Please tender your advice... I'm considering a few options..

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which Option Should I Choose?

Option 1
4
4%
Option 2
8
8%
Option 3
94
89%
 
Total votes: 106

User avatar
wolfpack-avvocato
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: Please tender your advice... I'm considering a few options..

Postby wolfpack-avvocato » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:06 am

iheartlaw wrote:I just wanted to clarify that although I want biglaw, what I want most is the credentials to be able to succeed post graduation. To me success will be measured by my ability as an attorney as well as my stipend coming out LS. I aspire to practice IP Law, although I do not have a technical background (i'm Poli Sci). I just think I would be a tremendous IP litigator, and that I could truly be a great attorney. I am also considering transactional, a & m, corp sec., among other legal disciplines as well. Please keep the advice coming! <3

Ok, I don't mean to be the douchey negative guy but give me a break man. I got over you wanting biglaw more than anything else, you can overcome your situation and make it, I am quite sure it's happened before. But now you just aren't making any sense, IP law and no technical background whatsoever? Are you planning on doing a little engineering or biochem while in law school? Retake the LSAT and shoot for the best school you can, but seriously, I say this in the most honest advice giving way possible, drop the IP dream, you don't meet the qualifications, and with ZERO technical background, you can be a hell of an attorney but would suck ass at IP. If IP is something you wanted so bad you should have started working on that a very long time ago. I want to be an aeronautical engineer but could hardly pass calc 1, you need to sit down and consider your limitations, and set realistic goals.

User avatar
MannekenPis
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:49 pm

Re: Please tender your advice... I'm considering a few options..

Postby MannekenPis » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:44 am

wolfpack-avvocato wrote: you need to sit down and consider your limitations, and set realistic goals.


+1

I think a school of USC's caliber is out of the question at this point. If you only had 1 LSAT, and then you scored 170+ I can see you getting into T30 schools, but with your lowish GPA and two attempts, I'd say you should shoot for some more realistic schools. That being said, you need to set your sights a little lower than a +100K job.

Is it actually being a lawyer that is appealing to you or the money? If you're confident enough in your work ethic that you can finish top 10%, then you can probably be successful in a field other than law and make tons of money (if that's your thing).

If you're dead set on being a lawyer, then going to a lower-ranked law school and taking a job with a pedestrian salary wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

iheartlaw
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: Please tender your advice... I'm considering a few options..

Postby iheartlaw » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:24 am

The IP dream stemmed from my legal experience working in-house for IBM's legal team. I was apart of every infringement case, and the attorney representing us from Wilmer Hale, Mr. William F. Lee, who is a TREMENDOUS litigator, was a mentor to me. He told me about how he didn't have a technical background, and that many other IP attorney's didn't have an "engineering" background. He laughed saying "even if someone did have a technical background in say electrical engineering, are they going to have any clue as to how this scientist invented this technology? no way." So after working with IBM for so long, and developing a passion for IP, I decided I wanted to pursue IP law. Maybe it is foolish of me, considering I could never sit for the Patent Bar, seeing as how I dont have a technical background, but from my understanding a very small percentage of only about 15-20% of IP attorneys have passed the patent bar (i may be entirely wrong on this though). Anyways, I still have time, and am very much considering transactional law, m & a, corp sec., business litigation, etc.

And Manneken- yes I want to be a lawyer. which is why I am going through this whole process... =)

User avatar
Giles Rich
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:52 am

Re: Please tender your advice... I'm considering a few options..

Postby Giles Rich » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:25 am

iheartlaw wrote:The IP dream stemmed from my legal experience working in-house for IBM's legal team. I was apart of every infringement case, and the attorney representing us from Wilmer Hale, Mr. William F. Lee, who is a TREMENDOUS litigator, was a mentor to me. He told me about how he didn't have a technical background, and that many other IP attorney's didn't have an "engineering" background. He laughed saying "even if someone did have a technical background in say electrical engineering, are they going to have any clue as to how this scientist invented this technology? no way." So after working with IBM for so long, and developing a passion for IP, I decided I wanted to pursue IP law. Maybe it is foolish of me, considering I could never sit for the Patent Bar, seeing as how I dont have a technical background, but from my understanding a very small percentage of only about 15-20% of IP attorneys have passed the patent bar (i may be entirely wrong on this though). Anyways, I still have time, and am very much considering transactional law, m & a, corp sec., business litigation, etc.

