How To Get Off A Waitlist Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
angiej

Silver

Re: How To Get Off A Waitlist

Post by angiej » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:10 am

If one could feasibly do that, they probably do not need to go to law school.
They do if they want to be a lawyer. Just because they're rich doesn't mean they don't want to work.
Good point; since I've never nor will I ever find myself in a position, I obviously cannot relate. Though I imagine that rich or not, my love and interest for law would remain the same.

MrOrange

Bronze

Post by MrOrange » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:36 am

srb wrote:BJs and fresh baked cookies.
Worthless, witless response to a legitimate question.

As many people have suggested, there is no magic formula (and I don't know why "it depends on the school", unless certain posters were implying firsthand knowledge of select schools' waitlist histories). If feasible, schedule a school visit. Sit in on a class. And, while there, attempt (at least) to sit down with an admissions counselor. I've found it relatively easy, however, to schedule meetings with admissions deans and assistant deans (Pitt, Penn State, Seton Hall, Duquesne, etc.), given that you make yourself available for a range of dates/times. The only wall I've hit has been at UVA (where I was told that the deans won't schedule meetings ("interviews") with waitlisted candidates (though they did say I may be able to catch one during whatever day I choose to visit...take that at face-value. No guarantees). Post-visit write a good LOCI that relates your visitation experience/your underlying, significant interest in the school...in other words, make it personal/tangible. Also, definitely include anything important you've undertaken (project/thesis, work experience, etc.) since you first applied.

Apart from the above (and sending normal "extras" like updated transcripts, LOR's, etc.), there's not much else to be done.

cqphan89

New

Post by cqphan89 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:48 pm

If you can't get into see a member of the admissions committee find ways to be creative. You need to show how interested you are in the school and different programs. Some schools won't let you meet with anyone in the admissions committee, so be creative.

Set up meetings with professors to just "chat" with them about different programs, etc... research about the professor get to know their background intimately, read a few of their research papers. Or you can walk around campus and happen to "bump into" a university official, etc. If the respective school has a law center or clinical or concentration that you may be interested in, set up a meeting and talk to the Director of the respective program. While you're visiting, go meet with the SBA and different student organizational leaders. Go to their Career Center and meet with a representative. Sit in on classes, go to a student event (if you can).

From there you can craft a more creative LOCI. You can talk about meeting these people and how it reinforced your desire to attend the school and talk about the programs and student organizations. Talk about your feelings and more importantly talk about what you have to offer the university (outside of numbers) and how you and the school are a "good match."

Show them that emotional connection and also your excitement. Be sure to say that they are your top choice and that you will attend if called (if this is the case).

Be creative.

Good luck.

Waitlists stink.

GatorPi

New

Post by GatorPi » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:41 pm

Thanks everybody, this is really helpful advice! I'm going to start planning visits asap!

GatorPi

New

Post by GatorPi » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:14 pm

Ok, another question...

I've definitely decided to go to Bama next week and try to meet with an adcomm person. I'm a little worried about what I'm going to say once I'm actually sitting in front of them. I dont want it to seem like I just walked in begging for a place in their school. Any advice as to what topics of conversation to have ready when meeting with them? I want to make it meaningful and have them remember me. And have things to say in my follow-up LOCI!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flhealth

Bronze

Post by flhealth » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:18 pm

GatorPi wrote:Ok, another question...

I've definitely decided to go to Bama next week and try to meet with an adcomm person. I'm a little worried about what I'm going to say once I'm actually sitting in front of them. I dont want it to seem like I just walked in begging for a place in their school. Any advice as to what topics of conversation to have ready when meeting with them? I want to make it meaningful and have them remember me. And have things to say in my follow-up LOCI!
ask them what's it like to work for an institution that sold its soul to the devil (nick saban)? thats a good ice breaker

ebklove

New

Post by ebklove » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:02 pm

True story, I know someone who got off of the waitlist at the University of Texas in 2000 by taking brownies to the admissions office. They did not call until the first day of class at St. Mary's in SA, TX but she was able to leave St. Mary's and she went to UT

gottaloveJAG

New

Post by gottaloveJAG » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:52 pm

lloydchristmas wrote:What are your numbers if you dont mind me asking. URM?
gottaloveJAG wrote:I'm waitlisted at American and Wake Forest.

Any suggestions for getting off of their waitlist and onto their acceptance list?

I'm about to mail them a copy of an official univeristy notice that I just received in the mail that I made the Dean's List last semester.

159 (twice) and 3.4
Might be URM? I fill out Asian-Pacific Islander and Hispanic on the apps.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:23 am

You can bet that if there was a sure-fire way to get off a wait-list, everyone would know about it. It's like those get-rich-quick programs on late-night infomercials: If they worked, we'd all be rich already.

Your best bet is to just write a LOCI, get an additional LOR sent (if possible), and pray like everyone else.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

samer

Bronze

Post by samer » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:16 pm

I want to wake this thread back up and see if anyone knows anything about Notre Dame's waitlist, specifically. This is what I would like to know:

--How many people does ND waitlist?
--How many of these people does ND accept?
--I already wrote a pretty good "Why ND" essay when I initially applied, what else can I do now? (Besides another LOR, updated transcripts, and maybe a Feb LSAT retake)

Any other advice you might have on how to get off this waitlist would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ViP

Bronze

Post by ViP » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:26 am

Does anyone know how effective an LSAT addendum would be for a waitlisted applicant at a GPA-heavy school?

I was waitlisted at my number-one choice, and I know it's because my LSAT is a bit low (one point below the latest 25th). I only took the test once, and I can't confidently say that I can score higher.

I already submitted a LOCI to the school. Would it be appropriate and effective to send an addendum explaining my low LSAT score (and why I think I'm still a strong applicant)?

Anyone with some inside knowledge or success stories?

ViP

Bronze

Post by ViP » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:00 pm

I hate to have to bump, but can someone possibly answer the question I posted above?

beef wellington

Silver

Post by beef wellington » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:05 pm

I think I remember Anna Ivey saying that LSAT addenda are pretty much never a good idea. Especially since it sounds like you performed to your maximum ability...what could you possibly say? Focus on your strengths for a LOCI.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ughOSU

Bronze

Post by ughOSU » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:41 pm

ViP wrote:Does anyone know how effective an LSAT addendum would be for a waitlisted applicant at a GPA-heavy school?

I was waitlisted at my number-one choice, and I know it's because my LSAT is a bit low (one point below the latest 25th). I only took the test once, and I can't confidently say that I can score higher.

I already submitted a LOCI to the school. Would it be appropriate and effective to send an addendum explaining my low LSAT score (and why I think I'm still a strong applicant)?

Anyone with some inside knowledge or success stories?
Could also ask them if they would like to see you take the LSAT again. Then study your ass off and make sure you go up a few points. I think the fact that you're willing to invest all that time and energy in taking the LSAT again makes you look REALLY good to get off waitlists. A caveat of this strategy is that your LSAT score must go up.

e: also, I think LOCI is a good idea, but an LSAT addendum at this point is just not.

pollaclc

Bronze

Post by pollaclc » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:47 pm

Anonymous0L wrote:
lloydchristmas wrote:How much?....half serious.
Jwatson wrote:Donate.
anywhere between 100,000 (get you off the WL)-50,000,000 (Guaranteed Admissions for your next 5 generations) should do the trick.
false. my dad "jokingly" asked this on a tour at brown when i was looking at undergrads- specifically, if a mil would do it. they said no, it's more like donate a library.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”