how golden is my friend? retake or no?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
FinLaw
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:40 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby FinLaw » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:10 pm

IAFarmGirl wrote:A better LSAT than 175 will not help him, if he's out at any of the three it's for some other reason.


TITCR. You never want to say golden, but I'd say 99% chance he'd sweep. Taking it again, and maybe scoring lower, could only hurt him I think.

User avatar
MrSoOoFLy
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:10 pm

bloomlaw wrote:
MrSoOoFLy wrote:
bloomlaw wrote:No, I said sort of. I was more getting at the line you drew for when people on here definitely shouldn't give advice. Your line is one month. Before that, definitely no one should give advice, according to you. By making a joke, I illustrated how that line is ridiculous, because the amount of time on TLS has nothing to do with how much people actually know about law school, and that if you are basing it on some sort of "TLS genius acquiring timeline", you are an idiot. My line is until they finish law school, or at least a part of the process. The idea that people on TLS for less than one month are inferior in regards to giving advice compared to someone after one month, I find laughable. But according to my "incorrect negation", that's not correct. So if that's not what you were saying, than why did you mention the time period of one month? Or, in other words, what exactly were you implying? If you think no one should give advice, then why did you specify one group?


1. I said one month because the posters above us are answering "what are my chances threads" with incorrect information and have been here for less than a month and are wrong.

2. I'm using the people above as my sample size and yes they are morons and shouldn't be giving advice.

3. A 175 African American (URM) with a 3.7 should he retake? Are you fucking kidding me? Is him retaking going to raise his GPA? lol NOPE? And his GPA isn't even that bad. He's in PERFECT shape for YALE.

4. I offered you on olive branch, you turned it down. Good luck douche.


1. I'll make sure to tell Dean Pless that his words aren't really valuable to me until he reaches the one month time frame. (I know he's been there for longer)

2. Nice sample size. 4 people. Really thought that one out.

3. No arguments here.

4. Olive branch? You said I made a mistake. I didn't. And I didn't respond harshly at all, so there is no need to call me that. You were technically correct in your argument because you didn't directly say people after one month are different, but I'm pretty sure what you meant. Once again, why the one month time frame? Why not 4 months?

And, more importantly, what does time on TLS have to do with how much a person knows about the entire process?

After I made the initial joke, you could have said something like "yeah, good point." But you chose to be hardheaded and go all LSAT logical reasoning on me.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. OP, your friend is golden.


WOW LEARN TO CALL IT QUITS DUDE.

1. Bcuz the Dean is who I was referring to about giving bad advice?
2. Yes I referred to the people in THIS thread, sorry for making my post relevant to THIS thread and sorry I didn't blanket ALL OF TLS because that would've made more sense.
3. K
4. Again please look up necessary and sufficient conditions.
5. Why would I say good point? you were wrong then and you're wrong now...
6. I'm leaving this thread bcuz the issue has been answered but you sir are a nuisance.

mardimar
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:08 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby mardimar » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:16 pm

.
Last edited by mardimar on Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:27 pm

MrSoOoFLy wrote:Are you kidding me?

This kid should order his Yale hoodie now.

Edit: People who haven't been on this site for at least a month shouldn't give advice. :roll:


Most TLS members would disagree with this prediction. And I'm one of them.

Having "Yale-esque" #s does not guarantee an acceptance AT ALL. People with better #s than the OP's roommate are dinged frequently, while people with significantly lower #s are sometimes accepted. Yale looks for other stuff in the applicants it admits. According to what I've read, Yale prefers applicants with outstanding leadership potential. Therefore, the OP's roommate should work on showcasing his leadership qualities, as well as other desirable qualities, in his application package if he wants boost to his chances with Yale.
Last edited by OperaAttorney on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RussianGirl
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:06 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby RussianGirl » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:32 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
MrSoOoFLy wrote:Are you kidding me?

This kid should order his Yale hoodie now.

Edit: People who haven't been on this site for at least a month shouldn't give advice. :roll:


Most TLS members would disagree with this prediction. And I'm one of them.

Having "Yale-esque" #s does not guarantee an acceptance AT ALL. People with better #s than the OP's roommate are dinged frequently, while people with significantly lower #s are sometimes accepted. Yale looks for other stuff in the applicants it admits. According to what I've read, Yale prefers applicants with outstanding leadership potential. Therefore, the OP's roommate should work on showcasing his leadership qualities, as well as other desirable qualities, in his application package if he wants boost his chances with Yale.