And Manneken- yes I want to be a lawyer. which is why I am going through this whole process... =)


IP litigation is one of the careers that I think law school prestige really matters. I've been working in the patent field for a number of years now and have definitely seen a correlation between successful IP litigators and ranking of school they attended. The correlation is not nearly as pronounced for patent prosecution (which unfortunately you cannot do).

Notwithstanding, I don't think you HAVE to attend a great school to be a successful IP litigator. The most important factor will be the networking and contacts you make, which is often easier coming from a top ranked school. But if you are able to get your foot in the door at Wilmer Hale (great firm) through prior networking, then what school you went to isn't as important.

I would actually consider Franklin Pierce as a serious option (assuming your only other option is Hofstra). Franklin Pierce has a very strong alumni network in the IP field and several of the Professors there are very well regarded (particularly Karl Jorda). If you network with them, they should be able to open some doors. Also they have probably the best/most diverse course options for someone considering patent law.

iheartlaw
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: Please tender your advice... I'm considering a few options..

Postby iheartlaw » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:59 pm

Giles rich- Thank you so much for your response. It's so awesome to speak to someone who has already gone through the process and is currently practicing. I have a few questions if you don't mind =)

1) I have a non-technical background in political science, is this going to dramatically effect my chances at becoming an IP attorney? Will I be at a major disadvantage because I won't be able to sit for the Patent Bar? Did you have any colleagues who chose to pursue IP law and didn't have a technical background as well? Any insight you can offer me would be greatly appreciated. Like I said I was drawn in to the IP realm, because of my experience working in-house for IBM, it might be the case that this discipline of law is not for me.

2) How do people really view Franklin Pierce Law Center? People have told me, to NOT go to to a school based on an individual ranking in a discipline you wish to study, but rather consider the school and its prestige.

3) If I were to marticulate at FPLC (Franklin Pierce Law Center) would I be able to take my degree back to Southern California or Northern California's IP legal markets? How do people view FPLC grads?

4) How important is it that I sit for the Patent Bar? Can I still be a successful IP attorney without that under my belt?

5) Do you have any colleagues who are from FPLC, or do you know of any attorney's that are from FPLC, how are they doing?

Thank you for all your help, you are really helping me while I make a critical decision in my life, and I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.

dante500
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:27 pm

Re: Please tender your advice... I'm considering a few options..

Postby dante500 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:06 pm

iheartlaw wrote:Giles rich- Thank you so much for your response. It's so awesome to speak to someone who has already gone through the process and is currently practicing. I have a few questions if you don't mind =)

1) I have a non-technical background in political science, is this going to dramatically effect my chances at becoming an IP attorney? Will I be at a major disadvantage because I won't be able to sit for the Patent Bar? Did you have any colleagues who chose to pursue IP law and didn't have a technical background as well? Any insight you can offer me would be greatly appreciated. Like I said I was drawn in to the IP realm, because of my experience working in-house for IBM, it might be the case that this discipline of law is not for me.

2) How do people really view Franklin Pierce Law Center? People have told me, to NOT go to to a school based on an individual ranking in a discipline you wish to study, but rather consider the school and its prestige.

3) If I were to marticulate at FPLC (Franklin Pierce Law Center) would I be able to take my degree back to Southern California or Northern California's IP legal markets? How do people view FPLC grads?

4) How important is it that I sit for the Patent Bar? Can I still be a successful IP attorney without that under my belt?

5) Do you have any colleagues who are from FPLC, or do you know of any attorney's that are from FPLC, how are they doing?

Thank you for all your help, you are really helping me while I make a critical decision in my life, and I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.


I think that first question has been addressed on here already. As for the others, and stuff specifically relating to IP law, I'd make the suggestion that you get in touch with an IP lawyer or a firm that has a decent IP rep and try and weasel a few minutes out of somebody to chit chat about this stuff. I think it's a much better idea than soliciting advice that may shape the course of your future which, unfortunately, you don't seem to know a great deal about at this point, and the majority of people on here are probably in the same boat as you. I wish you luck, but I have to reiterate that focusing on something other than IP law at this point will save you valuable time and trouble down the line, but talking to someone actually practicing in this field should really give you the answers you so desperately need now.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Please tender your advice... I'm considering a few options..

