RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST: Bad economy threads go here!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST: Bad economy threads go here!

Postby beachbum » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:18 pm

summoner wrote:Oh, and enjoy, my special little snowflakes:


To get 160k out of biglaw she probably made top 10%. With two years of biglaw experience and good grades out of a good school, she had to turn to housecleaning, and still can't get any takers. But tell us how with no experience at all you'll be able to get a job out of law school.
summoner wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:Q: Why does this board get to have 500 "HOW DO I SHOT LOGICAL RESONIG" threads and 1000 "WAT SCHOOLS CAN I GET INTO WITH 168/3.1415" threads and only one thread about anything bad going on in the legal market?


This website profits financially from a lot of people with unrealistic law school goals. By consolidating it all into "Recession Panic Megapost" they try to accomplish three things:

1) Cut down on prospective law students seeing posts about the ridiculously bad market scattered among the various threads. Less eyeballs, less chance someone will see them.

2) State, completely untruthfully, that the recession is the cause of the legal hiring downturn, thus implying it will get better when the recession is over. Those of us in the field for a few years knew the legal education bubble was collapsing even before the economy got bad. The recession is just one factor, and frankly it's not even the biggest.

3) Denigrate the posts pointing out the horrible legal hiring situation with a snarky, sarcastic, mean-spirited, all-caps "RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST." Trying to make it seem silly, and irrational.


ABANDON SHIP! GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!

summoner
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:00 pm

Re: RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST: Bad economy threads go here!

Postby summoner » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:23 pm

beachbum wrote:ABANDON SHIP! GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!


I like how the only response the TLSers have these days is sarcasm, as if that somehow disproves what you're responding to. "Your house is on fire." "Riiiight, my house is on fire."

pocket herc
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Re: RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST: Bad economy threads go here!

Postby pocket herc » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:26 pm

ok, already mentioned this is another post you made regarding the same claim. She graduated from Fordham in 2007. She did not have to be in the top 10% to land biglaw, not remotely. And even though your point, that the legal market sucks, is very valid, it is hard to take you seriously when you start off with such hyperbole.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST: Bad economy threads go here!

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:27 pm

pocket herc wrote:ok, already mentioned this is another post you made regarding the same claim. She graduated from Fordham in 2007. She did not have to be in the top 10% to land biglaw, not remotely. And even though your point, that the legal market sucks, is very valid, it is hard to take you seriously when you start off with such hyperbole.


This. The sarcasm is because we understand what you are saying.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST: Bad economy threads go here!

Postby beachbum » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:32 pm

Personally, I was being sarcastic because I find you annoying and more than a little arrogant. Also, you brought back a long-dead thread with nothing to add but conspiracy theories and hyperbole.

summoner
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:00 pm

Re: RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST: Bad economy threads go here!

Postby summoner » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:03 pm

pocket herc wrote:ok, already mentioned this is another post you made regarding the same claim. She graduated from Fordham in 2007. She did not have to be in the top 10% to land biglaw, not remotely. And even though your point, that the legal market sucks, is very valid, it is hard to take you seriously when you start off with such hyperbole.


I started out with the link itself, not "hyperbole." She sent out 300+ job applications with no callbacks. A licensed attorney with two years of biglaw experience (in other words, at the point where lateral hiring is the easiest) can't find experience. Why do you think you, when you graduate law school, unlicensed, with no practical experience and no useful skills for a law firm, will find a job?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST: Bad economy threads go here!

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:09 pm

summoner wrote:I started out with the link itself, not "hyperbole." She sent out 300+ job applications with no callbacks. A licensed attorney with two years of biglaw experience (in other words, at the point where lateral hiring is the easiest) can't find experience. Why do you think you, when you graduate law school, unlicensed, with no practical experience and no useful skills for a law firm, will find a job?


Because I'm better than you. Nana boo boo.

summoner
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:00 pm

Re: RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST: Bad economy threads go here!

Postby summoner » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:11 pm

bk1 wrote:
summoner wrote:I started out with the link itself, not "hyperbole." She sent out 300+ job applications with no callbacks. A licensed attorney with two years of biglaw experience (in other words, at the point where lateral hiring is the easiest) can't find experience. Why do you think you, when you graduate law school, unlicensed, with no practical experience and no useful skills for a law firm, will find a job?


Because I'm better than you. Nana boo boo.


Me? Why are you bringing me into this? You're competing with her, not me. I have a job, don't need to find a new one right now.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST: Bad economy threads go here!

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:12 pm

summoner wrote:
pocket herc wrote:ok, already mentioned this is another post you made regarding the same claim. She graduated from Fordham in 2007. She did not have to be in the top 10% to land biglaw, not remotely. And even though your point, that the legal market sucks, is very valid, it is hard to take you seriously when you start off with such hyperbole.


I started out with the link itself, not "hyperbole." She sent out 300+ job applications with no callbacks. A licensed attorney with two years of biglaw experience (in other words, at the point where lateral hiring is the easiest) can't find experience. Why do you think you, when you graduate law school, unlicensed, with no practical experience and no useful skills for a law firm, will find a job?


