UConn placement in Boston/better or worse than Northeastern?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AlanShore

UConn placement in Boston/better or worse than Northeastern?

Postby AlanShore » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:08 pm

Hi,

I was just wondering what everyone thought/knew about UConn's placement in Boston. It's a solid school; I think you can get in-state tuition after 1 year. I really wouldn't want to live/work in CT after graduating. Does UConn place reasonably well in Boston? Would you say the job prospects are better or worse than Northeastern? Thanks in advance.

Hammer8498

Re: UConn placement in Boston/better or worse than Northeastern?

Postby Hammer8498 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:42 pm

Last edited by Hammer8498 on Wed May 01, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:13 pm

anyone?

jetlagz28

Postby jetlagz28 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:14 pm

I know that Northeastern places very well in Boston but not in relation to UConn.

muddywaters

Postby muddywaters » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:15 pm

jetlagz28 wrote:I know that Northeastern places very well in Boston but not in relation to UConn.

?

Anonymous0L

Postby Anonymous0L » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:16 pm

Go to NE.

jetlagz28

Postby jetlagz28 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:17 pm

Sorry, I guess my comment is pretty useless. I meant that Northeastern places very well in Boston but I don't know if its any better or worse than UConn.

muddywaters

Postby muddywaters » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:21 pm

I wouldn't say that NE places VERY well. BU and BC place VERY well. NE is probably closer to Suffolk in terms of Boston placement.

I would go to UConn.

CE2JD

Postby CE2JD » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:45 pm

MCGEORGE DOMINATES

teege

Postby teege » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:13 pm

Bump, any other thoughts here?

fenway

Postby fenway » Sun May 16, 2010 8:30 pm

uconn places better in conn. northeastern places better in mass. no debate whatsoever. outside of Boston most firms are boutique in New england so throughout the rest of the region it would depend on the particular firm. but again, Northeastern in a landslide for general placement in boston (should be pretty intuitive--Suffolk would be ditto--I bet if you checked Big Law in the city you'd even find more New England law grads than UConn). that is to say, someone who kills it at Uconn (Law review etc) is obviously going to have some good opportunities in Boston (and anywhere for that matter)

note: info/opinion coming from friend's dad who is a Partner at Choate Hall (best firm in the city)

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Sun May 16, 2010 8:38 pm

fenway wrote:note: info/opinion coming from friend's dad who is a Partner at Choate Hall (best firm in the city)

Haha, no.

And Uconn doesn't place too well inside Boston, at least for biglaw.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Mon May 17, 2010 2:50 pm

CE2JD wrote:MCGEORGE DOMINATES

Fuck, I hope they give me another one-day extension.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Mon May 17, 2010 2:57 pm

CE2JD wrote:MCGEORGE DOMINATES

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Mon May 17, 2010 3:06 pm

fenway wrote:uconn places better in conn. northeastern places better in mass. no debate whatsoever. outside of Boston most firms are boutique in New england so throughout the rest of the region it would depend on the particular firm. but again, Northeastern in a landslide for general placement in boston (should be pretty intuitive--Suffolk would be ditto--I bet if you checked Big Law in the city you'd even find more New England law grads than UConn). that is to say, someone who kills it at Uconn (Law review etc) is obviously going to have some good opportunities in Boston (and anywhere for that matter)

note: info/opinion coming from friend's dad who is a Partner at Choate Hall (best firm in the city)

I work in the city, and TITCR. Though it's still represented more so than any other out of state school anecdotally.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Mon May 17, 2010 3:21 pm

If you're looking for Biglaw, I wouldn't go to Northeastern. I spoke to a partner at Cooley (who went to BC) and he told me that he'd rather hire Suffolk grads than Northeastern grads because there is a much better means for differentiation. In order to get Big law you need to be at the top of your class at any of these schools. The problem with Northeastern that there is no such thing as being at the "top of the class." Top 10% at Suffolk or UCONN > Anything at Northeastern in Boston, and that's what you'd need to get Big Law
Last edited by bceagles182 on Mon May 17, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon May 17, 2010 3:29 pm

--ImageRemoved--

fenway

Postby fenway » Sat May 22, 2010 3:55 pm

bceagles182 wrote:If you're looking for Biglaw, I wouldn't go to Northeastern. I spoke to a partner at Cooley (who went to BC) and he told me that he'd rather hire Suffolk grads than Northeastern grads because there is a much better means for differentiation. In order to get Big law you need to be at the top of your class at any of these schools. The problem with Northeastern that there is no such thing as being at the "top of the class." Top 10% at Suffolk or UCONN > Anything at Northeastern in Boston, and that's what you'd need to get Big Law

based on numbers this does not seem that accurate. NE places just about 10% of their class in NLJ250, whereas Suffolk is about 5%. I think the grading system at NE is kind of confusing, but as Rasheed Wallace so eloquently put it, "BALL DON'T LIE". That is not to say that top 10% at Uconn or Suffolk would not be competitive with NE, or any school in Boston for that matter. I'd certainly give a considerable edge to Suffolk over Uconn in that scenario though based on the network suffolk has in boston. Uconn places more of its biglaw (7ish%) in Hartford and NYC

also, without being argumentative at all, which firm would the poster say is stronger in Boston than Choate? I'm certainly not an expert so I wasn't trying so much to make an absolute statement (I guess it would have been more prudent to have said "one of the")

Iconoclast

Postby Iconoclast » Sun May 23, 2010 2:20 am

fenway wrote:uconn places better in conn. northeastern places better in mass. no debate whatsoever. outside of Boston most firms are boutique in New england so throughout the rest of the region it would depend on the particular firm. but again, Northeastern in a landslide for general placement in boston (should be pretty intuitive--Suffolk would be ditto--I bet if you checked Big Law in the city you'd even find more New England law grads than UConn). that is to say, someone who kills it at Uconn (Law review etc) is obviously going to have some good opportunities in Boston (and anywhere for that matter)

This is a pretty good answer. It's a year too late, but it's pretty good :)

fenway

Postby fenway » Sun May 23, 2010 12:54 pm

yea I saw that after posting and felt like a clown. i'm glad the post at least got partial approval

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”