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:17 pm

iheartlaw wrote:A few things to consider:
- I want BIGLAW, or at least just BIGMONEY like 100K+
- I always had an image of myself growing up to be an attorney, a respected attorney... from a place like USC, not Hofstra...
- But I still really want to go to law school!! So bad that I am even considering Hofstra. And will work my ASSS off wherever I go.
- I ultimately want to live and practice in Southern CA.


Random thoughts...

You say that you will work hard when you go to law school. But you hardly through undergrad. And you blew off the LSAT. What will make you change when you start law school? Think about that.

BIGLAW with a degree from Hofstra is not impossible. But it will be difficult. To make it happen, you will have to be at the very top of your class.

If you're hung up on the "respect" that a degree from a school like USC confers, then be prepared to do what it takes to get there. Your initial post indicates otherwise.

Must you go to law school right now????? What's the rush?

iheartlaw
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: Please tender your advice... I'm considering a few options..

Postby iheartlaw » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:33 pm

Yeah you are totally right Opera. I was a bit of a slacker in UG, but I was also very busy in UG. I worked 40 hours a week, went to school full time, was president of my fraternity, VP of inter-fraternity council, philanthropy chair for my fraternity and club, and so much more. I guess I spread myself really thin over my studies. Which is no excuse for my poor performance, but like I said, I am a bright guy. When I try, I know I can excel. What I think will change my "habits" when I go to law school, is the pure motivation of knowing that i'm competing amongst my peers for essentially the bottom line of my job offer out of LS, and that more than anything compels me to work harder then I've ever worked before. I might sound insincere, but trust me when I say that making money is my favorite hobby. And that I will do whatever it takes to make sure that I put myself in the best position to succeed post LS.

I'm not necessarily hung up on RESPECT, it's just that, like everyone, I have expectations of myself. And unfortunately or fortunately for me (depending on how you look at it), I set the bar kind of high for myself. I know I can achieve it though, it will just take due diligence.

And to answer your final question, which is what I think i'm still trying to figure out..... I'm not sure =( I reallly reallllly want to go to law school this year, but with the offers I have received, I am obviously reconsidering my options. I guess there is no rush really, i'm only 23, and I am so young, it's just that I want to finish early, I want to make money, I want to do all the things that I have planned for my life post LS. And IMO I already wasted a year by not going to LS straight out of UG, and now I will be wasting two years! Well maybe wasting isn't the best way to phrase it, but you know what I mean.... bleh =\ such a huge dilemma, even after all this advice everyone has afforded me, i'm just as clueless as I was before, but it helps to hear what people think. I'm just afraid that the only opinions i'm getting are from T14 students, but I guess that I shouldn't be afraid to hear what they have to say, considering I hope to one day be in their same position....

BLAH! sorry... random thoughts here as well...

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Please tender your advice... I'm considering a few options..

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:38 pm

iheartlaw wrote:I just wanted to clarify that although I want biglaw, what I want most is the credentials to be able to succeed post graduation. To me success will be measured by my ability as an attorney as well as my stipend coming out LS. I aspire to practice IP Law, although I do not have a technical background (i'm Poli Sci). I just think I would be a tremendous IP litigator, and that I could truly be a great attorney. I am also considering transactional, a & m, corp sec., among other legal disciplines as well. Please keep the advice coming! <3


I don't mean to bust your chops, iheartlaw. But, what makes you think you'd make a tremendous IP litigator?

iheartlaw
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: Please tender your advice... I'm considering a few options..

Postby iheartlaw » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:45 pm

Opera- Well first off I have sat through more IP infringement cases than probably 99.99% of potential law school applicants, or people considering even entering the IP realm. I worked for IBM for an extended period of time. I worked for another IP consulting firm, of which I am currently the Managing director. Also, i'm just tech savvy and just love that shit! I'm a great speaker, i've seen the world's BEST IP litigators go head to head for hours on end. I guess I think I will be good, cause I've surrounded myself in this atmosphere over the past 4 years, and because it's something i'm truly passionate about. I don't know for certain that I will be a tremendous IP litigator, but i think in general I will be a tremendous attorney and litigator. If you met me, you would see why...

awesomepossum
Posts: 928
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 12:49 am

Re: Please tender your advice... I'm considering a few options..

