Lowest LSAT score ever :( Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
KLP

New

Re: Lowest LSAT score ever :(

Post by KLP » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:22 am

I wish i was a flame! LOL! But i enrolled in the powerscore prep course and yesterday we did our first exam and that's honestly what i got, i totally freaked out and I didnt want to guess on any questions because i wanted to get an accurate indication of where i was so i did leave a lot of answers blank, I answered 15 in the 1st section, 2 in the second section, 15 in the 3rd section and 8 in the last section (so i did skip a lot and just put a mark next to the answer choices that i thought were right in the test booklet, but didnt calculate them in my final score. They were really pretty hit or miss anyway. But regardless even skipping a lot I still did horrible on the ones i did answer and enter, so i kinda feel like im screwed. I have already payed 1200 for this damn course and realistically i want a score in the high 50's low 60's score. I want to go to a local MN school like William Mitchel or St. Thomas, so i was just wondering what you guys thought. The LSAT is a B!TCH, even worse than i though honestly.

teaadntoast

Bronze

Post by teaadntoast » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:24 am

OP, which was the section in which you answered two questions?

KLP

New

Post by KLP » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:26 am

GAMES!! I really froze on that section.

Lily

New

Post by Lily » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:26 am

KLP wrote:I wish i was a flame! LOL! But i enrolled in the powerscore prep course and yesterday we did our first exam and that's honestly what i got, i totally freaked out and I didnt want to guess on any questions because i wanted to get an accurate indication of where i was so i did leave a lot of answers blank, I answered 15 in the 1st section, 2 in the second section, 15 in the 3rd section and 8 in the last section (so i did skip a lot and just put a mark next to the answer choices that i thought were right in the test booklet, but didnt calculate them in my final score. They were really pretty hit or miss anyway. But regardless even skipping a lot I still did horrible on the ones i did answer and enter, so i kinda feel like im screwed. I have already payed 1200 for this damn course and realistically i want a score in the high 50's low 60's score. I want to go to a local MN school like William Mitchel or St. Thomas, so i was just wondering what you guys thought. The LSAT is a B!TCH, even worse than i though honestly.
OK. I think you can do this. You just need to get to know the test. If you don't know an answer, you NEED to guess. No points off for a wrong anserr, so you might as well. You can usually eliminate 2 or 3 answers pretty easily. Then, you just guess. I am glad you're in a class. Just focus on getting as much out of the class as you can. Keep us posted on your progress, because I am interested in seeing how much you can improve with the class.

Good luck.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:28 am

KLP wrote:I wish i was a flame! LOL! But i enrolled in the powerscore prep course and yesterday we did our first exam and that's honestly what i got, i totally freaked out and I didnt want to guess on any questions because i wanted to get an accurate indication of where i was so i did leave a lot of answers blank, I answered 15 in the 1st section, 2 in the second section, 15 in the 3rd section and 8 in the last section (so i did skip a lot and just put a mark next to the answer choices that i thought were right in the test booklet, but didnt calculate them in my final score. They were really pretty hit or miss anyway. But regardless even skipping a lot I still did horrible on the ones i did answer and enter, so i kinda feel like im screwed. I have already payed 1200 for this damn course and realistically i want a score in the high 50's low 60's score. I want to go to a local MN school like William Mitchel or St. Thomas, so i was just wondering what you guys thought. The LSAT is a B!TCH, even worse than i though honestly.
Jokes aside, you should be able to do it. Get over the jitters and learn the strats. It's not a hard test.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

teaadntoast

Bronze

Post by teaadntoast » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:31 am

KLP wrote:GAMES!! I really froze on that section.
That's actually really encouraging.

Games are very, very learnable. It takes lots of consistent practice, and you may need to try about a few different methods, but you can improve your performance significantly in this section via sheer effort.

doinmybest

Bronze

Post by doinmybest » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:33 am

jigga-hjalmar wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:OP, welcome to TLS. We all started out testing low and through study and the constant warmth and support on this board, we were able to get higher scores. I myself went from a 123 to a 176. We're all here for you. You can do it!
Actually I improved my score due to constant harassment and belittlement from posters on this board. I was humiliated into studying my ass off for a decent score.
+1

youpiiz

Bronze

Post by youpiiz » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:35 am

Last edited by youpiiz on Wed May 06, 2009 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:38 am

Dude. If you're not a flame, I'm TOTALLY sorry.

FWIW, teaandtoast is right that games are highly learnable. I went from -13 on my diagnostic to -3 on the real thing. With a lot of effort, you should be able to break 150...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NayBoer

Silver

Post by NayBoer » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:40 am

At some point, if you answer every question, it becomes difficult to get a score this low. In fact, I'll bet on a lot of tests simply bubbling D for every answer would yield a higher score.

However, it's possible to get familiar with the test to the point where you actually attempt to answer more than 40 questions. The games, for example, can get much easier once you learn how to diagram.

