 pm

bigben wrote:
Arrow wrote:Also, I wonder if they rejected people with super high numbers to yield protect. They must have chosen their range very carefully.
I think it's clear that they engaged in "yield protection," but not by choosing a range of numbers. They seem to have literally narrowed it down to a group of people who were committed or feigned commitment to attending the school, and just chose the highest numbers out of that crowd. Everyone else was dinged.
No. They accepted everyone with 164+ in the beginning of the cycle. Then later they started looking at GPAs too because they got even more applications.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:16 pm

Oblomov wrote:

The law school's yield rate, or the percentage of admitted students who choose to attend, is 62%, with 68 students committing to come from 110 who were accepted. This is second only to Harvard Law School, which has a 68% percent yield rate, and Yale, with a 78% rate, according to ABA data.
Mattth Fail.
Wow, lol. Says a lot about the quality of UC Irvine. (sarcasm, before someone posts an angry response)

Oblomov

Bronze

Post by Oblomov » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:18 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Oblomov wrote:

Mattth Fail.
Wow, lol. Says a lot about the quality of UC Irvine. (sarcasm, before someone posts an angry response)
Maybe they just don't consider Yale a law school. Wouldn't be a groundless assertion.

KiwiApple

New

Post by KiwiApple » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:18 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Oblomov wrote:

Mattth Fail.
Hey. You need to twist your statistics SOMEHOW. :lol:

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:31 pm

Arrow wrote:Wow, I am very impressed. After reading Chemerinsky's book, I have to say he must also be an amazing Dean.

The low acceptance rate is definitely going to boost their rankings up so much (as everyone else has said).

They should take transfers too (and give their transfer class all full scholarships ). This way, the entire 2L year will only be transfers (there will be no stigma) and the classes will be super small. Also, I wonder if they rejected people with super high numbers to yield protect. They must have chosen their range very carefully.

They may get a high ranking to start (from these statistics), but can they keep it over the years (as people above have challenged). When they stop giving everyone full scholarships, the LSAT/GPA of the class will likely fall.
I'm not fully sure how this works out, but I think rankings take into account previous year's medians alone. And UCI won't be ranked for a couple of years until they get accredited. So I don't see how this year's medians will boost their rankings at all, unless they manage to give them enough of a head start that they're able to maintain what they've got until the accreditation/rankings kick in.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”