Postby awesomepossum » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:57 pm

I think the great poet Skee-lo said it best:



I wish I was little bit taller,

I wish I was a baller,

I wish I had a girl who looked good

I would call her

I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat

and a six four Impala



btw....this was pure gold.

I don't know for certain that I will be a tremendous IP litigator, but i think in general I will be a tremendous attorney and litigator. If you met me, you would see why...



I'm glad Hofstra saw why.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: Please tender your advice... I'm considering a few options..

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:01 pm

iheartlaw wrote: I reallly reallllly want to go to law school this year, but with the offers I have received, I am obviously reconsidering my options. I guess there is no rush really, i'm only 23, and I am so young, it's just that I want to finish early, I want to make money, I want to do all the things that I have planned for my life post LS. And IMO I already wasted a year by not going to LS straight out of UG, and now I will be wasting two years! Well maybe wasting isn't the best way to phrase it, but you know what I mean.... bleh =\ such a huge dilemma, even after all this advice everyone has afforded me, i'm just as clueless as I was before, but it helps to hear what people think. I'm just afraid that the only opinions i'm getting are from T14 students, but I guess that I shouldn't be afraid to hear what they have to say, considering I hope to one day be in their same position....

BLAH! sorry... random thoughts here as well...


Now the truth is out, iheartlaw. You are young: you are only 23. You are not wasting any time by taking off an extra year before law school. If you play your cards right, you could even get into Northwestern next year.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: Please tender your advice... I'm considering a few options..

Postby dresden doll » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:07 pm

awesomepossum wrote:I think the great poet Skee-lo said it best:



I wish I was little bit taller,

I wish I was a baller,

I wish I had a girl who looked good

I would call her

I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat

and a six four Impala



btw....this was pure gold.

I don't know for certain that I will be a tremendous IP litigator, but i think in general I will be a tremendous attorney and litigator. If you met me, you would see why...



I'm glad Hofstra saw why.



:lol: :lol: :lol: AP is on the freaking roll this morning.

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Please tender your advice... I'm considering a few options..

Postby JazzOne » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:16 pm

awesomepossum wrote:I think the great poet Skee-lo said it best:



I wish I was little bit taller,

I wish I was a baller,

I wish I had a girl who looked good

I would call her

I wish I had a rabbit in a hat with a bat

and a six four Impala



btw....this was pure gold.

I don't know for certain that I will be a tremendous IP litigator, but i think in general I will be a tremendous attorney and litigator. If you met me, you would see why...



I'm glad Hofstra saw why.


lol

User avatar
john titor
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Please tender your advice... I'm considering a few options..

Postby john titor » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:22 pm

iheartlaw wrote:
john titor wrote:
iheartlaw wrote:John titor- Thank you so much for your response. I truly appreciate it.

I have a tremendous choice to make with in the next few days. I would still greatly appreciate any other views/opinions and your perspective on answers to my questions.

I am still wondering HOW BAD does it really look if I take the LSAT for my 3rd time in JUNE and for my 4th time in SEPTEMBER, will law schools look down on my scores?

Also, a huge concern for me, is whether or not I can raise my score to over 160, even with months of preparation. Like I said, the exam is very difficult for me, and I struggle greatly. I am a very bright person, but bleh, I wish I read more growing up!!! It would have served me so well in LR and RC.

Any additional advice anyone can give me would also be greatly appreciated.


The LSAT is 10% natural ability and 90% practice and work. If you really focus your energy on the LSAT from now until the next administration of the test, I think you will be glad you did. I really don't think that taking the LSAT again will hurt you that much. Also, if you can't raise your score a significant amount, what about Southwestern? If you're really determined to go to law school, you could maybe get in there.

http://southwestern.lawschoolnumbers.com/

So retake the LSAT. And even if you only boost your score by a couple points, southwestern looks like a good fit. It's in the area you want to work in and it looks like even your current numbers could possibly get you in. I'm a little concerned because you seem to have your heart set on biglaw a little bit. Biglaw is the most famous part of the legal profession but it really is one tiny part of it. If you are basing your decision about law school on the presumption that you will be a biglaw associate coming out of law school, I wouldn't.