I will need at least two more anecdotes to convince me to abandon the legal field.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST: Bad economy threads go here!

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:12 pm

summoner wrote:Me? Why are you bringing me into this? You're competing with her, not me. I have a job, don't need to find a new one right now.


Scamblogger is a sexy job title. By the way, none of us are competing with her for jobs. HTH.

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST: Bad economy threads go here!

Postby MTal » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:44 pm

pocket herc wrote:ok, already mentioned this is another post you made regarding the same claim. She graduated from Fordham in 2007. She did not have to be in the top 10% to land biglaw, not remotely. And even though your point, that the legal market sucks, is very valid, it is hard to take you seriously when you start off with such hyperbole.


It's even harder to take you seriously when you are so dismissive of the employment situation reality.

pocket herc
Posts: 222
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:34 pm

Re: RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST: Bad economy threads go here!

Postby pocket herc » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:45 pm

haha, I'm not. I think it's terrible out there.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST: Bad economy threads go here!

Postby beachbum » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:46 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
summoner wrote:
pocket herc wrote:ok, already mentioned this is another post you made regarding the same claim. She graduated from Fordham in 2007. She did not have to be in the top 10% to land biglaw, not remotely. And even though your point, that the legal market sucks, is very valid, it is hard to take you seriously when you start off with such hyperbole.


I started out with the link itself, not "hyperbole." She sent out 300+ job applications with no callbacks. A licensed attorney with two years of biglaw experience (in other words, at the point where lateral hiring is the easiest) can't find experience. Why do you think you, when you graduate law school, unlicensed, with no practical experience and no useful skills for a law firm, will find a job?


I will need at least two more anecdotes to convince me to abandon the legal field.


this actually made me lol

IlliteratePants
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST: Bad economy threads go here!

Postby IlliteratePants » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:13 pm

One thing of interest. Summoner was banned. The stated reason was "Spam." I would be curious to know why Summoner's posts constituted "Spam."

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST: Bad economy threads go here!

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:15 pm

"Spam: The reported post has the only purpose to advertise for a website or another product."

IlliteratePants
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST: Bad economy threads go here!

Postby IlliteratePants » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:29 pm

bk1 wrote:"Spam: The reported post has the only purpose to advertise for a website or another product."


If that is the spam rule for this forum, there was no product or website being advertised in any of summoner's posts. Summoner stated his opinions as to the legal market and various law programs. These opinions had nothing to do with advertising a product or website. Additionally, if stating one's opinions as to the legal market or various law programs constitutes spam, a great deal of persons will need to be banned for violating the spam policy.

Note: I am not a sock puppet for summoner. I am, in fact, a unique human being (not unique in the "I am special" sense :)).

To ensure this post remains on topic: the legal market is very bad. However, this is not due solely to the current state of the economy. There is also an oversupply of attorneys in the United States.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST: Bad economy threads go here!

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:35 pm

Fairly sure that he was driving shillingmesoftly.

You are likely an alt of that poster.

What do you even mean? Oversupply is a relative term.

IlliteratePants
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST: Bad economy threads go here!

Postby IlliteratePants » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:54 pm

bk1 wrote:Fairly sure that he was driving shillingmesoftly.

You are likely an alt of that poster.

What do you even mean? Oversupply is a relative term.


I assure you that I am not an alt. I know you will likely not believe it. However, it is the truth.

There are too many attorneys being produced for the number of jobs requiring a JD. This was true before the economic collapse. Each year, Less than 30,000 jobs are created which require a JD. There are 45,000 law school graduates every year. I am not a math genius, but 45,000 is a larger number than >30,000.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jan/08 ... -2010jan08

"While 45,000 law students graduate from law school each year, fewer than 30,000 attorney positions are available for these graduates, reported Mark Greenbaum of the Los Angeles Times."
Last edited by IlliteratePants on Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST: Bad economy threads go here!

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:03 pm

How did you know the account was banned for spam?

Yes, that is a huge disparity. It also fails to take into account how little some of those jobs pay in relation to the debt cost at many schools. However, it also ignores the fact that nobody here is saying that going to anything worse than a strong regional school is a financially sound option and that even strong regionals at sticker may be rough. Heck even the lower T14 ain't all rainbows and puppies.

We know this, we understand it. We are going in with our eyes open. The job you are trying to do is pointless as it is already common knowledge thus pushing it serves no useful purpose.

IlliteratePants
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST: Bad economy threads go here!

Postby IlliteratePants » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:09 pm

bk1 wrote:How did you know the account was banned for spam?

Yes, that is a huge disparity. It also fails to take into account how little some of those jobs pay in relation to the debt cost at many schools. However, it also ignores the fact that nobody here is saying that going to anything worse than a strong regional school is a financially sound option and that even strong regionals at sticker may be rough. Heck even the lower T14 ain't all rainbows and puppies.

We know this, we understand it. We are going in with our eyes open. The job you are trying to do is pointless as it is already common knowledge thus pushing it serves no useful purpose.


