how golden is my friend? retake or no?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Lmao Zedong
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:10 am

how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby Lmao Zedong » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:52 pm

my friend is considering retaking the LSAT, and i'm under the impression that it would be a mistake. the situation:

he is black, and a UG junior at a well-regarded private university. GPA will be 3.65-3.7 when he's done (if it's important for this number to be as precise as possible, i can ask him for his best estimate).

he got a 175 on the feb LSAT, but wants to retake because it's a few points below what he was practicing at. he wants HYS. my impression is that he's already golden and can probably sweep them, and retaking the LSAT would be pointless / possibly even harmful.


what's the verdict?
Last edited by Lmao Zedong on Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
pany1985
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:08 am

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby pany1985 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:53 pm

just based on numbers, he's definitely not golden at all three

once you throw in the URM, though... probably

User avatar
JuryDueT1000
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:01 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby JuryDueT1000 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:53 pm

GargamelITT wrote:my roommate is considering retaking the LSAT, and i'm under the impression that it would be a mistake. the situation:

he is black, and a UG junior at a well-regarded private university. GPA will be 3.65-3.7 when he's done (if it's important for this number to be as precise as possible, i can ask him for his best estimate).

he got a 175 on the feb LSAT, but wants to retake because it's a few points below what he was practicing at. he wants HYS. my impression is that he's already golden and can probably sweep them, and retaking the LSAT would be pointless / possibly even harmful.


what's the verdict?


Gargamel should know the answer to that one. I wouldn't say golden, but he has a good shot.

User avatar
CaptainCubicle
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:41 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby CaptainCubicle » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:54 pm

I'm not sure if he'd be 100% set, but as an URM with those numbers he's in damn good shape. I'd side with your take on it.

User avatar
Lmao Zedong
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:10 am

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby Lmao Zedong » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:54 pm

pany1985 wrote:just based on numbers, he's definitely not golden at all three

once you throw in the URM, though... probably


well, i was kinda banking on this as a big part of the equation. i assume he'd be out at all 3 if he were not a URM
Last edited by Lmao Zedong on Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
IAFarmGirl
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:12 am

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby IAFarmGirl » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:55 pm

A better LSAT than 175 will not help him, if he's out at any of the three it's for some other reason.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby Kohinoor » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:20 pm

There are two URM applicant threads on the front page. One where TLS tells a URM with a 168 she'll sweep the T14 then this one where TLS tells a URM with a 175 he has a 'good shot'.

User avatar
michael_2013
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:31 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby michael_2013 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:23 pm

Your friend is as golden as he can get unless he can get his gpa just a little higher. As a URM he should be looking pretty good where he sits and probably not worth retaking.

User avatar
MrSoOoFLy
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:25 pm

Are you kidding me?

This kid should order his Yale hoodie now.

Edit: People who haven't been on this site for at least a month shouldn't give advice. :roll:
Last edited by MrSoOoFLy on Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lmao Zedong
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:10 am

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby Lmao Zedong » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:26 pm

Kohinoor wrote:There are two URM applicant threads on the front page. One where TLS tells a URM with a 168 she'll sweep the T14 then this one where TLS tells a URM with a 175 he has a 'good shot'.


yeah good point. both with a GPA in the same range too. what gives?

ama25
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:20 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby ama25 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:28 pm

your "friend" huh?

bloomlaw
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:18 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby bloomlaw » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:31 pm

MrSoOoFLy wrote:Are you kidding me?

This kid should order his Yale hoodie now.

Edit: People who haven't been on this site for at least a month shouldn't give advice. :roll:


I love how this sort of assumes that people who have been on here a month are qualified to give advice. Don't kid yourself.

User avatar
Lmao Zedong
Posts: 381
Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:10 am

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby Lmao Zedong » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:32 pm

yes my friend.
Last edited by Lmao Zedong on Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
MrSoOoFLy
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:33 pm

bloomlaw wrote:
MrSoOoFLy wrote:Are you kidding me?

This kid should order his Yale hoodie now.

Edit: People who haven't been on this site for at least a month shouldn't give advice. :roll:


I love how this sort of assumes that people who have been on here a month are qualified to give advice. Don't kid yourself.


Incorrect negation dip shit.

bloomlaw
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:18 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby bloomlaw » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:35 pm

MrSoOoFLy wrote:
bloomlaw wrote:
MrSoOoFLy wrote:Are you kidding me?

This kid should order his Yale hoodie now.

Edit: People who haven't been on this site for at least a month shouldn't give advice. :roll:


I love how this sort of assumes that people who have been on here a month are qualified to give advice. Don't kid yourself.


Incorrect negation dip shit.


name calling and ugly chin thing, fuckwad

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby dresden doll » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:36 pm

IAFarmGirl wrote:A better LSAT than 175 will not help him, if he's out at any of the three it's for some other reason.


TITCR. It's pointless.

User avatar
MrSoOoFLy
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:40 pm

bloomlaw wrote:
MrSoOoFLy wrote:
bloomlaw wrote:
MrSoOoFLy wrote:Are you kidding me?

This kid should order his Yale hoodie now.

Edit: People who haven't been on this site for at least a month shouldn't give advice. :roll:


I love how this sort of assumes that people who have been on here a month are qualified to give advice. Don't kid yourself.


Incorrect negation dip shit.


name calling and ugly chin thing, fuckwad


Hey I still win. You used a failed attempt at an assumption flaw to make your argument. I used a successful claim at incorrect negation. Our bickering about each other personally has nothing to do with this.

So shake hands and agree that you made a mistake and it's all gravy?

User avatar
bigrob24
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:29 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby bigrob24 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:47 pm

it would prob be the stupidest thing ever done to retake

User avatar
JackieTreehorn
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:31 am

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby JackieTreehorn » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:47 pm

Your friend has been touched by the hand of Midas and needn't go near the LSAT again.

bloomlaw
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:18 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby bloomlaw » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:54 pm

MrSoOoFLy wrote:
bloomlaw wrote:
MrSoOoFLy wrote:
bloomlaw wrote:
I love how this sort of assumes that people who have been on here a month are qualified to give advice. Don't kid yourself.


Incorrect negation dip shit.


name calling and ugly chin thing, fuckwad


Hey I still win. You used a failed attempt at an assumption flaw to make your argument. I used a successful claim at incorrect negation. Our bickering about each other personally has nothing to do with this.

So shake hands and agree that you made a mistake and it's all gravy?


No, I said sort of. I was more getting at the line you drew for when people on here definitely shouldn't give advice. Your line is one month. Before that, definitely no one should give advice, according to you. By making a joke, I illustrated how that line is ridiculous, because the amount of time on TLS has nothing to do with how much people actually know about law school, and that if you are basing it on some sort of "TLS genius acquiring timeline", you are an idiot. My line is until they finish law school, or at least a part of the process. The idea that people on TLS for less than one month are inferior in regards to giving advice compared to someone after one month, I find laughable. But according to my "incorrect negation", that's not correct. So if that's not what you were saying, than why did you mention the time period of one month? Or, in other words, what exactly were you implying? If you think no one should give advice, then why did you specify one group?

User avatar
badfish
Posts: 1160
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:53 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby badfish » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:58 pm

Don't retake. At some point it gets ridiculous. This person is a URM with a respectable GPA and a 175 on the LSAT, schools are dying for that kind of applicant.

User avatar
MrSoOoFLy
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:03 pm

bloomlaw wrote:No, I said sort of. I was more getting at the line you drew for when people on here definitely shouldn't give advice. Your line is one month. Before that, definitely no one should give advice, according to you. By making a joke, I illustrated how that line is ridiculous, because the amount of time on TLS has nothing to do with how much people actually know about law school, and that if you are basing it on some sort of "TLS genius acquiring timeline", you are an idiot. My line is until they finish law school, or at least a part of the process. The idea that people on TLS for less than one month are inferior in regards to giving advice compared to someone after one month, I find laughable. But according to my "incorrect negation", that's not correct. So if that's not what you were saying, than why did you mention the time period of one month? Or, in other words, what exactly were you implying? If you think no one should give advice, then why did you specify one group?