You really think that the LSAT is 10% natural ability and 90% practice and work? I didn't allow myself enough time to prepare the first time around, but if you are right, then that is great motivation for me to work my ass off to make sure that I get the score I want this time around. Southwestern is a great school, but I don't think it's for me, or at least I don't want it to be for me, I got WL there though in case you are wondering. I think I'm going to just end up taking the LSAT in SEPT, but it would be nice to talk it in June and SEPT, i just think that adcomms will look down on that.

And I need to correct myself. I don't want to do biglaw, i just want to make BIGBUCKS. However, that may come about. But to my understanding BIGlaw is the best way. PS: for those of you wondering UCLA and USC place TREMENDOUSLY in LA area and SOCAL, and get wages in excess of 160k if they are at the top and mid 120's if they are average.


I really do, based on my own experience with the LSAT. My first cold diagnostic test, before I started prepping at all, was a 152. I got that up to 169, and my practice tests were anywhere from 167-175 (and one 180) during my last month of studying. So that's a 17 point increase just through studying and pounding the strategies and methods into my head over and over.

User avatar
benandjonice
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: Please tender your advice... I'm considering a few options..

Postby benandjonice » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:34 pm

iheartlaw wrote:I just wanted to clarify that although I want biglaw, what I want most is the credentials to be able to succeed post graduation. To me success will be measured by my ability as an attorney as well as my stipend coming out LS. I aspire to practice IP Law, although I do not have a technical background (i'm Poli Sci). I just think I would be a tremendous IP litigator, and that I could truly be a great attorney. I am also considering transactional, a & m, corp sec., among other legal disciplines as well. Please keep the advice coming! <3


You'll need a technical degree to practice IP if you want Biglaw. PoliSci is probably not going to cut it. Having been both a polisci goon/hard sciences myself, I think you really ought to know what you're getting into.

You also need to take a good look at the trend you've displayed in your posts. If you screwed around while preparing for quite possibly the most important 4-6 hours of your life, do you really think you'll be able to not screw around if you got lucky and made it to Biglaw?

iheartlaw
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: Please tender your advice... I'm considering a few options..

Postby iheartlaw » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:48 am

BUMP

iheartlaw
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: Please tender your advice... I'm considering a few options..

Postby iheartlaw » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:17 pm

BUMP

patentlaw
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:29 am

Re: Please tender your advice... I'm considering a few options..

Postby patentlaw » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:27 pm

iheartlaw wrote:Opera- Well first off I have sat through more IP infringement cases than probably 99.99% of potential law school applicants, or people considering even entering the IP realm. I worked for IBM for an extended period of time. I worked for another IP consulting firm, of which I am currently the Managing director. Also, i'm just tech savvy and just love that shit! I'm a great speaker, i've seen the world's BEST IP litigators go head to head for hours on end. I guess I think I will be good, cause I've surrounded myself in this atmosphere over the past 4 years, and because it's something i'm truly passionate about. I don't know for certain that I will be a tremendous IP litigator, but i think in general I will be a tremendous attorney and litigator. If you met me, you would see why...


So just to clarify, you've been out of school for 1 year, yet you've been working at IBM for at least 3 in IP litigation of some form and as an Managing Director at an IP consulting firm? And you got to that/those positions without having a technical background?

In any event, you can succeed as a patent litigator without a technical background, but it will be a long road. Most major IP litigation firms only hire associates with technical backgrounds, with exceptions made for exceptional students. You'd most likely have to prove your litigation chops in a smaller firm and work your way up (at least from what I've seen).

The Agitator
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:51 am

Re: Please tender your advice... I'm considering a few options..

Postby The Agitator » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:50 am

I'm convinced you're flame, but here it goes:

You are not going to get into any law school that would give you a high enough chance to earn the "Bigbucks" to make it worth it to go to law school.
You didn't study in undergrad, and got a 3.0. A lot of people blow off undergrad, and wind up with a GPA higher than that. You also studied for the LSAT for two months, and took two classes (if I read that right), yet you still wound up with a mediocre score. Plus, you want to get into a field of law which is concentrated in BigLaw (IP is a broad cateogry, and included patent, copyright, etc.) and for you to reach your goals, considering the schools you will get into, you would have to finish at the very top of your class, and there's no indication that you will do so. In short, it's not worth it, retake and if you don't do markedly better, give up the dream.

kaluza-k
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:48 pm

Re: Please tender your advice... I'm considering a few options..