I am a poster on the board that "summoner" also posts. He pointed out he was banned at this forum. I was curious as to why he was banned. Now you know the rest of the story.

I do not think a lot of prospective law students know the horrible state of the legal market. I am currently a 3L at a TTT. I attended this school because of a scholarship. However, a great deal of my classmates are paying $30,000+ to attend. I cannot imagine they knew the state of the legal market as no one, who is not insane, would pay $30,000 per year plus living expenses to maybe (if you are lucky) earn $30k to 40k per year. To have a chance at one of the >30,000 jobs for attorneys. The group of posters on this site is, as a whole, almost undoubtedly more knowledgeable than a super amount of prospective law students.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18406
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST: Bad economy threads go here!

Postby bk1 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:22 pm

Undoubtedly. So it begs the question why bother making those posts here to the already informed? If the scambloggers truly wanted to be useful they would be standing on street corners or on the quad explaining this to people.

And as noted, I am fairly sure the poster was banned for repeatedly linking a scamblog.

IlliteratePants
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST: Bad economy threads go here!

Postby IlliteratePants » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:41 pm

bk1 wrote:Undoubtedly. So it begs the question why bother making those posts here to the already informed? If the scambloggers truly wanted to be useful they would be standing on street corners or on the quad explaining this to people.

And as noted, I am fairly sure the poster was banned for repeatedly linking a scamblog.


Well, it is my opinion this forum's optimism doesn't match reality. If these uninformed prospective students come to this forum, they may think the legal market is better than it actually is. Summoner and I present a different, in my opinion, more accurate view. In this way, the uninformed prospective students hear two sides of the story. Further, this site is more popular than other sites, and therefore, the uniformed are more likely to discover information at this site.
Last edited by IlliteratePants on Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST: Bad economy threads go here!

Postby firemed » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:13 pm

IlliteratePants wrote:
bk1 wrote:Undoubtedly. So it begs the question why bother making those posts here to the already informed? If the scambloggers truly wanted to be useful they would be standing on street corners or on the quad explaining this to people.

And as noted, I am fairly sure the poster was banned for repeatedly linking a scamblog.


Well, it is my opinion this forum's optimism doesn't match reality. If these uninformed prospective students come to this forum, they may think the legal market is better than it actually is. Summoner and I present a different, in my opinion, more accurate view. In this way, the potentially uniformed hear two sides of the story. Further, this site is more popular than other sites, and therefore, the uniformed are more likely to discover information at this site.



Dude/Dudette,

I don't think a single person on this forum with more than 3 posts is unaware of the fact that the market sucks, and if they somehow believe they are immune, well, then any amount of posting on your part will do nothing to change that fact.

IlliteratePants
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:10 pm

Re: RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST: Bad economy threads go here!

Postby IlliteratePants » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:35 pm

firemedicprelaw wrote:
IlliteratePants wrote:
bk1 wrote:Undoubtedly. So it begs the question why bother making those posts here to the already informed? If the scambloggers truly wanted to be useful they would be standing on street corners or on the quad explaining this to people.

And as noted, I am fairly sure the poster was banned for repeatedly linking a scamblog.


Well, it is my opinion this forum's optimism doesn't match reality. If these uninformed prospective students come to this forum, they may think the legal market is better than it actually is. Summoner and I present a different, in my opinion, more accurate view. In this way, the potentially uniformed hear two sides of the story. Further, this site is more popular than other sites, and therefore, the uniformed are more likely to discover information at this site.



Dude/Dudette,

I don't think a single person on this forum with more than 3 posts is unaware of the fact that the market sucks, and if they somehow believe they are immune, well, then any amount of posting on your part will do nothing to change that fact.


Well, it is not simply the "market sucking." It is a combination of the economy and an oversupply of attorneys. The idea that it is simply the economy is a bit of the "optimism" I was referring to.

Also, the person who was banned was not linking to their blog or any website they operate. They did link to a story which may or may not have been to a blog. They cannot remember. However, if they did link to a blog, they were not the operator as they do not run a blog or a website. My point is that it seems plausible summoner was banned as a result of expressing views outside of the mainstream for this forum. Perhaps a moderator could enlighten me?

firemed
Posts: 1195
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: RECESSION PANIC MEGAPOST: Bad economy threads go here!

Postby firemed » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:45 pm

IlliteratePants wrote:Well, it is not simply the "market sucking." It is a combination of the economy and an oversupply of attorneys. The idea that it is simply the economy is a bit of the "optimism" I was referring to.

Also, the person who was banned was not linking to their blog or any website they operate. They did link to a story which may or may not have been to a blog. They cannot remember. However, if they did link to a blog, they were not the operator as they do not run a blog or a website. My point is that it seems plausible summoner was banned as a result of expressing views outside of the mainstream for this forum. Perhaps a moderator could enlighten me?


The market sucks because of oversupply, the market sucks because of the economy, the market sucks because Cookie Monster switched to vegetables... whatever, doesn't matter, the JOB market for new lawyers sucks. We are aware.

And I, frankly, don't care a bit about the person who was banned. The mods seem pretty fair though.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Poplar7spruce, Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests