Transfering from Phoenix School of Law to ASU Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
studebaker07

Bronze

Transfering from Phoenix School of Law to ASU

Post by studebaker07 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:22 pm

I searched the Yahoo transferapps database but couldn't find any data on transfers from Phoenix School of Law to ASU.

I have been admitted to Phoenix School of Law but absolutely am DYING to attend ASU but I don't think it is going to happen for me since I haven't heard anything back from them since my application went complete in November (3.65, 158)

Is transferring from Phoenix School of Law to ASU possible assuming I do well in my first year (top 5% good)? I am going to practice law in Phoenix so that is why I want to stay here. Besides, the other schools I have gotten into seem super regional.

neskerdoo

Silver

Re: Transfering from Phoenix School of Law to ASU

Post by neskerdoo » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:35 pm

you should decline that offer of admission

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:37 pm

neskerdoo wrote:you should decline that offer of admission
+1. Those numbers are too good for you to not be considering other options.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:43 pm

Your numbers look good when compared to ASU's medians. Follow-up with the admissions office ... let them know how much you want to attend. Under no circumstance would I advise you to attend Phoenix School of Law ... even if it means waiting another year, and re-apllying, then just do it!

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:46 pm

chadwick218 wrote:Your numbers look good when compared to ASU's medians. Follow-up with the admissions office ... let them know how much you want to attend. Under no circumstance would I advise you to attend Phoenix School of Law ... even if it means waiting another year, and re-apllying, then just do it!
+1.8887

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:51 pm

PKSebben wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:Your numbers look good when compared to ASU's medians. Follow-up with the admissions office ... let them know how much you want to attend. Under no circumstance would I advise you to attend Phoenix School of Law ... even if it means waiting another year, and re-apllying, then just do it!
+1.8887
Can you display the equation that resulted in that number? K Thx.

Anonymous0L

Post by Anonymous0L » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:53 pm

coolkatz321 wrote:
PKSebben wrote:
+1.8887
Can you display the equation that resulted in that number? K Thx.
:lol:

studebaker07

Bronze

Post by studebaker07 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:06 pm

Okay so Phoenix -> ASU probably not the best option.

I will definitely continue to contact the admissions office at ASU to indicate my interest. But, if worse comes to worse, and ASU says no (praying that they don't), what about the following transfer scenarios:

McGeorge -> ASU
Chapman -> ASU
Buffalo -> ASU
Indiana-Indy -> ASU

Silver

Post by 06072010 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:16 pm

Don't go to any school banking on a transfer. You have to be happy graduating at the school you attend.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mrman17

New

Post by mrman17 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:24 pm

PKSebben wrote:Don't go to any school banking on a transfer. You have to be happy graduating at the school you attend.
+1

ubermensch

New

Post by ubermensch » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:40 pm

OP: I live in the valley, and I was in a similar situation to yours just a few months ago. (similar LSAT and GPA, and shooting for ASU)
I studied my arse off for the December LSAT and did considerably better. ASU is now the lowest-ranked school that I applied to, and with any luck, I'll be attending a t25.
Moral of the story: with a solid GPA, you shouldn't even be considering PSoL.

retake, retake, retake

studebaker07

Bronze

Post by studebaker07 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:49 pm

ubermensch wrote:OP: I live in the valley, and I was in a similar situation to yours just a few months ago. (similar LSAT and GPA, and shooting for ASU)
I studied my arse off for the December LSAT and did considerably better. ASU is now the lowest-ranked school that I applied to, and with any luck, I'll be attending a t25.
Moral of the story: with a solid GPA, you shouldn't even be considering PSoL.

retake, retake, retake
Thanks for the advice and congratulations.

I am on the fence about taking the LSAT again because I have already taken it twice (142 -> 158). I don't know how much better I could do on the LSAT if taken a third time and I am a little uneasy about taking another year off.

If ASU rejects me, retaking is definitely an option, but it is the option I will consider last.

ubermensch

New

Post by ubermensch » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:00 pm

BTW, I haven't heard anything from ASU since my complete email, so don't lose hope.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

studebaker07

Bronze

Post by studebaker07 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:04 pm

ubermensch wrote:BTW, I haven't heard anything from ASU since my complete email, so don't lose hope.
That is encouraging and it seems like the consensus that ASU just takes awhile on people's applications. Just from LSN, it looks like all the admits have been well above ASU's medians. I don't know if that means anything, but it gives me some solace.

Anyways, good luck on ASU and all your other apps.

Princy09

New

Post by Princy09 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:37 am

I am actually doing just that.. I got rejected from ASU, Ouch... my numbers are 157 3.2 and I am graduating from ASU in May.... I have no other option but to stay in AZ so I have decided to attend Phoenix.. I dont want to take a year off and I think im just going to take my chances and try to transfer after a year. When I went on a tour at Phoenix the admissions rep. told me that starting next year they are planning on offering additional scholarships to the students in like the top 15 or so of the class because they have had a problem of them transfering out to the "other big arizona state schools"... So good luck!! Hopefully you can get in the first time around...

Jordan77

Bronze

Post by Jordan77 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:45 pm

Hey guys, thought I would chime in on this...

I am a 2L at ASU, transferred after my first year. During my transfer orientation there were about 10-15 transferring/visiting students. Of those I think maybe 2 or 3 were from Phoenix School of Law. I am not sure of the percentages of Phoenix laws transfer apps to acceptances, but I guess you have a shot if you work hard.

studebaker07

Bronze

Post by studebaker07 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:49 am

Jordan77 wrote:Hey guys, thought I would chime in on this...

I am a 2L at ASU, transferred after my first year. During my transfer orientation there were about 10-15 transferring/visiting students. Of those I think maybe 2 or 3 were from Phoenix School of Law. I am not sure of the percentages of Phoenix laws transfer apps to acceptances, but I guess you have a shot if you work hard.
Thanks for the inside information on transfers into ASU.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you transfer from and what position were you at in your class when you transferred into ASU?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jordan77

Bronze

Post by Jordan77 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:19 pm

studebaker07 wrote:
Jordan77 wrote:Hey guys, thought I would chime in on this...

Thanks for the inside information on transfers into ASU.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you transfer from and what position were you at in your class when you transferred into ASU?
sent you a PM

Princy09

New

Post by Princy09 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:07 am

Could you send me the same PM if you dont mind.. :) Thank you

lmarie81

New

Post by lmarie81 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:12 am

Something else to be aware of is class ranking. If I am understanding ASU's page correctly, if you transfer, you won't be eligible to be ranked in your graduating class.

Unless an ASU student can correct me on that? (I would love if you could, since I would also love to consider transferring as an option.)

http://www.law.asu.edu/?id=404

brocklanders12

New

Post by brocklanders12 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:01 am

Wow, that's an old thread. Does anyone ever wonder what happens to all of these people asking about going somewhere just to transfer?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:52 pm

I'm interested in how it turned out for the OP as well. I'm considering making the same move

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:59 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:I'm interested in how it turned out for the OP as well. I'm considering making the same move
Retake LSAT.

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:24 pm

FWIW, not that it's a recommended course of action, but OP was actually able to transfer from Phoenix to Arizona St., with not even that great of grades IIRC.

dukelawguy144

Bronze

Post by dukelawguy144 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:32 pm

please please please please please do not go to Phoenix School of Law. These law schools should not exist and are considered a joke in the legal community. ASU is not much better either, but atleast it is on the lower end of mediocre. Just please retake the LSAT and reapply. Do not give a dime for the shithole that is Phoenix Law School.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”