When taking the real LSAT, remember - guessing is not penalized. A blank answer and a wrong answer both count for zero, just like the SAT. So if you're low on time, guess away (e.g. always guess D).

reasontobelieve

New

Post by reasontobelieve » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:43 am

i think the test is learnable, but only to a certain extent. games a very learnable, but i think logical reasoning is less so, and reading comp really isn't at all (at least not in a few months). i'm sure you can get your score into the 150s though. the question is, what kind of law school did you envision yourself going to? if the answer is hofstra, it's possible; if the answer is georgetown, i just really really doubt it.

edit: oh, now i see you've already mentioned where you'd like to go. i think high 150s probably a reachable goal.
Last edited by reasontobelieve on Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

jackrabbitjones

New

Post by jackrabbitjones » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:43 am

jcfcporto wrote:
Lily wrote:
youpiiz wrote:this is very interesting. i recall reading a good number of threads where people were relatively encouraging towards ops who had scored in their 140s for the diagnostic.
you guys really think a 127 diag and a 14x diag is that diff?
aside from whether this thread is flame or not, id like to hear what you guys think about this.
When I first read this, I pulled out a PT I have sitting right here and looked up the raw score for a 127 on this test (52). On this particular test, the raw score that would get you a 127 was 22. So, 22 correct answers out of 100 questions. To get a 141 on this same test, your raw score would be 41 or 42 correct. I see that as a huge difference. I don't think it is impossible to improve to a "doable" score, but it is going to require much more than just self-study, I would say.

I need to point out that this mean that the OP only got 2 more correct than would be expected if he randomly guessed or chose the same letter throughout the test.
Actually I think if you had answered all D's (statistically the most popular answer) you would have scored better than 127.

blondie

New

Post by blondie » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:06 pm

Just curious...when/if the OP comes back to let us know that he improved significantly and scored in the low 150s, are the same posters who are presently encouraging him going to then rail against his acceptance to a T3 school and tell him he should probably reconsider a law career if that's the best he can do?

OP, I mean you no offense whatsoever and I wish you the very best of luck. I just think some of the people here are kind of hypocritical. Or do they honestly think a 152 is strong enough to get into a T50 school?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KLP

New

Post by KLP » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:48 pm

blondie wrote:Just curious...when/if the OP comes back to let us know that he improved significantly and scored in the low 150s, are the same posters who are presently encouraging him going to then rail against his acceptance to a T3 school and tell him he should probably reconsider a law career if that's the best he can do?

OP, I mean you no offense whatsoever and I wish you the very best of luck. I just think some of the people here are kind of hypocritical. Or do they honestly think a 152 is strong enough to get into a T50 school?

No offense taken, I completely understand why you are asking.And i am aware of the way lower tired schools are ranked on this board, and the pros and cons of a t1 versus a t3. But in my case i am actually working as a case coordinator for an organization called Restorative Justice Community Action. (I work with offenders of Misdemeanors and spend a lot o time in the court room and with city attorneys) I was interning with the organization for my senior project in undergrad and shortly after graduation offered a full time position (I graduated in December). I would actually like to continue my work here or maybe start my own program. My current director is a graduate from Hamline University here in MN so my decision to attend a T3 is kinda in line with my career goals. I like what i do as a case coordinator i would just like to do more and start more programs, which is kinda over stepping my boundaries.I know you didnt ask why i'm interested in a T3 but just thought it may help bit if i shared my reasoning... BTW, i'm a girl! :)

blondie

New

Post by blondie » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:02 pm

Sorry, I didn't know if you were male or female so I just took a guess. In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with going to a low ranking school so long as have realistic goals for yourself, which it sounds like you do. I'm going that route myself with a scholarship since I did not want to take on $150,000 in debt to get where I want to be as an attorney.

Skadden Stairs

Bronze

Post by Skadden Stairs » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:07 pm

jackrabbitjones wrote:
jcfcporto wrote:
Lily wrote:
youpiiz wrote:this is very interesting. i recall reading a good number of threads where people were relatively encouraging towards ops who had scored in their 140s for the diagnostic.
you guys really think a 127 diag and a 14x diag is that diff?
aside from whether this thread is flame or not, id like to hear what you guys think about this.
When I first read this, I pulled out a PT I have sitting right here and looked up the raw score for a 127 on this test (52). On this particular test, the raw score that would get you a 127 was 22. So, 22 correct answers out of 100 questions. To get a 141 on this same test, your raw score would be 41 or 42 correct. I see that as a huge difference. I don't think it is impossible to improve to a "doable" score, but it is going to require much more than just self-study, I would say.

I need to point out that this mean that the OP only got 2 more correct than would be expected if he randomly guessed or chose the same letter throughout the test.
Actually I think if you had answered all D's (statistically the most popular answer) you would have scored better than 127.
Someone did this on a PT and got a 127.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:09 pm

treple wrote:Flame.

I know 2 people who got 130's...one of them did it twice. This is on the real test.

He thought it was cool that he didn't study at all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cfishy305

New

Post by cfishy305 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:13 pm

Uhh... I think only answering 2 questions on a section with about 25 questions in it isn't something that a class can teach. I think answering two questions... 2... dos... questions in 35 minutes is borderline "Maybe I shouldn't go to law school."

TWO QUESTIONS? REALLY?

I say this is a flame for sure. I don't think any college attending human being can only answer two questions of anything in 35 minutes. I'll take the MCAT right now and do better and I'm no genius. Call me an asshole all you want. I'm just saying what everyone is thinking.

Seriously dude... good luck and uhh... godspeed?

blondie

New

Post by blondie » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:26 pm

cfishy305 wrote:Call me an asshole all you want. I'm just saying what everyone is thinking.
Maybe everyone else was polite enough not to say anything, asshole.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”