1. I said one month because the posters above us are answering "what are my chances threads" with incorrect information and have been here for less than a month and are wrong.

2. I'm using the people above as my sample size and yes they are morons and shouldn't be giving advice.

3. A 175 African American (URM) with a 3.7 should he retake? Are you fucking kidding me? Is him retaking going to raise his GPA? lol NOPE? And his GPA isn't even that bad. He's in PERFECT shape for YALE.

4. I offered you on olive branch, you turned it down. Good luck douche.

bloomlaw
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:18 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby bloomlaw » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:21 pm

MrSoOoFLy wrote:
bloomlaw wrote:No, I said sort of. I was more getting at the line you drew for when people on here definitely shouldn't give advice. Your line is one month. Before that, definitely no one should give advice, according to you. By making a joke, I illustrated how that line is ridiculous, because the amount of time on TLS has nothing to do with how much people actually know about law school, and that if you are basing it on some sort of "TLS genius acquiring timeline", you are an idiot. My line is until they finish law school, or at least a part of the process. The idea that people on TLS for less than one month are inferior in regards to giving advice compared to someone after one month, I find laughable. But according to my "incorrect negation", that's not correct. So if that's not what you were saying, than why did you mention the time period of one month? Or, in other words, what exactly were you implying? If you think no one should give advice, then why did you specify one group?


1. I said one month because the posters above us are answering "what are my chances threads" with incorrect information and have been here for less than a month and are wrong.

2. I'm using the people above as my sample size and yes they are morons and shouldn't be giving advice.

3. A 175 African American (URM) with a 3.7 should he retake? Are you fucking kidding me? Is him retaking going to raise his GPA? lol NOPE? And his GPA isn't even that bad. He's in PERFECT shape for YALE.

4. I offered you on olive branch, you turned it down. Good luck douche.


1. I'll make sure to tell Dean Pless that his words aren't really valuable to me until he reaches the one month time frame. (I know he's been there for longer)

2. Nice sample size. 4 people. Really thought that one out.

3. No arguments here.

4. Olive branch? You said I made a mistake. I didn't. And I didn't respond harshly at all, so there is no need to call me that. You were technically correct in your argument because you didn't directly say people after one month are different, but I'm pretty sure what you meant. Once again, why the one month time frame? Why not 4 months?

And, more importantly, what does time on TLS have to do with how much a person knows about the entire process?

After I made the initial joke, you could have said something like "yeah, good point." But you chose to be hardheaded and go all LSAT logical reasoning on me.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. OP, your friend is golden.

User avatar
lostmyname
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:24 am

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby lostmyname » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:26 pm

Tell your friend not to retake. After he gets into HYS, if he wants to re-take for vanity's sake, whatever, sure.

User avatar
OperaAttorney
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:48 pm

Re: how golden is my friend? retake or no?

Postby OperaAttorney » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:06 pm

With a decent PS/DS and LORs, your roommate should get at least 1 of HYSCCN. Of the holy trinity, I'd say Harvard's his best shot, as its admissions process seems to be more numbers-driven than SY's. Of the CCN, I'd say NYU looks good for him. Columbia's funny sometimes; in fact, it's been WLing many applicants with high indices. I don't know much about Chicago, though.

Objection, a current TLS member with a 177 and a ~3.4, is in at Harvard, Chicago, and NYU. He's waitlisted at Columbia and hasn't heard from both Stanford and Yale. If I remember correctly, he is biracial (black and white), 20 something, and a college senior. He says his softs aren't amazing. But who knows what the adcomms think?

My advice: Ride that 175 into the sunset. DO NOT RETAKE! Retaking the LSAT--with a 175 in hand!--is an unnecessary ego trip. Plus, you run the risk of scoring lower.
Last edited by OperaAttorney on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 1 guest