Okay... but he should still definitely order the Harvard hoodie now. Cmon, this guy is SO in!

User avatar
LionelHutzIII
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:27 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby LionelHutzIII » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:37 pm

.
Last edited by LionelHutzIII on Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
RussianGirl
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:06 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby RussianGirl » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:39 pm

LionelHutzIII wrote:I'll go ahead and be the only person in the thread to offer you sound, 100% accurate advice. You're in here. You're only decision should be how fast you want your apparel shipped.

--ImageRemoved--

I might order one and wear it anonymously to a TLS meet-up

kjunfood
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:59 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby kjunfood » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:40 pm

GargamelITT wrote:
pany1985 wrote:just based on numbers, he's definitely not golden at all three

once you throw in the URM, though... probably


well, i was kinda banking on this as a big part of the equation. i assume he'd be out at all 3 if he were not a URM


what? even w/ a 3.7 and a 175 and NON-URM status he'd be a splitter for HYS -- hardly out (well, at least not out of Harvard automatically)

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:40 pm

LionelHutzIII wrote:I'll go ahead and be the only person in the thread to offer you sound, 100% advice. You're in here. You're only decision should be how fast you want your apparel shipped.

--ImageRemoved--


TLS Rule # 9: If a TLS member misuses "you're," disregard said member's advice.

User avatar
LionelHutzIII
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:27 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby LionelHutzIII » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:42 pm

.
Last edited by LionelHutzIII on Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:28 am, edited 3 times in total.

kjunfood
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:59 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby kjunfood » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:44 pm

Sorry, point is, no retake as it would not help him in the 3 schools (not really).

He is African American w/ those numbers. He is golden in at least ONE of the three, and a very good shot at all 3. Would be hard for all 3 of those schools to ding your URM friend.

slumcat
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:57 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby slumcat » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:03 pm

Dont retake the test. It could only hurt him. He's in all three as long as he doesn't screw up his PS or has bar eligibility issues.

User avatar
Cleareyes
Posts: 408
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:59 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby Cleareyes » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:06 pm

slumcat wrote:Dont retake the test. It could only hurt him. He's in all three as long as he doesn't screw up his PS or has bar eligibility issues.


Obligatory:

It's 'cause he's black, isn't it?

/Obligatory

jas5076
Posts: 50
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:21 am

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby jas5076 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:10 pm

kjunfood wrote:Sorry, point is, no retake as it would not help him in the 3 schools (not really).

He is African American w/ those numbers. He is golden in at least ONE of the three, and a very good shot at all 3. Would be hard for all 3 of those schools to ding your URM friend.


TITCR Incase his application spontaneously combusts on the admissions committee's table he should send applications to CCN, and what other T14 he or she would like to attend with a full scholarship.

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby 06132010 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:19 pm

In 2006-2007 two people with 175s retook, averaging a 174 the second time around. A few mistakes and he will do worse. It's kind of ridiculous at that point, especially as a URM.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:28 pm

Cleareyes wrote:
slumcat wrote:Dont retake the test. It could only hurt him. He's in all three as long as he doesn't screw up his PS or has bar eligibility issues.


Obligatory:

It's 'cause he's black, isn't it?

/Obligatory


I'm black, yet I didn't see it that way. Perhaps slumcat wanted to include the 2 most obvious reasons cycles sometimes go wrong.

User avatar
Cleareyes
Posts: 408
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:59 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby Cleareyes » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:33 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
Cleareyes wrote:
slumcat wrote:Dont retake the test. It could only hurt him. He's in all three as long as he doesn't screw up his PS or has bar eligibility issues.


Obligatory:

It's 'cause he's black, isn't it?

/Obligatory


I'm black, yet I didn't see it that way. Perhaps slumcat wanted to include the 2 most obvious reasons cycles sometimes go wrong.


I wasn't being serious. I was just making a joke that if someone wanted to take offense they could see it that way. I agree with your interpretation.

User avatar
Lizface killah
Posts: 149
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:28 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby Lizface killah » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:40 pm

This thread is like the transcript of a fart in an echo chamber.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:43 pm

Lizface killah wrote:This thread is like the transcript of a fart in an echo chamber.