Postby kaluza-k » Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:31 am

The Agitator wrote:I'm convinced you're flame, but here it goes:

You are not going to get into any law school that would give you a high enough chance to earn the "Bigbucks" to make it worth it to go to law school.
You didn't study in undergrad, and got a 3.0. A lot of people blow off undergrad, and wind up with a GPA higher than that. You also studied for the LSAT for two months, and took two classes (if I read that right), yet you still wound up with a mediocre score. Plus, you want to get into a field of law which is concentrated in BigLaw (IP is a broad cateogry, and included patent, copyright, etc.) and for you to reach your goals, considering the schools you will get into, you would have to finish at the very top of your class, and there's no indication that you will do so. In short, it's not worth it, retake and if you don't do markedly better, give up the dream.


+1, which is basically what I told you 4 days ago and a whole page ago. Stop wasting your time and our time. Either get busy studying for the LSAT (at which your posts would be welcomed in the LSAT Prep thread) or move on. I think this thread is a joke, but in case you really are this sincere, dense, and manic, I'll say it again: Your questions have been answered more than satisfactorily, move on.

iheartlaw
Posts: 236
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: Please tender your advice... I'm considering a few options..

Postby iheartlaw » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:38 pm

I didn't submit my fee for the deposit deadline to Hofstra today =X !!!! nor cal western, hamline, wnec, valparaiso or FPC... as of right now I have withdrawn from ALL of my acceptances.

PLEASE GOD let me in to ONE of the 12 schools I am still waiting to hear from or the 4 schools I am WL'd at
or give me the strength the conquer the LSATs and reapply next Fall.

Amen.

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: Please tender your advice... I'm considering a few options..

Postby NayBoer » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:09 pm

You remind of somebody I worked with taking UG classes at a community college, one at a time because otherwise it's too hard (still gets Bs and Cs, despite this pace), and expects to be able to eventually get an MS and a PhD in hard science and wind up researching super-futuristic technologies for the government. Of course, he has trouble with algebra and trig, but he doesn't seem ready to let go of the fantasy.

I also know somebody else, though not well, who as of partway through his UG was convinced he could and would be President someday. At 4, that can be cute. At 20, that can be incredibly annoying.

We all think we're smart, wonderful and amazing; I've known tons of people possessing both entirely average intelligence and a self-image of stunning brilliance. The trick is proving to other people that we're capable and so far you haven't been proving it to adcomms. I voted option 3, but after reading the rest of the thread, I'd amend it to this with the best possible intentions:

Re-take in June or September (not both). If you don't get a great score, consider another career.

I'll never be a pediatric neurosurgeon or a star shortstop or the guy who cures cancer. Not everybody has to be the best of the best. In fact, the vast majority of us aren't the best, and that's okay (cue Stuart Smalley). We can still have happy lives and profitable careers.

redskinsgibbs
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:16 pm

Re: Please tender your advice... I'm considering a few options..

Postby redskinsgibbs » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:51 pm

Try to transfer. The advice you get from TLS snobs is usually pretty bad. The one idiot above called it a flame.( how could average stats be a flame?)

You have to understand TLS posters for the most part are snobs. Transfering if frowned upon. By the responses you got on this thread some are even insulting you. They do not want to see someone bust their ass for 1 year and get into the law school they worked hard for 4 years plus LSAT to get into.

I say transfer because i think its easier to do nothing but study and focus in law school rather then study for a test that on test day something can trip you up. A game or a RC passage. The test unpredictable.

Go to transferapps on yahoo groups. You will get better advice on there. TLS is famous the advice" i will bust my ass and transfer" and the response is always YOU SHOULD OF DONE THAT in college. Go into another career path.

User avatar
jcl2
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Re: Please tender your advice... I'm considering a few options..

Postby jcl2 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:42 pm

If you can boost your lsat score to the low 160s you may have a good shot at UC Irvine next year, which would fit your goals pretty well. Their numbers certainly wont be as high when they are no longer giving everyone free tuition.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, ThatOneAfrican, zot1 and 8 guests