+1 (even though I "aided" the echo :lol:)

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby dresden doll » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:59 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
MrSoOoFLy wrote:Are you kidding me?

This kid should order his Yale hoodie now.

Edit: People who haven't been on this site for at least a month shouldn't give advice. :roll:


Most TLS members would disagree with this prediction. And I'm one of them.

Having "Yale-esque" #s does not guarantee an acceptance AT ALL. People with better #s than the OP's roommate are dinged frequently, while people with significantly lower #s are sometimes accepted. Yale looks for other stuff in the applicants it admits. According to what I've read, Yale prefers applicants with outstanding leadership potential. Therefore, the OP's roommate should work on showcasing his leadership qualities, as well as other desirable qualities, in his application package if he wants boost to his chances with Yale.


That so? You just upped my hopes a little. I actually have a history of leadership positions in my on - campus ECs (serious commitments, not 'fluff' either). Ah, Yale, if only you'd condescend to look favorably upon my application...

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:17 pm

dresden doll wrote:
OperaAttorney wrote:
MrSoOoFLy wrote:Are you kidding me?

This kid should order his Yale hoodie now.

Edit: People who haven't been on this site for at least a month shouldn't give advice. :roll:


Most TLS members would disagree with this prediction. And I'm one of them.

Having "Yale-esque" #s does not guarantee an acceptance AT ALL. People with better #s than the OP's roommate are dinged frequently, while people with significantly lower #s are sometimes accepted. Yale looks for other stuff in the applicants it admits. According to what I've read, Yale prefers applicants with outstanding leadership potential. Therefore, the OP's roommate should work on showcasing his leadership qualities, as well as other desirable qualities, in his application package if he wants boost to his chances with Yale.


That so? You just upped my hopes a little. I actually have a history of leadership positions in my on - campus ECs (serious commitments, not 'fluff' either). Ah, Yale, if only you'd condescend to look favorably upon my application...


I hope things work out well for you, Dresden Doll. But don't quote me. LOL

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby dresden doll » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:20 pm

^I've been avoiding the Yale thread because I'm adamant about not getting emotionally invested into something that will likely not work out, but one cannot help hoping all the same. :oops:

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:25 pm

dresden doll wrote:^I've been avoiding the Yale thread because I'm adamant about not getting emotionally invested into something that will likely not work out, but one cannot help hoping all the same. :oops:


I've been trying to avoid the Yale Waiting thread because I find the endless obsessing pathetic and silly LOL. Life will go on if we don't get into Yale. What bewilders me are the folks in there with H acceptances :). If I were sitting on a Harvard acceptance, I'd so content. I'd probably check LSN and TLS once a week.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby dresden doll » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:34 pm

OperaAttorney wrote:
dresden doll wrote:^I've been avoiding the Yale thread because I'm adamant about not getting emotionally invested into something that will likely not work out, but one cannot help hoping all the same. :oops:


I've been trying to avoid the Yale Waiting thread because I find the endless obsessing pathetic and silly LOL. Life will go on if we don't get into Yale. What bewilders me are the folks in there with H acceptances :). If I were sitting on a Harvard acceptance, I'd so content. I'd probably check LSN and TLS once a week.


Agreed. I find it particularly funny, however, that some of those anxious applicants were happy to hop on board when treple started his 'why HLS over YLS' thread to fervently support his choice and try to prove that most Yale hopefuls would only pick it over H because it's first ranked. Could it be that they recognize traces of their own reasoning in such a rationale, eh? And, plus, if H isn't necessarily below Y, why all the fuss over that YLS acceptance? Are they not already sitting on an acceptance from a potentially 'more recognized' peer anyway?

FWIW, I would never, ever pick H over Y, even if rankings were switched. Second or first according to USNWR, Yale will always be better than Harvard in my eyes. They're just...idk, Yale. They own everyone else, first ranked or not.

User avatar
Marmot
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:33 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby Marmot » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:06 am

LionelHutzIII wrote:I'll go ahead and be the only person in the thread to offer you sound, 100% accurate advice. You're in here. Your only decision should be how fast you want your apparel shipped.

--ImageRemoved--


Holy shit! Does Cooley send hoodies for acceptance? It might be worth applying...




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BACsop, OhMyLaw, VandyMan32 and 5 guests